Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
edited to remove possible spoilers

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think the Garou arc is worth a year of keeping the Murata thread spoiler-free.

Yeah I agree, just to be safe I removed it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Caped Baldy is more insulting, but Bald Cape is more indifferent, and I think I like the indifferent reading better.

Agreed, It's pretty much the most no-effort name they could have gone with and I think that's perfect.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Yeah Bang's already in the club

Mumen Rider too. Some of the heroes do get it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Also Mob Psycho 100.

Same creator, and higher levels of quality.

fixed it for you.

Not saying one punch man is bad, rather that mob psycho is just that amazing.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Get bent, Puri Puri Prisoner is aces

Nah, he's terrible.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bisse posted:

Agreed ONE is a fantastic author and Big Gay Prison Rapist Hee Hee is an odd misstep in an otherwise fantastic manga, let's talk about Free Hugger he is the best monster ever. A+ monster design.

Kill Puri Puri and replace him in the hero association with Free Hugger.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TowerofOil posted:

Ok I'll admit I was being a little dense, never read the bonus chapter with his prison antics so I was missing some reference. I still think some of the jokes PPP are part of are funny. I also can't help but chuckle every time his fights just turn into naked monster wrastlin.

If that's all PPP was, that's fine. It's the rape that makes him bad. Hiding a phone in his rear end, fighting while naked and being a weirdo is fine. Hell even if he was just promiscuous that'd still be okay. Not flattering representation but whatever, it's not worth getting the pitchforks out about. But him actively grooming and sexually assaulting people absolutely crosses the line. For the one gay character in the comic it definitely comes across as ONE suggesting, this is just how gay people are, lol. Because him being gay is pretty much his entire personality, there is really nothing else to the character. ONE is a much better writer than that so it's disappointing to see.

Ivankov isn't in the same boat at all considering the dude is noble as gently caress even if he is a stereotype. Also as mentioned, he's Tim Curry so he absolutely gets a pass. Bon Clay is cool too. The island stuff is bad but at least that's not the only example of what gay people are like in OP so that helps a great deal.

But yeah, the problem isn't whether or not a character is a stereotype. It's just there are some really repugnant and disgusting stereotypes that are really lovely and it would be nice to see otherwise very good writers not use them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

sharktamer posted:

My theory is that watchdogman is a guy in a dog suit.

Except the guy is actually a powered exo-suit that is piloted by a very small dog.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

And More posted:

I'll only read Mob if the anime's second season somehow isn't goddamn amazing. :colbert:

I guess if you want to deprive yourself of a great comic that's your call.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gologle posted:

I think it's fair to assume then that if Saitama didn't take Monako in then Flashy Flash did.

He better have.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Were summoning heroes to help us
Oh no the heroes also need help

The question I have is whether this is a one and done for the summoning or if we are going to see a lot more worlds and people/genres get added to the mix eventually. It would be a little dull if it's just future people kill the demons and magic medieval people kill the aliens or whatever.

Could see it going either way but I imagine there'll be some kind of further twist to this to really mix things up. It's ONE after all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Caidin posted:

The crux of the manga is let's have a big old monster faction fight, but we also need to have a goodie faction to root for I guess but it's kinda hard to care when they're as disposable as A rank and below heroes but just plain dead and not in full body casts later.

I'm just assuming Alio is either gonna die or get messily sadismed for someone to find later, like maybe by that solider lady who liked him.

I'm not sure if having the monsters fight each other is the real solution. Cause here we see that even if their plan succeeds, they are still going to get crushed in the process. So all they are doing is just making things awkward or a little bit difficult for their natural enemies but they aren't actually improving their own situation. Even if just one natural enemy remains at the end, that's enough to completely doom all of humanity. Assuming there's any humanity left by that point.

Also yeah I think it's more likely than not that Alio just gets chumped here. Though I hope something else happens cause it's pretty bleak to just kill everyone off like this and it's also getting pretty repetitive at this point.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

season two is when you find the natural enemies of these natural enemies.

Season three will be finding the natural enemies of the natural enemies of these natural enemies.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

For another repetitive comparison, there's early Attack on Titan. Almost everyone died like flies, the Titans were presented as almost unstoppable... but we still got enough to keep hope alive. Jean's tactics and Mikasa's strength pulled small wins in a larger loss, even before Eren gave actual short term victory conditions. The heroes could only succeed with one-in-a-million perfect play, but that was still possible, and kept you looking for any mistake. Here, the heroes lose no matter what they do, so who cares when they mess up?

