Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Hi parenting thread I have a two year old who just grabbed a Kleenex and blew her own nose and I am ecstatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Fwiw when my toddler caught HFM my wife got it and I didn’t

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We took my 2yo to the zoo a few weeks back and she was most interested in the pigs in the little farm section; totally nonplussed by the BABY TIGERS. Kids are stupid.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

we've done pretty much no screen time for my 2 y.o. Don't have a TV in the house. She thinks of our phones as devices that play songs on command and that can video call her grandparents. She's seen some stuff at daycare/visiting relatives who leave their TV running (she was apparently enraptured by a soccer game yesterday) but it's worked out pretty well.

We're doing our first big trip with her right now and did have a few episodes of Old Enough on netflix ready to go for when we're on the plane or whatever. But since it's subtitled, my wife is reading it to her and my kiddo seems to think of it as a book with moving pictures. She wanted to watch the same episode four times in a row and was then perfectly happy to be done.

but, yeah, that's been facilitated by access to daycare and work schedules that mean at least one parent can generally be pretty much 100% focused on her when not in day care. Which is tough and not feasible for everyone. If we have another one, I imagine we might have to shift the policy.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid didn’t want any turkey or green beans but damned if she didn’t eat some pumpkin pie

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid was exposed to roseola/sixth disease! Yayyyyy!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I said "I love you!" to my 2 year old and she said "I love you too!" I know this is a thing she's trying out and she doesn't really *mean* it the same way I do but I am still heart-eyes-emoji about it

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

we're starting a three day potty training weekend today. so far the score is 2-2 (I think).

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I can’t decide if I dislike LATCH more or less than PURPLE crying as an acronym

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I almost hosed up Santa for my nephew this weekend. I was talking about how I didn’t know how to handle it with my toddler. Luckily, his older brother redirected me tho :3:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

2.5 year old woke up at 1:30am and is wide awake talking about farm animals on repeat so

I’m sorry for you but I’m glad (?) my kid (same age) isn’t the only one who pulls this act (in our case, it’s usually talking about Curious George)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

Is it bad that I did a fist pump in my car after I dropped the twins off for daycare this morning after their Christmas break?

Not at all

We have a snow day and I am so pissed.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

CherryCola posted:

Boyfriend’s four year old has entered the “why” phase, and we got into why does money exist earlier 😂

And just now. Why are comedians.

:eng101: as an economist dad, I hope you explained the double coincidence of wants

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We had that issue with my kid for a long time. She was seven weeks premature and has always been tiny. We struggled to get enough food in her — adding formula to breast milk to get more calories kind of thing.

You can talk to your pediatrician; ours was basically like “as long as she’s on the same curve, it’s fine.” So we have this little 3rd percentile toddler who is very happy and doing well otherwise.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My daughter (about 29 months) has mostly potty trained (starting in mid-December) using the Oh Crap! book method, although we’re not bothering with overnight yet. We remind her/prompt her about once an hour and she still has a pee accident every couple of days (usually when napping or when she’s got a dump coming on) but it’s actually worked okay.

This is partially in the service of switching daycare to the one that is on my walking commute to work.

A hilarious downside is that she’s too small for the smallest underwear they sell at Target so she’s got plumber’s crack going a lot of the time.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We are considering moving my kid to a different daycare largely to gain the convenience of walking her to and from school on my walk to work. The new place is about the same cost, doesn’t do lunch and is much more free form (and has a larger age range of kids — up to about kindergarten).

Im a little nervous because current place is totally fine and, like, what if my kid hates the new one. The old one is run by the school district and has nicer facilities. but my kid probably won’t notice, and have I mentioned we would to walk her every day? And they don’t have snow days at the drop of a hat like the district does now?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

calandryll posted:

My wife and I were reading in bed last night when we heard some kitchen cabinets open and closed. Wife said it was probably the cats, I got up to check on the kiddo and nope not in bed. She moved like a ninja, we didn't hear a door open, or see her, or hear her footsteps, to get some more fruit snacks.

