Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have been waiting since Radiant Dawn was released for a new Fire Emblem.

Waiting with deep and dire anticipation.

And I am broke because of root canals and crap.

And I don't think I care, I think I'm getting that 3DS XL and this game because everything about it looks so wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Rirse posted:

What the difference on the difficultly in the demo? I know this Fire Emblem has a easy mode where permadeath is turned off, but in the demo it's only Normal, Hard, and Insanity.
Permadeath is irrespective of difficulty. You can play Casual even on Insane.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Thanks to my totally awesome friends, I now have a 3DS XL, and downloaded and played the demo.

My god, this game is beautiful. Everything is so crisp and pretty, the FMVs are staggeringly well done, and my god I cannot wait for February 4th. Going to try Hard and then Lunatic later (Normal was almost disappointingly easy, no one ever took more than 4 damage a hit).

theshim
May 1, 2012

I've only run it once but I gained a total of five levels, two on Avatar and one each on Chrom, Sully and Lissa.

Avatar got 3 each time, everyone else got fives. I am very happy to see the return of four stats being a decent level, rather than amazing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

My impression is that Normal is laughably easy, Hard isn't too tough, and Lunatic is bugger all insane and I can only wonder just how bad Insane is going to be.

It took me two tries to beat the Prologue (sitting at the beginning of Chapter 1 now). Chrom gained one level, Lissa two, Avatar zero. How are you supposed to get people experience?!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh, wow. I hadn't realized how ridiculous Chrom's growths are. He's higher or equal to Ike on every stat but Mag and Res...and FE9!Ike was basically the gold standard for Lords.

That is bonkers. :unsmigghh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Chrom got a 1 for me and I wholeheartedly agreed with his "Well, that was underwhelming..."

Just beat the demo on Lunatic. Honestly my biggest worry with the higher difficulties lies simply in one question - how the hell am I supposed to get people experience? Chrom managed a couple levels, as did Lissa, and Frederick got one, but Avatar couldn't get much at all, and screw trying to level the other two doofi that roll in. This game's gonna be brutal on higher difficulties, isn't it? :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

Zore posted:

Wait, how did your Avatar not gain any levels? They get 1.5X exp from being in double, and since you should always be doubling on Lunatic, and since they have one of the only 'safe' attacks you can make with their ranged magic, I don't get how you didn't get like 5ish levels on them. That was the only way I got through the chapters, and by that point my Avatar had mostly superior stats to Frederick which helped a ton.
I tended to let Chrom grab the "safe" kills while I had Avatar doubled onto Frederick. Not ideal, but I was simply trying to beat the demo. I found it difficult most of the time to get enemies low enough to pick them off with Chrom/Avatar without getting murdered on the enemy phase, given that the enemies always come in three or four at a time!

theshim
May 1, 2012

One thing I'd really like that I feel would give longevity to the games would be adding challenge aspects as selectable rather than tied to a specific difficulty.

In other words I think Reverse Normal would be a fun way of shaking up the series without also making it obscenely difficult and I kind of wish it was selectable.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ahahahaha SUPER LADLE BLOCK yesssssssss!

(I found a Ladle, which counts as an E-rank axe with 1 mt 80 hit 20 uses from one of the tiles in the prologue. I then stuck it on Frederick, because it's a bloody LADLE. And then Frederick blocked a hit for Avatar with a Ladle and I fell over laughing. THIS GAME GUYS.)

Also humorous to me is the last few voiced lines.
"You may call me Marth."
"Really?"
"No."

theshim
May 1, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Usual formula is, for hitting:
Skill*2+Luck+Weapon accuracy+support VS Terrain + Speed*2+Luck+ Support.
Crit is Skill/2+Weapon bonus+ Support - Luck of the foe.
Damage is might of the weapon + Either strength or Magic +Support vs Ennemy Defence or Magic Defence (AKA Resistance) + Support + Terrain.
The hit and evasion calculations have changed (and for the record Luck never has given itself as a value to hit, only to evade - it's halved on hit.) In Awakening, hit is (3*skill + luck)/2 + weapon accuracy + support and evasion in (3*speed + luck)/2 + terrain + support.

e:f;b

e: ^^^ As far as I know you get support both from your paired partner as well as adjacent units, but not from people paired with adjacent units.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I know you get the support bonus from multiple adjacent units, but do you also build up support level with all of them or only the one that goes into battle with you? I feel like it's probably the latter but thought I'd ask for clarification.
You build support with anyone giving you a bonus, as far as I can tell. (This is why I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to people paired with adjacent units.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

What kind of games are the Shin Megami Tensei games? I know nothing about them.
Balls to the wall hard JRPGs. Most well known for being extremely centered around exploiting weaknesses and shoring up your own, as well as very dark and mature (for video games, anyway) settings and stories.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Beat Lunatic again without losing anyone. Apparently I've already sunk nearly five hours into this demo.

