Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

I rarely watch them because PVR, but I always laugh when the person's anecdote is even worse than most of them because you just KNOW that is the most interesting thing that has ever happened in that person's life.

The one anecdote I can recall watching offhand is some guy who didn't win telling Alex he watches My Little Pony (the one half the Internet watches) although they didn't say the name on the show.
Why on Earth you would admit that on national television is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Yes

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
looks like 36/50 for me (37 if they recognize my answer of purple=color purple)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Damo posted:

I'm not normally amazed by how ignorant people are, especially young people, especially young Americans in regards to anything that happens outside our borders.

But seriously, how do you get on Jeopardy! and not one of them knows about Northern Ireland? Or how to properly bet during final Jeopardy?

Awesome, America. The future is looking bright.

Twofold: The category was Capital Cities so they probably assumed National capitals instead of Regional ones.

Second: The Good Friday Agreement is 15 years old so either they weren't born or they were infants when it happened so they have no knowledge of The Troubles except in history books.

Betting wise however, all 3 were idiots

ElwoodCuse posted:

if Ken Jennings isn't the first phone call when Trebek retires they are idiots

I forgot if it was in one of his books or on reddit but he's said the producers would likely hire a professional emcee over him.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 8, 2013

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Was it just me or was final jeopardy REALLY easy today? I mean, admittedly I guessed International Space Station for a split second before switching to MIR. Even so, ISS was a very dumb guess.

Seemed dumb to me, the answer was essentially name the 90's space station and the ISS only started being built in 1998

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ElwoodCuse posted:

They had a question about Mellon Arena being the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins like a year after the place closed down (even accounting for tape-to-air)

That bothered me as well, you would think they would research the categories they write before taping.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm pretty sure none of them could be worse than the challenger who used My Little Pony

If I get on, I'm using the time I corrected The World Almanac.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone cares, Ben did a AMA on Reddit about his run on the show:

https://pay.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1i4g6i/hi_im_ben_i_won_seven_and_a_half_games_on/

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I can't feel too sorry for the kid, it was a lock game and he would have still lost regardless of spelling. It just seems odd to have a kids FJ be a relatively complex word to spell.

BTW, this occurred in the teachers game that re-aired last night too.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

jscolon2.0 posted:

I don't know why Trebek pointed out how stupid an answer that was, when everyone else thought the same thing and the actual answer was Martin Luther. It's okay if one religious figure says "better that one person go to Hell than an entire country" but ridiculous when another does it?

The other answers are indefensibly dumb, though.

I think Luther was a moron for even suggesting it but it's not like Henry would've cared either way. The only possible explanation is that she was thinking Pope Alexander VI who was one of the Borgias but he was dead for 30 years at that point. The other two didn't even try to guess a specific Pope so she had the best wrong answer of the three

Her other wrong answers should be rightfully mocked by all

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

zakharov posted:

RRRRRRRGH how was Secret Service a triple stumper?? There's only one agency that deals with counterfeiting and protection!

No one saw To Live and Die in L.A.?

Most people think Secret Service = Presidental Bodyguards only, not counterfeiting

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

zakharov posted:

Anyone remember a previous instance where they had to put a disclaimer up like on the Sebelius clue?
I remember they had to put one up on a answer about King Hussein of Jordan right after he died.

uublog posted:

e: lol they're all too young to know Roots? I watched the TV version in eighth grade history

Considering Roots aired at least 20 years after they were born, It's not surprising at all. I've never seen it either though I have the book.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

uublog posted:

I did it, I finally got a Final Jeopardy! that none of the contestants got (I'm honestly stunned no one got that, it wasn't difficult at all)

Also lmao at a $5 Daily Double

I was shocked no one knew it. I guess no one in the game knew when Hitler came to power.

The odd thing was I was getting most questions wrong in regular Jeopardy and Final was the easiest one in the game for me.

BTW the What Woman Want category on Monday has gotten complaints of sexism instead of the poor product placement complaints it should be getting.

http://mashable.com/2014/09/30/jeopardy-what-women-want-sexism/%3F

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 1, 2014

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

zakharov posted:

Did Ben mouth "holy poo poo" when he got Final right or was it just me? Either way, he's now played 11 games and gotten 11 finals right - very impressive.

What a buzzsaw, even if this board seemed way easier than some of the others in this tournament. This final should be incredible.

I'm certain he did, he did not expect at all to be correct in final. The answer makes sense in hindsight although I had blown it since I was not familiar with the book.

