Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also, Genos didn't believe Saitama. Dead giveaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I love that Saitama just effortlessly deals with all problems related to punching, and I hope at no point in the manga does that ever change. The thing that makes him interesting is how he relates to other people while basically being an invincible god, not how he deals with fights. I'd roll my eyes if the series ever fell back onto the Shonen tropes of him facing a new and overwhelming threat that he had to power up to overcome or something.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

sharktamer posted:

Yeah but why would a NEET be outside?

Because a horrible monster destroyed his disgusting hovel?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Waffleman_ posted:

I watched so many Chinese martial arts movies I became a Chinese sword!

Nah, that sword is the living avatar of all the ancient weaponry has been relegated to the role of mere decorations. It has already given its speech about how it's time all the ancient and powerful implements of war avenged themselves upon a callous and prideful humanity that would make mere wall-hangings of them.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mraagvpeine posted:

That makes me wonder, can Saitama defeat ghosts?

Nah, pretty sure you need a teenage ESPer with a flat emotional affect who is learning to open his heart to the experiences of other people in his life for that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AnonSpore posted:

Yes because Saitama is really the type to beat up a lot of heroes who routinely risk their lives to save the planet

It could have been from one of those AUs where the superheros are all fascist overlord bad guys.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Broseph Brostar posted:

Is that the inspiration for King Gorilla in Venture Bros?

Likely.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Crain posted:

I don't really think a live action OPM is worth it though? I'm not really sure how you'd do the whole ONE style Saitama -> Murata style cool Saitama without just way too much CGI. But eh, maybe if they really worked on it like MCU it'd work.

I dunno, I think it could be like a Christopher Reeves Superman/Clark Kent thing, where a good enough actor could, through body language and facial expression, pull off the clear distinction between "everyday egg-face Saitama" and "serious business Saitama".

Edit: But yeah it's probably not going to be that, it's probably just going to be bad if it exists at all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Binary Badger posted:

the new loss edit

being thrown into a dumpster is often much harder on the esper than the man

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wanna know what's going on with Tank Top Girl.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

JosephWongKS posted:

Genos is still best waifu though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, those 100 squats really pay dividends.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think Genos is trying very hard to be a good boy and has come a long way in part thanks to Saitama but he still has a lot to learn

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nazi man's monster form is SMT as hell.

I mean, when you think about it, the whole idea is very SMT, as well. Demon/monsterification happens to some chaos goon practically every game.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kild posted:

So Crabiante was an A Rank monster. Kinda proves that argument earlier that even prehero Saitama was a beast.

While not discounting that Saitama was very heroic and demonstrated some good quick-thinking and agility, it's also the case that Crablante had a glaring weakness that an above-average athlete could exploit, and Saitama was lucky to be in a position to take advantage of that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think Saitama is a funny and very entertaining character, but Mob is an exceptionally lovable and compelling one. They're both stories about extremely powerful characters who have detached feelings about their incredible might, but Mob is vulnerable in ways that Saitama is not, and I think that is what sets such different tones for the different stories.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

owl milk posted:

I just want this to get caught up so more people can see the best King joke

My favorite thing about King is how he is such an effective force for good in the world while... being as powerful as he is.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, I love ONE, but yikes.

:same:

most of the time ONE shows himself to be a very sensitive and empathetic writer, it's weird that he doesn't seem to get or care about how his portrayal of PPP scans.

I guess everyone has their blindspots.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, I always thought Sagat was evil and Elena wasn't.

I don't know if we can infer their alignment just from the fact that these characters are sparring.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MiniFoo posted:

See post above. Now what would actually be a crappy super power is the inverse of that - completely invulnerable to harm, but as weak or weaker than an average human being.

You are describing Zombieman. Granted, he makes up for it by having guns and other weapons on him at all times.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lmao

Seriously tho Genos why are you such a chump

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Keeshhound posted:

And then in later arcs (meteor, I think?) we see that Genos has adopted his master's far more practical running technique, while holding a suitcase.

Genos may be kind of a dweeb, but he is also a very good boy who learns from his mistakes and pays attention to his superiors.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fargin Icehole posted:

Would Bizarro Saitama have hair?

Too much hair.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Edit: whoops nm

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Reading the raws without knowing Japanese is cool because there's a lot of things that are communicated so pointedly through the visuals. That panel got a laugh out of me.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Listen guys, Genos is pretty cool, but he's no Pig God

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I loving love that Genos has learned to embrace the fact that he keeps getting torn apart and is now a fully modular robot boy.

It's very Battle Angel Alita of him.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's like King of the Hill in that the humor is more the contradictions of the setting and the quirks of the characters expressed naturally rather than specific gags or setups and punchlines, for the most part.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I believe the honorable poster may be implying... it is better than good.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Of course Murata would draw lace by hand

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I dont know if it's fair to call it worsely drawn. It's less technically sophisticated and skillful for sure, but it's also got a very consistent and distinct aesthetic with its own charms. Personally, I like the MP100 style a lot, about as much as Murata but for different reasons.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Very carefully

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if the ripper monster bandaged Garou. It clearly has a lot of practice with gauze.

Though, you wonder how it manages with blade hands.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think it's more likely that the status she garners as a mid-profile hero may be enough for her to maneuver out of that situation. She could probably tell them to send the bill to the Hero Association and get away with it, assuming they don't just comp her.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Amante posted:

Doesn't surprise me; Kuseno seems way too nice. Between that and him showing up in an ominous looking mech suit this chapter, I'm pretty sure there's a betrayal coming in the future. Like him being the one who destroyed Genos's village all along.

I thought Kuseno made the cyborg who destroyed Genos's village, and is trying to atone?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder how Pig God falls into this equation. He seems like he might have 'monsterified' because of an obsession with eating, yet somehow retained being a decent human being.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AtheistMantis posted:

Saitama always has the trait of gag character. It'd be the same result if Thanos fought Arale, or Squirrel Girl.

Yeah, the real question is, what about One Punch Man vs Squirrel Girl.

To which, the correct answer is, whatever is funniest, as is the wont of gag characters. Probably neither or both, somehow

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Elfface posted:

Their 'fight' would be struggling over the last packet of discount nuts. It would end with the grocery store destroyed and both of them banned.

Yeah but squirrel girl would still get the discount nuts somehow

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mystic Mongol posted:

I am constantly reduced to scrap, but now that I've reduced my armor and general durability, I surely won't get blown to pieces by monsters!

I appreciate that he is minmaxing his inherent glass cannonhood. If you accept that being chumped is inevitable, why not go all out before you get wrecked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kild posted:

its worth knowing but saitama does NOT want to get stronger

In games where you can turn on a 1 hit kill godmode, it hardly matters if you get new moves