Come on February 4th :ohdear:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

If you didn't love Greil's voice acting in FE9 I don't even want to associate with you.
what accent is that
I had an accent once...

But I...

Threw it away.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Nakar posted:

Growths are quite high indeed. Lissa's got like a 60% HP growth as a Cleric and she's one of the fragile ones. +HP Avatar can have well over 100% HP growth in a number of classes. A 30-40% is considered a "low" growth in a stat.
To elaborate on this: someone pointed out that Chrom's growths are equal or superior in everything but Magic and Resistance to FE9 Ike. I don't think you'll need to reset for levels in any real measure.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Terper posted:

I just got to actually listen to this and oh man that's definitely Jennifer Hale as Female 3. :allears:
Well, I was going to play a male Avatar first BUT SO MUCH FOR THAT :getin:

(Oh god why is it not next week yet :cry:)

theshim
May 1, 2012

A few thoughts - is it just me or are children characters going to vastly outstrip their parents? And not even in terms of stats - the average of all three is a much saner way to get stats than FE4's "parent's growths plus half the other's", but as was pointed out skills seem to be the defining factor in a unit's power much more than growths now. More accurately skill availability seems to be the big one to shoot for, and parents being stuck with only three base classes means many of them would likely fall behind - not in power so much as in utility.

Am I way off?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Terper posted:

Well, they changed the Character Recruitment theme to be more subdued and majestic, rather than HECK YEAH NEW PARTY MEMBERS. Whether or not that's good or not, well, that's up to you. It's called Crossroads.
That is really damned good.

Every single thing I learn about this game just makes me more and more ridiculously hyped up for it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Okay, some eugenics questions (spoilered just in case), mostly about Lightning Speed:

Lucina is simply "don't pair Chrom with Sully". Owain, Inigo, and Brady can inherit it. Kjelle wants one of Gaius, Donnel or Avatar for it, as do Noire and Nah. Cynthia and Severa have access to Pegasus Knight anyway. So it seems to maximize people with it, Avatar, Donnel and Gaius are (in no particular order) locked to Sully, Tharja and Nowi...is this correct? If so this irritates me, simply because based purely on design I was going to have a male avatar paired with Cordelia. It's also annoying in that it means forgoing another Villager - should I pass down Good Growths in that case? And with a female Avatar, does this mean it's impossible to get all three of the above with Lightning Speed?

Then we get to Gerome. Is Gerome just flat-out screwed out of Lightning Speed? Same applies to Yarne and Laurent.

theshim fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 5, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

play through the game however you want the first time, all the eugenics abuse and ridiculous builds are mostly only required for the super-hard DLC. Which we don't have yet.
I plan on it and will likely go with the pairing I mentioned for the first run. Nonetheless, I'd like to make sure I've got a good grasp on the system.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

I asked this in the general FE thread and didn't get a complete answer, so here goes: Does Casual Mode change anything other than the omission of permadeath? I'm thinking I should choose it for a less frustrating experience, but was wondering if it lowers the ingame battle difficulty as well or omits other important features.
No. Other than permadeath, Casual and Classic are identical.

The only difference that I can find is that apparently beating the game on Lunatic Casual will only unlock Insane Casual, and you need to beat Lunatic Classic to unlock Insane Classic. Or so I am told!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Terper posted:

The two above me are big fat liars, because Casual does change another thing: it allows you to save and keep going in the middle of battles, like in FE10. Other than that, identical.

I've never heard of anything like this. You're in no way penalised for playing casual.
Ye gods I always manage to forget about battle saves. Probably because I considered them cheating in RD and never used them :v:

As for the other, I was told that by someone who'd played the Japanese version; I cannot attest to its veracity.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Terper posted:

SMTxFire Emblem is old news.

Next stop, BleachxFire Emblem.

I mean seriously though. :psyduck:
I cannot watch this at work and I suspect I am extremely grateful for it! :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Francis posted:

Dual Block is a similarly nonsensical mechanic when you have, say, a peg knight swooping in front of an armor knight to block an arrow.
One of the absolute best moments I had playing the demo was Frederick blocking an axe with a ladle.

