Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

After beating round 20 on the Metroid Nintendoland game, I drew a terrible GET OUT frog as a response.

Someone almost immediately sent me a friend request saying "GET IN". I'm so glad Nintendo actually understands online now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I hope Nintendoland was a part of everyone else's New Year's Eve. Animal Crossing Sweet Day was the obvious drunk favorite of the night.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crawfish posted:

It's just weird that they've started making some steps towards a better experience with the 3DS, like folders and System Transfer, and then ignored all of that for their new console.

Both folders and system transfer were post-release updates for the 3DS. I'd be surprised if the U Virtual Console released before folders are added. The fact that they actually have a user account instead of tying them to the system makes me think there will be some sort of transfer ability added in the future.

Then again, Nintendo.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Last week I saw a message in Super Mario that was just swearing over and over again. Kind of sad, really.

There's several messages on the Funky Barn Miiverse that are basically "funky funky funky funky funky funky fucky funky funky funky" that have been there for several days. :3:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hell yeah, just tore up my Wii games until I found one I hadn't registered, I was 20 points short.

Thank you, Wario Land: Shake It!

Related question: Has anyone done a system transfer after playing some Wii games on the Wii U? I let my brother borrow the Wii to play Skyward Sword after I got the Wii U, and haven't done a transfer. I'm wondering if I can start up Xenoblade on the Wii U and do a system transfer at a later date and still retain my save.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 8, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I know first hand that you can do as many transfers as you like, but any saves of the same game on the Wii will replace the ones on the Wii U.

As long as you have no save data of Xenoblade on the Wii internal storage, your Wii U save won't be affected.

Thanks for this. I think my roommate had a save file for Xenoblade, so I'll just hold off on that for a month.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think the dungeons could stay as long as they were proper, short dungeons. The longer caves in Pikmin 2 were a total loving nightmare.

I absolutely loved the long caves in Pikmin 2. Some of my fondest gaming memories come from the later massive caves and the absolute struggle to stay alive in them. What a good loving game, I'd pick up the New Control version to play it again, but with Pikmin 3 so close, I might as well just hang out.

Same dilemma I'm in with Animal Crossing. I've had the hankering to start up a new game for the past six months or so, but the knowledge of a new installment coming is keeping me away. Damnit Nintendo, hurry up and release all these games I want to play. :argh:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lifespan posted:

Edit:
Uh-oh. The Wii outsold the WiiU in the US last month: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/10/3863758/wii-outsells-wii-u-in-december

Remember when the original DS was outselling the 3DS at a two to one rate two summers ago? That is not an "uh-oh" by any means.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If you are a hardcore gamer, you shouldn't be expecting 100 hours out of a brand new console. Go buy Last Story or Xenoblade to fill the gap.

I got the Wii U for Christmas and have already clocked over seventy hours on it, and I still need to beat ZombiU and tie up loose ends on Mario, Nintendoland (Octopus Dance!!!), and Sonic Racing. Combined with my eShop games, I'll crank 100 hours out of the launch titles easy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Armillo: The Parallel Universe Mystery was announced yesterday for the eShop, and it looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. As long as the controls are tight, it should be a fun blend of Super Mario Galaxy and Monkey Ball.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Seconding this. Other M isn't worth $50. It's not worth :10bux:. It's not worth :6bux:. It's not worth the 65 cents it cost to make the disc. It's not worth the 10 cents it would cost in storage space on a $100 1TB hard drive. And above ALL ELSE, Other M is not worth even a single minute of your time.

In any case, gently caress Sakamoto.

I picked it up for I believe 5bux from Best Buy. It's just been sitting on my shelf staring at me. As the biggest loving Metroid fan ever, I feel like I need to play it, just to suffer like all the fools who spent fifty at launch on it did.

Maybe my expectations are lowered enough that I might actually squeeze some enjoyment out of it!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

There is nothing to appriciate. Watch an LP if you must but please, please don't play it.

Why the hell would I watch someone play through it, taking up the same amount of time, when I can actually play through it myself?

I must suffer like G did. :unsmigghh:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Anywhere live blogging the Direct? I'm about to clock in at work.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm finding it hard to justify given that I kind of already have it on Nintendo Land and all. I mean, I guess it'd have two player, but.. I don't ever have anyone to play with, so..

Next time you see a quarter on the ground, pick it up. There, you've justified 80% of your purchase.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TankTankTank's Japanese release on the eShop is a free to play model, and it's heavily rumored that the version that comes out on the US eShop will follow that model.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I know not to expect much from games journalism, but I have to wonder exactly where the impression of failure came from? Because excitement has been exactly the primary reaction I've seen from this Nintendo Direct.

