Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I feel like the odd man out, because while I find this a stunning looking and interesting manga I don't find it parcticularly funny. I read through all 18 chapters yesterday and can only recall laughing out loud once, which was at the punch in the balls. Maybe I'm just juvenile or something I guess. I do find it interesting enough to keep reading at the very least, and it's definitely great looking so I'm hoping that it'll get more fun as things go on with the introduction of more heroes and so on, but everyone else keeps praising it's humor and I'm just not feeling it :(

I think I was expecting the wrong thing though when I read it for a start, because the OP made me think it'd be more thought provoking than it is with the line that it was about the main character having an early mid life crisis and pondering the nature of strength etc. There's a bit of that, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

It's just a horse in a suit.

he doesn't even have hands or anything, it's just a horse. In a suit. Fantastic.

Finally, Bad Horse from Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog his a rival that can stand up to him and free us of his rein of sin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

Yeah, always awesome when an artist loves what they do enough to spend even their free time coming up with insane poo poo like that.

How do we know he wasn't just stuck at work and venting his frustrations in an odd but fun manner?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AnonSpore posted:

Murata works way too much to hate working. The man will post tweets at four in the morning Japan time about how he finally got the texture of wool looking right or something.

Just because you'd rather be doing one thing doesn't mean you hate the other thing. Dude could really just have been wanting to go fishing and knew he couldn't or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

That's great. Not just the art matching but it still works, maybe even better than the original, if you don't know who Saitama is.

Yea, I don't think that's true. The original is a little girl gearing up to bat away a meteor. Saitama only works if you know who he is because otherwise he just looks like another part of the crowd above preparing for the end, albeit with surprise mid-shop in his case.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Jesus. The reflection in his helm alone blows me away. That's a lot of work. I wonder did he do it all in the last few days or start several weeks ago and just eek away at some of it while he was doing the chapters leading up to it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AtomikKrab posted:

It has been three chapters loving hold your poo poo in, one of them introducing the arc, this one with a new character.

If the same thing happened in Bleach, and it does, a lot, people would be howling about it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AnonSpore posted:

Good thing this manga isn't Bleach then. :v:

No, but being great in art doesn't make the story immune to criticism. Personally, I don't mind the fact he's taken two chapters to revel in art and indulge his passion, but I can see how someone would mind and I would hope he doesn't continue to do so for much longer.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

I know people are pointing out how it's basically just a photo of the city run through photoshop, but I still think this is absolutely awesome:

Honestly, I barely even noticed the city scape in that picture. I only really noticed the city when Genos's take off basically shatters a building and surrounding pavement and the very final pages with Saitama landing. The only thing I noticed in that picture was the clouds and dust, which are amazing looking.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His hero name will be Baldy, or possibly just "That Guy".

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 6, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why am I not surprised that in Saitama's universe you can get a good deal on vegetables at the "Chest Hair Shop".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

I dunno about it being the nicest thing, but it is certainly the most respect he has shown to anyone.

Maybe he'll let him in on his secret and he'll believe him and become more just like that other salary dude who featured a while back. Regardless, Licenseless Rider is a cool guy. Nice to see the one of the few heroes who actually acts like one is a reference to the original Kamen Rider.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Condiv posted:

teethbrushing is incidental because saitama didn't do it as much as he needed to during the 3 years of training.

I like to imagine in that case, that if he had maintained dental hygiene like he maintained the rest of his training regimen that he'd have Superman-like breath powers - super minty and fresh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shindragon posted:

That was soooooo good.

I wonder if Saitama is going to be viewed legit or people are going to think it's still a fraud.

I'm assuming the people on site will believe in him, but no-one else will because he's a C class hero and no-one was filming the fight because it was short. Blink and you'd have missed it, no-one had time to realize he was that strong till after it was over really. I'm not sure how the people there would be able to not believe it given the huge rear end shockwave from his single punch, the fact no-one had done any real damage to the Sea King before Siatama faced him and there was no-one else around. There's no way to justify it as someone else doing it really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

I find myself questioning if this might be our first creature to not be a one-shot. Somehow he just doesn't look quite dead enough yet.

