Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Install Gentoo posted:

They do that because the scam projects are likely to be linking or directing people to other scams by the same people. It actually makes sense in order to try to avoid directing people to be scammed further.

They could do the same thing by owning it, retheming the page and content to make it clear that it is a known scam. However it's a lot easier just to sweep it under the rug, walk away and let the press handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

zandert33 posted:

Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/emperors-new-clothes?ref=category

I personally think it's a great concept as an artistic expression... but really wonder who would want to buy this.

This is an awesome 'project'. The straight delivery is god drat hilarious.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Haha, that's pretty clearly a load of bullshit. No video, no links to a website, no links to a community. And yet they got $13,550 in the pot.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've only raised 5% of their goal in five days so I don't think that $13,550 will be going anywhere.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that, It's more that that many people bought into it in the first place. They can't all be joke pledges surely?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

23 Flavors posted:

I didn't watch the video, but I thought you could play as Peach in Super Mario Bros 2?

That's addressed too. SMB2 was a straight up reskin of another game which had 4 playable characters, one of which was a Princess. She's never been made into the hero of a main series game as a result of authorial intent.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, I noticed the cherry-picked examples as well. The other egregious example of cherry-picking was that Sarkeesian spends over 20 minutes ragging almost exclusively on Nintendo for their lack of female protagonists, and never once mentions that Nintendo were in fact the first game company to release a major game with a female protagonist - namely, Metroid.

Umm, the point is that the poster franchise of video games is almost entirely based on this trope story wise. She doesn't go on a gently caress Nintendo rant, she specifically goes through what is wrong with their choice of narrative, and shows examples of how it is prevalent within video games. Does this exploration require her to go in detail about other games so Nintendo don't seem so bad, even though that games has zero to do with the exploration of the Damsel in Distress trope? Hell no.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Install Gentoo posted:

There's a good article on it here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

The intention was originally to make a Mario game that had a focus on moving vertically and doing co-op gameplay. Some of that survived in how SMB2 still has long stretches where you move mostly vertical, and the co-op kinda morphed into the 4 character thing.

News to me, interesting. It's funny because it's so easy to buy the alternative because of how it's a complete departure from the rest of the main series, no Bowser, selectable characters, no score, etc.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

She's not out to 'fix' video games and 'solve' their problems, she's just discussing certain game trends from a feminist perspective.

/\/\/\ edit: Well yeah, there's definitely been an aspect that specifically makes a big deal out of the fact that Samus is a girl, from the reveal in the first, to Super Metroid's death animation. Is there any particular reason why she's near naked under there? Not really.

Furthermore, is it really that difficult to see the way to avoid this is to stop using the trope in your games? All that she really needs to do is make a strong case for the fact that there is in fact a problem, as that's the main obstacle, as evidenced by the furious denial and detraction against this video series for day one. Once general perception changes, the problems can start to be fixed.

Maluco Marinero has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Mar 12, 2013

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
After you hit the project minimum, you can remove your pledge but only if it wouldn't drop it back below the minimum. Basically you can't unfund a project but you can lower the height of the success.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Install Gentoo posted:

No, you can unfund a project. But you can't do it in the last 24 hours of the project. So if it's a week before the project ends, it's allowed for people to take enough out that the project goes back to unfunded. But once you hit 24 hours to go any money put in can only be removed if it won't underfund.

Ah okay, my misunderstanding.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Noyemi K posted:

They aren't that good at all... and you might seriously want to put an epilepsy or eyestrain warning for that site, because that thing flickers like a loving christmas tree. Psychedelic my arse.

Yeah, I lasted 2 seconds on that side, and I'm not even epileptic. That's just the most anti-usable place I've seen on the internet for a while.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Tazzillekki posted:

How is asking for financial support with no direct profit to the financier perfectly okay but asking for musical support while offering nothing but exposure and beer is unbelievably evil? Don't coddle them, they're adults and know what's in their best interest.

Also, nice strawman, StevenM.

Unpaid internships should be illegal for a reason. I have no problem with non profit organisations seeking volunteers, but entities that are in business for profit are taking advantage of their power and clout to get poo poo for free, and that isn't right.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Haha, screw you dude. Lack the resources? Try telling someone who's lived hand to mouth their entire god drat life, stuck in genuine poverty, that the only way to get a solid job is to work FOR FREE, for years and we MIGHT give you a job.

Cash doesn't rule everything to you because your basic needs are met by what you have access to. For those whose definition of making sacrifices is in losing genuine necessities, skipping meals, and so on, cash is important. This is non-negotiable, without cashflow they will be homeless and/or starving, and that's an awfully difficult situation to bootstraps yourself out of.

Supporting the bottom line of companies with free labour may serve you in the short term, but you're selling out everyone around you in the process.

But, uhhh... Awful Kickstarters... yep.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pyroclastic posted:

The FF7 fan film isn't parody, and it's clearly a derivative work; SE would be entirely within their rights to squash it at any point in its development. Fan games have been stopped years into development and months from release.

