Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I hadn't been reading the Iwata Asks at all. That was a mistake. Why aren't they selling this thing?:

That's bleeding edge tech, man. Looks really next gen.

It's called Paper Prototyping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It can use the same video/audio cables the Wii uses, so just use one of those.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I doubt the WiiU is gonna be compatible with FAT32 because of its ridiculously unnecessary file size limit of 2gb.

No problem on a software level. Just split them up into multiple files.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Unsurprising considering you could even transfer Miis from a Wii to a 3DS. But yeah, nice to know I guess.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nintendo makes the best menu music. This is incredibly catchy.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

...your Wii wasn't set to 60Hz?

Most games work fine on 60Hz or 480p, but on some the developers were incredibly lazy so they're 50Hz only. Little King's Story for example.

Not to mention the entire PAL Virtual Console catalogue.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You need a NA system to access the NA eShop, it's a region locked console.

Which brings up an interesting question: What happens if you try to use a, say, US account with purchases from the US store on a European system?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

There is no difference in display quality between different HDMI cables. It either works or doesn't.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Has overscan ever been such a widespread problem with other consoles? My 360, PS3, and Wii all look fine on my TV, and I've never seen anyone complaining about it for those consoles, but I'm seeing a surprising number of people with the same issue with the Wii U.

I really don't understand how I manage to lose so much of the Wii U's display on my TV but I've never had the problem before with any other console.

The thing is: How could you ever notice with any other consoles? You have no second screen as reference point, after all. On the WiiU you do, and so many people are noticing this problem for the first time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

New Club Nintendo code!

Thanks for a Pokemon White code!

quote:

I noticed that in a lot of my DS-games, the slip with the PIN-code is missing. Is that normal? Am I missing something here?

Only 1st/2nd party games have codes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

grilldos posted:

Well, that's better than once ever.

I think there's some misunderstanding here. Surely the transfer tool transfers all licenses even for software currently not on the console itself, right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I guess I know where I'll be buying all my Wii U gear, then. Although it looks like us Europeans aren't going to get anything remotely resembling that sweet $40 deal for Sonic & Sega Transformed. :(

It's 30 pounds on amazon.co.uk, which isn't great compared to the US price but acceptable.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

You weren't kidding. First post I saw said "ACTION 52" and had a drawing of a Cheetahmen.

Looking at random presumably bad games is easily the best part of Miiverse for me so far.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Haha, isn't that an official Nintendo account? Because if so that's really awesome.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Iwata is still the best.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Veotax posted:

You use the same card to get points on the Wii Shop, DSi Shop, 3DS eShop and Wii U eShop. But the different stores don't share a balance, so you use all the points in only one the shop you apply the card to.

I don't think that's right, I'm pretty sure you can't use Wii Shop Point prepaid cards on the eShop, you need to get a eShop prepaid card.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

...Which makes me wonder, what happens if you have two WiiU Nintendo Network users and attempt to use the Wii Shop with both?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

But the Wii didn't have user accounts, and I really doubt they retroactively programmed something like that into the Wii Menu. I'm not talking about WiiU software here.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

No that's not what I mean, I can see them like tying the WiiU's "Wii Hardware Serial Number" or whatever to the NN account and only allowing you into the shop once that happened, what I mean is, this scenario:

- NN User A logs in.
- NN User A goes to the Wii Shop and buys something. That content is now on the Wii subsystem, tied to the Wii Hardware in the WiiU, which is tied to the NN User A.
- NN User A logs out.
- NN User B logs in.
- NN User B enters the Wii Shop. Now, the Wii Hardware is obviously not tied to NN User B, so what happens?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 12, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Ztrapper posted:

The only downside: Nintendo didn't licence Dolby, so all the content in Netflix is stereo only. hope they'll find a way to pass 5.1 through PCM in the future - that'll make it even better.

I dunno if it's the Netflix app specifically that doesn't support it, but the WiiU can do 5.1 PCM surround over HDMI just fine, you just need to turn it on in the settings.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

My WiiU also seems to have the disc spinning constantly even when it really shouldn't be accessing it. Hope they fix that with a firmware update, until then I guess I'll just have to pull out the disc whenever I'm not playing a disc game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Just un- and replug it from the Wiimote.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The Japanese version of the Metal Slug collection supports the classic controller, by the way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'll be honest just from those screens I think a dolphin-rendered Wind Waker looks better. Too much bloom. The genius of the WW art style was the shading.