Even if this was true, there'd be no point. Saitama blew a hole in his stomach with no effort and withstood his attack with no effect. Even if the Sea King had some life left in him it'd be clear he had no chance to win, so what'd be the point? Literally the only thing it'd accomplish is that it'd be an enemy who took a second hit to put down, and only because he was too stubborn to stay down after the first. There's no point to taking two hits instead of one if there's no tension in the second hit really.

Meme Emulator posted:

If anyone was on the fence about reading the original, everything is all caught up now.

Are you sure? I was waiting for someone to say this in the thread so I could check out the One version and have already gone through the next arc, but the first translated One chapter appears to be a chapter or two away from the current Murata version. It picks up with [Minor One Manga Spoilers] Genos and Saitama at Bang's dojo, with no explanation why. You can infer why, but it's never clearly stated and the change in location etc. seems to suggest there's still one or two in-between chapters to go.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 2, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bongo Bill posted:

Saitama was definitely helping the other heroes save face at his own expense. Given what we know about him, there's no other explanation.

It's not just what we know about him, it's what we know about the Sea King i.e. that he wasn't in any way tired out or worn down by the other heroes. Add in the fact that you see him silently listening to the crowd disparage the other heroes for several panels and there's no other possible explanation for his otherwise out of character out-burst. I'm honestly not sure how you could possibly pull any other explanation from it. Or what that explanation would be.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Pretty sure he had an outburst in his apartment with Genos at one point, exclaiming that with everything he's done he should be more well known. It could be explained by him just being kind of impulsive though and realizing that it doesn't matter when faced with the mob dismissing all heroes as worthless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AnonSpore posted:

Technically, they could each think that the hero(es) that came after them was the one to soften the Sea King up enough for Saitama to kill him, and coincidentally, the last one to face him before Saitama was Genos himself.

Wasn't Licence-less Rider the last one to face him before Saitama?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Pretty sure popular support doesn't get you a motorbike license - though I guess if the president or Emperor or whatever is in charge in this fictional Japan was in the crowd, then it might be different.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Opter posted:

So begins the next 2+ week wait. Those last pages definitely made it worth it, especially the final shot with the bike. I also find it kinda interesting how Saitama only seems to have one fan outside Genos/maybe Fang and he's probably the most earnest hero.

He probably has a few more fans, they just don't know what to call him. The kid he saves at the start of the manga from the crab-man, his father who started the Hero Organization and a few others I might be forgetting are his fans - they just don't know Saitama is him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Even if it were true I don't think anyone else besides Genos knows how he gained his strength. They seem more put off by how unassuming his personality is, the fact that he isn't pushing for more and grandstanding and the fact that no-one else knows who he is. Everyone's just going along on a "that guy?" frame of mind because of some variation of the bystander effect along with the fact that the tests showed him doing things so far beyond what even the other heroes are capable of that they for some reason just assumed it couldn't be true and figured he just stole all the stopwatches and messed with them, or bribed people. Cause I mean, our greatest hero can't be...that guy. Can it?

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 20, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
And then you realize he has a mullet and probably looks like a redneck from the side or back and it's destroyed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

There's a fan theory that blast is just the codename the hero association assigns to all the guys who Saitama beat up but don't actually know his true identity.

I'm wondering if, given the similarity in naming, he's not the brother Bang mentions in the just linked chapter.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder if we'll ever get a backstory for Speed of Sound Sonic to show where his fixation on speed developed and if he followed some kind of regime. It'd be kind of funny if he became a rather feminine male because he followed a simple workout plan religiously the same way Saitama went bald.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gnome7 posted:

He does have responsibilities but it is the exact opposite of what you think they are. One Punch is something he draws as a hobby. Mob Psycho is something that he draws as a job.