Because games journalism. Negative Nintendo articles always bring out the page views.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Then again, if you don't like the "same old Nintendo franchises," perhaps buying a Nintendo console was never the right decision for you in the first place.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Thanks, I may end up grabbing it then. Although my time seems to be taken up by playing the Rayman demo right now (Castle Rock is brilliant, I seriously can't wait for this game to come out)

Otherwise, I already grabbed Balloon Fight, and I already own MSF on 3DS.

The Wii U version of Mighty Switch Force has a whole second set of levels akin to the second set of worlds in SM3DL. They're much more challenging than the original levels.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aww yeah, some sort of picture drawing game in Game & Wario.

Looks like it'll be a drat solid set of games to bust out with a group of people over, I'm really getting excited for it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So are those pictures on the right side people who are by you in the same room playing together or is this somehow an online WarioWare with people on your friends list being able to have that little camera on the tablet on?

It's just a screenshot with no information attached to it, but I'd be willing to bet that everyone passes around the Gamepad at the start of the game to take a picture.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They're wrong, of course, but the claim merely needs to be altered. The attach rate for the 360 and the PS3 is higher than the Wii's, and if you filter it out to third party games(no one argues that the Wii was lacking in first party games or claims that they didn't sell well) the Wii is utterly crushed.

Holy poo poo, people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

What an awful business choice for Ubisoft. Unless something's terribly wrong with the game, delaying a game that has to be practically completed for a simultaneous launch just doesn't make sense, especially when you have a big release lined up for a system that's starved for games. I wasn't planning on picking up Legends at launch though because I haven't played Origins yet, so at least this gives me time to bang that out.

On a brighter side, the Wii U version of Sonic and Sega All Star Racing: Transformed sold 260,000 copies on WiiU, a little over a fourth of it's total sales of 930,000. Guess we'll at least get strong support from Sega. :shobon:

edit: can't math

deadwing fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 7, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Hey guys, I'm here to be the thread's negative Nancy again.

Last week's sales numbers from Japan are out, and they are preeettttyyy dire. Like, hardware sales are slightly better than the Vita and barely above/barely bellow the PSP depending on which source you trust most. Also the top Wii U game barely broke into the top 20 (NSMB at 19th, with ~6000 units sold). Apparently it's been like this for a few weeks now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511934

I thought Japan was the region where the U was doing the best, but sales have crashed incredibly hard after the initial rush. This gap in the release schedule has been absolutely brutal, apparently.

This has been your regularly scheduled doom and gloom report. Please continue with your Rayman chat.

Clearly, Nintendo is doomed because they're not selling Wii Us in February with absolutely no major releases in the past month.

Never mind the money they're making hand over fist off of Animal Crossing.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

I... I didn't say they were doomed. Or that they weren't making money off the 3DS. Or... have I? Have I been sleep posting? :ohdear:

Well, of course sales are going to be poo poo, there's nothing to drive sales. Nintendo acknowledged that with the big Nintendo Direct. There's no reason to worry about "dire sales" right now.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Animal Crossing is going to be the poster child for digital games on the 3DS, along with Brain Age. It's great being able to download games that are best played in short bursts daily, yet still being able to buy retail copies that can be resold for other games. I can see the appeal in going digital only, but being able to share and sell games is still a big deal for me.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Making the Luigi DLC single player only is a bad decision. I hope they change their minds.

Why is it a bad decision? From the clips I saw of the video, it seems like the Luigi DLC will be more difficult than the main game, there's a good chance it will be designed around only having one player (see: that tall elevator/bullet bill clip) as opposed to the relatively wide-open areas of the main game.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

They could have, but they definitely needed to be balanced better. There was no reason NOT to pick Baby Mario or Baby Luigi.

If you were always in the lead, Diddy Kong and some other motherfucker in the barrel train (best train) was the poo poo, because you could actually get the big bananas in first place.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bland posted:

Be warned that there is nothing in the demo that tells you the controls or how to play, which is incredibly stupid for attracting new players

The real Monster Hunter starts here.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Lagombi (giant bunny) is also not..ideal for new players. His attack patterns are pretty erratic (and loving annoying) compared to something like a Qurupeco, he's also able to freeze you and do other annoying poo poo. I can't imagine anyone new to the series enjoying this at all, on top of the lack of control explanation.

The second I load the icy place the framerate is like 20FPS. It dips even further during the actual fight.