Yeah. just look at what happened to the FF6 OCRemix project. They got it out in the end but had to kickstart a hell of a lot of funding to license the rights. And they had a much better track record for delivering than these guys.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Orzo posted:

Yes, the videos are all like that. They are also full of annoying jump cuts. Despite all this, the Megaman video actually does have some good content with concrete examples.

Yeah, I like that video and try to bring across the discoverability ideas into the web app stuff I've been working on the last month or so. I think the pretty obvious thing thing these guys who say - well we'll leave these things for the player to discover -- they're missing the fact that unless you put thought and design into HOW your player will discover something, it's a crapshoot whether they stumble upon it or not. If you're not doing that, it's not really a conscious decision at that point but an omission.

You probably didn't learn to wall jump Super Metroid by accident, even though you could've done so at any point in the game, you probably did it going through their specifically crafted set piece which made it crystal clear that you could do it, and roughly how to do it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

PepperSinclaire posted:

You don't even need that. Crack the egg, drop the contents into your hand. Let the white fall through your fingers, keeping the yolk in your hand.

In other dumb culinary Kickstarter news, local to me is this gimmicky nonsense. Environmentally friendly, you say? I would have thought not adding frivolous electronic components into a mug would be pretty environmentally sound, but hey, I'm not a design student, so...

Haha, what a waste. I love their team photo too, all people in the background and out of focus. I would've thought people would already have themselves a thermometer if they're serious about coffee, but here we go. Turns out nerding up a problem with an overdone solution is Kickstarters bread and butter. At least it looks like they'll make it at this rate.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

unpacked robinhood posted:

He's even from "cullman, alababama"

their should be no problem but if one occurs i plan on taking it head on...and taking immediate action...

No risks here mate, but if they crop up, then it's game time! Hilariously tragic video too.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jett posted:

i don't disagree, i'm just saying it wouldn't have raised over $800,000 in two days if it weren't for those two magic words, "Smartphone Controlled"

I would've loved to see a side by side of that project with 'remote controlled paper airplane' to see how it went.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Waffleman_ posted:

And it's Star Wars themed, which is loving cheating with Lego.

Haha yeah. Just imagine them sitting around coming up with this Kickstarter.

"Hey man you've heard of Star Wars right? People like Lego and Star Wars, bring them together, its never been done before at this scale!!"

Its kind of funny how far Kickstarter gets from the idealised launchpad for original and risky concepts.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Noyemi K posted:

I could have sworn I posted that a page ago.

But yeah, he's a fool if he thinks he's gonna make it off one video per week, or one video per month. The superstars have daily/twice-daily vids.

The funny thing is there's a crowd funding service for that kind of thing already at Patreon, but you sort if need to be actually creating content and grow the audience from there. Lot of terrible stuff on there but at least they're forced to grow organically rather than try to promise the moon on a scam.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

LethalGeek posted:

GF got a bit pissy with me last night when I said the road thing sounds neat but it'd be way more effective to throw panels on the roofs of every store with a parking lot before bothering to put them in the ground to get messed up by cars.

Pretty much. Also, its not like we should be generating mass amounts of power with that style of solar when you can generate way more cost effectively with solar thermal, given that the collectors are basically mirrors. It's interesting tech, especially in places like Australia where we have so much sun we could potentially skip right past Nuclear with a concerted effort, saving a ton of money.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Morglon posted:

So it's like a stick? or any regular old piece of plastic? And they sell them for 20 bucks. Nice.

Just more evidence that Kickstarter is more of a marketing tool than a innovators tool. On Kickstarter you can take products that already exist, brand them for an alternative purpose, and just see if they can convert at the new price point you've given them.

To be honest i find these products so much more offensive than Kickstarters that are just plain bad. At least those are trying, just poorly, these ones are borne out of, and reward, a very cynical worldview that contributes nothing special or new.

Edit: that's not to say innovative products don't succeed, they do and make serious bank, its just annoying seeing all this mediocre rebranding poo poo of existing products turn a profit.

Maluco Marinero has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Sep 13, 2014

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Indeed, I imagine there are people who can note take / sketch with digital tools but for me its always a substandard replacement for the physical. There's zero learning curve, no friction of a UI, just ideas you wanna slap onto a page. This is especially true when its mixed notes with drawings, graphs and text. Its sort of why digital mind mapping tools are a bit poo poo compared to doing it by hand, and far less engaging.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Rudager posted:

The problem with Patreon is it's the most pan handliest crowd funding site out there, there's no commitments or anything it's just "give me a few dollars every month, and hey, maybe I'll do some stuff". There's not even an attempt at accountability for the most part.

For real? There's a shed load more accountability in Patreon compared to Kick starter. There's no lump sum to lock in, people set their amounts, and can see a creator's record of content. There's no big promise like Kickstarter, where the finish line may be years away. There's absolutely nothing stopping people from pulling the plug if they feel they aren't getting there money's worth. The only beef you have is with an audience with different standards than you.