Dual Block is awesome and I will hear no ill against it. :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh god I'm being rational and not downloading it because money is tight and the preorder will come and I need to sleep tonight :negative:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Frost Ace posted:

Does anybody know if the paralogues are time limited? I just unlocked the first one but I don't think I'm at an appropriate level to beat it.
They are not. In fact, you're better off waiting on the ones that unlock children characters until you have the skills you want passed down ready to go!

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

So I've been listening to the OST - what's the difference between normal tracks and tracks with the ~fire label? Is it just that they're shorter? Because that's what they sound like to me.

Also kinda getting a FFTA vibe off of some of them.
Fire tracks are the battle music version of a level's theme. Generally more aggressive - stronger brass, military-sounding percussion, that sort of thing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Screw waiting for the preorder.

Went out and bought it during lunch. I was always getting another copy for a friend anyway, so I don't feel bad about it at all!

Started on Normal Classic because I've heard it's around FE8 Hard in difficulty (i.e. pretty easy) and I want my first run to be blind with silly pairings so this seems about right!

theshim
May 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I've actually found that Fred is closer to FE7 Marcus than to Seth or Titania. He's pretty much always going to be worse than the rest of your team once they start promoting.
Given the way reclassing and pairing work, it's pretty easy to bring him up to speed once enemies are worth killing.

Also of note: Frederick has equal or higher growths in everything but Magic and Luck than the Avatar, to pick a random strong unit. His bases are pretty bad compared to when other people start promoting, but give him a few levels and he'll turn out pretty absurd!

theshim
May 1, 2012

neongrey posted:

There's a wind magic one that does too, it'll just be a pain to get since it's one of the randoms you get from item finds so you'll usually get logs instead.
...I got one of these in Chapter 2.

:getin:

(So far my sparklies have been 1 experience, 1 support boost, 1 weapon level boost, Sigurd's Lance, Superior Bow, and Celica's Gale. This just isn't fair.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Status report: Up to chapter 5. Serra showed up in Spotpass (Streetpass? Can never remember which is which) and was a bit too much for then (tried right after chapter 3, whoops :sweatdrop:). Sully is turning out ridiculous. Sumia needs some blasted defense. Vaike still has yet to gain a point of strength. Got another Sigurd's Lance (sparkly tile items have been fantastic so far!).

This game is a giant love letter to Fire Emblem fans everywhere. I am so ridiculously happy with it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I want to keep using The Vaike but he simply will not get strength. I am baffled. That's a 75% growth rate!

theshim
May 1, 2012

This game has so many perfect little touches and tiny details done right. The inclusion of things like a unique line for every character when buying, selling, and forging is just blowing my mind.

(Also Kellam has the best so far. "Go ahead, sell my life. I'll just be over here... :smith:")

theshim
May 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

You can buy an item that does it, or you can just clear story battles.
Oddly enough, I had one appear when I turned my game on this morning, despite having cleared them all out last night before saving.

Levantine posted:

Oh drat, does that mean there is a hard limit to how many random battles you can fight based on missions cleared? Or money earned? I was hoping I could just trek around hitting dots to make them respawn.
Well, considering that you can buy Reeking Boxes...(especially on Normal, where they only cost 500 - they're 4800 on Hard and above though.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Aiight! Finally got the 3DS bundle in the mail and it looks spectacular!

Still haven't decided anything when it comes to pairings, but meh.
I'm honestly not sure who I'm pairing anyone with anymore! The more I play, the more I'm loving every character and every interaction. About the only one I've landed on is avoiding Donnel/Sully (and I'm not even so sure on that one) and I think I'm going Chrom/Sumia, but beyond that I'm just having a hell of a time building up supports and seeing who's best together.

theshim
May 1, 2012

This is wonderful and thank you for posting it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

yulia tymotebow posted:

How replayable are FE games?
To add to what the above have said: I think FE7 is my single most played game; I've beaten it upwards of a dozen times by now, including a substantial number of challenge runs (only using certain units or the like). The games are meant to be played a few times and if you enjoy them it's easy to draw out tons of new ways to keep playing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lotish posted:

And anti-cavalry? So the fact that they're still mounted like all the cavs has finally been noticed by the devs, eh? Ha!

I shouldn't laugh because I'll be needing to use them too, but I like that there are some stronger incentives to use foot units without effective weapon weaknesses.
Yeah, it caught me off-guard when Chrom one-shot a Pegasus Knight and then I saw the green number and was all "oh, cool!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Holy hell I am ridiculously luck with sparkly tiles. Micaiah's Pyre and Seliph's Blade one after the other, this is getting ridiculous. I've gotten exactly two duds in about 40 tiles.

• Locked thread