Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Thirst Mutilator posted:

In addition, heads up: AppShopper was removed from the App Store for violating new-ish rules instituted back in September. Read more about it here.

What does this mean for those of us who already have the app? Will it still restore from iCloud if I get a new phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I really like the Google Maps navigation compared the old Apple-Google maps where you had to press an arrow to get to the next step.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's a good app for tracking car repairs and service? Just had a $600 bill today. :smith:

I use gas cubby. Nice clean interface, never lost data through restores. Kinda wish it had gas mileage charts but oh well.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Downcast is on sale for $1.99, FYI

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I also use the gmail app but it's loading splash page annoys me. The mail app loads instantly, but gmail makes me wait :/

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Just get Solar weather. It is free for today and it is both pretty and uses wunderground :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/solar-weather/id542875991?mt=8

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there only one weather app that can do push notifications?

Are you referring to Weather On? I use that one and it is very nice.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I've installed probably 10 weather apps and I always go back to Today weather. It's got iPhone and iPad versions. I don't know why I like it, I just always go back to it.

Also one of these weather apps should have allergy info. The yahoo one has the loving lunar cycle but no allergy info, what the hell.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

How do I make the podcasts app remember where I am in the track? I just started using podcasts so sorry if this is a dumb question.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

SunknLiner posted:

Umm...mine does this automatically. Are you sure yours doesn't?

EDIT: Not only that, it backs it up too - I just swapped phones and it picked right up where I left off on my old phone.

Hm, it didn't work this morning but seems to be working now. Maybe I pressed the wrong button.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Get Downcast? :haw:

What is better about downcast?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Slid Zion posted:

Perhaps i should just spend $ and purchase and appleTV.

Yeah, you won't regret it. Refurbs are $75 now.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Seconding the yahoo! Sports app. It used to be called Sportacular. It's pretty solid.

Is it better than the ESPN app? Does it have ads?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Why is it that tweetbot has a bunch of updates but calcbot hasn't been updated with iPhone 5 support. How hard is it to support a paid app when you've had over a year to update the drat screen size. Won't be buying any of their apps anymore :mad:

/rant

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

tojarg posted:

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a budging app that allows me to have two different balances (my checking account and my girlfriends), the ability to categorize spending with custom labels and to keep track of spending within those categories, and allow me to specify which account the money came from.

If anyone has recommendations i would love to hear them. If I'm not exalt enough on what features I want just ask and I'll try to clarify.

Head on over to the budgeting thread in BFC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549291

The apps I use are Mint.com and You Need A Budget. Mint for big-picture monthly income tracking, and YNAB for actual budgeting. Mint's budgeting is awful in my experience but I love how it imports all of my accounts into one place. YNAB is manual-entry, which I find is useful for keeping me honest and not going hogwild and ignoring my budget for a month.

edit: I'm a business guy so maybe my solution is a little too much, you might try Mint and see how it works for you, it's low-effort.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Thanks for the suggestion but that's pretty much the polar opposite of what I'm looking for. I just messed around with it for a few minutes and really hated it. Achievements and points and quests and a bunch of other bullshit seems pretty tedious, just looking for something that lets me type in my routine for what I do each day, save that, and then type in the amount of weight I put up in a given session and have that be tracked/saved.

I use Jefit for this.

e: Strong looks pretty badass though, I may switch...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'd like a simple invite, I sent you a PM

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Paprika owns. That's the app that sold my mom on getting an iPad. The grocery list feature is great, you just click one button and the whole recipe is added to your grocery list and synced to your phone from your iPad and vice versa.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Shelf Adventure posted:

I bought paprika for the iPad and it's pretty awesome. Though do I really have to buy another app for my iPhone to sync the shopping list? I hope I've just misunderstood because I'm not going to take my iPad with me shopping and that feature seems really nice.

Unfortunately yes, it is not a universal app. Both the iPhone and iPad apps are on sale though and well worth the $3 each.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

A lot of border crossing paperwork. Compliance, brokerage/bond, etc. lots and lots of PDFs. There are other apps that can do this too but search for my older posts for why I'd rather use this than Evernote.

I also use it heavily as my notepad. All those fancy lists, calendars and todo apps don't work for me because typing isn't as effective for my memory as handwriting. I won't even remember to check my todo itself unless I wrote it.

My only complaint is without searchable tags, after two years, there's a lot of unsearchable stuff in there just because it's written instead of typed.

Do you use a stylus or just your fingers? If so what stylus?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Don Tacorleone posted:

I just bought Castro for podcasts.

It has a nicer interface than most anything else (my player of choice is Downcast), but for the life of me I can't figure out how to go to a specific time in the podcast, the time bar is not interactive?

Like say I want to jump to minute 45 of a 2 hour podcast. How do you do that? I'm hoping the answer is not "you can't" because that would make it a lovely app, despite all the gloss and nice interface.

edit: Ok I just found out by reading some reviews, you hold on a bar next to the backwards time arrow and you scrobble forward or back. Not intuitive at all but whatever. Ok, it's actually pretty poo poo, but the rest of the app is nice.

further edit: Man, it's actually super lovely. I'm appreciating Downcast's "30 second" jump buttons much more now. It's a shame, otherwise the app is great but sometimes you miss what someone said and this way it's harder to control, too easy to jump 20 minutes instead of the 2 that you wanted. Not recommended app.

Get Pocket Casts. I switched from Downcast and don't regret it one bit.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Don Tacorleone posted:

Anything in particular that you like more over downcast? Don't get me wrong I like downcast and I'm not looking to switch but if there's something better I'll give it a shot.

I mostly prefer it for cosmetic reasons. It's been a while since I used Downcast, but I think Pocket Casts has a cleaner and more intuitive interface. I didn't like how the description of the podcast took such a prominent role in the UI, I just want to see the title and click play.

I really don't have any tangible reason why Pocket Casts is better, other than the experience of using it is much more enjoyable for some reason, if that makes sense.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for fitness apps that tell you what workouts you should do? Something for a beginner. Most of the apps I see are for logging exercises.

When I was doing Intro To Swoling I used Jefit, which has downloadable "routines" for beginners. Now that I know what I'm doing, I use Strong.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

smackfu posted:

One of these days I'll try out PocketCasts. It gets good reviews.

I did try Castro. I didn't care for it.

You broke the "never try apps named after dictators" rule.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm using onenote at work to take notes during meetings. I also take a lot of notes on PDFs using goodreader. Is there a way to send those annotated PDFs to be saved in onenote? I believe this can be done on the computer but I want to be able to do it on the iPad itself.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Nope. I don't think the iOS app will be able to import PDFs. I was more hoping that there's an app that specifically imports things into onenote books synced via onedrive. The OneNote app is great except for attaching PDFs.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I hope there's keyboards with new emojis. Love me some emojis.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone else noticed how in the messages app, switching between Swiftkey and another keyboard makes the messages lose position? To switch to Swiftkey it closes the current keyboard, then Swiftkey pops up, but the messages don't shift upward with the keyboard, so half the screen is underneath the keyboard. Mildly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

DarkJC posted:

These keyboards are pretty much in beta at this point. I imagine within the next few weeks a lot of the obvious issues will be ironed out. I think all these companies rushed their keyboards out so they could be on the store when everyone was going to be playing with the new update.

Agreed. They're very buggy with regards to switching keyboards, scrolling issues, and sometimes crashing. Hopefully iOS 8.1 fixes this.

• Locked thread