Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sigma-X posted:

You need to understand that you did not get the job because you were not good enough. The effort you put in and the results you got were not good enough to keep the job. You will need to do better at the next job you land, and to do that, you need to recognize that as a fact, internalize it, and take steps to improve.

Also on this tangent, you'll have to really bust rear end if you get hired as a line cook and tell them you worked at the last place for six months in the same capacity. Pretty much any employer will expect someone claiming that level of experience to be able to hit the ground running on day one with little or no OTJT.

e: in other words don't make poo poo up on your resume that you can't actually do.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

all the insurance booths I could find

I wouldn't expect much out of the "if you can qualify for a state insurance certification you're hired! because our entire business model is based around commissioned sales and we don't have to pay you anything unless you sell."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Masonity posted:

Applying for 30 different jobs through standard online application forms shouldn't be taking 4 and a half hours. The bulk of each application could be written out once, saved to a text file and copy and pasted across to all the others.

Eh, I just came off of 6 months of unemployment in February. 10 minutes per application (where you're actually filling out fields on a website and not just sending in your resume via careerbuilder/monster/etc.) isn't that egregious, especially when you run into "please paste your CV/resume in this field. Now in the next 5 - 10 pages please fill in individual details about your resume in all of these other fields, even though you already provided it on the first page" (gently caress you, Taleo :argh:)

Geoj fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 24, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Aerofallosov posted:

I've even seen job forms asking for usernames or even passwords to facebook accounts, etc.

Unless you're talking about a position requiring a security clearance this is the point where I'd close the browser session or tear up the application. What's next - "employment contingent upon HR being given unfettered access to your place of residence for a 24 hour period"?

Also this kind of stuff isn't really illegal if you consent to it, and I'm sure there's a consent clause somewhere in the application before you sign and date the last page.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Angela Christine posted:

The obvious solution is right from high school have 2 facebook accounts. One using a nickname for your disreputable friends, and one with your legal name for your relatives, coworkers, and other boring people. That way you'll never accidentally tell grandma about how you got totally wasted, and you'll have a "clean" account to show potential employers.

Or just walk the gently caress away when a prospective employer wants to know every last intimate detail of your personal life. If they want the username and password to your social media accounts as part of the pre-hiring process its highly likely they'll just treat you like a doormat for the entire time you're with the company.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

Now before you start with the :downs: jokes, I'd just like to point out that even while pushing the limit (six at a time), it's very difficult to maneuver through a parking lot.

:confused:

I was a cart monkey at a grocery store in high school (late 90s/early 2000s, before the electric cart pushers were a thing) and we would routinely maneuver trains of 20-30 carts single-handed without a problem, and the breezeway the carts were stored in required a 90 degree turn. Unless the carts are unusually large or the parking lot is set up like a maze a child should be able to push & maneuver 6 carts without a problem...

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've never seen a cart that even reaches the rearview mirror, much less anything above that. How is that even possible?

Yeah, kind of threw me for a loop too, unless he was incredibly unlucky and pushed a cart into something that's really low to the ground like a Corvette. The worst incident I ever had was some idiot stopping her van right in front of a string of carts I was pushing. Fun fact: shopping carts don't have brakes!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Hell, it's pretty common today to not get anything to show for going above and beyond at a decent paying job. No doubt your manager will love the extra effort you show, but at the same time don't work your fingers to the bone expecting anything more than the corporate standard $.20/hour annual raise and a kind word here or there. They have no reason to give a cart wrangler a big raise for extra effort when all they give a poo poo about is paying someone as little as possible to do the job well enough that customers aren't waiting for carts.

e: Its probably not outside of the realm of possibility to stick it out and work your way up the ranks, but you'd be in for a long, low-paying slog of 10+ years before you'd be making any real money. A guy I went to highschool with has been working at Target since he was 16 and was recently promoted to the position of 3rd shift pharmacy manager - after working there for 14 years.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 5, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Khisareth posted:

In a year I had 54 unique shifts.

How is this even possible? Does Target run some kind of hosed up "1 week = 6.76 days" schedule that results in being able to squeeze 54 weeks into a year with 52?

Khisareth posted:

So it can be a pain to schedule anything, much less a second job.

It's almost like retail chains do this deliberately to keep their wage slaves from working two jobs :iiam:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

I'll just call in with a massive hangover to cover my tracks at work.

Don't do this. Call in with something nondescript that can't be blamed on your actions, like a migraine or stomach flu. Saying you can't make it in because you're massively hung over also says "I irresponsibly over drink the night before I'm scheduled to work."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

natetimm posted:

Benny seems like he needs a drill instructor more than a therapist.

This would go over well...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm not going to rip the guy for wanting to have his resume professionally typed up, but at the same time shelling out a few hundred dollars - a sizeable percentage of his monthly income - just because he got turned down after 1 interview is moving into :psyduck: territory. Being turned down on your first serious interview is hardly an indication that your resume/CV is bad. I would be more worried if you were spamming it to a large number of positions that you're imminently qualified for and only hearing back from a handful for interviews. Your resume/CV gets your foot in the door, its up to you to nail the interview and get the job, and in the current job market its extremely unlikely that you'll get hired for the first "real" job you apply to unless you have someone on the inside pulling strings.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

WampaLord posted:

You may have heard of a dude named Gandhi.

