Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have to say I didn't think Nintendo would sell me on this after the Wii but exclusive Platinum games, including an Exclusive Bayonetta 2? That's really unexpected and something that definitely changed my mind about the system.

On the other hand I'm worried that this will end up exactly like the Wii - a stopgap that will be largely ignored a couple of years after the new Sony/MS systems launch.

The Wii was the last of those consoles to be released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

al-azad posted:

What is this rhythm stuff people are talking about with Rayman? I've seen a video where they said some levels will be timed to music but from some people's complaints I gathered they were putting in full blown Parappa style Simon-says levels. Watching footage from PAX, the game looks even more absurd than Origins with one area being a giant rotating maze with spikes everywhere.

e: Are they talking about Michel Ancel and the "musical maps?" They're the auto-scrolling levels you see in every platformer except every action you take adds to the musical theme.

The complaining was sparked by claims from a developer that a "good portion" of the single player campaign of Rayman Legends would be controlling Murphy (pushing platforms and other rather mundane activities) whilst watching an AI Rayman do the platforming. The concept of the musical levels themselves is not something I've seen people get annoyed by

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Hobo Siege posted:

The issue is that the Wii U is a 360 or thereabouts

Oh is it? Don't hold out on us man, you seem like a guy who knows what he's talking about. How powerful is the Wii U?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

greatn posted:

So just to be clear you have to recover from attacking, but there isn't any cooldowns.

Yeah it's bullshit isn't it? Devil May Cry pulls that poo poo too, I've been trying to tell people that game's a WoW clone for years but everyone just looks at me funny. The evidence is there people!!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

So are Wii U games not getting their own threads?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

jonathan posted:

Thanks rear end in a top hat.

Let me rephrase: With new games coming out, should I wait for the Wii U version or just pick up an Xbox copy ? Are the Wii U games coming out taking advantage of the new systems rendering capabilities ? The Xbox's 720p rendering looks lovely on my 106" screen, I'm wondering if games will be internally rendered at 1080p instead of upscaled like the Xbox.

Well I don't know about any of that but Wii U games are being sold for quite a bit more than their counterparts on other consoles, so there's that.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Matlock posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500411

This is either fake or looks like it could be really, really bad. Really fast.

On the other hand, Yoshi and Metal Gear games coming to Wii U!

The moment people started asking he make video proof he posted "fun is over. They fixed it. Last news out of this is that they can apparently update or fix Miiverse on the fly."

He is undoubtedly full of poo poo

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Long John Power posted:

Anyone had any luck with UK pre-orders? I left it till a few days ago and just got an email from Tesco saying it won't be here until the 10th December. :(

Well I pre-ordered from Shopto and I've heard nothing to suggest it'll be delayed yet

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Long John Power posted:

I had never heard of them before, they do seem to be all about the bundles though. The site looks a bit ropey as well, have you had any stuff from them before?

I've been ordering from them for years and have never once had a late delivery, I usually receive things fro them 1-2 days before release date even.

Never had any problems with them really

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

Can anyone confirm if Doodle or Die works in the browser?

Why has nobody thought of this yet

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Edoraz posted:

But they are doing just fine?

Financially yes but they're making a lot of 'not-great' games these days

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Minidust posted:

Does Sonic Racing have an equivalent of Mario Kart's battle mode or is it just racing?

Sonic Racing does have battle modes. Battle Arena and Capture the Chao take place in Mario Kart style arenas, and Battle race is a race mode where you can eliminate the other racers if they lose 3 lives.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Definitely. It always amazed me that big developers didn't go, "Hey, it costs $40M to make a game on PS3/360 but only $5M to make something clever on the Wii. Why don't we make something clever on the console with the biggest console install base and the smallest production costs (out of the three)?" Instead they stuck to the high budgets and took huge risks. And that's why companies like THQ are going from a billion in revenue in 2007 to bankruptcy after defaulting on a $50M loan in 2012.

Well the Wiis abysmal software sales probably kept most devs away

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Honestly, Nintendo should buy up Saints Row and the WWE license from the THQ sale and then proceed to pick the bones of every other former Major third party company that's bound to go out of business on the next five years.

The rights to WWE games aren't THQs to sell

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Andrew_1985 posted:

So what's the overall list of games he mentioned today?