Rules

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

How does my daughter, who is 2 and a half, take such massive dumps

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Yeah ours was a combination of “trash corner” on the tray, taking things away when she was throwing them, and time. We got a cheap plastic picnic-table style tablecloth that we put under her chair to make cleanup easier. But she was a dropper, not a thrower.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I have heard that can be an issue with dishwasher soap and the silicon stuff. We hand wash those, but that may be too much of a hassle.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Shout out to my 2.5 y.o. who woke up at midnight and has just been quoting books and songs at me for the past hour. Go the gently caress to sleep kid.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Why won’t my kid poop gdi

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I didn’t see “weekend” and freaked out for a minute there

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter keeps periodically taking out all the Valentines she got at school and looking them over saying how nice they and how nice everyone was for giving them to her

I am dying,

:kimchi: that’s very sweet

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

we switched to the walkable daycare. my daughter was happy except when she realized I would be leaving, and then there were Big Tears. but they reported that she was fine after a couple of minutes and had a good day with all the other kids. and then she fell asleep two hours early, so I think the "you get to play all gd day with bigger kids" model is working out for us.

although we told ourselves we'd wait a few weeks before deciding if we'd made a mistake (assuming that she'd have a really hard time), so I guess I should withhold judgment here anyway.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid wants to see pictures of herself and her toys and then pictures that don’t exist but she thinks should exist

It’s very annoying. We don’t have a TV and haven’t really introduced her to video in the house yet (it’s something that exists in other peoples’ houses) but it’s only a matter of time.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Shout out to my child who seems to have an ear infection or something that is causing her to wake up inconsolably sobbing repeatedly. No fever, won’t say what’s wrong, just tears.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

dismas posted:

Shout out to my child who seems to have an ear infection or something that is causing her to wake up inconsolably sobbing repeatedly. No fever, won’t say what’s wrong, just tears.

Double ear infection, turns out. Surprise!!!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My daughter (2.5) figured out how to open the door to her room and come find us in our room. This is pretty irritating. Although it happened tonight before I came up to bed but after my wife had been asleep. my wife texted me to collect little miss, who just wanted to be held for a minute. It was kinda sweet.

Basically everything about my kid vacillates between annoying and cute

e: significantly less cute when she did it again at 3:30

dismas fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 5, 2023

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Tamarillo posted:

My son's been experimenting with "I don't have to talk right now" when asked about his day in the car ride home from daycare.

lol this rules

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

mine (2.5 y.o.) has started having more accidents at daycare but apparently they think it's a combination of:
(1) She can't get onto the (adult height) toilet by herself very easily (she is small and not very coordinated)
(2) She is getting interested in what other kids are doing and not paying as much attention to, like, "ah dang I need to pee"

they're not worried about it, so whatever. she rarely has accidents at home, although I dread when we start doing no more diapers overnight or if she has a regression when kid #2 arrives

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

now if I could only get her to fall asleep without a parent present and with less than two + hours of bedtime poo poo going on, i'd be a proud dad

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We tried sleep training when our kid was about 10 months and couldn’t stand the cry-vomiting. So now bedtime is like a two and a half hour ritual bath-stories-snuggling and singing songs and listening to my daughter process whatever she’s thinking about (it’s books. It’s always books).

We’re going to have to figure it out this summer because when newborn comes along this fall it’s not going to be workable and I don’t want the older one to resent the new one any more than she will already.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Stuffed aminals!! Also called “friends” :3:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

CherryCola posted:

Oh my boyfriend has to reinforce that we are currently calling the gulf and the bay the “ocean” because it’s not yet time to teach the four year old complex geographic features.

I work in cartography so this is a STRUGGLE for me. 😅

I live in Minnesota but my wife’s from CA. We (I) enjoy referring to the Pacific as a lake whenever possible.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Two of our friends are oceanography adjacent so I get to annoy them AND my wife by encouraging my daughter to call the ocean a lake. It’s great. Gonna get their toddler to do it too.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I would take recs on books for introducing my 2.5 yo daughter to the concept that she’s going to be a big sister. I think we probably are gonna have to broach the subject in week or two here.

She really, really loves books and seems to interpret her feelings through them a lot so I’m thinking introducing the idea through books might be a good way to go.

Idk. She’s little, not sure she’ll really understand.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Glad my 2 year old is excited about having a sister because looks like she is officially on the way, in-laws are already driving here to look after my daughter while we go to the hospital shiiiiiiiiit

Good luck!!!!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Renegret posted:

The biggest test of our marriage was my wife, an experienced infant teacher but unable to move from having her insides cut open a few hours prior, being forced to watch me change my first ever diaper. All made worse by the difficult black tarry poop that she had never had to deal with before.

My kid was in the NICU and the nurses made me change the first diaper. Which I had never done before in my life. It was actually kind of great, I was proud of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid tries to use “parents say it’s time to use the potty” to extract us reading a book to her which only kind of works because she’s too distracted to try to pee