Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

TunaSpleen posted:

Help me decide, goons: with preorders going fast, should I snatch up one or two more units so I can flip them on eBay after Black Friday for easy cash?

You should buy another one just to make a video with two girls with red and green bikinis and fake moustaches to break it down with giant sledgehammers, with the mario music playing in background. You'll be able to monetize from the advertisements on the youtube video.

And why bother buying two systems? Buy one, the one you will break down, and with the proceeds buy a new supercomputer that will eventually upscale the WiiU games via Dolphin at 4K resolution.

e:
I think Deadpool was confirmed coming to WiiU, even if when first announced at Comicon there was some sort of mediatic tug of war regarding an eventual WiiU release.

http://wiiu-gamers.com/games/deadpool-confirmed-for-wii-u/

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

StabMasterArson posted:

This'll be another great console with fantastic, varied games with lots of choice between them with new great games coming out all the time, not unlike the 3DS and the Wii! :shepface:

You know, it's not illegal to own different consoles.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Neo Rasa posted:

All I'm saying is that after the Wii's life post NSMB, Nintendo needs to work much harder if they want to keep the third party stuff coming after the first year or so. Making sure customers perceive it as a "real" system and not an add-on for the Wii or another handheld (this is still happening regularly at retailers everywhere) is still a hurdle that has to be overcome because, frankly, I don't think Nintendo itself has what it takes to meet or exceed what they accomplished with their DS library. IF they can then it won't matter if they have third party support or not, but after the second half of the Wii's life I doubt that that's possible.

Let's say the truth: Wii wasn't a real system, it was a joke of a system, and most of its power went away to triangulate that loving wiimote instead of graphics. The design decision was self conscious, it still targeted motherfucking CRT televisions with an analog signal. In 2006, when everyone with money to burn was investing in LCD panels.

Had it had a more powerful processor or gpu third parties would have not ignored Wii as a platform for porting blops or Assassin's Creed. Instead most Wii games had to reduce number of enemies, the geometry of levels, things that seriously impacted the gameplay. That meant to do a new version of the same title.

WiiU is almost a real system. The input system is there (WiiU Pro Pad), the power is there. It also has a real online. Nintendo's bet is that future games will still, at their core, mantain the current level complexity and target the current 720p/1080p, so that Activision can safely poo poo a new Blops on the platform, downscaled a bit for detail, without sacrificing too much (maybe some shader or some clever atmospheric vapour trick), and call it a day. And probably they are right, there is just so much you can cram in a level/in gameplay complexity without a player going :psypop: anyway.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Gamestop and other big brick and mortar stores stomped and cried that this was unfair competition, and threatened to do all sorts of ridiculous things in order to counter/protest services like Steam. I imagine the same would happen if Nintendo's eshop undercut Gamestop.

Not forgetting on how Gamestop treated PSPGo (that is: they did nothing at all, not even acknowledged it existed).

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah, apparently me and my sources were confused because the sensor bar is being included in that supplemental package with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Not sure why they'd sell the sensor bar separately if it was included in both packages. Or maybe that's just for Europe?

Chaltab posted:

Note to Angry Catterpillar: The OP indicates that the Wii IR sensor bar doesn't come included in the Wii U Basic box. Nintendo's official website says that it is.

The European stream confirms that Wii IR is limited to the Premium bundle.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Sony: "WiiU isn't powerful enough to make helicopters fly while blasting people with dubstep".

Instant winner of the gen.

vvvv
If you already have a sensor bar, aren't interested in Nintendoland and have an HD already I guess the white version is as good as the black version. Also black = fingerprints? :(

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 17, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I guess what could win people over to Nintendo Network will be if the social features are really on-par or better than the current consoles.

Between the current consoles, only XBox and Vita have cross-game-chat. WiiU promises cross-game-chat too. Messaging in PS3 is basic, on Vita is slightly better, but there is almost no community on PSVita for enjoying messaging and chat.

One hope about the tablet: the fact you'll be able to share drawings will make the WiiU not only the platform where you will be able to send drawings of penises inside jokes about dogs not saving people trapped in pits, but probably also strategies, invitations... Swapnote is limited because it's still not game-based, Miiverse instead looks like a good fit for this.

"Our monster hunting strategy: you get eaten by Rathalos, while we kill him."
:allears:

But probably this is all wishful thinking, and everyone will just spam pics zooming on tits like on Steam hubs.

In any case, Nintendo has to allow a friend list bigger than 100 units... or at least the possibility to login with different profiles on the console.

+ + + +

greatn posted:

On the Wii whatever you put in it would create a Nintendo folder for and put everything Nintendo related in there.