I think there was an implied "in recent memory" in that question. The sure as hell hasn't been a successful major nonviolent protest movement in the United States since the Civil Rights era. Thanks to constant erosion of constitutional rights the government can pretty much shut down any protest movement by requiring permits and refusing to issue them, arbitrarily establishing "free speech zones" that conveniently keep protesters on some weed-choked vacant lot on the outskirts of town and out of sight/mind, or simply cracking down on the protests with brute police force without justification when everything else fails - because most of the population couldn't care less and the rest are of the opinion that the police should be able to shoot protesters unless they're wearing tri-corner hats and pining for the days of being able to own people.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I was about to say that when I was in high school my friend's dad's friend was a general contractor and he routinely hired my friend and I to work under the table doing post-construction cleanup, demo and other odd jobs that you'd trust a teenager with on a jobsite...but then I remembered that I also pushed shopping carts when I was in high school and benny has already proven that he has a tenuous (at best) grasp on his ability to do that job as well. I'm going to join in on the "don't do it" sentiment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jizznastics posted:

Benny since you seem to refuse to egnolige my proposal, maybe you should think about join the services. They will get you in shape with boot Camp and you will get a pention if I am not mistaken.

We went over this a few pages ago -

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also working against recent graduates are people with degrees and years of experience in their field are willing to work for entry-level wages in the post-recession economy. Why would you take a risk on a recent graduate when you can get someone who both has a degree and a proven track record willing to work for peanuts?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dr. Lariat posted:

drat good cashiers don't get fired in the first month but whatever dude, shine on you crazy diamond.

To be fair wasn't he fired for hitting a car while pushing carts and not because of some shortcoming as a cashier?

Although that's pretty close to splitting hairs - generally if you're let go at a company for any reason other than hours being cut that bridge is permanently burned. If they thought he was a fuckup as a cart pusher but had a promising career as a cashier they would have just moved him off of cart duty.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 27, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

The guy found my resume off of Monster so I'm going to assume that it's an office job.

In my experience 9 times out of 10 unsolicited interviews/job offers resulting from someone trawling for resumes on monster/careerbuilder (etc.) aren't going to be anything you're interested in. I would go into the interview expecting it to be for some kind of manual labor position.

e: and the other 1 time its something you'd actually want to do, but the pay offered is offensively low.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 1, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I sent out 30-40 resumes over a month or so and didn't get a single interview with my college degree. My husband has an MA and has sent out dozens of resumes and has had the same luck. Yes, it can be that hard to get a job, depending on where you are.

Pretty much this, I was sending out resumes to targeted positions with 10+ years of pertinent experience and had a callback/interview rate of maybe 15% when I was unemployed between August 2012 and this past January. Benny may be a fuckup in several areas but not getting interviews/hired in the current job market is a universal problem.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

AcidRonin posted:

I was about to say, i'm not trying to be an rear end to all of you but i graduated and was tripping over jobs, and i was by no means the best student.

Clearly your situation is common and all of the news over the past five years about how difficult it is to find a job right now is a bunch of scaremongering from the media trying to drive their numbers up, right?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Even though employers technically can say whatever they want when they get a reference check, most don't because of the legal quagmire that can ensue if it can be proven you didn't get the job because of something they said. Most companies today have a policy of just confirming dates of employment.

So basically, either leave it off your resume entirely, or else claim that you had a family emergency and couldn't get time off and you had to quit against your wishes (do the former, nobody is going to give two fucks about your experience with two months as a cart wrangler.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

natetimm posted:

Anyway, if this guy can do that, there is a job either counting screws or sweeping floors or something Benny would be qualified for.

The problem is the guy you work with has a bunch of behavioral problems outside of the scope of his actual job. I'm sure he can find the correct tool and hand it to someone just fine, his problem is all of the other bullshit he does outside of that. If benny got a job sweeping floors or counting screws he'd either over-analyze the position and question everything his supervisor or experienced coworker told him to do on the first day (and get fired) or else would cause property damage and/or personal injury to someone and lie about it (and get fired.)

Basically, yes, its possible to skate by and fail upwards with government work, but if his previous job experience is anything to go by I don't think he's even capable of skating by.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cname posted:

I don't think that's realistic, unless you're shooting for sheer numbers and spamming out your cover letter/resume to every URL you come across on job search sites. I highly doubt that anyone would ever submit 20 applications/cover letters/resumes in a day, let alone less than a day.

If you just spammed your resume to every job listing on a website like careerbuilder you could probably do 20/day without trying - but you'd be applying to jobs that you're utterly unqualified for. When I was unemployed in 2012 I averaged about 6/week, but that was targeted applications to positions I was actually qualified for.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lolie posted:

You can't submit twenty quality, position-specific applications per day.

