Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zenintrude posted:

It's the best launch since the Dreamcast, a console which also launched before its competition to tentative fanfare based on its predecessor's (be them real or merely perceived) failings.

:ohdear:

I adore the Dreamcast and I'm already liking what I'm seeing from the Wii U... damnit Nintendo, do not repeat history for me!

This is almost as silly as "[2001 era] Microsoft has introduced a product, therefore it must dominate just like Windows did!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cat doter posted:

Is there any point to getting the 'pro' pack if you can expand the internal memory with USB storage? Is it going to be that only certain things can be on the internal memory, or is it going to be more open? I ask because the regular ol' white version is only $50 more in Australia (HOLY poo poo :siren: :supaburn: :siren:) but the 'pro' version is $80 more.

Not sure anyone would even know, but might as well ask.

If you've already got an external hard drive ready I don't really see a reason to buy the deluxe edition unless you want NintendoLand.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hobo Siege posted:

Consider that this thing is going to be rendering three screens at max load, one of them in HD. That's going to be a fairly severe drag, and the unimpressive CPU isn't going to help. I don't think we're looking at an N64 > Dreamcast type leap here.

But it's not going to do that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MUFFlNS posted:

R&D for console development takes years. The hardware would have been finalized quite a while ago, especially since developers have been working on launch games for the new Sony/Microsoft consoles for the past two years at least.

Apparently Sony in particular are being particularly ambitious, with the PS4 rumoured quite heavily to be designed to support a 4k resolution (to tie-in with the new TVs that are supposed to be coming out at some point) which will make the Wii U's 1080p maximum resolution look quite wimpy in comparison (even though I think most Wii U games so far are only 720p native?).

The thing with resolution is that it has diminishing returns assuming screen size remains constant, which at this point is probably true unless we all adopt LED walls or something.

In addition, you're probably going to run into the same issue as the PS3/360 where the consoles really couldn't output at that resolution, so it will be upscaled from "only" 1080p (or whatever), making the distinction minimal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think the other elephant in the room is the Kinect/Move. if Microsoft and Sony believe that this is the 'future of gaming' or whatever and insist that their next control scheme be a Wiimote-esque thing then developers may shift focus more to the graphically less demanding but (control wise) easier Wii U.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chaltab posted:

They never said that they wouldn't license UE4 to the system anyway, right? What they said they said that they weren't personally going to make any UE4 games for it. Optimizing the engine for the Wii U themselves would cost them money, but if someone else wants to foot the bill it's no skin off their backs.

Has Epic even made anything outside of Gears in the last five years? I guess there's Bulletstorm but that was more of a cult hit than a big system mover.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a possibility that they'll support a "Retina" like mode where everything is just pixel doubled but I think this is about as high resolution wise as we get before literal wall-TVs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bombadilillo posted:

The whole point of 'retina' is that the screen is very close to your eyes so increasing the pixels works to make things more clear. Its pointless on on a screen thats across the room. The pixel distance is very much diminishing returns. The only goal of increased res is a larger and larger screen.

Yeah, but this is Sony, who retroactively put 3D into most of their first party titles so I think they'd be clever dumb enough to do it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Oh really. Do go on and tell us your qualifications to critique writing in video games.

"being Mass Effect 3".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

I really don't get the loving deal with Zombies. It's almost as ubiquitous as "BACON!" and seems like a huge in joke every one except for me is in on. Is it that people have found a fictional class of person it is morally acceptable to slaughter?

Because the idea of a zombie attack (or any post apocalyptic scenario in general) is that people who were formerly well off are forced to fight for their very survival in ways they aren't used to and that they might even find morally repugnant.

Which is exactly what the crash of 2008 did to a lot of rich-ish people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

japtor posted:

I like that they're all cartoony characters, then bam, (relatively) realistic Epona's head. Kind of reminds me of the Godfather.