Patreon has a bunch of terrible creators, but so does Kickstarter. At the very least Patreon is not just Kickstarter in shabby clothes, it serves a particular type of content creator and fits the bill perfectly for them. They can actually generate a revenue stream for their work without sorting out the logistics, and also without having to lock it up to monetise it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

chitoryu12 posted:

Exploding Kittens made so much money because of the existing popularity of the Oatmeal, not because of anything to do with the concept. A hundred nearly identical concepts come and go every day, and they fail because they lack the backing of a comic that gets over 4 million unique visitors a month with an annual revenue of $500,000 as of 2012. If you were to have made the exact same concept yourself, you'd have gotten five bucks.

This is it. Massively successful kickstarters all build upon existing brands and fan bases. It is a way to activate a fan base into customers and advocates, and no "kick starter isn't meant for this" sentiment is ever going to change the fact that Kick starter always yields better returns for established brands and personas.

Its good to see a sudden success crop up, but usually they've been doing the hard yards building up a small fan base too, its just that you hadn't heard of them. Exploding Kittens is just a combination of a massive initial fan base, a super safe product (really there's no risk at all that people won't get what they ordered in the end of the day), and a well concerted effort to keep rolling the marketing during the funding window.

There is really nothing stopping smaller projects replicating this at a smaller scale if they generate the fan base to support it, but of course that's no easy task unless you have existing products out there.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Elysiume posted:

It seems like they entirely gave up on curating projects, which was most of their non-technical work.

Yeah, well at this point they can just ride their reputation as the 'reputable crowd funding site', whether it's justified or not.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't. I just don't get why other people do. They couldn't get people who are real good with money to pay.

That's so not true it hurts mate. Jim Sterling has done heaps on this issue. Look at triple A development these days and they're constantly chasing impossible graphics benchmarks they set for themselves and then complaining that they're missing sales targets.

There is a mid tier that could badly do with funding but doesn't get it because the only games that exist to people with the big purse strings are CoD, Candy Crush and Clash of Clans. Everything else gets ignored.

Guys like Devolver are killing it with a focus on the mid tier, but there's not nearly enough publishers in the space so many devs are forced to bootstrap, unless they go kickstarter

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

asking for money from the internet is not a good model. We learned this in the '90

Played your hand a little too far there mate, no one is this stupid... Or are they?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Nintendo Kid posted:

By "labor laws" he means "ridiculous laws that have the same basis as NO BUSINESS ON SUNDAY" that they keep finding excuses to keep on the books. "something something labor rights" is only one of the latest. It's bs, because there are plenty of people who would prefer to work overnight rather than during the day for various reasons, and it's completely possible to schedule people in ways that don't violate their rights.

You'll always find lobbyists from the exception to the rule too. In Western Australia Sunday Trading was often an issue, and of course the people that always came out to bat for keeping the law were the Hotelier's association, which would lose their monopoly on selling alcohol if the liquor stores were allowed to open. Always framed as labour rights but like they give a drat about that.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, the moleskine is the "Sent by my iPhone" equivalent for writing/sketching.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sleeveless posted:

I wish I lived in a world where it was socially acceptable to wear a mask when you were sick, especially if you live in a world where health insurance and time off is such a clusterfuck that coming into work while sick is a fact of life.

Pretty much, seems a pretty western thing to be too vain/proud to wear a mask, so everyone gets the flu instead.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Germstore posted:

They've compromised the design to make it actually work, but never realized that at some point it stopped making any sense.

Yep. Bicycles are already resource cheap compared to pretty much every other form of transportation save walking. It's telling that in their pitch they make this comparison:

(A car’s carbon footprint is 271 g/km; a bamboo bicycle’s is less than 21 g/km)

...rather than you know, comparing with a standard bike.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Haha, yeah. They're really talking about a different type of risk, the 'backers better not stop funding these moon shots otherwise we'll make less money' risk.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
There has to be a better way!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The General posted:

I don't want one, cause keeping butter on the counter is easy enough. But $100 doesn't sound unreasonable for a useless gadget to add to the pile.

https://aervana.com/ for example. I'll just wait a few minutes for my wine to do its thing, or get a non electric one for cheaper.

It's the kind of gadget that's perfect for the kind of people who need gadgets for every little niche thing in the kitchen, which happens to be a fairly large market with money to burn. Nothing really awful about it though.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I don't think he realised just how far his star has faded. Nostalgia veterans can still cash in without footage, but he's leaned on his name without delivering enough that he doesn't get that luxury.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like how people are continuing to respond to this kickstarter like its a real thing.

It's literally run by comedians.

Yeah, I watched the video and had that inkling. Of course, the problem with satirising kickstarters is the line between the two is drawn in water with a blunt pencil.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i always hated those graphics with all the logos on them. who the hell is impressed by something like that?

Successful startups have done it, so now everyone does it because it's social proof/bullshit.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Cheez posted:

Or, uh, you could use the pedals? Like everyone else?

I reckon riding that thing like a pedal bike would be real hard going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

There's probably cheaper ways of achieving the same effect other than a $1899 ($2999 retail) + $200-500 postage electric bike.

There are way better electric and manual means of transportation. That bike would be a lovely ride (likely very difficult to adjust to achieve fit), and it wastes a tonne of space that could've held more battery power or storage if it wasn't for the crappy pedals you're never really going to want to use in anger.