Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mak0rz posted:

Question about the Pro controller: Any word as to whether it can be used instead of the Wii Classic controller for Wii games that support it?

If it's anything like the setup on the Wii whenever you're playing older games it wont recognize newer items. So i'm guessing no until they say otherwise. Now as for whether you can use your Classic Controller instead of having to buy a Pro Controller? That's up in the air. I haven't found an answer on that yet. I'm going to guess 'Yes' though because most games you can use the Wiimote/Nunchuck and that fits in that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious why it's coming out first in North America and not Japan :confused:

Pretty sure it's a lack of units due to some manufacturing slowdowns they've been rumored to have here and there. Makes sense to shift all your units to NA in time for Black Friday while still building units for Europe and Japan.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

2012 posted:

Watchdogs won't happen this gen. I do not care what they say. FOX Engine is scalable, but Project Ogre (or whatever it really is) is next gen. Ground Zeros was shown on a pc spec'd similar to a PS3 but, like Watchdogs, there is no way in hell that runs on a PS3 looking like that.

Watchdogs will be a launch title (or launch window) for next gen systems - I'll stick my neck out on that one.

They've come out and said it's for PS3/360 with the word floating around right after E3 that if Nintendo wanted it they'd put it on WiiU too. So, yeah.

The Operative posted:

Some of these large brick and mortar retailers are notorious for flubbing console launches. On the eve of the PS3's launch, I recall the BestBuy nearby my house using a lottery system as a means of handing out consoles. A lot of people who were in the front of the line left empty handed that day. I am sure that most of these retailers have gotten their act together by now, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least a handful of stores completely drop the ball.

Yeah, which is why even though I got ahold of like 5 separate Gamestops and got them all to repeat their "we're only taking so many pre-orders based on what we're supposed to get according to HQ" and i'm number 4 for a deluxe at mine, i'm still going to be there 11am just to make sure.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Uhm but the architecture WON'T be similar enough, especially when you look at the numerous engines being made for the 720/PS4 and developer comments about how they're not supporting the WiiU with those engines (UE4, anyway). They will not lead on the WiiU when the new 720/PS4 come out.

Louisgod posted:

I think it's far too early to make statements like this since we know next to nothing about the next X-box/PS4

No offense but I think this fits.

The Operative posted:

Unless I am mistaken, Mark Rein already mentioned that UE4 can run on Wii U.

Source

Yeah it was pretty much a "Oh it can go on there... but we're not gonna put for the effort to do it" sort of thing.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2012

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Louisgod posted:

I think there's a difference between architecture and engines, though, even though they go hand in hand in a way. I know it seems like I'm trying to twist the narrative to fit my points, but do you or others honestly not see the WiiU being the home to dumbed down ports or at least home to ports from the current generation like it's already becoming (ME3, Batman, etc.)?

Oh i'm absolutely certain the WiiU will get every garbage everything ever. Even more so than the Wii since it'll be able to handle stuff within the realm (even if it just winds up at the welcome mat) of the other systems later and all the systems now as well no doubt being cheaper to develop for later on when compared to the newer 720/PS4. It has that interesting middle ground that really makes it the target of everything.

Louisgod posted:

This is the big point: The engine can run on the WiiU and other platforms, but at what sacrifice, and will developers choose it over UE3 even if it means they'll have to spend more on development costs? It's good to see that Epic was just blowing smoke up people's asses.
The funny thing with Epic claiming the engine was coming 5ish years down the line but scalable so it'd be useable now it's a wonder if it'll be worth it for most developers who aren't EA to use it at all in comparison with UE3. The industry itself is at a really weird place and it's kinda interesting how much of a crap shoot everything could be just based on a few extra dollars here and there on either end of the coin.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 17, 2012

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

It is a knock against the Wii U. But I mean, it's loving dragon quest. Plus this poo poo is online and massive and probably has hundreds of hours of gameplay.