Did Wii officially access hard disks as well? I'm asking because Nintendo probably could access SD Cards with FAT filesystem because FAT is not covered by patents while other filesystems by MS are covered by it (see ExFAT or NTFS)... the main difference between FAT, ExFAT and NTFS are that FAT officially only accesses 4gb of disk (there are extensions but they are not official extensions, Windows XP could not format a volume of more than 4gb, only access it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32#FAT32

In any case Nintendo could decide on using a proprietary filesystem for hard disks, requiring you to format the hard disk before use, like Sony does for its internal hard disks.

+ + + +

NTT posted:

Valve is pretty much the only AAA company nowadays that does whatever the gently caress they want to do.

The best alchemy between selling and trolling :allears:

Policenaut posted:

I got really excited when I saw this, thinking it would be coming overseas like Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper or Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (I think) but was disappointed to see it's still Japan-only like the PS3 release :(

Orochi is in the 3DS EU stream as Launch Window title.

edit for clarity:
Orochi is in the final printout made in 4pt characters on the tiny 3DS screen in the 3DS E-Shop EU stream at 40':28''

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 17, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Policenaut posted:

The Dark Souls of hardcore game console buying.

Just what we needed, a red "YOU DIED FAILED" screen popping up after preorder.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I haven't bought a Wii.

Do you suggest me to buy a pair of Wiimote+ and Nunchucks just to play some stupid multiplayer rounds in parties on the WiiU? (In any case I'm going to get at least one anyway for skyward sword)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Will the Note Taking App from 3DS come back on WiiU?

I'd really appreciate that.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
edit: ^^^ that happened too on the Italian last remnants of usenet and other minor gaming forums. Nintendo accustomed people to see girls taking their consoles around the stage when they announce a new console at E3. I'm so happy however that goons destined to take over the world with science can still read through Iwata's hermetism. :science: ^^^

Policenaut posted:

I bought Xenoblade a few days after I pre-ordered my Wii U... to play when I get my Wii U :eng99:

I found a solitary copy of Sin & Punishment 2 and brought her home :neckbeard:

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 7, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

^ ^ ^ ^ GIS on WiiU Logo.
Anyway, here: http://i.imgur.com/jx6NF.jpg

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 10, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

japtor posted:

It was in response to Rake Arms' request. I have no clue who's in limaCAT's but it looks vaguely familiar.

It's the Chinese lady from the Kung Pow movie.
:ssh:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Xavier434 posted:

I won't notice any difference between 720p and 1080p in a game like NSMBU considering the art style. That sort of thing matters more to me with games that are trying to look as realistic as possible.

Nintendo just wanted to make it difficult for the kids behind "Digital Foundry" or "The Lens of Truth" trying to benchmark frame by frame NSMBU against a supposed PS3 version by recreating their levels in Little Big Planet. I think it's a sensible decision.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Policenaut posted:

Oh my god, why didn't North America get that?! I would have gladly paid more for that! drat it, Japan gets Monster Hunter and Europe gets ZombiU. What does North America get?

Senran Kagura U.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What if FFXV was... WiiU exclusive????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

SamBishop posted:

The PS3 has been the best-selling console worldwide for a while now, but here in the States, it's getting clobbered. Like all PlayStation systems, the Vita will be fine by about the two year mark, but this has definitely been the slowest start of any of their systems.

I don't think the 600$ price tag was what damaged PS3. It sold like the 360 both in hardware and software sales, which is more impressive since PS3 launched a year later.

The End of Life for PS3 is becoming a mess however because, starting from a company that had problems with over-engineering, they transformed themselves into a company that has problems with over-management: it's not like PS3 does not have a strong catalog or is that backwards with respect to XBox, but what broke the relationship with the customers was both a string of high profile products that stank, had blatant problems or were abandoned (GT Portable, GT5, Move, Resistance Burning Skies) and mixed signals regarding the future (Studio Liverpool and Zipper closed, Vita E3 showtime being sacrificed for Wonderbook). Customers don't want to be the guinea pigs in corporate infights.

SamBishop posted:

I think that's precisely why Nintendo launched at $300/$350. It gives them room to wiggle when the bigger guys come out, because they absolutely won't have that luxury. Like the 3DS, I think the launch price is a little high for the actual hardware, but they've done a great job on selling me about the differentiating titles.

Yeah, seconding that: differentiating titles. But also social features. What made Microsoft to win the multiplatform/multiplayer race were XBox Live and Cross Game Chat. Nintendo did not say anything about Cross Game Chat yet (video chat between friends seems to be in), but Miiverse at least will make it easier to form multiplayer groups, spam random goombas, harvest diablo gold or even talking about the games within the gui. In a sense it's what Live Area could have done to Vita if it did not hide comments about titles behind a swipe, allowed you to retrieve messages from strangers, and if content sharing features weren't pushed into near.

