Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Solkanar512 posted:

The only time mine have cracked were in my pocket or being dropped on the floor.

My cap only broke because I forgot to tell someone it was a twist cap :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think this is probably what I am going to do.

I do this and I'm right handed. Another thing to consider is what paper you have--a more absorbent/cheaper paper usually dries a little faster because the ink doesn't sit on the surface very long

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Have any of you used the Lamy Joy? I like the look of it and it seems to be similar to the Safari in construction.

I'm pretty sure the Lamy Joy is just the 'calligraphy' version of the safari and thus only comes with italic nibs. The nib units should be interchangeable though, and the Safari also has been available with an italic nib.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Strangelet Wave posted:

Are those Lamy italic nibs proper fountain pen nibs with hardened iridium/osmium/whatever tips, or are they just sharpened steel "calligraphy" nibs?

A cursory glance at FPN would indicates that the Lamy italics do not have any tipping material on them

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

Does anyone know an affordable set of inks that work in a fountain pen? For the most part, I'm planning to be using them in brush pens, but I figured that if they work in a pen, they will work in a brush pen, too. I know that windsor & newton have a set, but I'm looking for something cheaper. Too bad noodlers doesn't offer one.

Goulet pens does has a variety of sampler packs, including ones by brand, that are a tad cheaper than buying each of the samples individually, the downside being that you only get 2 mL of each color.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

So I'm curious if folks have noticed this or if I'm just surrounded by weirdos.

When folks ask if someone has a pen to borrow (in a meeting, something where they won't walk off with it) I usually have no issue passing a TWSBI or Pilot Metro their way to see a reaction. After that look of, "what the gently caress is this" the user almost always writes with the nib facing down rather than up. Do you folks see this happening as well?

It's just strange to me, I've never thought to write with the nib down as the "proper" or "natural" way of using the pen.

Also, it's a great way to introduce folks to hobby. The reaction I get from the Metro is amazing! Are the other smaller Pilot nibs as smooth, or does the Metro get a little extra help from being a medium rather than a fine? If so, brilliant marketing decision, it's a gateway drug to be sure.

I usually have no problem handing my pens to other people, but I need to be more careful with my twsbis. Last time I forgot to mention it was a twist cap and the dude separated the metal and plastic on the cap. He got me a mini because he felt bad though, do everything turned out really well

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Synastren posted:

I really prefer waterproof inks; I have a proclivity for spilling stuff on my notebooks and whatnot (and paranoid about students trying to alter grades when they can), and I know how much not-waterproof inks can run. I spilled some stuff on a page that was in Lamy Blue, and it was all gone.

I found this list from 2006 of waterproof (or resistant, at least) inks. Is this roughly complete? I'd like to know what colors I'd have available if I were to get only waterproof inks.

I think you can sort by properties on goulet pens, so you should be able to find all of the waterproof or bulletproof inks that they sell. From a quick glance at the list you linked, it's pretty out of date for noodlers since it only has one of the blacks and Nathan is pretty big on making indestructible inks. The other brands might not have changed as much in the meantime

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I just got my TWSBI Diamond 580 with 1.1 nib in the mail. I was excited to use it, but after the next day, it felt all scratchy against the paper and sometimes refuses to draw ink on some strokes. I don't see any obstruction in the nib. Everything should still be brand new. What could be happening? I hope I didn't do anything wrong. :ohdear:

Moreso than most nibs, stubs tend to be more picky on the angle that they contact the paper, but when it's just right, it should be extremely smooth. At the very least, this is my experience with a twsbi and lamy italic/stub

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, those Metros are loving amazing. I have two that I told my wife I bought "for work". Also, given the price and they fact they come in a decent box, they'd make great gifts - kind of like handing out free crack or something.

Have you noticed that they seem to dry out faster than other pens? The one I has problems starting up again if I don't use it for more than a couple hours (capped). I've never had this problem with anything else except my VP which I think probably has nib problems since it doesn't like to lay down ink in certain directions.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Whoa, I have never, ever had this problem. DO they normally have ink flow issues, even after they start writing? What kind of inks do you use? Have you ever removed the nib and feed for a deep cleaning?

Once it gets started it write with no problems until I put it away again. I'm using #41 brown, and I haven't really done any cleaning aside from the initial flushing and flushing between different inks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Meldonox posted:

2. I saw Noodler mentioned a bunch and noticed that he has some weird poo poo on some of his bottles, eg Rome Burning. He's, uh, kind of a character, huh?
Um have you ever watched any of his videos? The videos on the bernanke inks come to mind, but I haven't watched any of his stuff in a while

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Inksplosion. I made blue splatters all the way across my desk, on my monitor, and finally up the wall. :downs:

The one thing I hate about fountain pens...Pen spinning is a dangerous thing

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a current production pen that writes similar to an esterbrook 9550 (posting nib)? I like the super-fine line it makes while also being smooth and relatively dry. The closest I've tried are pilot pens, but they seem a bit wider and lay down a lot more ink in my experience. I'd use the esterbrook more, but I think the pen body is too short and lever filling is kind of a hassle.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

blowfish posted:

Platinum 3776 with UEF nib? It's literally a needle point that you could stab your finger with.

