Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Good poo poo, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I can't believe "the news" turned people into such absolute bitches on a whim. All they have said is that a portion of the game turns it into a sorta rhythm game which seems to make sense to me especially considering the levels mentioned are timed to fit a song anyways. The other option would be to have Rayman run on his own which means you could only interact by hitting a single button to jump/hit things and that would be...exactly the same. I like the idea of mixing up the game, when have people stopped enjoying things?

For the record, I've played the game as both Rayman and the-guy-who-controls-the-GamePad and it's fun both ways.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

SyRauk posted:

The deluxe version is completely sold out everywhere. This is my punishment for not keeping up with anything. Maybe they'll have more when Christmas rolls around? :(

Come to Germany, all our stores still have preorders wide open. Of course you'll end up paying 30% for the same product but that's ok because you also won't have TVii!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not just the rhythm levels though.

Which still sucks regardless because the tricky chase levels in the previous game were loving amazing and a ton of fun.

Be that as it may (and, reminder, no one knows yet), I stand by my words. The sheer amount of whining in the old thread over it was ridiculous and what makes pre-release threads basically unreadable. I mean seriously:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This breaks my heart in ways I didn't know possible for a video game to do. Seriously; why did it come to this.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's unplayable. That's not a GAME. That isn't RAYMAN. gently caress this game if that's true. Holy poo poo.

fivegears4reverse posted:

And suddenly I don't care about Rayman Legends any more.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Talk about ruining what was once one of the most anticipated games at the Wii U launch.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

everyone who is of sane mental health would hate it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

If this is true, then what a way to singlehandedly gently caress up what should be a surefire masterpiece of a platformer.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

If you've already got an external hard drive ready I don't really see a reason to buy the deluxe edition unless you want NintendoLand.

As for me, I went for the 50€ extra because a) I want Nintendoland b) black looks nice and c) the 10% saved on digital purchases (hopefully!) applies to eShop games such as Trine et al. as well, not just to full retail games. I pretty much never buy those digitally on consoles but saving 10% on Virtual Console stuff and smaller games over two years might still add up to 10-20€. In that case, 32GB might actually last me a while, too, although I do have an external HDD around if it gets too bad.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The secret downside is that it'll take forever for most of the content providers to show up, and it'll be absolutely worthless to anyone not in America or Europe.

Fixed. As far as NoE is concerned, TVii doesn't exist, the only reason I've heard about it is because of this thread. Speaking for Germany though, it'd be impossible to implement because our streaming media are nowhere near as delevoped. There's pretty much only two providers (Sky and LoveFilm/Amazon) and they're both complete garbage.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

How is that surprising? They've been doing repairs/replacements on issues not covered by warranty for decades.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

greatn posted:

I wasn't interested in Rayman, ironically, until the news you don't control Rayman that turned everyone else off. The game looked way too frenetic for me and too busy, and not something you explore, but the revelation that you actually are effecting the stage while Rayman does stuff makes it more of a puzzle game where you come up with solutions to obstacles, which is a lot more up my alley.

For the record, that's just a portion of the game; in fact, how big or small a portion it supposedly is is what caused the minor shitstorm here. So far, all the demos show the game as a "proper" jump'n'run (I played it at Gamescom) and while the part you mention does exists (and I am looking forward to it), it's not the whole game.

Still a good preorder.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

ChuckLogan posted:

(But I truly hope that everyone in the Nintendo promotional videos are midgets and the controller will be "normal" size.

EDIT: vv I don't doubt that is is light (rated at 1.1 lb., it just looks cumbersome and reminds me of my 10 month old holding an Ipad. :3: )

I played it at Gamescom, it's fine. So is the "heft" of the Gamepad Pro, by the way. Can we dial back the "prereleaseness" of this thread a bit, maybe? You people freak out over literally anything when hardly anyone in here has even touched the thing or played a game. (I know that's the reason why but seriously, chill out.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Couple of small bits of news:

EDGE posted a nice preview/hands on of some of the games in Nintendoland.

For you US folk, while amazon.com doesn't offer preorders on the console, they do offer them on the GamePad Pro for some reason, so if you think you might have a hard time finding that it might be worth putting down an order with them.