It's more a knock against the Wii since isn't the Wii U version pretty much just the Wii version with a few easy graphical upgrades and gamepad support?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

The N-gage was a fever dream I had once after being stung by a radscorpion in the brain. I will hear no different explanation.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

whoa I read this and thought I somehow time traveled without even realizing it

I went and checked my fridge for some SURGE cola.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Good news, it mostly isn't.

http://nintendoeverything.com/100529/lots-of-rayman-legends-details/

They make it sound as if they'll be taking the place of the mosquito levels, so i'd expect about that amount of All-Murfy levels.

quote:

General/gameplay details
- In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters
- Temporarily switch to Murfy when you reach certain sections

Well that's a relief.

quote:

- Murfy can be mischievous as well
- It’s possible to take a health bottle from someone who’s about to take it and give it to another player
- Ex: take lava and dump it on someone’s head

And that sounds like some good stupid fun.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Coins earned over the course of the game can be spent in a pachinko machine in order to win Nintendo-themed prizes; some of these are only available once you've unlocked them by playing their respective attraction

I'm hoping this is like the 3DS and Find Mii hats. I know it's dumb as hell but I fuckin' love my Samus helmet on my Mii.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

greatn posted:

All Nintendo protagonists are actually part of one giant Ditto, their race collectively is known as the founders.

"We demand more De Blob games."

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

I wasn't really interested in this until the wife and I played the demo unit at Best Buy today, after leaving we started talking about it and decided this could be our Christmas present for ourselves this year.

But being a Sunday the Best Buy had already closed, I'm wanting to get it there as I have some gift cards, I'm going to call in the morning but on the off chance does anyone know whether they are still doing preorders, or if it would be possible just to show up next Sunday and pick one up?

If you kill someone with a preorder and wear their skin in there's about a 50-50 chance you'll get one assuming they don't notice the blood trail. That seems to be the only way.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Not that i'm saying it's good anyway but doesn't Jim Sterling pretty much poo poo on just about everything?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

But we still haven't determined whether or not NSMB is played out/Smash is a real fighting game/Mario Kart is fair/the new Zelda game is gonna conform to my weirdly specific vision!

1) NSMB is played out a touch but trials and poo poo and world maps make it feel all better on your no-no spots.

2) Smash is a real fighting game, you fight each other and it's a game, quit being stupid.

3) Mario Kart ISNT always fair but that IS part of the fun, take the stick out of your rear end.

4) Zelda will conform to EVERYONES specific vision because instead of the typical forest/fire/water temples they'll do different eras. Wild West. Swashbuckling. Steamboat Zeldy. Even a 2D top down area and a side scrolling setup like Legend/Link to the Past and Zelda 2 respectively. It'll all end with a running rousing space opera battle on a giant rainbow bridge and you'll defeat Mecha Ganon by dropping the Majora's Mask moon on top of his head in a scene that will melt disks and spontaneously cause tears to roll from your eyes in it's glory. A vocal 1/3rd of the fans will still call it the worst Zelda game and ask why it couldn't be more like Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/Ocarina/LTTP/Zelda 1 until the next one comes out.

There now that that poo poo is done we can get back to talking about important poo poo like how Nintendo is loving US AGAIN by only offering backwards compatibility that works on all it's last consoles games unlike pretty much all those other console companies ever. The lazy fucks!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

So Kotaku (I know I know) did a Q&A today I guess on the Wii U and this little interesting tid bit I didn't know about came up.

quote:

Is there added Mii customization? Are you able to use the camera to automatically generate Mii characters?

ARE THERE UNLOCKABLE HATS?

quote:

Stephen Totilo-
I imported my Mii from my 3DS and still can't talk about system-level features. Because of that, honestly, I haven't even looked at the Mii creation options. There could be hats. There could be giraffes.

Bolding is mine. Well that is handy as hell. When my wii died in 2010 and they had to repair it all the memory was lost except for what I could excavate in it's dying days but unfortunately didn't think to save my miis. Took me forever to get it just right again and once again. Appreciate being able to import it over instead of having to hold it up and try to match poo poo.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

So in ZombiU's multiplayer, giantbomb is showing one player using the pro controller and the other using the tablet controller. Can the survivor player use remote/nunchuck instead of the pro controller?