Every time I read something like this I just picture a slightly reframed context for a Saitama "It's just a hobby" panel. Murata isn't the Saitama of art, it's ONE. And any time people question his priorities or methods regarding the comic the response is the same. I imagine if/when Murata catches up he'll just let Murata take over art duties and do the writing for the comic, with maybe some sketchy (even by his normal OPM standards) layouts to work from, so that he can prioritize MB100 while doing as little as he needs to to keep OPM going. It makes sense to do so after all, since it's being sold with Murata's art now anyways and his version is basically already serving as a layout for the redraw as is.

He might even just give Murata notes to do the writing from himself, becoming more of a consultant on the series than author at that point, since hasn't Murata done manga on his own before? I don't know how good they were writing wise, but if he's got good notes he can probably pick up the slack himself or hire someone else to help do the writing based off ONE's notes and consultation regarding intent and the spirit he envisions for it.

gnome7 posted:

And if you think OPM is worth more than Mob Psycho, buddy, you should go read Mob Psycho.

I have, OPM is better by far in my opinion - though I seem to be much in the majority in that regard.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 22, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Looks familiar, is that the old persona of the All Might analogue in the My Hero Academia pilot chapter?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Terper posted:

And so, Saitama's harem grows once more.

I wonder who's harem will be bigger by the end, Saitama or Nanoha? They both operate on much the same "I'mma friendship you, whether you like it or not" principle too - Saitama just does it inadvertently while Nanoha does it consciously.

Kind of want to see magical girl Saitama now too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shadow0 posted:

Saitama's group is great because it's some slightly weird people slowly realizing how to be real heros

Genos doesn't really fit that archetype. Or King for that matter. Genos was a pretty heroic person from the outset who's only training under Saitama because he's the first person to realize just how strong Saitama actually is and wants to become stronger himself so that he can get his revenge. King knows how strong he is too and I doubt he's gonna become a better hero or person around Saitama.

Bang is also friends with Saitama having recognized his true strength and while he doesn't hang around in a posse like the others, we know he talks with Saitama occasionally at the very least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shugojin posted:

Two times infinity is still just infinity.

Not all infinities are equal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There is no mystical lore. This is a universe where if you love crabs hard enough you'll turn in to a crab monster. These dudes just love tanktops and fervently believe the freedom of movement it offers gives you much greater power. They believe it so much it's true. That's it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

To be fair, if you get Speed of Sonic Sound sent after you, you're probably a pretty bad guy. Nobody hires a world class assassin/ninja to take out saints.

Martin Luther King Jr. might disagree. You have to be really, really high-profile and controversial to attract enough ire to do it by good deeds, but it does happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who cares? It's not an important part of the manga, and toning it down would make no real difference.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

khy posted:

The fact that Saitama's punches LITERALLY EXPLODE PEOPLE'S HEADS is enjoyable and without it the anime just won't feel the same.

The important part of those panels is showing the ease with which Saitama is beating them. The gore isn't really important to that and I won't miss it if it's gone.

khy posted:

Or do you think that this scene would possibly be the same without a dangling eyeball?

Given that the eye is in no way definitely belonging to that guy and can handily be replaced by any random body part or piece of armor, yes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
We already know he pulls his punches even against guys like Boros - him pulling them a bit so as not to stain his suit or whatever is no different.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Can Of Worms posted:

I liked how Saitama immediately perks up when Tank Top Master mentions how strong Garou is. :allears:

I like how it was Tank Top Master saying that he'd taken out so many monsters with one punch before this and grown complacent that made him pay attention to him as a person.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like it just because it seems to fit with the weird naming scheme a lot of the manga's heroes go for to me. This is the manga with Metal Bat, Watchdog-Man, Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask, Superalloy Darkshine, various Tanktop users and so on. Bald Cape slots in with those to me no problem.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, I can imagine Genos writing out a full essay explaining his history in detail, along with information on all of his various cyborg enhancements because the backstory portion of the form is several pages long, with a note that extra pages are available on request and he feels obligated.

Saitama obviously just wrote "it's a hobby" on the top line and called it a day though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is Watchdog-man his own best friend? :raise:

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 22, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait...who's Panic? First thing to come to mind is King, and putting the two together to get Panic-King, which seems like a perfect name for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I want Saitama to take Krillin on as his apprentice in a crossover issue.