Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
They better make one cause my balls are twitching at the prospect of remote lights and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Im having problems getting replaygain to work on XBMC. It works fine in other players but not in Frodo.
Everything is ticked and the files have all been scanned but no joy.

Any help?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Any UK goons using the PVR setup with Freesat? Im thinking of trying it as the freesat box I have is a pile of poo poo.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

DashingGentleman posted:

I have basically given up on XBMC even for local playback. Sync content to ipad, browse movies on phone then beam them seamlessly to the TV, pick up where I left off on my laptop - Plex has become a pretty slick experience. The web-based metadata editor is convenient, the synchronisation and streaming work great. The ridiculous customisability and niche features of XBMC are a small price to pay.

I do this on XBMC using Yatse remote for Android. Easy to set up.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

speedtek posted:

My XBMC has suddenly started locking up whenever I go to the Video Addons screen. It just comes up blank. I noticed this after my Android XMBC remote stopped beaming YouTube videos to my HTPC. Whenever I click "Play on XBMC" it takes me to the XBMC Remote app and just shows a blank screen instead of the usual "Play on XBMC?" confirmation.

I tried the above YouTube plugin fix to see if that had anything to do with it and it didn't fix the problem. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the remote app on my phone and also reinstalled the YouTube app in XBMC. Google is failing me. Any suggestions?

Try Yatse? (If your not already using that) Best Android remote by far that Ive used. I even bought the pro licence for it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone else having issues with music tags in Gotham? Just gone with beta 4 and it's lumping random music together in new albums. I've made sure it's all tagged correctly but it still does it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Bigsteve posted:

Anyone else having issues with music tags in Gotham? Just gone with beta 4 and it's lumping random music together in new albums. I've made sure it's all tagged correctly but it still does it.

Seems that currently in Gotham it reads multiple tags and figures it out it based on that, if you only have certain tags it will put them together. Also had the issue where if you have no tags at all it will not even play the files. Seems that they went strict with it in Gothan compared to all previous versions.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Spekkio posted:

I've got XBMC on Windows hooked up to a Yamaha receiver through HDMI, which then goes to a Sony TV.

My problem is Windows will show the Sony TV as the only connected audio device, rather than the receiver. This causes problems when I turn the TV off.

When the TV is off, Windows correctly shows the receiver as the sound device, but it disappears when the TV comes back on.

How do I get the receiver to show in Windows and not the TV?

What are you actually trying to achieve? Im using a similar setup with the same thing but everything still works. You should still be getting your sound from your amp.
Im guessing you are wanting to use your amp for music without your TV on?

Mine is set to HDMI ausio out and the TV is set in screen properties. I will check when I get home but pretty sure a TV shows up in all the windows sound choices.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Just works on mine but my amp is nearly 10 years old now. It only has hdmi hdmi 1.1.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

StorrowS posted:

Is there anyway to disable the "Shutdown Menu"?

I have a script set up as a Scheduled Task to restart XBMC every night, but the method it uses to shutdown XBMC (Effectively pressing Alt-F4) causes XBMC to pop-up a Shutdown Menu with options to close XBMC, Restart PC, etc...

I'd like to remove this menu and just have XBMC shutdown when it recieves the Window Close signal.

FWIW I'm using the old Aeon Nox skin with the newest official build of XBMC.

You can set it up in the keymaps for a proper shutdown that works with one keypress and doesn't open the menu. http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/356-xbmc-mapping-a-shutdown-key/
Works fine for me with no hangups.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Whats teh current go to android box for running XBMC? Been looking at the Amazon fire but dont like how you have to run XBMC through the settings menu.

Also is playback smooth? Currntly running it on an HTPC and want everything to be identical really.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Gozinbulx posted:

With Finless 1.8 ROM for the M8 box, you can set the refresh rate to 24z.

Are the M8's pretty good? Looking for a simple solution for someone to use XBMC and these are looking good.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
gently caress. The iPlayer add-on just stopped. I knew the BBC were changing how it works but figured it would be OK. Suppose I will have to wait till its fixed.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Just ordered an M8 Android box to try. Any tips for starting out? It says its rooted and set up with XBMC already but firgure I will need to mess around with it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
H265 support is in Kodi 14.0 there is however very little hardware support so you need a powerful CPU at the moment.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
My OTT M8 just arrives and I'm pretty impressed. Works with all my HD stuff over the Ethernet.

