Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hip Flask posted:

Ethiopia and Eritrea are both majority christian orthodox, as far as I know.

Ethiopia has been christian for longer than most of Europe. So despite what Bob Geldof might think they're perfectly aware of whether it's christmas or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If it used to belong to Mexico it's in the American Southwest.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No self respecting tengrist would be caught dead farming. You gotta move around, drive your herd to better pastures and maybe forge an world spanning empire or two if you get bored.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

System Metternich posted:

Iceland?

(No, I don't know why someone decided to create this map and upload it to Wikipedia, it can't even be found in any article)

Approximately 20% of Iceland's original settlers were Gaelic. Most of them slaves and concubines either kidnapped in raids on the way over from Norway or bought at the slave markets at Dublin or another of the Norse settlements in Ireland.

So that's some connection.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Didn't Romans sometimes give unrelated and geographically distant tribes the same name because one reminded them of the other?

Related:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 31, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard the French let the ETA operate freely in France since they primarily used their bases in France as a safe-haven when things got heated and would very seldom actually do any terroristing in France itself as not to risk bringing unneeded attention to their hideouts. The French knew this and did therefore not take any action against the ETA since it wasn't really their problem what they did in Spain and it was best not to rock the boat. That is to say until the Spanish convinced them to help and a lot of ETA members were arrested in France.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Dutch are degenerate dope smoking swamp Germans.

Danes are field Germans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Christ people, a swamp is a wetland with trees. The Dutch clearly aren't swamp Germans.

Doesn't include Slesvig; a reasonable proposal.

Fine "Bog Krauts" if you want to get all politically correct.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was in Stockholm a few months ago I went to the national museum and in the section about Sweden's golden age they very heavily emphasised that all this immense wealth was a direct result of them oppressing and exploiting Saami and Africans and therefore not really something to be proud of.

It was very Swedish of them.

Even more Swedishly there were a bunch of blurbs on the walls with thoughts from LGTB people on history.

It was rad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danir hafa vitanlega forþýskast heil ósköp og eru í raun ekkert annað en Þjóðverjar í afneitun líkt og Austuríkismenn og Hollendingar. En Kaupmannahöfn er þó skemmtilega gegnsætt orð. Höfn þar sem kaupmenn starfa. Annars er Danmörk alveg allt í lagi ef manni líkar við reiðhjól, repjuakra og rauð múrsteinahús.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do all the Belgians hate their cities so much (apart from being full of Belgians)?

Cities have more people in them. People have hands and Belgians, being bloodthirsty monsters that are only vaguely human shaped by pure coincidence, all hate hands with a fiery passion and wish to chop them off and it offends them that so many hands can exist in one place.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Since when are hospitals not governmental structures?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 18, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baka-nin posted:

Internal toll roads lasted until 1843 in rural Wales, they mainly plagued farmers and travellers. They were abolished after mobs of locals seized the toll houses burnt the books that named those who refused to pay and smashed up the gates. This was event was called the Rebecca riots after a biblical allusion, but mainly because the locals would dress up in women's clothing to disguise themselves while smashing up the barriers.

"Can I borrow one of your dresses, love? I need to go smash up the tollhouse and burn their records. I promise not to stretch it too much and I'll be really careful not to get any blood or soot on it.."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

John Bull is the anthropomorphic personification of the British empire. A bit like Uncle Sam but fatter and a bit of bumpkin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Turks are very Greek and Greeks are quite Turkish.

The Turkic people that conquered Anatolia back in the day were probably vastly outnumbered by the Greeks living there already. Which is why Turkish Turks look a lot more Greek and less Asian than most of the other Turkic nations that never left Central Asia.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 25, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The man who "discovered" America. Son of Eirik the Red who "discovered" Greenland.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

uuhhh Finns are, as everyone knows, basically Mongols, Mongols are Altaic which means they are practically Turks.

or something

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Germany should be divided again.

Like this:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They hate themselves very much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Golbez posted:

Members of the EU: Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, plus everything mentioned so far

Non members: French Guiana

Norway and Iceland are EFTA members which is basically being in the EU except you don't get to vote on anything and only get some of the benefits.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fishmech posted:

Well, which one is it?

Why is one of the categories just called protestant while all the other flavours of Protestantism have their own category?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fishmech posted:

Clearly only the Northern Conservative Baptists of the Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 Agreement are real Christians.

Death to Northern Conservative Baptists of the Great Lakes Region Council of 1879!

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 is the light

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can't imagine any place in France having anything even resembling bad weather.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I live in one of those dark blue places. Anywhere where you see the sun at all when it isn't summer is basically a tropical paradise to me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

chairface posted:

Iceland's lost wars vs. "a boat" on more than one occasion.

Iceland won the war against the boat.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 6, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Peanut President posted:

Europe minus most of england

Everyone in Europe hates the French for being arrogant imperialist assholes that won't learn any other language but their own.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

France is basically the America of Europe. They even lost in Vietnam and have a long history of playing world police. Also they think they're exceptional and unique while having a lot less to back it up than the USA.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SaltyJesus posted:

eh, it's more complicated than that but they aren't the rightful heirs of Alexander the Great or whatever

Basically everyone from the Balkans to Afghanistan is the heirs of Alexander if you think about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grevling posted:

We're completely different from them in almost every single way.

Lol if you don't nip down to the British isles to burn, pillage, and cleave some Vestmenn in twain every now and then.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grevling posted:

You'd think so, but it's more likely a bunch of modern northern europeans trying to invade or plunder anything would just be awkward for everybody involved imo.

You could probably plunder a village or two in the Faroe Islands or even the tiny isolated bits of the British isles with a handful of armed men. You would never get away with it because viking raids are a lot less common these days so it would get a lot of attention from law enforcement.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you've already got submarine money then you don't really need to do any raids unless you're just doing it for fun.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Bog Mongols" is the preferred nomenclature.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lllywcclymwcccllycwyyl

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Norwegians have no hands.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

True.

The only thing I really use my penis for is opening doors, sorting small change, and stamping wax seals.

Can't get too dirty from that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I avoid autoimmune disorders by eating every third meal directly off the floor of a dive bar bathroom using used syringes as chopsticks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how well it outlines wastelands in Greenland, Iceland, Scandinavia and Australia.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 3, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The interior of Iceland is nothing but mountains and barren wastelands. There aren't many streets to view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kópavogur, along with Garðabær, Mosfellsbær, and Hafnarfjörður, is basically just a suburb of Reykjavík. It's basically a bunch of towns that have all grown into each other so now the borders between them are a bit vague. A bit like LA except tiny.

and the reason basically everyone lives in that corner of the country