Yeah, the right side looks more like Bowser & co to me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If nothing else I see exactly why Nintendo chose that particular controller configuration.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Almost Smart posted:

ZombiU is one of those games no one would give much of a poo poo about if it was released later in the console's life. That's not to say it's going to be a bad game or anything, but what I've seen just seems so... average. It's got weekend rental written all over it.

So it's a great launch title then. (remember Kameo, or...Resistance: Fall of Man?)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Atomicated posted:

Yeah those people were ridiculous but Bioshock didn't have a local multiplayer mode. The argument isn't that every game made should be online its that if you're going to code this local multiplayer mode it'd be nice if you could do it online.

Maybe not every game should have a multiplayer mode?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm learning so much in this thread. :psyboom:

So for a layman the tech consensus is "the Wii U is more powerful than it looks on paper."

And not just the Wii U!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gendo posted:

Before I decide how much I enjoy a game I'm going to need to see the publisher's standard and poor rating.

It's at least tangentially important for console manufacturers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZeroAX posted:

Seriously who gives a gently caress? In a year the 720/ps4 will be out and be 10 times better than the Wii U anyways.

I'm going to laugh if Sony requires Move be bundled with all of their systems.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Almost Smart posted:

Yeah, but those GB updates are just for minor things like stability issues and the like. If you extrapolate on that, a new Wii mode would be something like 2TB and take a month to download.

And that's why extrapolating is dumb.

There aren't any such things as delta updates in the Wii U. As a result, 99% of what you're downloading is exactly the same code as before.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skywalker6705 posted:

Dude, I know it's a warning but you seriously cannot excuse the entire OS being crippled by one app failure. Imagine if the entire computer became unusable every time you had a program install fail, or lost power.

I have had to reinstall my OS on multiple occasions by turning it off when installing updates.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowbear posted:

Or maybe they just weren't that excited by the announcement of yet another round of sequels to the same Nintendo franchises and they don't have some weird ulterior motive that makes them poo poo on Nintendo?!

I mean, I was pretty stoked by some of the stuff in the Nintendo Direct but I can totally see how someone who has sequel fatigue and is hoping for something new could be super underwhelmed by what was announced. The crazy theories that tend to pop up whenever stuff like this happens always amazes me.

Except there are plenty of new games being announced? I mean poo poo they have Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive, that's basically as new as you can get relative to a traditional Nintendo platform.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GI_Clutch posted:

I can picture the Nintendophone now. A call comes in and you slide to accept it. By the time the phone application finally starts up fifteen seconds later, the other party has already hung up. Then you wait another eight seconds to get back to the home screen. They'll fix that in an update in sixth months. Then you have to wait another three months for your carrier to approve the update and push it out OTA.

So like Android, but it actually gets fixes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Edoraz posted:

Do it No More Heroes style, and hold the gamepad up to your face like a phone. It's like having a real Samsung Galaxy Note! :iamafag:

Pretend this is a Wii-U controller.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WendigoJohnson posted:

You know with Nintendo salvaging Bayonetta 2. I really have to wonder how much money it would take for them to convince Square Enix to do a Final Fantasy 7 remake and have it be a Wii-U exclusive.

You can debate the sales of Bayonetta, Mad World, and Bayonetta 2. But a Final Fantasy 7 remake would crush anything in it's path.

This isn't 2002 anymore and a lot of people have never played Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

big mean giraffe posted:

It's not like all of us 20-somethings and 30-somethings who played it and loved it have died or stopped playing video games. It would still sell insanely well.

It would sell decently as an absolute figure assuming no console restrictions, probably. For the Wii-U, a lot of the base are either young enough that they never played it (ie, they're either around 15 or they never played the game when they were 3), or old enough that they didn't get into video games until the last generation. In addition, it's sold about 10 million copies in 13 years; it probably needs to sell at least 1/3 of that in about 1 year for a 'real' remake (ie, not a 3DS thing).

Basically, you need just about everyone who bought it for their PSX to both have a Wii-U, and want to buy it as well.

• Locked thread