For us EU people, amazon.co.uk listed the "Join Or Die" edition of Assassin's Creed 3 for preorder (60 GBP), the only outlet to do so so far. I don't care much for special editions in general, but if you're into that, it might be good to know it's coming.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

loving hour long cutscenes of "YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING" and anime poo poo does not make a good game.

I want to thank you so much for not typing "does not a good game make", you have no idea.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

greatn posted:

I really don't get the loving deal with Zombies. It's almost as ubiquitous as "BACON!" and seems like a huge in joke every one except for me is in on. Is it that people have found a fictional class of person it is morally acceptable to slaughter?

It's not just you, zombies seem like this decade's pirates and ninjas and do absolutely nothing for me. I liked games such as Dead Rising, back when it was a novelty, but it has long worn out its welcome for me. poo poo like zombies in RDR, COD, Yakuza et al. just seems like monkey cheese to me and I ignore it on principle.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

WiiU is available all over Europe still; I really think the preorder craze in the US is a case of either artifial scarcity on Nintendo's end or just retailers covering their asses because they don't know how many more units above a certain threshold they'll get in stock. I would imagine some of them will get extra alotments for preorders or are holding back stock for midnight releases etc.; don't panic.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I meant it more in the sense of them only guaranteeing Gamestop 50k units right now so Gamestop only sells 50k preorders but in the end, they'll be able to ship them 90k units or whatever. Basically the numbers aren't set in stone and either Nintendo themselves or the retailers are erring on the side of caution so they can fill all their preorders.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

basically, Waluigi.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

As I said the game is difficult, just like Demon/Dark souls. Some people are going to get stuck on the Taurus demon forever and call it a lovely game, others will push on through and love the feeling of accomplishment. MH is not for everyone, it's for people who love a challenge and love completing games 100%.

That's all cool and stuff, however (and note that I am completely impartial here; MH isn't my genre), you'd have more success getting someone to accept your opinion if your argument wasn't based on the player either passing some arbitrary skill barrier (and thus liking it) or being too bad at the game (and thus not liking it). It comes off as unnecessarily elitist; I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't enjoy the game even though they wouldn't flail around at the first boss forever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Japantime was awesome, if you're on European time it would update at 9am; it was like an advent calendar for nerds. :3: Bring it back.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I have never touched a third party controller that wasn't poo poo compared to the original. They're for poor people and friends you hate.

*e: also it does look hideous.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The Japanese/European SNES controller looks dope, but not when it's superimposed into the middle of a bigger controller with analog sticks and a power button awkwardly cutting into the design.

This, plus it's just a photoshop and will end up looking like rear end regardless. If you wanna feel retro, buy retro (or at least the proper SNES Controller for Wii)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Yes" is getting dangerously close to beating "Waluigi" and that's just bullshit.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I don't buy any games at full price, no game is worth more than 30€ to me. I either wait a couple weeks after release or I order them in the UK, where they run pretty good discounts right away usually; Steam sales are also an option. As is buying used.

I guess publishers would argue that if there were only people like me, games wouldn't be profitable (which I'd argue) but since there are plenty of people willing to pay full price, I am more than ok with having them offset my savings.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 18, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I am trying to think of shooters (because it's that and Madden/FIFA) that haven't been discounted after a month and I can only come up with the CoD franchise, which has Nintendo first party game levels of price stability. I should have mentioned I don't play console shooters, but your argument is valid in those cases.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

zenintrude posted:

The first M stands for "massively" :ssh:

Consider a single game to be an instance and the lobby/ranking to be Orgrimmar and I just blew your mind. :ssh:

I have no idea if the CoD games even have a lobby; MMO has become a worthless title though, if a lovely 200 people Korean MMO server gets the "M", so do CoD, FIFA, Madden et al. Not to mention you can play WoW all day to "completion" without ever leaving a city or encounter more than 24 other people at a time.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 23, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

3DS post price drop.

He said started. Also the best pricing model is obviously a cellphonesque monthly contract fee because Microsoft and ugh I can't finish this sentence.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

A new console being understocked isn't news, it's the norm.

quote:

#1 Zarckan 26/10/12, 9:35 am

Bull poo poo!

Nobody wants the bloody thing, as such Nintendo are doing a PR thing to make people thing there will be shortages so they all go, like lemmings, and pre-order it!

:allears:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

And compared to the life of AV products like televisions and DVD players its pitifully short.

