Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Is this the first time a chapter has interrupted the story to provide background info mid-issue? I feel like usually these tangents are standalone bonus chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It never really occured to me that Genos still thinks that King is legit. It's pretty amusing that Saitama never let him in on the secret!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I love the call back of someone calling Atomic Samurai "old man". One of my favourite jokes in the series is the exchange between AS and Saitama with the lines:

"besides, I'm not middle aged, I'm only 37"

"37 isn't middle aged??"

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It's insane to me that just the raid on the Monster Association is a story that will have taken years to tell over dozens of chapters (and probably multiple seasons of the TV show), all to cover events that take place over, what, like 2 or 3 hours in actual story time?

I don't know if this sort of thing is common in manga/anime by can't think of a precedent in any other story I've ever heard.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

And then deciding not to because man, that's a long way down :allears:

Similarly, I'm enjoying the shear absurdity of the size of the Monster Association HQ. In the fights with Rover and Orochi, it's shown to be somewhere on the order of 100+ floors and probably as wide as several city blocks.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

Not!Godzilla that Tatsumaki dropped a rock on in the anime. Got canonized to the manga with the latest chapter.

Speaking of which... did you interpret that scene as her having conjured the meteor out of nothing? That's how I first saw it (as an anime-only guy), but after knowing the rest of the story from reading the manga, it doesn't really fit with her established powers.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
This gag manga has never been laugh-a-minute for me, but Saitama going for, and immediately losing, the bag of gold was up there with the best laughs.

(2nd best laugh is Atomic Samurai’s “I’m not middle aged, I’m only 37”)

(1st best laugh is Saitama’s “sure I’ll come, I’ve got nothing better to do!”)

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Love the frame of Flashy Flash in a spinning ninja jump pose, right beside Saitama in his dumb baby-punch pose!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Is it all building up to Flashy & Saitama rolling up to Orochi's corpse, and Saitama just being like "oh, him? Yeah I ran into hours ago..."

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

graham cracker posted:

Garou is the only real hero fight me.

Once MY true hero hears what you said, he's going to bike over to your house and take care* of you!

*Help you with your problems and inspire you to be a better person

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
On my first read of this chapter, I had completely missed the tiny frame of Geno's running to the battle and worrying about whether Saitama's clothes were ok.

I love OPM...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
One thing I appreciate about this manga, is that even though the story is unfolding at a very slow pace, and this current story arc has already taken years, ONE doesn’t ever seem to forget about any loose ends. I had completely forgotten about the mercenaries that Amai Mask killed, and I never would have thought they would get a call-back.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Thank goodness! This is the first time the bi-weekly release has been delayed since I started following the updates in real time.

Was starting to worry that Murata had succumbed to Coronavirus!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Saitama will not allow that, he will go on to live under saitamas house

You mean like he's doing right now?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Was the Orochi goo breaking that glass container at the beginning of the chapter significant of anything? It looked like some kind of lab-grown monster fell out, but it's not ringing a bell that this refers to anything that had been specifically set up in an earlier chapter.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'd post the panel directly but I'm on my phone and don't really know how to get images posted easily since SA doesn't encode on phones

https://mangadex.org/chapter/780171/18

Probably too distracted by Psychos being evil Fubuki to notice any of that though.

Thanks for this! Was that specific frame one of Murata’s classic chapter re-dos?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Thank you again! I really appreciate your effort in answering my questions!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
To anyone more familiar with Japanese culture, is this Darkshine issue just a matter of a cultural "blind spot"? It seems inconceivable to me (a North American) that both ONE and Murata (and, presumably, any other members of their publishing team) could be completely oblivious to the problem of your story's only apparent black character, not actually being a black person.