Only problem is that it came with XBMC beta so I upgraded and now video doesn't work. The sound of the movie works fine but no picture. Am I doing something dumb?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Gozinbulx posted:

Go in and make sure mediaencode is off and libstage fright is on in advanced video settings for hardware acceleration.

That works but is actually turning off hardware acceleration. 720p works fine but 1080p chokes. You need either a prepatched xbmc or to change the permissions with ghost commander.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Gozinbulx posted:

I guess the special xbmc that comes with finless 1.8 really is necessary. I believe its by Oman. Search Oman xbmc amlogic

Gonna put finless on in the morning. Seems its to do with permissions in the stock install of xbmc. You can go into the dev folder and change them but its better to do the finless route as it sorts lots of issues. The M8 itself is great.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

visuvius posted:

Goz can you possibly link me to the M8 box you would recommend right now? The PC I'm using for XBMC is drawing way too much power and I'd like to switch over to a small android box finally.

Is it this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/M8-Amlogic-...s=m8+android+tv

There are like two or three others on Amazon.

Pretty much this. Works fine, no issues with mine. Im giving mone away as an xmas present so as long as it works smooth for them I may swap my PC out as a file server and get another one.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is there an addon that will let me play music as stereo? I just want music out of left and right channels not the full 5.1 but dont want movies or TV affected.
Tried the settings but any rips with MP3 rips are affected too.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is Kodi supposed to upgrade from your XBMC library? Cause I upgraded from Gotham at the weekend and it loving didnt. God its a ballache.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anybody got any tips for correct 24fps playback? Running on an nvidia card on wi does and am struggling to get everything playing right. If HD stuff plays correctly then SD stuff has audio lag.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I use a Harmony Ultra with a $10 cyberlink DVD remote and eventghost to control my install. For quicker keyboard entry I also have a Logitech k400 keyboard touch pad that work brilliantly.
You can use YouTube fine in kodi but if im having a YouTube session that I will use my android tablet to send the videos to Kodi.

Like others have said, main issue is the streaming of Netflix and so on. Would be nice if it could be sorted out as it should be in the streaming providers interest. I can use Iplayer in the UK which is great.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Probably picking up a shield TV today. Anyone using it with a harmony remote? If so how's it work?

Would love to be able to set it up to boot into Netflix and kodi separately using activities but that might need some fiddling.

Edit: looking into it I can just launch android apps from inside kodi so it just really remote functionality that's a concern. Should be easy enough to do.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 26, 2015

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Would depend on if your storing things on it. I will be running on a network so for extra memory for apps I will stick an SD card in.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Seems the kodi team are supporting the shield. It has full hardware decoding at 10bit for stuff like hevc. It handles 4k and all the refrsh rates you can throw at it as from the latest updates. I can't imagine the nexus player beating it on anything but price. For me it will be totally replacing my htpc which I will just use as a server.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

EC posted:

I'm considering junking my Win7 box and jumping ship to something simpler (?) like a Nvidia Shield. Couple of quick questions:

- Anyone know if it supports Lightpak?
- I'm used to using EventGhost to program buttons on my remote, which is a Harmony-like thing. How would that work on the new box?
- I think I have my sources setup via mapped drives, will this gently caress me up trying to import/export my library?
- What's the point of the 500gb version? All of my media will be stored on a server, so nothing would be local. If I start filling up the 16gb with apps/games, does it support external HDDs?
- Does it have other streaming stuff like Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon, etc?

Don't know
Figuring that out myself
Probably
Uses external drives and has micro SD slot. Just put a big one in.
Netflix is preinstalled. Amazon is not on yet (ever?) Don't know about HBO but others on the play store are there.

Not much help I know but I'm still figuring it out. Does anyone know of an android app that can be used to receive it remote info? My harmony works great but I could use the ability to add a couple of extra buttons such as information in kodi. You can buy a flirc but surely there is an app like flirc?

Just to be clear. I'm looking for something like eventghost. It will read signals from the IR reciever and that pass it to kodi. I then assign the letter I to my harmony info button. Other than that the remote does all I need.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 2, 2015

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Been fiddleng and the only uttons on my harmony that don't do want I want is channel uo and down and info. The up and downs work as up and down and info makes a down command.

If I could read the codes I could see if each command was different and then use keymap to change one to info and I'm happy.