DVD players were relevant for maybe six or seven years before Blu-Ray arrived; TVs have been commented on already.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I mean relevant as in state-of-the-art. Blu-Ray has definitely left the "early adopters/enthusiasts only" phase of it's lifecycle and is moving into the mass market at a massive rate. At least here in Germany, it seems like DVD releases are an afterthought to the Blu-Ray.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The gamestop at my school still doesn't have one up. When I asked the employee said "Yeah we have it but we're not gonna put it up because then the place would be full all the time."

At least they were honest. Sucks though.

Call corporate and let them know. They're going to have to roll the thing out the next time their Area Manager/a Nintendo rep (rarely, but it happens) comes by anyways because Nintendo is paying good cash for these machines to be placed and if GameStop doesn't comply they're in serious poo poo.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Jesus what did I start. All I meant to say I that GameStop gets paid (by Nintendo) to display that WiiU, not to decide it's too much of a hassle. I worked at GameStop (in Germany) and we always have to make sure paid displays (such as the Blizzard corner) were set up properly, otherwise corporate would bitch because whoever paid for it would bitch.

Video games.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Both of them. I was eleven. I had to watch.

Seriously though I dislike the whole culture and the kind of people it breeds, if you have rankings on the next smash bros you can avoid that whole mess.

These people aren't "bred" by the game, they've always been like that and Smash is just an outlet. Just like you seem predisposed to taking certain communities too serious and drag your hatred of them into unrelated discussions instead of just ignoring them.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 31, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well we know

• Prices look like they'll be the same as the retail equivalent

I know it's not part of your argument but this is, and (for the forseeable future) never will be, true for digital purchases on consoles as long as they make the price equivalent of the MSRP and call it even. Games go on sale for 50% and more all the time if you know where to look, good luck getting prices like that on PSN/XBLA/e-shop.

Buying digitally is pissing away money and the sooner people realize it, the sooner we might reach actual price parity.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I've been playing video games for over twenty years and I have never dropped a controller, handheld or anything else I used to play bideo on the ground, much less with enough force to break it. What the gently caress.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

I mean the system seems like it would be ideal to bring a console remake of 999 or Zero Escape

Yes, more remakes, gaming certainly suffers from a lack of those.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

How about they're not doing it because someone did the math and the cost/benefit ratio was off (this also goes for F-Zero) . How about that instead of whatever reason you made up in your head?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Well, I mean, as long as they're maximizing profits I guess I'm ok with it then. Wait a second, what the gently caress am I talking about and when did I become a shareholder in Nintendo LLC or whatever? When did people start accepting poo poo from game companies and excusing it because "well it probably made financial sense for them." Jesus Christ.

It's not about "accepting poo poo", it about people forgetting time and time again that video games are a business. I am also not "excusing it", I am stating that it's much more likely that they didn't do it because I doesn't make financial sense than because of some technical issue that may or may not exist. Lastly, I would like to see Wii games upscaled as well but tough poo poo, it's not happening until they decide the investment is worth it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I feel like having to listen to children on Live is a rightful punishment for playing console shooters voluntarily. Also as a non-American, I love watching Black Friday because it seems like your stores are trying to one-up each other in how many people they can get to injure each other every year, like they're having some weird dystopian challenge between them.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you're really anal about it, you could probably set it up, connect everything, pop it in the stand if you want, and THEN peel the plastic off.

And then kill yourself because you care about fingerprints on a loving console that will be collecting dust in your TV stand for the next five years, never to be taken out again.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

You should still probably not care about fingerprints on devices made to be held in your hands but to each their own.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well it just says digital purchases so that would make sense. If those kinds of games aren't discounted my 10% will go to waste because gently caress paying MSRP for a digital version if every store discounts the physical ones by 10-20% on release day and even further down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Whelp, I just spotted my first Wii U scalper. On my local craigslist someone is selling his pre-order from Wal-mart for $600. :rolleyes:

I'm finding myself hoping that the Wii U gets off to a PS3 style slow start just so that anyone who does try this kind of stuff gets burned as badly as the PS3 guys did six years ago.

If you're not making money off of impatient nerds you are missing half the fun of console launches. I ended up with 2 Wii consoles on release day because I didn't trust either of the places I preordered at and sold the extra one for ~350€ when they launched at 250€ here. No regrets. It works both ways though, if you were dumb enough to buy PS3s to resell you deserve to lose your money.

• Locked thread