It's just weird, since it would be so easy for the manga to just ret-con that Darkshine is black. It's also weird to me that the change in skin tone goes completely un-commented on. Is "body-builders always use bronzers/fake tans" really such a well known thing that everyone would just get it?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

verbal enema posted:

gently caress I forgot about Homeless Emperor wonder how that is gonna get resolved

wonder how all them fights get resolved

Atomic Samurai is probably my favourite S Class, and it kills me that my dude's been dangling by his hair in Black Sperm's giant hand-head for, like, months...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Because it's been so long since we've seen Atomic Samurai in action, I really loved that since winning his battle outright seems completely impossible, he's resorted to just slicing Black Sperm to pieces as an effort to simply annoy him!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I feel like the manga could easily be adapted into a movie in terms of what actually happens on screen. For example doing a movie that spans the start of the series up to the Boros arc. But unless you are explicitly planning on a franchise, I don't see how you can have a satisfying movie since the end of Saitama's character arc won't be resolved for many years.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I think all the monsters / meteors that Saitama killed before deep sea king could be hammered out quickly as a Saitama/Genos intro or a "now we're heroes" montage.

House of Evolution could be cut since it doesn't add a ton to the streamlined story of a movie (you could do the reveal of how Saitama became strong at any point).

Speed Of Sound Sonic can probably be cut. But put a lot of focus on joining the Hero Association, and doing some world building there. Show some of the darker undertones of some of the heroes.

And yeah, cutting off at Deep Sea King probably makes sense so that you don't have to introduce any of the other S Class, really. The ending won't do a lot to resolve the story line of Saitama's boredom, but that arc is a really good "this is what it means to be a true hero" story. And could work very well for a movie.

If there is a sequel, you could pretty much do the entire thing on Boros.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I had been thinking for a while that maybe with the introduction of this new mega monster, while other crazy strong monsters, as well as Garou himself, are now in the mix, that we might see an all-S Class (probably minus Blast and Metal Knight) finale.

If Metal Bat is back for the fight, I am pumped!

Get Watch Dog Man in here!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I'll take a quick pit stop to pick up Tank Top Professor on the way to the fire works factory, if it's all the same with you!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I don't really have an opinion about which version is "better", but I just find it all so... baffling. Why change it so that the mercs don't get killed, when this has implications on a bunch of stuff that happens in subsequent chapters. Does Murata now have to draw a scene with the disciples bringing the mercs up to the surface? What happens to the conversation between Tatsumaki and Sweet Mask?

It's one thing to be a perfectionist and to change up the art in previous chapters, but changing the story is kind of insane. We already had the manga as a retelling of the web comic; now we have alternate versions of the manga that have different levels of connection to the web comic...

It also begs the question for me: where does the official version of this manga "exist"? Aren't there printed volumes for which changing these chapters would be impossible.

I just don't get any of this...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I think it's fair to say that the "content" of season 2 is just no where close to season 1, regardless of who was animating it.

In my personal opinion, the manga chapters that comprise season 2 are probably the low point of the series (before getting really good again with the assault on the Monster Association.

So I'm not sure season 2 could have ever lived up to the legacy of S1.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Anyone in this threat able to translate this tweet from Murata better than Twitter can? I assume it's an update on what's going on with the changes to the chapters in the next volume, but it's sort of hard to tell:

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1263740049926963200?s=19

I'd love to think we could get a new chapter soon, but I'm pretty doubtful about that.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Part of me wonders if the main reason for this redraw is thinking about season 3 of the anime, and the need to include Saitama more. The next season would likely end with Orochi vs Saitama, and that doesn't leave him with much to do in between.

As for the changes, I think they are mostly fine, but I agree that the stakes were much lower. Pheonix man ended up way more powerful in his final stage previously, and any fight that has Saitama as a spectator is not going to feel very threatening.

Of course, now I've lost track of how many loose threads there still are in additional chapters that need to be changed...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
There is some good stuff in the redraws. I got a laugh out of Saitama punching his way into the psychic dreamland, for example.