Compare:

That said, everything else in this Nintendo Direct is awesome, can't wait!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Someone please confirm if the EU Virtual Console games are still the lovely 50Hz versions.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

As I understand it, PAL SNES roms were usually adjusted to play at roughly compatible speeds to NTSC

I'm afraid you're under the wrong impression there. Lots and lots of PAL SNES games run 16% slower.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Or maybe they should just translate Captain Rainbow.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Even at 30 cents it's hard to justify buying 50 Hz versions of games in 2013.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Still hoping in vain that the Kirby Collection will turn up in PAL territories :sigh:.

Why would you be hoping for that? Just import it and enjoy the emulated games actually running at the right speed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's actually not like most of those sets you posted because those aren't remakes. Wind Waker HD is not just updated textures, they rebuilt the world in an entirely new engine. It's much more like the OoT remake, which did the same thing.

By OoT remake you mean the 3DS version? Because that still uses the same engine it used back on the N64, as evidenced by the tons of glitches that still work in the exact same way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

At least look at the images before you say that. Sheesh.
If they do the fixes to it that they lamented about years later in interviews it will be worth the cash. The visual upgrades are just bitchin icing on the Zelda cake.

No he's right, it really does just look like they put a ton of bloom in it. Compare yourself:

WiiU:
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/wwhd2jpgnu.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/wwhdjpguv.jpg

Gamecube in Dolphin:
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/GZLE015jpgat.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/GZLE014jpggu.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/GZLE0110jpgmu.jpg

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Problem is that most of the people complaining are comparing it to a pirated version of the game run on an emulator that pumps the resolution up.

But don't you think it's fair to request a fair price for what is essentially the same game running on different hardware? Especially since other companies have not only released HD versions for less, but also collections of HD versions for less? Of course, this assumes that the $60 price tag is accurate and not just a placeholder.

(Also, only because it's running on an emulator doesn't mean it's pirated. Simply having a Wii makes it very easy to dump retail GC and Wii discs.)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Probably because their marketing literally said "this game stinks". I mean why would they do that?!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It's flawed but I do like it more than Twilight Princess personally. The game is bugged wherein it doesn't save that you've been told what a rupee is.

I'm pretty sure this is actually a design choice, not a bug.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

If I recall correctly F-zero GX left a lot of buttons unused that can now be easily reached on the gamepad/CC pro.

Don't think so. A Accel, B Brake, Y Boost, hold X to side-attack, L/R for drifting based on how far you press it (analog!), Z spin, that's all the buttons on the GC controller.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Chaltab posted:

And then you have the fact that both Microsoft and Nintendo make 'A' confirm and 'B' cancel, even though the buttons are reversed between their respective systems.

I kind of appreciate the fact that Sony just used shapes.

I take it you've never played an early-era PSX game, or any Japanese version of a PS2/PS3 game? O confirm / X cancel!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Artix74 posted:

Looks good, but I haven't played a Need for Speed game since Underground 2 (though I did play Burnout Paradise, which I really enjoyed for just loving around in the world). Can anyone compare them?

The new Most Wanted is pretty much a sequel to Burnout Paradise, being made by the same developers.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

You literally don't understand anything, do you? They're not going to get rid of Mario's overalls or hat, either. You're dealing with some of the most powerful brands in the world inside of a game that is supposed to be the de facto representation of that brand. Significant changes to characters that can be easily identified in silhouette are a big deal.

http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/mario_tennis_3ds_conceptart_qdqzp.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/mario/images/c/c4/Mario_Kart_Wii_-_Peach_motorbike.jpg

It wouldn't even be the first time she doesn't have the "iconic" dress.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

...fiasco? Really?

Although Nintendo has been forgetting the trick to making a good Paper Mario game - "Just do what you did in Thousand Year Door you dummies".

Well that's the thing though -- if you go read the Sticker Star Iwata Asks, IntSys had "just what they did in TTYD" running on the 3DS, but then Miyamoto came along and told them they should cut that back and do something entirely different instead, using only characters that appeared in early Mario games (read: SMB1).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Artix posted:

Unless Nintendo built in some override for if a download gets interrupted when you have it set to "Turn off when downloads are done," I have no idea why it's doing this.

Pretty sure that's how it works on the 360 and PS3 too. If you're downloading whle in low-power mode (360) or on the "turn off when finished" screen (PS3) and the console loses connection, it just turns off.

• Locked thread