Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Don't something like three quarters of filers get a refund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Most of the people who "get the flu" from the dead- or weakened- virus vaccine are just experiencing the innate immune system response. When the immune system recognizes a pathogen it begins antibody manufacture, but that takes time. In the meanwhile the body has a "standard red alert" sort of thing that includes slight fever, aches, and other "flu-like" symptoms to sort of shore up a beachhead so the infection doesn't get too established before antibody response can kick in.

Your immune system has no way of knowing that there's no real danger of infection taking hold from a dead or weakened pathogen, so it goes to battlestations anyway. It lasts a couple days until the body realizes it isn't really sick.

Of course some people who get vaccinated do get the flu anyway, either because they were infected before being vaccinated and just hadn't broken out in symptoms yet or because the vaccine isn't 100% proof due to the sheer variety of flu strains. This plus the above innate reaction makes people think they get sick because of the vaccine because the human brain is poo poo when it comes to correlation vs causation.

Get your loving flu vaccine.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eulogistics posted:

The Fort Hood shooter was one Ivan Lopez, who was being treated for mental issues but had not yet been diagnosed with anything. Do we even know if he was Muslim?

Puerto Rico has approximately 5,000 Muslims out of 3.75 million people, so while anything's possible I'm going to go with "probably not".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Republicans posted:

Funny thing is in past episodes when the topic of changing the Redskins name came up he agreed that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. But not by GOVERNMENT FORCE.

The call-ins for suggested replacement names were hee-larious, of course.

Ever since this gained traction again I've been pushing for the "Washington Machine".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Reminder that Michael Reagan was adopted by Reagan and his first wife, spent most of his childhood in boarding school upon Ron's marriage to Nancy, and at his high school graduation his father introduced himself to Michael with "My name's Ronald Reagan. What's yours?"

If there has ever been a clearer-cut case of a boy spending his life idolizing and seeking approval from an emotionally distant father I've never encountered it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phone posted:

I'm not sure if the Navy has a lot of sway in a land locked country like Iraq, but then again, I'm just a civilian.

I tried, but I just can't let this slide: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basra

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
About two weeks late on the news cycle, too. Way to stay relevant.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That quote is from 1967, wow. Was Reagan really considered a viable Presidential candidate in his first year in office in California?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Because Nixon.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
DC comics, thank you. Also a teensploitation flick called Wild in the Streets.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And someone's local Fox anchor just used a racial slur to describe Lady Gaga's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4EimDlDEc&t=20s

EDIT: I know local Fox has zero to do with big Fox, but since there was some Oscars/racist discussion going on here...

Her co-anchor has some excellent self-control. Not even an eyebrow raise.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SedanChair posted:

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Armor piercing handgun rounds are illegal.
Wrong.

Huh?

Edit to include text, highlighting mine:

"the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1985 posted:

"(B) The term 'armor piercing ammunition' means a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium. Such term does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.".

Partly due to that part about "may be used in a handgun" becoming applicable to M855 ammunition (which has a steel projectile core) because of the growing availability of cut-down AR pistols, BATFE is seeking to change what "the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes" means, which is entirely within their authority as I understand it.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SedanChair posted:

They are. If you're worried about crime, focus on inequality,

Yes, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives should ignore dangerous trends in firearms and ammunition and focus on inequality.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Frasier itself is a bangin good show and it only too me turning 30 to realize it.

First few seasons anyway, then it fell into that godawful place sitcoms go after a few years when the sexual/romantic tension gets resolved by actually hooking up and/or platonic friends decide they should gently caress for no reason at all.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Deadulus posted:

It does the old an act of true love will save you troupe. The movie leads on that it is the love from the male character that will save the girl. It flips to the love from her sister (sacrificing herself) is what saves her.

It's her own act of love for her sister that saves Anna, which gives her a lot more agency than the traditional "someone save me" princess. So you can see why assholes would hate it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Print is media, at least for the next ten years or so. Post away.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

icantfindaname posted:

So is it just me or is the level of tantrum rage among the right starting to climb to its inevitable peak when Hillary wins the election? My local radio man is bitching about how none of the scandals are sticking to Hillary and this is the angriest I've heard him in a long time. I honestly think if she wins the shitfit will be significantly worse than with Obama, at least within the RW media bubble

"Peak" implies that it will calm down after the election.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If she really was just expecting spandex and "BAM! POW!" then she is in desperate need of the course, to learn what comics are actually like.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Okay, did I miss something? "Rape tree" seemed to come out of nowhere there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
He's Trump, he's Trump, he's Trump
The party's id.
He's Trump, he's Trump, he's Trump
What's on his head?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Who was the old dude sucking off a furry then?