I was going to say that the worst part was not having Pheonix man tear off his costume, but it seems pretty clear that either One or Murata want to bring Pheonix man back at some point.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Zombieman is the best S-Class hero, next to Genos.

If you mean personality-wise, or just good-natured-ness, I have to enter Darkshine into the mix. He's just so jovial!

Actually Silverfang seems pretty chill as well...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Parrotine posted:

This series has gotta be a nightmare to publish for, has more recuts than Blade Runner

Not to mention that if the next season of the anime was under production (not sure what the status of that is) these changes would be causing major problems.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

on the other hand, imagine how many more duplicate copies you can sell with reprints

It's true, one kind of neat (and sort of unprecedented) thing is that we actually get to see how some of the story could have unfolded differently in alternate realities!

Always wanted to do that with stories that I really enjoy...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

And I really loved Saitama grabbing Phoenixman's arm at the end. It made Child Emperor feel not-invincible without taking away his victory, if that makes sense.

One of things that I love about the Hero Association assault on the MA, is how it lures you into a false sense of security. For quite a while the heroes are absolutely cleaning up: all the stuff on the surface, Flashy Flash vs the two ninjas, Child Emperor vs Pheonix Man, Tatsumaki vs Gyoro Gyoro, and then Saitama vs Rover and Orochi (with lots of Demon-levels ground to dust in between).

It's only around the Atomic Samurai vs Black Sperm fight that things start to take a turn for the worst.

So, probably the only thing I don't like about the redraws is that Saitama sort of takes the win from Child Emperor (or at least takes away some of the life and death stakes). I kind of wish we could have gotten everything we did, just with Saitama distracted during the climax of the Pheonix Man fight.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 11, 2020

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

RatHat posted:

Phoenixman and the cadres are all Dragon class, all the ones that got chumped were Demons. There can be very wide gaps of power between Dragons though. Compare Phoenixman to Boros for example(Yes Boros was only a very strong dragon, he wasn't God class).

The ninjas were both dragon level in their monster form, and I'd say they got chumped by Flash. Also Gyoro Gyoro (though it was just a meat puppet).

Also I've always thought the story was too stingy with the disaster level God label. Can you really say that guys like Black Sperm, Elder Centipede, or especially Boros don't pose the threat of human extinction?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Jerkface posted:

I'm psyklos' visible psychic areolas

I’m her apparently required psychic reading glasses!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

suicide4sexbots posted:

oppai so stronk... it can no longer be contained. but it may be the only thing keeping this maniac manga going

that said, how can Tats possibly face it down, she's just not equipped for this battle

the only thing certain is that shonen never changes

A big part of me is wondering if all these massive displays of power are only in service to having Garou eventually one-shot Psyclos to show that he's reached near-Saitama levels of strength...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I see the content added for the Murata version to mostly expand on the story and characters, and possibly build more foreshadowing for the entire arc of the series.

I genuinely believe the main beats will be the same as the webcomic (characters who kill / defeat other characters, and major story twists). And this immediate conflict is not going to be the end of story.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I disagree. The webcomic and the manga emphasize very different things and are distinct stories, despite portraying roughly the same events.

Even though I follow both I can't think off the top of my head any major manga thing that actually directly contradicts the plot of the webcomic.

What I still find interesting is that in the manga you will still get certain chapters that are almost a word for word remake. The Garou vs Darkshine fight is a good example.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hell yeah Tatsumaki teach them why you're the No. 2 Hero.

gently caress yeah!

Also glad for my boy Genos. Dragon Cannon is some cool poo poo.

I'm really not sure where all of this is going, but I kind of love that Tatsumaki's confidence hasn't wavered for an instant despite everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I've meant to ask this thread for a while: in modern day mangas like this, do the artists draw every detail by hand or are computers used to fill in things like motion lines and stuff?

Even in normal chapters, where you have Saitama walking down the street, the characters are pretty basic, but there is an insane level of detail in the city scape around them. Is Murata doing all of this himself?