Yeah, according to the manual those are the three options. Not sure how responsive it is, i'm hoping for MOH:H2 or Prime 3 style smoothness.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

I think the only thing I can honestly say i'd really wish ZombiU had that it doesn't is more connected areas. You go to each area by way of fast travel sewer grate, some areas are smaller some are larger, some are pretty much a labyrinth setup. Just no way to go between two areas without fast traveling. It's not much but it's my one gripe so far, other than that it's an actual factual survival horror game. Its fun if you really enjoy that instead of action horror.

And yes there is variety. Between regular zombies and helmet zombies and attention whore zombies i've seen so far i've had to fight/run/plan accordingly in different spots.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 19, 2012

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Got a question. Played a bit this morning and afternoon and completely forgot that I didn't transfer over my Wii stuff. Going in there there's some veiled comments about software on the WiiU being wiped. If I do a Wii transfer now will it wipe all my save data/mii/whatever i've already put on the WiiU or will it just wipe the Wii menu stuff? Anyone do a wii transfer after playing awhile?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Toady posted:

To me, the NEW NINTENDO CONSOLE has an air of sadness about it because it feels like the last or near-last major console from Nintendo before becoming a software developer.

This really should be a banable phrase if for nothing else for how often it's been said and how wrong it's always been since, what, the gamecube?

nerdbot posted:

Console Wars/Gaming Forums

Amen. Watching people get angry to go out of their way to poo poo on a console they, by their own admittance, shouldn't care enough about to get that angry should be a national pasttime.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 20, 2012

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Apparently the game tosses other Zombi-U player's infected into your game, too, because I keep running into named infected with bobs (that aren't me).

It does and is like the best way for a quick ammo replenish. Got a rifle back from a fellow goon's zombie that I had lost prior.

quote:

spitting zombies

Those guys are assholes and pretty good shots. One hit from them turns fighting a single that you've got on the ropes into a fight for your loot

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

Yes you will eventually win the war of attrition, there will be one extra due to your shambling corpse, but there can only be one of those at a time. Just keep keepin on.

One tip: crawling zombis can be one-shot killed. Try and lead them to that crawl space, and smash them as they follow you through.

Another tip: Try to get them to climb over half walls (I think there's one office where the windows are busted out and they have to crawl over to get to you) and while they're bent over club em', almost always knocks em' to the ground with a chance to one shot em'.

flyboi posted:

Problem is I died getting my loot so I lost all my loot :saddowns:

Tip: Add CommissarKen because although I don't always die, when I do it's always with the finest of loots that you can pick off my zombie corpse. Can't count how many times i've lost that carbine and now i've just got a fancy shotgun to lose!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

How do you get to the second map? I beat the first one and it just started me over...

You need to beat the first one twice. Which I can't even do because I die on that last little fall in the stack before you get to Pauline. I love how stupid hard this gets.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Alright seeing as there's no ZombiU thread which is goofy i'll post this here for you who have gotten that far. Spoilers yo. Alright i'm on the mission where you have to get to the gas station in Spitalfield Green so you can get the generators back up for the safe house. Only problem is i'm stuck. I head to the back of the Markets down that one walkway and there's a coded door there. I look around with the black light and in that little two door shed there's half of a code in it and half of a code on the wall. Now I figured it was like the Raven's room in the Warehouses where you get the Dee letter and the smg (or like half of the Riddler's Clues in Arkham City) where you have to line it up and then scan it but unlike that one it's never lining up for me. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I'm pretty worried that my game is bonked since I still have the "get to the roof" mission from the prior mission that I guess glitched out and left the 'get to the roof' part there even though I did and it didn't accept it and it checked off all the objectives prior and after. Sorry for the rambling paragraph. Any help would be appreciated.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

gobbledygoat posted:

Sorry 'bout all the black bars, thread, but better safe than sorry.

