Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They could also do what they did with the 3DS and patch it so games can tap into the OS ram as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

japtor posted:

Probably io_burn:

Wow the children's hospital thing and how he referred to those who helped him as "pukes" makes him a really big piece of poo poo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Game journalists love talking about how Nintendo is TOTALLY GONNA FAIL THIS YEAR GUYS despite the fact that they've posted just one year in their entire history of profit loss. I think it's mostly cause Nintendo still makes bright colorful rated E games and game journalists know their market is teens who only consider games good if it has an M rating and has guns

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One thing I hope the Wii U does it tone down how much developers spend on making games. We're already at the edge of an event horizon where one game that doesn't sell tens of millions of copies can shut down a studio that has had a stellar track record of games. It's already hard enough to try and get investors to take a risk on a game that isn't CoD or some sequel to a popular game imagine if the jump next gen with the Ps4/Next Xbox pushes the prices up another $50M to make a game. Perhaps by having a weaker console that isn't extremely weak like the Wii was this generation developers won't gleefully throw themselves over a cliff with the thought that they might catch a branch to save themselves instead of smashing into the ground below and perhaps we'll get a little bit attempts at games that aren't another War Shooter 5: Shooterier Edition

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The superior choice is clearly Waa and you know it :colbert:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The club shoot out when you get near the end was one of my favorite things about that level. It felt very Bond to me

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So is "The death of console gaming!" gonna be the new "PC gaming is dead!" now? Cause I'm still waiting for the PC one to come true

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The mii maker part one music I can swear there's a few cords of some Zelda music around the forty second mark

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

NG3 was terrible when it first came out, not exactly surprised that putting polish on a turd still doesn't make it stop being a turd. It wasn't hardware or slow down that was the issue, it was the game design and gameplay so unless they completely made a new NG than this version would still be just as terrible as the other versions

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I love that a player placing blocks on the screen was intended as a griefing tool first and a co-op tool second. The devs know whats up

If you aren't actively trying to gently caress over the other plays in NSMB games you're playing it wrong :colbert:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah ZombiU seems to be pretty divided but it seems like its mostly coming down to people knowing its a rogue-like where ever bullet is very precious and enjoying it for a very slow survival horror and those who want a L4D or RE6 shoot everything game and don't enjoy it

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 18, 2012

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/making-friends-with-wii-u

The bad news about the console is just stacking up.

I can't wait for Monster Hunter to come out so I can just play that and ignore all the retarded stuff Nintendo has done.

There's also the ability to send out friend requests with those you've recenty played an online game with from the miiverse as well. Really I don't get why people are upset about this. It's like the same way I do it in xbox live. I type in someones name and they get a request or if I've played with them I find their name in recent players and send one. If you were to type out ever single step like "Click profile" and "click send request" the xbox live add a friend would look long as well

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I waited to get Arkham City when I found out I could get it in this and I regret not getting NSMBU since it seems that it's acctually a really fun 2-D Mario and not just a repeat of the first two :sigh:

I'm hoping the communities get expanded to allow user made ones cause miiverse is already pretty awesome. It's a twitter for my nintendos :3:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Iacen posted:

I found this linked on another forum: Wii U launch: Reactions mixed, software already discounted

The headline is rather alarmist, but the content doesn't seem that hit-driven. Is it really that unprecedented as the article makes it, that the games are being sold with a discount already? I have no idea how American retain works and the whole Black Friday-stuff eludes me.

I love how everything Nintendo related in game journalism is always doom and gloom. Yeah, software is discounted the week of Black Friday? How is that a shocking and troublesome sign? It's like the IGN article claiming the way to add friends is nonsensical despite the steps he listed being nearly identical to Xbox live

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On the subject of storage can someone link me a good sized, cheap external harddrive? Will I always need a Y-cable with them to get it to work or can I find one with a external power cord?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

loudog999 posted:

The Miiverse is so cool, it really is hard to explain to people that don't have a Wii U how fun it is to be a part of. I really hope Nintendo realizes the potential it has and continues to expand it.

One of my biggest hopes for the Miiverse is adding group/clan/user communities. It would be awesome to have some sort of outside group that would carry over into all online games that support it instead of having to do a guild for each seperate game

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I ordered that 1.5TB external HD from NewEgg someone posted a page or two ago. Seventy bucks and I'll never have to worry about storage again now. Much better than when I had to pay a hundred bucks for just 20 GBs for my xbox

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I'm really surprised with Miiverse. I just spent like half an hour making posts and replying to some. It's also great seeing what other people are saying about games I don't have right from the home screen and holy crap some people have talent drawing on the game pad. Miiverse integration with games is gonna be really awesome if devs do it right