Wii Fit U (Uninspired)
Wii Party U (Uninspired)
Fire Emblem meets Devil Survivor game? (MORE TIME!)
Mario Game (MORE TIME!)
Yoshi's Epic Yarn (Uninspired. Leftover levels from Kirby's EY)
Pikmin 3 (Eh)
Wonderful 101 (Pikmin Superheroes)
Zelda Wind Waker (HD Remake. Eh)
Zelda Wii U (MORE TIME)
SSBU (MORE TIME! But we'll show screens at E3!)
A Wario Game of sorts?
Mario Kart Wii U (Uninspired)
Bayonetta 2 (MORE TIME!)
Whoops, forgot - Xenoblade meets Transformers/Monster Hunter (???)

I've... I've gotten old and cynical. No, just old

No you're definitely cynical too

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

FPzero posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how SMT x Fire Emblem is going to work.

It'll be an SRPG probably

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Note the chatbox.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Artix74 posted:

You mean Xenoblade? Because I'm like 99% positive that was Shulk.

Eye colour is different.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

So in the Miiverse I keep seeing these really amazing drawings from console owners and loving them, but I'm seeing some with gradients and shading and such that are definitely NOT hand-drawn...how are they doing that?

From what I've been able to discern, painstaking use of the eraser tool.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

The Monarch posted:

Unless Wii U hardware and software sales are so abysmal that not even being a platform exclusive would've helped it.

It makes perfect sense to release on other platforms. The market on Xbox and PS3 is like an order of magnitude larger. I mean it's perfectly possible that 90% of Wii U software buyers is still a smaller number than 5% of Xbox and PS3 software buyers.

Note I don't mean just the number of people who've bought the console, but the number who did so and continue to purchase software for it.

We can't continue to purchase software if there is no software to purhcase

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

thefncrow posted:

Porting it to other systems months later would take a toll on sales of those versions, as the initial buzz on the game will be gone by the time the 360/PS3 ports are out.

I would speculate Ubisoft just revised their projected sales figures for the Wii U version downward (perhaps significantly), and was left with the impression that even if it was the only thing on Wii U out for some time, the sales of the Wii U version would not be robust enough to trade off against the loss you would incur by having the 360 and PS3 versions launch with the reputation of being a 7 month old game.

Clearly the sensible alternative is to release it next to a bunch of big name titles, a tactic that worked wonders for Origins

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Crowbear posted:

They're delaying the Wii U version so that they don't have to market the game twice, and so that whatever hype they can generate doesn't die out in the wait for the other versions.

It's a perfectly sensible business decision.

This is assuming Ubisoft are going to put any effort into marketing it at all, which would make a change

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

How newbie friendly is MH3U likely to be? I've never played any of the other games apart from maybe a demo of the original PS2 version, but since it seems like the only worthwhile WiiU game coming out between now and summer I figured I'd give it a shot.

Monster Hunter games always feature a pretty robust tutorial. You get like an hour or so to learn the basics before fighting anything remotely challenging.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well? The only PS3 exclusives I can think of are niche RPGs, and the only 360 exclusives are Kinect titles. And those are hardly games.

Uncharted. Halo. Gears of War. Killzone. Ratchet and Clank. Any of these ringing bells?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're all first party properties. He's saying third party, which would be stuff like MGS4, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces, Demon's Souls, etc.

My bad, didn't follow the conversation properly.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Almost Smart posted:

That's what's so funny about the fan backlash to me. Origins was a competent game, but Rayman has never been a system seller or a AAA title or whatever you would want to call it. It can be fun, but my life wouldn't be any less fulfilling if I had passed it over completely. Wii U owners aren't losing anything by having Legends ported over, and 360/PS3 owners aren't really gaining anything either, other than another semi-decent platformer that will be forgotten and relegated to the discount bins two months following its release.

Perhaps the people that are annoyed at the delay think Origins was better than "competent"? Maybe they think it was a fantastic game and were really looking forward to the sequel? Who knows.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

PC versions of multiplat games are usually £10-15 cheaper the day they're released, nevermind months down the line when they're on some ridiculous steam sale, yet that's never stopped people buying the Xbox or PS3 versions of those games.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Pc games are an entirely different beast and culture.