Yeah which is why I think there's going to be another complication or twist (if not several) more. Like yes having a small group of people dealing with an effectively invincible opponent can be a compelling story idea. It's not that rare either. Especially with a focus on the emotional fall out of that and what do you do when you know for a fact that everything is hopeless, etc etc.

But if they keep getting drawn out into direct confrontations one after another in which they just completely lose every time it's just going to get really stale. Like we get it, natural enemies are unbeatable, now what? But ONE isn't nearly that pessimistic in his other works so I have to imagine there's something else coming that's going to change the status quo in some significant way. I don't think it'll be a thing that let's humanity "beat" the enemies since that goes against the premise. But maybe some way to change the nature of the conflict or create a way to make it irrelevant somehow.

We'll just have to see what happens.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah its worth noting that the robots, giants, demons and neohumans have suffered a lot of casualties while the humans have only lost a handfull in the process

It's uncertain whether the casualties even matter to them or will slow either enemy down in any capacity. While the causalities of major assets on humanity's side is going to be acutely felt. They have less people to begin with after all and only so many capable fighters/mages/etc.

Also even if it did distract the giants from the base, it still got Neo Humanity's attention. Here they are promising Alio that they are going to go look for the other humans and kill them all. So it just trades one threat for another and the base is still very much in immediate danger.

So it's hard to see this as a win. It feel's more like delaying the inevitable at the price of making their situation worse overall.

Though if Alio pulls some sort of miracle here that might help a little bit. Even if it's just him managing to survive this somehow.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Again, it's not about who wins. It's about keeping the game from feeling like a blowout too early.

Yeah this is a great way to put it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah if it is going to work like a rock paper scissors kind of thing, then it does seem like it could be: Parasite > Neo Humans > Giants And we're cutting away right before that single parasite just wipes out their entire city. Though presumably Neo humans probably have a lot more cities, just as there's probably countless more giants let alone their leaders. So actually removing one of these threats might be easier said then done even if they have hard counters so to speak. And removing one early might in fact be very bad if it's the only counter to some other threat.

But yeah, my money is on Alio returning as a parasite too. The comic has been pretty relentless so far in escalating things as it is.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Thoren posted:

Is this right?

So far we have seen: New Humanity, Demons, Machines, Aliens, Giants.

And have yet to see:

Untamed Wilderness, Games, Parasite, Calamities, World Tree, Bandits, Curses, God.

Yeah that's about right. Though we did see a parasite. Right at the end of the battle of New Humanity and the Giants. We dont know if that one parasite is just gonna total new humanity or they'll just deal with it or what though.

Still wonder if specific natural enemies counter other specific natural enemies or if they just are all more or less at the same level. Guess we'll find out as we get more match ups as time goes on.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Also narratively, given the number of factions involved it would be really overwhelming to just dump every bit of pertinent information to the reader at once.

It's not like these power ups are that much of a game changer against the natural enemies anyways. They feel more like flavor and world building, seeing what the factions have come up to try to stay alive even if it's mostly futile. Though I think it would grind pacing to a halt if the comic had to stop and introduce every faction, their deal, their natural enemy, their secret techniques, etc before being able to proceed. So this seems like a decent way to handle it.

Though yeah one would think they'd have been warned more about neo humanity in particular, but maybe it's best to assume they were told more than what was shown in the comic. Or conversely the regular humans from that world are just jerks like that.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 29, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Donkringel posted:

I wonder what kind of medical malady having iron injected into your body would cause.

Iron is used to bind oxygen to cells, right? Some sort of oxygen blood toxicity if there is too much 02 binding?

The iron in hemoglobin is bound in a protein so it's very different than just having a bunch of iron molecules just injected into your blood stream to go wherever.

Not sure what that would cause exactly but in general loose heavy metals in your blood can do pretty nasty stuff if there's enough of it (Think stuff like Lead, Mercury Poisoning, etc). So yeah that's probably not good for you at all.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

Yeah, I've had the expectation that it will be a disaster.

The worst thing they could do is to turn it into humourless action shlock.

Well I think we can be a little hopeful on this front. Both of the co-writers are known for their comedy work.

Not saying they will end up nailing the humor, live action anime has a terrible track record of course. But at least that indicates that the people running this understand that it is important for the movie to be funny.
And Campbell has written for the Eric Andre Show, so there's that at least.