I just scanned the two seperate pieces of the code, it gave me x-x-number-number and number-number-x-x, then I just imput those. Can you not scan them at all? I had issues with the roof objective too, it wasn't starting the cutscene even after I cleared it off, but a quick save reload solved that. I'm not sure about your bug but I think if you're still getting the find fuel objectives you should be okay?

Crazy, yeah it doesn't let me scan either one at all. As for the roof stuff it all played out like it should have according to a walkthrough I looked at after I got stuck (which by the way all end before where I am which was nice and frustrating. Heh.) it just never took that objective away and i've got the "Go to Spitalfield Green" one too now so who knows. FAKE EDIT: Just turned it back on and doubled back to Tower of London and a chopper is still there hovering off to the side and the objective refuses to go away and the code at the door in the markets refuses to let me scan it. Guess I get to start over. C'est la vie.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

shadowobsessed posted:

Oh, I didn't see this post! I will definitely try this; of course, the Wii U menu is so confusing that I can't guarantee I'll find it right away, but it's better than no idea on how to fix it at all. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

If I remember correctly it's hit start while you're running around the park, then options then you can change the language of people who come to your park. Pretty straight forward.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

FanaticalMilk posted:

On Miiverse posts, what does the Box with a check mark indicate?? It's located in the lower right corner, next to the "Yeah" and "Comment" tallys.

That the person who posted actually played the game. Which is pretty nice for weeding out trolls.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Veotax posted:

Wasn't Metro one of the games in the montage at E3 when the Wii U was announced? Granted, that wes probably just THQ saying to Nintendo "Sure, we'll make that" before knowing if they even could.

I'm pretty sure it was too. All the info around it is just a clusterfuck right now. Even those 4 A guys later put a semi-retraction up that that wasn't exactly what they ment and that they just didn't have the time to optimize it for it since they had no time as it was and the PS3 version took so much of their time and then someone associated said something similar but that they heard it's slow and yadda yadda. I'm just not taking anything anyone says on either side of any fence at face value right now. I know pretty and fun games can be made on it, I own 2 and those are just launch titles.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It was ridiculously hard to get around Christmas time the first year it was out, and even the next Christmas IIRC, but there really weren't lines or price gouges going on during launch.

There were lines everywhere. Hell I was flat rear end in a lay back lawn chair with my friend watching Venture Bros and Street Fighter the Movie and playing Mario Kart DS with the 20 or so people in line when we showed up 6-7 hours prior to launch alongside a Toys R Us. That line grew to 80+ by midnight. Hell there were even little lines at Targets every sunday morning for months after because that's when they got their shipments in.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

There's a shortcut through area 10:

You can fall directly off of the first platform off the right and land to the right of the ending flag. You have to be just barely moving and keep your speed consistent, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it in 1-2 tries. You actually do a full forward flip and land square on your wheels. I'm able to do this more consistently than doing the area the "right" way.

I think a lot of people know about that spoiler but I don't want to assume anything.

I've played through that first course a lot and this is still the only way i'm able to finish it. Have no clue how to do it any other way.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Cool, thanks for the answers. I've read of people playing while making GBS threads and figured it had decent range. GUESS NOT.

It really is based on whats between you and the system. I can sit on the shitter and play with plenty of walls between us and it works fine but I move one room over to the master bedroom with only one extra wall and maybe 8ish feet and it doesn't work anymore.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

I read the FAQ, but didn't see this answered. My live-in boyfriend got a Wii U for Christmas, that we'll both use. We both made Nintendo Network accounts – but should there be only one account per Wii U, or an account for each person who will be using it?