Had some Italian friends trying to organize Mario Kart 7 nights with plus/facebook and swapnote. Unfortunately those attempts failed because those channels are "too much detached from the game icon itself", you have to check both MK7 and Swapnote or FB or a Forum (and Swapnote used to be too slow, exp if you accumulated many unread messages). I'd like to see what will happen with Monster Hunter U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

+ + + +

microwave casserole posted:

If anything, I'd like to see the power of the new consoles spent on reducing load times, don't fence me in. Don't fade to black every time I open a door. Don't fence me in. Let me climb up on a tower and look across a field into a bustling town without any noticeable LOD scaling. Let me teleport clear across the world and back without a pause. Make it seamless. Don't fence me in.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Interesting video about the WiiU Gamepad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxIhZYjyBxc

And the first UK advertisement is surprisingly... competent I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVfIe536J0

Shhping Shhping Shhping Shhping Shhping

greatn posted:

Imagining ANY game with no loading screens is super exciting.

Nintendo 64 > PSX :colbert:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Between integrated voice chat and being able to send penises goombas on miiverse to an unlimited number of people I'd take the second options.

Also, voice chat is not "integrated" because the pad can't transmit both graphics and voice, hence why it's demanded to a third party headphone. And I suspect some patent held in hostage by either Microsoft or Sony, in any case there will be future details on this too.

Bobnumerotres posted:

:allears: I'll never get bored as long as important and interesting stuff is discussed.

Iwata Asks: geopolitics.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

citizenlowell posted:

But the headsets plug into the pad and use it to transmit audio through the console? Right? Isn't that why everyone was complaining that the pro controller was missing the mic jack?

Nope, the game pad misses a microphone jack too.

There is only one jack, and it's the output jack, the headphone jack, the one that carries the game sounds. Audio jacks were never designed to be used full-duplex, that is for transmitting and receiving data at the same time.

If you look at the pictures on these two pages you will see that there is only one headphone (that is output) audio jack.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/everything-you-need-know-about-the-wii-u/
(look under the "What you can't see here" caption)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/i412448-8/wii-u-final-hardware-gallery-black-nintendo-wii-u.html#a431815
(see picture #4)

http://kotaku.com/5952858/

Dicktaku posted:

[UPDATE 2] Well, not so fast.. a second PDP rep contacted me to clarify things further: "Afterglow wireless headsets are compatible with Wii U. If the game chat utilizes the USB port of the Wii U console then the AG headset can receive the chat audio wirelessly. If the chat audio is directed through the 3.5mm audio jack on the Wii U pad then user can plug in the provided chat/game audio cable. It depends on how the game / chat audio is designed." As the story indicated above, Black Ops II does its chat through the 3.5mm jack, so it seems like that's one game that won't work wirelessly with PDP's headset but would be fine with a wired hook-up.

edit: vvvv :stare: ?

Jacks with three rings? What kind of magic is this? (Does WiiU have a combo audio jack?) :negative:

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 28, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I want to understand one thing about that 18+ games in Europe. Does the eShop restrict browsing the listing of 18+ games too in the daily hours? I'd be more pissed off if I get a half assed e-shop list by day (I can get around the video restriction by watching videos on youtube). In any case, I'm sure Shibata is going to fix this, otherwise I will send him a really really angry e-mail.

Also, correct me about this: the first time I hook up Wii U and I just want to play Nintendoland, the sensible thing that I have to do is just say "no" to the first update prompt and not bother to tell him to search them, and WiiU will just download both the System update and the Nintendoland update in background?

Can the update process still be cancelled if it's just "downloading" the packages, like it happens instead on windows update, PSV or PS3?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Welp, my Mii has been restricted. Apparently it's "inappropriate" to have a Mii named Wang with a penis nose and scrotum eyebrows. What if I really look like that?

Are you the artist formerly known as Genkleyful on 3DS?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Lobster posted:

I'll have to watch the multiplayer stuff at some point. I've played everything that can be played single player but I have no friends. My dad is not the video game type. I'm hoping I can get him to play with me for an hour on Christmas anyway. Any suggestions for someone who visibly fears video games and whose hand-eye coordination drops 200% when within 15 feet of a console?

Cardboard monopoly?
(Ok, a wii title: Fortune Street?)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rake Arms posted:

Mario dies in every game.

Mario is the epitome of "looking for love in all the wrong places".

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc posted:

edit: But yeah, the way Mario works makes it hard to have a powerup that is all at once "crazy" and "not game breaking" and "not required" - and due to the convention of "get hit while you have powerup, lose powerup" you absolutely cannot make them required to finish a section.

Yoshi's Island had Yoshi's transformation. I did not like it because at the time those transformations they broke the flow of the game... they were limited in time, in scope and changed the "hit Yoshi/lose Mario" paradigm, but reading these two lines I think the Yoshi's Island paradigm was actually great. In any case at least in NSMB DS some powerups that can't be found or hard to be found in some levels are actually required to unlock some secrets, and I think some gold stars in 3D Land need a raccoon suit too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Benly posted:

The Gold Flower is fun but temporary powerups aren't really the same, and while it's fun to rampage around in your unstoppable MAMMON MODE it's ultimately just "fireballs that explode and break bricks" instead of any new interesting mechanics.