Thanks, I'll try to pick one of those up in the near future

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

Speaking of flying I'll be taking a pen with me on a flight next week. I've flown with pens before but not one with a cartridge in it. Read up a little and my first instinct of taking the cartridge out was apparently incorrect -- well, taking it out and trying to transport said open cartridge. I'd be fine if I tossed it and just flew with an empty pen but I hate to waste it. I'll probably fly out with an empty pen but will gamble with leaving the cartridge installed and the pen upright on the way home so here's hoping I don't end up with a purse full of ink. I'll put my pen in a ziploc just in case anyway. Still seems like the cartridges will be more convenient and easier to deal with vs having to carry ink vials and refill a converter all the time because it barely holds anything.

Just clean off the pen between each flight. Usually, only a small amount of ink comes out in flight, and the cap will generally hold all of it until you can wipe it off.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Thelonious Monk posted:

Effectively the same as putting them in a Ziploc bag. Or any airtight container really.

Unless you're inflating your ziplocs before you pack them, it's not really the same

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Thelonious Monk posted:

This probably makes me sound super ignorant, but why not? As long as you don't squeeze the air out of the bags before sealing it should be similar right?

The reason a water/soda bottle works is that they're designed to be able to hold their contents at a higher pressure than the environment. If you put a pen into the bottle and cap it, when you go up, the air inside will stay at a relatively constant pressure so there shouldn't be any ink being pushed out due to the air in the cartridge/converter expanding. If you use a ziploc bag that isn't full of air, the air will still expand as the bag still has room left to inflate, but if you do inflate it, you waste a ton of space as well as risk the seal popping. Even if the seal doesn't fail, the plastic in the bag is more prone to stretching, so it'd be strictly less effective

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If you're really worried about bleedthrough, the safari tends to write drier than the metro for the same nib sizes

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

terre packet posted:

I'm a complete newbie and am going to purchase a Pilot Metro (Fine Nib) for use at work, mostly note-taking. Is there a recommended black ink that's a good daily workhorse?

That's all I need to get started right? A Metro and some ink?

Just about any of the noodlers "bulletproof" black inks work fine. Regular noodlers black and heart of darkness are popular. I personally use x-feather, but really they're all fine.

I don't remember if the metro comes with a converter, but if it doesn't you'll need either a converter (and) or a blunt-tipped syringe to fill the cartridge it comes with

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe the J Herbin Anniversary red? It's red...and it has gold in it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

I love my TWSBIs, there's no way you're going to get a good piston or vacumatic in the 50ish price range. The only times I've ever had cracking issues was when I kept my pens in my pocket, other than that I use a 540 and a 700 every day, and I just added a 580AL to the mix.

In other news, my wife bought me a vintage Schaeffer Touchdown Imperial in black with a 14k gold nib for Christmas. She's awesome!

The only time I've had a "broken" pen is when some guy pulled on my twsbi cap until it broke because he somehow didn't realize it was twist-off. He bought me twsbi mini to replace it even though I said I could get a replacement cap for free :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

How does the Lamy 2000 (and other vanishing point pens) keep ink from coming out the end when the nib is retracted? Are they safe enough to carry in your shirt pocket? Upside down or nib-up only?

For the VP, the clip is such that it's carried tip up, and there's a little trap door that the nib is behind which also helps keep it from drying out.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I met an old guy on the train today and noticed he was writing in a fairly nice notebook with a cheap Bic pen.

A cheap Bic fountain pen. I said something, he said it was like $2 and passed me the pen and notebook to try it out.

It writes beautifully. My new friend* gave me the pen and I love it. The nib just sails over the page, and it doesn't even bleed except on the cheapest paper, and even then if I write fast enough it's just a bolder line.

So if any of you have friends you want to convert, or just want a travel pen you don't want to worry about, I recommend these. They come in packs of 1, 2, 3, and probably 10.

Any opinion on those vs varsities?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus, a 1.5 million dollar project to preserve a tree. Is that pole made out of solid gold or something? Or maybe it's made out its own branches :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Slimchandi posted:

Do folks here use lots of different brands of ink? I have just stuck to Diamine so far as they are cheap in the UK and more shades than I would ever need. The 30ml bottles are a nice way to try lots, and for £2-3 each you can't go wrong. How much difference could there be to warrant a 10x more expensive bottle of Caran D'ache or Iroshizuku?

Really depends if you like the color and/or behavior of the more expensive brands. Like I really like kon-peki, and at the time I bought it, there wasn't really a blue that was quite the same, and iro is generally really well behaved. Otherwise, just about all of my other inks are noodlers because :patriot: and :tinfoil:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I got more writing out of a fountain pen than a ballpoint strictly because I don't lose my fountain pens :haw:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:goonsay: it's jumps

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Private reserve definitely had that reputation when I started getting into pens like 10 years ago.

Oh God that was already 10 years ago

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

grack posted:

I'm up to ~265

how many of those are deltas :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010