Kneel Armstrong.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Erick, Son of Erick worries about the coming War of Gay Aggression.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VitalSigns posted:

I would love to read a book about the dolchstosslegende, because the mental gymnastics required to ignore that the kaiser was a loving idiot and the army had no plan to win the war after August 1914, and blame it all on the people who took over after Willy resigned must be incredible.

Well, we know that now. But at the time the German public - and the military, including a certain corporal - were being told that they were on the verge of victory. Oh sure, we might be having some shortages, but every war has that and with the brave sacrifice of all Germans we're sure to win! Your unit might have gotten smashed up in that last push, but overall we're close to winning this thing! Keep it up boys, the enemy will crack any day now thanks to our skill and valor!

The dolchstoßlegende was entirely based on the internal propaganda that the German Empire was putting out, that made the people believe that victory was imminent. The sudden and (without the real context) inexplicable surrender of the government must therefore have had some other reasoning behind it - something sinister. And Germany had had a pretty dark streak of antisemitism ever since Martin Luther's syphilis finally drove him crazy, so hey, that must be the real cause.

Literally a conspiracy theory that gripped most of the nation.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 6, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

beatlegs posted:

Is it really "taking a stand" to not be needlessly inaccurate about something that's so easily discernable?

Do... do you not know what thread you're in?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

7c Nickel posted:

I want a Domestic Gryphon instead.

You desire incorrectly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ron Jeremy posted:

You'd think that with how the demographic skews older now it'd be a little less angsty than before.

You do know what thread you're posting in, right?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Go gently caress yourself Crowder

Yes, this is his view on Flint

As if those companies weren't under very lucrative state government contracts to do exactly loving that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
She's a bellwether. She says things that are outrageous and surprising, but her saying them at least gets them talked about and exposes people to the idea. Then, a couple years later, someone else proposes the same thing and it doesn't seem quite so outrageous because hey, haven't we heard that before? I forget who said it though...

She's not the only bellwether in conservative media, nor is she the best anymore, but she was one of the first to rise to the attention of the public at large in the modern era.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This doesnt really work, a gun free zone wont stop someone from massacring everyone because he doesnt care about the law (which he intended to break anyway) while your garden variety tranmy might follow enforced bathroom laws because it wants to keep its job. In one situation a law breaker is ignoring laws, in the other a law follower is followong the law.

In addition to why everyone else is calling you an rear end in a top hat I just wanted to point out that a person should not be referred to as "it" unless they specifically request, and doing so says a lot about your state of mind and willingness to dehumanize people who are not like you, Buffalo Bill.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chantilly Say posted:

Removing the little check mark seems like such an odd non-response, though. It doesn't actually do anything to him.

Evidence suggests it does, though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vargatron posted:

The next storyline is Trump turns face and saves the Republican Party from itself. Obama then reveals himself as the modern day reincarnation of D-Generation X and then fights Trump in Hell in the Cell.

I don't even watch rasslin' but I'd watch the hell out of that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I'm intrigued by the implication that without his wife's "correction" a 3-year-old would have assumed quite rightly that a trans woman was a woman.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RZA Encryption posted:

So by "left-wing" you mean "not right-wing".

Well hell, that's how RWM defines it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BernieLomax posted:

Old post but nobody gave the right answer.

If you set your account to private you lose the checkmark. He did this for some reason for a while. This is in the FAQ for verified accounts afair.

Wait, seriously? Is this confirmed anywhere, that his baby temper tantrum over being "censored" was his own loving stupid fault?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epic High Five posted:

That's a big ol' red flag to me to keep an eye out for when this guy's name pops up in some horrible underage sex scandal

That haircut and beard wasn't a big enough red flag for you?

Joshmo posted:

Ken Ham is a crazy, young earth creationist, walking lawsuit, but somehow he seems to be getting away with this crap.

Not to be flip about it, but he gets away with this crap because he's doing it in Kentucky.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

WampaLord posted:

I don't care what it's changed to, all I know is that I demand change!

*thread title is changed*

I didn't actually think they would change it!

RWM: I didn't actually think (((they))) would change the title!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brain Curry posted:

Makes sense. The modern congress favors running over passing.

:boom:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Who What Now posted:

It's hilarious how easy it is to get under people like Hannity's skin.

That's why he's Lumpy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm legitimately curious, is he there for one of his "'investigations" or otherwise to be subversive, or is he a legit Hillary supporter?

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Is his soft side the one that wants to gently caress his daughter?

Hopefully. If it ever gets hard she might be in trouble.