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like achievements when they aren't forced. Like I hate playing a game and because games need to have so many achievements for, say, the Xbox 360 they'll throw in really stupid ones cause they need filler to meet the requirement. It'd be nice if games that have built in achievements were able to be viewed in someone's profile but other than that were left to developers to decide how many they want, if at all. I also like when devs make them tied to in-game rewards and not just make some useless number get bigger

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can't wait for some good horror games to pop up on the Wii U. The pad would be great for, say, the player having to hold up a cellphone as a light source or something along those lines. I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumblings of a Fatal Frame on this yet

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got my 1.5 TB external in the mail today and now I'll never have to worry about storage for my WiiU again. I'm still so happy I don't have to shell out a huge amount of money for some lovely specific HD. Yes, I'm still bitter about having to pay $100 for just a measly 20 GB for my 360 :argh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That's kind of been game journalism's MO for the past few years though. Every thing spells the down fall/end/doom of Nintendo and this is totally their last console FOR REAL THIS TIME

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Sony and Nintendo both are doing fine and a p good job overall and will probably stick around a while longer.

Just, so many bizarre leaps of fanboy logic. If the system doesn't host the latest Online Internet Kill Simulator it has no value to anyone and therefore,

Actually Sony is in a bit of trouble. They've been, as a company as a whole, hemorrhaging money for the past four years to the tune of billions. So of the two Nintendo has been the stronger company but it's odd to see that in the game media everyone spouts the reverse

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It sucks that it locks up but since Nintendo seems to actually not be stupid with the Internet this time we can hopefully get a patch to fix it soon.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just realized that you can sort miiverse posts by most popular instead of just most recent :stare: this is even more awesome

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All they would need is to follow the Valve system. Pay to get hats for your Pokemon :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

flyboi posted:

:words: about processor

NERD! No but seriously that explained a ton really. I know next to nothing about processors and I'm guilty of going "Bigger number better :downs:" plenty of times

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pffft that's it? I got my hands on a PS4 dev kit and it's 2048 bit at the very least

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Nintendo is not doing bad, but they're not doing as great as their peers

:psyduck: What? Sony is losing money every year for the past eight years in all it's divisions, including it's gaming one, and Microsoft still had to subsidize the loses it gets from it's gaming division's losses with profit from it's other divisions untill a few years ago but now it's back to losing millions on it. Of the three Nintendo is the only one that, until last year, always posted net gains

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think the real issue here is why I can't order food from my Wii or WiiU like you can in Japan? What the hell, Nintendo? I wanna be the ultimate useless piece of poo poo when I play my video games :argh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

But the Club Nintendo in Japan gets all the really cool prizes :argh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fruit is the best thing Game of the Forever :colbert:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I have already a bazillion devices that can not only play DVDs but also Netflix and Hulu. I mean, my TV can do Netflix and Hulu. I guess it's nice to have a device that consolidates it all together, but none will do it as efficiently as a Roku or HTPC, so it doesn't really matter to me.

The only media I use Wii U for is Youtube in the web browser because the curtain open/close mechanic makes for good youtube shenanigans with company.

There is nothing better than having friends over with that curtain up and showing them some horrible AwfulVision video like a man in an inflatable pig suit or something

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Game overs are a left over from before things like saves existed. The Meatboy and the way Mario games do it is much better and lives are just a metric of how well you're doing instead of how many gently caress ups you have left

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah that's a pretty dumb move on NoE's part. Hoping that doesn't come to America or any other region and I'm hoping enough people complain that NoE stops doing it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Louisgod posted:

It's by no means a big fat failure, I have no idea why you're saying that. Like any console, you gotta give it a good year for it to get adequate footing before pronouncing the console "dead", and with a launch you have to look at the 2 or 3 week window to get a good idea of how well it's doing. I think the Famitsu numbers only capture 2 days worth of sales. How it does during the holiday season through early January will give a better idea of how well the launch was in Japan.

I think he's being sarcastic since it's a Nintendo console and those numbers will be the new reason this week in game journalism why Nintendo is doomed this time for real before they find some other reason why Nintendo's downfall will definitely be soon next week

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 11, 2012

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Revelations is what I hope all future REs are like, honestly. It had the great over the shoulder camera from four but it had the tension of the older games. I didn't feel like a power house that nothing could touch like the recent games in it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Isn't this the same logic he used for the PS3 launch back in 06?

People still listen to Pachter? When has he been right about anything ever?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

deadwing posted:

Aww yeah, some sort of picture drawing game in Game & Wario.

Looks like it'll be a drat solid set of games to bust out with a group of people over, I'm really getting excited for it.

So are those pictures on the right side people who are by you in the same room playing together or is this somehow an online WarioWare with people on your friends list being able to have that little camera on the tablet on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Owning FunkyBarn gets you VIP status in the FunkyBarn club on the miiverse. Speaking of miiverse anyone know when we'll be able to do those private communities cause that's gonna own

• Locked thread