A 20 (?) time champ, a player who's goon approved and one of the biggest trolls in jeopardy history & you've got the making of a proverbial classic championship battle.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

How the gently caress do you NOT get Spice Girls as the answer to that FJ?
I didn't get it due to the Beatles reference since Oasis was being compared to them song wise at the time. I forgot the idea of cultural reference since the spice girls flamed out shortly after their movie.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Not a Children posted:

Tracked this thread down just to ask, who the gently caress names their kid Cerulean?

His lesbian parents in all likelihood so of course he lives in Brooklyn

He did have massive cojones betting 11 grand in double though

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I thought FJ was easy, 1950s foreign born author with multiple V's in the name. Who else could match that description? The surprise for me was how Alex pronounced his last name.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

drat the two challengers today were pretty fuckin good

That was entertaining to watch, especially with each of them on daily double.

That said, what the hell were they thinking with final? I got that before the reading was finished. 1948? The Bible? Did they forget history or were foreign languages outside their wheelhouse?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Is it possible to register for one outside your time zone? I work during the east coast test but can make the other two.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Crap, I managed to get out early but they closed registration so I can't take the test. Good Luck goons

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Final was pretty bad too, Rodgers should've had it since they're in Wisconsin

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

toe knee hand posted:

They all missed Carmen Sandiego? WTF.

I missed it too, I didn't think San Diego was 8th in population. I guess that's due to military.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Manny!’s reaction was hilarious when he found out he won. You would think any of them would realize the clue indicated the country bordering two separate bodies of water but nope.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
How on earth did that softball question get used for a TOC final much less all 3 whiffing on it? Did anyone of them figure out what the X meant in the new one?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

puppets freak me out posted:

I imagine someone from BSS is gonna break down my door to correct me on this, but the FJ today had a really interesting choice of words:

"In 1946, MLJ Mags. changed its name to this “Comics”, incorporating the first name of its popular teenage hero."

Answer was do people really care about Final Jeopardy spoilers? It was Archie.

I really wouldn't consider that character a hero... He's just more of a character. It felt really misleading.

It probably is misleading on technicalities given most people have only likely heard of DC or Marvel so the writers were trying to go for the RC Cola of comics. Known but not well known. They aren’t going to use something like Nowhere Men or Chew unless it was on Film or TV

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I thought it was easy. Crazy + brother + 19th century makes Van Gogh a lock. Theo is almost as famous as Vincent these days given their well documented relationship

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ok, what inept writer thought the Rays expansion year was 1995?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I haven't seen the question, but was it written as "Tampa bay was awarded this baseball team in 1995." Even then, I think they were awarded the team in '93?

The team was awarded in ‘95 but the clue was about when they started to play.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

PT6A posted:

If there is no reference to “what plants crave” I will be gravely disappointed!!!

We’d be lucky if they’ve even heard of Idiocracy, much less quote it.

That reminds me, I still have the last 5 Ow, My Balls episodes on DVR.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
What was Alex thinking on Final when he said TR was not a bad guess? His oaths of office were 42 months apart (Norm is 48)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

A Typical Goon posted:

Jeopardy contestants being terrible at sports categories is my favourite thing

It had to be a president that took over due to an early death in the 20th century so that limits it to Roosevelt, LBJ and Truman

Everyone forgets Coolidge which was the next best guess (19 months).

You would think between studying 18th century opera and German philosophy that contestants would learn about baseball and hockey. Vin Scully could read a entire board about the Dodgers with everyone whiffing on them.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can we just all agree that Cleveland was a shameful guess

She’s from UCF. History isn’t their strong suit given their ideas on NCAA titles.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so in the category about literary title character references, the answer they accepted for "The Godfather" was Vito Corleone

but couldn't you say the main character is Michael

makes you think

Title character != Main character. The (Wonderful) Wizard of Oz isn’t the main character in his book either.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I doubt anyone would admit to watching it but Austin Rogers was on TMZ Live yesterday as a guest host

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pCG1POpwjU

lol how long has jeopardy been handing out WWE style belts

I would assume he had it custom made after winning the TOC.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

Nothing is ever going to top the guy who in like his second day mentioned seeing a priest while visiting the Vatican.

I figure the guy who talked about My Little Pony would be the gold standard is awkwardness

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I find it endearing, play up the Pollyanna voice before demolishing everyone

She also likely saw the honey badger video on YouTube just like the writers.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
My uncle has pancreatic cancer now but he's extremely lucky that he caught it early (being a doctor helps) and it's the type that doesn't kill you stone dead in weeks.

I wish that Alex will recover like that if his immortality via Colbert was true but all I can think of is that he doesn't suffer when he gets his final clue.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I assume they just went with what the IPA uses, accents be damned.

It among other clues tripped me enough to do badly in the test. The writers sure love Chekov, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

When's the earliest time that new Jeopardy airs?

I believe a CBS station in Alabama airs it at 10:30am. Forgot the city though