You can suicide yourself with the gold flower.

Or make some paths available only with it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah but if you're Nintendo and you can make NSMB for a small amount of money and sell a gajillion, or take a risk, put more thought into art style, control, mechanic, etc, which would cost more, and end up selling less, which would you go for?

Definitely their flops are envious elsewhere but the opportunity cost is what they would look at, not that they sold a lot but that they could have sold more.

If you are talking about Yoshi's Island, remember that in 1995 Snes was rapidly becoming irrelevant as every single kid and gamingjournalist on the block was wetting his bed for the brand new hot contender. The fact that in some markets (Italy, Ireland) Yoshi's Island and Snes games costed a tad more than Playstation games who were IN THREE DEE did not help at all the situation (of course all of this just before Playstation piracy becoming widespread thanks to the advent of cheap CD-Rs and Modchips).

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm sure it'd be completely broken but I'd like to see a Super Super Mario game where every power-up from every game was available. Capes, Raccoons, Frog Suits, everything ever. It'd definitely make it interesting at the least.

I'd like it too. :(

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Chronojam posted:

Yes, we all remember the Wii's huge library of third party blockbusters such as

Jerry Rice and Nitus Dog Football
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tYUsN28XBM

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
This appeared on the WiiU UK facebook page. I don't know if it's a global Nintendo Direct or else.

quote:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect
On Wednesday 23 January at 14:00 GMT Mr Iwata will take a look at future plans for Wii U in a new Nintendo Direct presentation! Watch Nintendo Direct to find out first about new software and services coming to Wii U!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gutcruncher posted:

Totally forgot to post the boxart

It's a work of art

I thought they leaked an unfinished cover for the US version.

Fake edit: found!

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo is like Capcom in that they both have generators powered entirely by human suffering, only while Capcom's is fueled by the tears of Mega Man fans Nintendo's uses Earthbound.

And both together combine their powers for Monster Hunter.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Widdiful posted:

Hopefully that isn't the case, they're probably going to let you use the older control scheme and a newer one that focuses on the game pad's features depending on your preference. Although if they only let you use the controller then there's no real point to them porting it to the Wii U.

Other than continuing to piss off Sony?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I want a new Wario DIY!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, anything interesting in the pipeline between now and Rayman?

The PS4.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Moogle posted:

I remember back when the N64 came out my friend bought one and it sat there for weeks without any games, during which period I gently mocked him for buying such an attractive paperweight.

Now I've bought a WiiU (ostensibly for our family) and it just sits there with one game.

There is a big difference, during the N64 days it was more difficult for someone who was not wealthy enough to access more than one platform for gaming. However nowadays if you leave your WiiU console alone for some time waiting for the next Nintendo flagship title it's not that big deal, because people have smartphones, and PCs, and sometimes other consoles too...

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
About Miiverse: can you save a post as draft, so that you can finish it later?

Also, can you use the joypad headphone jack for listening to the console audio without connecting it directly to the TV?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

So, this is what happens when you have Nintendo's release schedule, people get proficient at games! :downsrim:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Toady posted:

What is naive about it? Practically everyone buys Nintendo systems today just to play Nintendo software. There isn't a convincing reason for them to be making home consoles anymore, and selling software on all platforms would make them more money.

That certainly worked for Sega.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Toady posted:

Sega put out bad games.

Correct, because she did not have anymore the need to have that "edge" of leveraging a loving recognizable art style against competitors like she did when she made Saturn and Dreacast games. At the time you could only play Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. If Nintendo went multiplatform, why she would still put good titles instead of outsourcing Zelda to Ninja Theory?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The mourning of a Nintendo keynote from E3 (while there will be nintendo directs) is something I expect from people who adored Wind Waker.

(Or who dislike LTTP2).

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gutcruncher posted:

Every time I see a game ending on U I cant help but think of it as ending in an OO sound. Zomboo, Cooking Mamoo, Trauma Centoo, Need for Speed Most Wantoo. What I am saying is that all Wii U games should use this naming convention

Zeldoo.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

nerdbot posted:

If they seriously don't make a Mario Paint sequel for the Wii U then the whole system is a loving bust.

Or even better Mario Paint AND Warioware DIY sequel for both Wii U and 3DS. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh hey check it out it's the worst advice ever.

By that I don't even mean him demanding Nintendo stop making their own hardware he is entirely within his right to say something like that.

No it's when he asks us "Can you imagine a freemium Mario Kart where you start the game and pay as you go for new karts and other things?"

I will love to be there when these people will grow up, wake up and see that Angry Birds is the pet rock fad of 2011.

• Locked thread