I'm brand spanking new to the series and took out the bunny with absolutely zero problems with the default sword and board dude. He telegraphed his moves easily, the general trick was to just stay behind him and pummel since the only backwards-reaching move he had was some sort of butt bump that barely hurt at all. Then again, I've played a decent amount of Dark Souls so I just approached the monster like a Dark Souls fight. :shobon:

And I didn't have any frame rate problems either. I'm going to go ahead and try him again with a big anime sword guy (I'm sure there is one) since I did a hell of a lot more rolling than blocking.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Just so everyone knows, the Monster Hunter demo has a relatively involved manual that teaches controls and combos for your chosen character. Don't overlook it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Wii U version is better than the other console ports but you should definitely be getting the PC version if it's an option, if only for 60FPS and beyond.

Unless you like playing multiplayer, having one player on the Gamepad and one player on the main screen is a godsend, as well as being able to play with five players.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Split screen is available on the PC version.

That's not what I said at all though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Deluxe is normally the way to go, but if you want it for Monster Hunter, I'd suggest getting the Zombi U bundle. It's $385, comes with a 32gb console, digital copy of Nintendoland,a physical copy of Zombi U, and most importantly to you, the Professional Controller.

This will be my first real Monster Hunter experience. I'm gonna see how long I can go with just the Gamepad for now, but my Monster Hunter enthusiast friend tried the demo with both the pad and the professional controller, and he said the professional controller was much better. The sticks are too highly placed on the gamepad. Hopefully I'll adjust.

In fact, I'd recommend the ZombiU bundle outright to anyone. For 35 dollars more, you get an excellent game in ZombiU, a Pro Controller that'll surely come in handy once Smash Bros. comes out, and the convenience of having the best party game to come out in years (Nintendo Land) installed on your console.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo Nintendo Land is still proving to be worth every goddamn penny of the Wii U's purchase price. Five player everything is ridiculous, although it seems really drat hard for Mario to win on Mario Chase with four dudes on his tail. Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is still the loving winner though and the greatest multiplayer game to come out in an eternity. The amount of screaming it inspires is just completely glorious.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

These both showed up earlier in the thread, so I'm not sure about any flood of reviews due to the embargo lifting. However, one person noted that Edge gives real reviews so 5 means "average" and not "Duke Nukem Forever."

e: Actually DNF is a 50 on Metacritic, so my analogy is completely wrong. But point is: 5 is okay from Edge, not utter poo poo like on most review outlets.

e2: Edge's main complaints seem to be that they didn't like the jokes, the driving physics and there were mild annoyances of graphical pop-in and poo poo. They also cite that it's for kids and not original since GTA already exists. So, nothing unexpected there, I reckon.

I'd say that's far more true for Eurogamer than Edge. For what it's worth, I find Eurogamer to have the most trustworthy reviews of any game site perhaps outside of Polygon.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Or just buy a hard copy on the way home from work and save yourself 8 hours of patience, bandwidth and power running your console.

I really don't see why anybody could see how Nintendo's current system of digital distribution is acceptable in any way, in its current form. Sure, if there's no brick and mortar in your town that sells games (which would be pretty hard to come by, a town without even a Walmart), then you have no other choice. But 8 hours to download a game that would take an hour on the same connection from a different marketplace is bonkers.

But you know, different strokes and all that, I guess. But hopefully if enough people would vote with their wallets, Nintendo would get their poo poo together.

Have you ever bought a digital game on the Xbox before? I bought Metal Gear Solid HD 2/3 last week, and the 9GB download easily took four hours to finish. Nintendo isn't that far behind the curve at all.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Silentplanet posted:

Nintendo's silence is probably warranted at the moment. They don't really have a strong nintendo title on the console yet... NSMBU is a little bit niche. Imagine how many consoles they're going to sell if they convince people to buy it now and those people find the games are not games that they enjoy!

I think Nintendo will be fine, give them some time to get their poo poo together. How many of us have run a successful multimillion dollar business anyways?

NSMBU is a bit niche? NSMBDS has sold 30 million, and the Wii version has sold 25 million. That's basically the opposite of niche.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo, Game & Wario for Game of the Year, All Years.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Obviously there are, the video shows that. I'm just talking about, like, the game modes like "ninja hopping on platforms" and "grid puzzle" and "offline-only pictionary that no one will play".

The pictionary game is not technically offline-only, it's got a weird sort of online play where it gives you some words to pick from, then you're given a minute to draw your chosen word, then it's uploaded to Miiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jut posted:

My 3DS has been sitting unused since December 2011...

Kid Icarus: Uprising, Etrian Odyssey IV, Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Virtue's Last Reward, Layton and the Miracle Mask, New SMB 2, and Resident Evil: Revelations have came out in that time period. If none of those games appeal to you, maybe you don't like video games as much as you think.

• Locked thread