Edit:Harmony is showing that there are numeric buttons assigned. I'm going to edit the keymap and change I for 9 then assign the shield 9 to the harmony info button. All being well that will do what I want.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Horn posted:

If you really care about youtube get a chromecast. The XBMC / Kodi addon has broken before so even if the dev comes back there's no guarantee it'll work forever.

Also your answer is probably in the post: upgrade kodi and the addon to the version outlined in that link.

This. Chromecast is built into my shield and I don't know how I lived without it. YouTube in Kodi is poor.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I could never get YouTube in Kodi to play at anything more than 720p. I. An cast it now and get 4k 60fps. Works the same as yatse.

Would be great if YouTube worked perfectly in kodi as you can search for music vids and so on.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

EC posted:

ShieldTV updated to 3.0 today. Finally let me set RGB Full and get blacks that aren't just gray.

This is the best.

Anyone running a shield and external drive? There are apparently reports of strangeness with kodi and update 3.0.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
This.

When windows loses the HDMI signal it reverts to a default 720p standard. I connected to my pc using tea! Viewer on my tablet while the TV was off. I then changed it to 1080p.using display settings. Now when I turn my TV off windows stays on 1080p.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 27, 2016

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
It changes resolutions when you turn your TV off. If you have a separate sound source you will hear the sound effect for a USB being disconnected. Kodi has been set to scale the ui for 4k TV so it's getting confused.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/37m0kr/question_how_can_i_stop_kodi_from_scaling_wrong/

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

LmaoTheKid posted:

So to get x265 decoding from my new 950 is there anything special I need to do with Kodi?

I really don't want to mess with the madvr player or whatever it's called.

Should just work. The 950 has hevc decoding built in. I have some hevc stuff on my shield and it plays great. PC kodi supports hardware decoding in windows I believe.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

venutolo posted:

Great. Thanks.

And it works fine. No issues on my shield.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
What does kodi really need extra? Android does need the proper pass through and some other fixes but is there really much else to add?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
It should convert it if you want in Jarvis. Would just send it out as PCM streams.

Been trying SPMC on my shield. It's definitely a work in process. Pass through of DTSHD does work but for some!e reason SPMC will only output at 48khz. (Yes I know you can't tell any difference above 20khz).

Native player plays files up to 192khz just fine. Don't know if this is something he is working on or what.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 25, 2016

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

g0del posted:

* Specifically, when the video has a framerate that is very close but not exactly the same as your display's refresh rate, which is super common with movies at 23.997hz and monitors that do 24hz. If you're doing passthrough, Kodi can't change the audio at all, and so will have to duplicate or remove a frame every minute or so to keep the video synced with the audio. When you let Kodi decode, it can adjust the audio instead, leading to smoother playback.

Counter argument being is it better for kodi to change the sound or the video? A lot of this depends on if you are adjusting the display to the frame rate of the movie. If your not doing that then you are getting duplicate frames added anyway. I'm not entirely sure kodi is just passing through the sound anyway. It has limitations on bitrates that are not there on the native player so I still think is doing something.

I could argue that my $500 home cinema amp is better suited to decode than my Shield TV but in all honesty there is probably very little difference and its not likely I could tell the difference.

On the Netflix issue I've just tried mine and it outputs Dolby Digital plus with a 5.1 signal. Had a look at the options ant can't see anything to change that would affect it so don't know why your not getting it. Only thing even slightly sound related is the USB sound option has a 5.1 option but don't even know what the hell that's for. You are using the Netflix app on the shield hub?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

g0del posted:

Ok, more clarification. winzip, winrar, or 7zip. Either way, you're getting the exact same files out of the zip file.

But if I do that the DTS light on my amp won't come on. /endsarcasm

Point taken. Main issue is that with kodi on the Shield the match display rate has been removed. This is because apparently android won't do it. It's there on SPMC but no clue if it works. I will watch some stuff later and see if it's adding frames.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

TomR posted:

Good to know. It'd be nice if there was a rundown of features that was kept up to date somewhere.

Edit: I also love my NUC. I run Windows 10 for Netflix and emulators and stuff. It may be overkill but I'd rather have that then put up with slowdowns. It's only been quite recent that Android boxes have caught up to the performance of a weak Windows machine. I've seen a lot of people buy 2 or 3 Android boxes since I've got my NUC and it's not anywhere near the end of it's useful life yet.

http://kodi.wiki/view/NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV

Shield is the way to go when it comes to android. Hopefully the devs can sort out the current disagreements they are having.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 30, 2016