So? The fact remains that it's the same games available at a significantly cheaper price.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Widdiful posted:

Judging from your comments on the games it sounds fantastic. Should I pick up a copy of Origins now or wait for Legends to be released?

That depends, do you want to play a good game now or do you want to play a sequel to a good game in seven months.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Magnatux posted:

/\ I also need to play dark souls. I keep hearing and reading about it. There's an Lp but I havent seen too many bosses yet while watching

Indeed. I'm a little confused though, it's a remake of a 2010 game? With more stuff, I see, but outside of those who haven't gotten into monster hunter and start now, why would they be making this instead of a whole new game? Perhaps I misread, but now that I've looked it up, I actually want it more. Quite the pleasant surprise. Thank you for telling me how far off I was.

They're making a 'new' Monster Hunter game for the 3DS

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Crowbear posted:

I think you're vastly overestimating how much the average person pays attention to game industry news.

The average person is not likely to buy Rayman in the first place

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

CountingCrows posted:

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Looking forward to trying it out to see what all the hype is about.

Be warned that there is nothing in the demo that tells you the controls or how to play, which is incredibly stupid for attracting new players

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

MH Demo trip report:

1. Absolutely awful framerate
2. Does not teach you about the controls or anything, just throws you at a boss and gives you 20 minutes to kill it.
3. When you complete it, it goes "Thanks for playing!" and restarts. Does not advertise the actual content of the game or anything.

This is a loving terrible demo, #1 is especially bad.

Awful framerate? What? I had zero trouble whatsoever with the framerate. Was this all the time for you or did something cause it?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Lagombi (giant bunny) is also not..ideal for new players. His attack patterns are pretty erratic (and loving annoying) compared to something like a Qurupeco, he's also able to freeze you and do other annoying poo poo. I can't imagine anyone new to the series enjoying this at all, on top of the lack of control explanation.

The second I load the icy place the framerate is like 20FPS. It dips even further during the actual fight.

That's bizarre. It was solid for me throughout. I'm gonna load it up again and have another look.

Edit: Just ran through the Lagombi fight again and the framerate is perfectly fine for me at least

Bland fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2013

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

60 FPS throughout? Mine can't be any higher than 25. Have no issues with my other games.

Not 60 FPS no but not low enough to be problematic, not that I can tell exactly how many frames I'm seeing a second. There is this though http://nintendoeverything.com/109058/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-wii-u-runs-at-38-fps-on-average/

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Crowbear posted:

It's definitely not 60. Reading around other forums it seems like it's 30, and not locked at 30 either.

How hard can it be to get an upgraded Wii game running at a decent framerate?

From what I've seen reading around the 3DS version does hit 60FPS. Got to wonder what the priorities are at Capcom sometimes.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

deadwing posted:

I'm brand spanking new to the series and took out the bunny with absolutely zero problems with the default sword and board dude. He telegraphed his moves easily, the general trick was to just stay behind him and pummel since the only backwards-reaching move he had was some sort of butt bump that barely hurt at all. Then again, I've played a decent amount of Dark Souls so I just approached the monster like a Dark Souls fight. :shobon:

That is pretty much the perfect way to approach this series, nice work

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think they're a bit cheated up for the demo. You get HR equipment and weapons with blue sharpness, and you can take like 10 hits from monsters before needing a chug, which is simply NOT the case in the full game with the exception of like Great Jaggi.

So not only is the Demo terrible for new players but it's lying to them about the difficulty of the actual game.

Well that's kind of a silly point. The demo needs to be easy because it can't ease you into the harder fights gradually like the full game will.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Monster Hunter is pretty much the same genre of "you're going to die alot to alot of bullshit" as Dark Souls. Only instead of wandering around given no direction, you instead have to fight bosses and apply the same constant trial and error methods. You're going to die alot in MH if you're new to the series. Once you kill your first Yian Kut Ku, you start to get how the game is played.

Capra Demon doesn't have poo poo on many of the MH bosses.

Trial and error, really? You just throw yourself at the monsteres until something works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Reoxygenation posted:

You figure their patterns, when you can use items, which body parts are breakable...

Monster hunter is a very skill based game.

Yeah I know I was bewildered that he could see the game as "Trial and error" because it's an immensely skill and tactics based game

• Locked thread