Unless you're tweaking your resume for each individual position - and there's enough of a difference between all of them that you'd have to make significant changes for all of them - an unemployed person shouldn't have much trouble applying to 20 positions a day. I'd say the bigger issue would be finding 20 open jobs daily that you're actually qualified for.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
TBH if he hasn't been able to secure and maintain employment in a year why would anyone believe he could do so in a three week deadline?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

I asked the adviser who taught the workshop an important question. I asked him if I should or should not re-apply at target after being terminated. He explained since Target is a large corporation with multiple locations, it wouldn't hurt to apply at a different location. I already re-applied at a different Target so now I feel a little better about my decision.

Surely there was a "have you ever worked at a Target location in the past? If so please provide store location, employment dates and reason for leaving" line in the application, how did you answer it?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

Edit: The big issue is should I consider myself persona non grata towards Target.

Yes, its highly unlikely that they'll ever consider someone who was fired/terminated, and any location is undoubtedly going to run anyone's name through their database during the hiring process.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Blitter posted:

Seemed perfectly clear to me; a loving fraction is effort? Would him describing it a one quarter have helped you enter it into a calculator and yield the correct answer of 5? Should he have described it as 25% instead?

It seems absurdly nit-picky to me, unless he's writing this for grade school children.

The running punchline here is he claims to be an English major yet routinely makes atrocious grammatical errors.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ursine Asylum posted:

The depressing thing is that it's February, and somehow Benny managed to not get a job during the pre-Christmas season that's prime hiring time for temp retail jobs. I'm still in awe about that.

Only depressing if you really think Benny was searching for employment over the holiday season. I get the impression that his batch of 20 applications is a recent development and there was little or no job hunting going on during the last half of 2013.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sunshine89 posted:

Seriously, one of the better overnight stock dudes I worked with was functionally illiterate.

A friend of mine does accounting for his father's business, an interior trim/door/window wholesaler. Their warehouse guy/delivery driver is functionally illiterate; among his highlights are routinely not being able to spell his own name and having to call a salesman for clarification on instructions to "leave this stuff behind the fence" (when he called, he pronounced fence "fenky" and wanted to know what a "fenky" was.) In addition he is a convicted felon.

Despite these challenges this man has been able to hold down a full time job that pays about $16/hour for at least the last 6 or 7 years.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OrganizedInsanity posted:

This is Benny, who called the cops on his mom for comic book crimes and thought calling in drunk was a great excuse to get off work. You're illiterate guy is a person who probably doesn't want to end up homeless or in jail.... in other words he has drive. The only drive Benny has is halfheartedly trying to get pity laid.

I get that, but if a middle school dropout who cannot reliably spell his own name and has difficulty reading at a third grade level and has a felony conviction on his record can obtain and hold down a full time job for the better part of a decade, someone who (allegedly) has a four-year degree should as well.

TBH I'm firmly back in the "Benny the Snake is an elaborate troll" camp.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

docbeard posted:

He clearly should have gotten the nonexistent job in May at the theater RIGHT NOW WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT RIGHT NOW WHY HAVEN'T YOU INVENTED TIME TRAVEL SO YOU CAN DO IT YESTERDAY BENNY

And then once he gets the job "BENNY YOU HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE AND ARE GETTING PAID FAR LESS THAN I THINK A COLLEGE GRADUATE SHOULD BE PAID YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST REMAINED UNEMPLOYED AND WAITED FOR SOMETHING BETTER."

I mean, I'm still not convinced that Benny isn't a massive, elaborate troll but jesus gently caress E/N is impossible to please.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Quantum Finger posted:

Benny have you tried getting addicted to crack and becoming homeless? I think this could solve a lot of your problems.

Coming soon to Benny's resume:

Door to door magazine salesman!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
30 replies to Benny's thread - surely he got a job offer at Sears and everyone is congratulating him, right?

:ughh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

That drat Satyr posted:

I still eagerly await the day that we get a mod challenge out of this year long clusterfuck. :smith:

Wouldn't Benny failing the challenge and getting probated/banned be a foregone conclusion?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

buteruc posted:

Maybe he has a full-time job.

More likely: he's been a troll this whole time and finally got sick of it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

crabrock posted:

If he was serious about wanting to be a writer, he'd offer to give somebody else a crit in exchange. But that'd take initiative... so instead he just asks for a handout.

He'd probably tweak the other person's story slightly and try to pass it off as his own, then badly deny it, then say that he's a (bad) compulsive liar and can't help himself.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Let's take a second to congratulate an adult for getting hired to a no experience necessary job after essentially a lifetime of unemployment.

Yea, loving great Benny, maybe you'll keep this one longer than a week.

Oh cool are we at the part of the thread where everyone dogpiles Benny for having a job but not the right job?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's a mechanical turk job. I wonder how much it pays.

Benny the Snake posted:

Pay is minimum wage and the hours are Monday-Friday, six hours a day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

I know anyone can sale anything on EBay

Ladies and gentlemen, once again for your reading pleasure - English major Benny the Snake :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Needs more third grade level spelling and grammatical errors :colbert:

• Locked thread