You can do either/or. All the demos and as far as I know downloaded games are accessible from both accounts. Also some games split the saves via what profile you're on.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

If you had an SNES you had Super Mario World and if you really loved SMW you owe it to yourself to get NSMBU because it's as close to it as any 2D mario has come in the past what 20 years? And yeah I love ZombiU, it's the game that makes zombies scary again instead of fodder. The situations it puts you into will have you really tense and I luuuurve me some survival horror genre type stuff. Also if you dig Platinum they've got Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 comin' out on it somewhere down the line and Pikmin and Monster Hunter by March as well. Pretty good haul for games you probably wont be able to get analogues for on the other consoles/pc.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Is the answer C?

I just drew a picture of a fire truck.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

I think if a big SCRIBBLENAUTS IS CHEAPER ELSEWHERE could be slipped under it's section in the OP then I think we could all kindly shut the gently caress up about how it's cheaper elsewhere and go about other business.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

greatn posted:

I think that says the Wii is outselling the U presently

No, according to that article it sold 25,000 less than the Wii did in it's same launch month. Which really isn't that low in comparison even though the Wii was supply constrained yadda yadda. On the whole it's been more profitable even though they sold 19% less than the Wii did in the same time span. The title is really misleading though and probably views bait.

Don't you people ever get sick of playing armchair business analyst? I mean, I get that the pre-launch thread was like this because there was gently caress-all else to talk about, but the drat thing's out now. Play it.

This.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Rack posted:

I got Nintendoland with the deluxe model, and every time I play it I just get disappointed that I can't play the majority of the game. I'd personally go so far as to say "don't buy it unless you definitely have other people to play it with".

Ehhh, you can play a damned good chunk. Only Mario Chase, Animal Crossing: Sweet Day and Luigi's Mansion you can't play solo... granted those are really fun though. I'd still say either pick up NSMBU or change your mind and grab ZombiU anyway as it's a pretty good slice of survival horror.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I'd buy that, though they should totally throw Luigi in (even though he isn't a reject) and make him a bigger weirdo.

The glorious return of Mr. L!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's got nothing to do with not seeing the hardware potential it's just that there's really no need to reinvent the wheel in alot of cases. Alot of the new games coming out like the new Monolith RPG seems to be using the full resources of the system as far as using all assets related to ingame graphics and everything. Just like they did with Xenoblade(which was probably the best game on the entire system), however Xenoblade didn't even use the wii-mote features because there really was no need for them to be tacked on. I mean if you're building all genres around a hardware action feature you're going to wind up limiting the genres on the system itself. Hell most DS games didn't even use the second screen for anything major most of the time.

Just because you don't NEED it doesn't mean it's not worth trying out if you've got a good idea. You can make a good fun fighter with nothing but a d-pad and two buttons but that doesn't mean you don't want to try more buttons/things/poo poo. I think a turn based strategy or a SRPG would do really well on the pad.

JT Jag posted:

What's the consensus on the Wii U these days? Is there just not enough worthy titles out there to really warrant buying one yet?

Nintendoland, NSMBU, ZombiU and Sonic Racing are all really good titles on the U with Rayman Legends coming out the end of February and Monster Hunter coming out in March. So yeah if you like really good platformers or an actually suspenseful survival horror game or a really solid racer it wouldn't hurt to pick it up. Otherwise no one would blame you for waiting.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 27, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Any guns on your survivor go away (at least I never found any) but you can use CCTV to find replacements, and anything in your box back home stays.

I've never had a gun not show up on zombie of my corpse if I go right away and kill it. Might be a randomized smattering of your goods depending on whether your pack was full or not though so who knows. I've never not left a few spaces in my pack in case of emergency so that could be it. That being said, yes if you die trying to get it back they will show up on CCTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Policenaut posted:

I thought ZombiU was pretty sweet, even if the developers just admitted that we deserved better melee combat.

I'll concur. I'd say so far ZombiU, NSMBU, and Sonic Racing. Nintendoland too for being far better and having more to it than anyone ever expected it to be.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Isn't this the same logic he used for the PS3 launch back in 06?

Michael Pachter is almost always wrong about anything he ever says. So much so even people who feature him on shows or articles and such call the things he says "Pachterisms"

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 29, 2013

• Locked thread