Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just wanted to mention that I got my Pebble watch (I was an early backer at $125), and immediately sold it for $350 on Ebay. I'm pleasantly surprised, but I think that is a non-typical end to a Kickstarter experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lorn Wayne posted:

How was the watch anyway?

100% useless and tacky looking. I get so many emails that the watch pretty much buzzed and vibrated non-stop. I realize I could have turned off notifications for my email accounts, but that's sort of the point of the watch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

I know they probably won't reach $31 million but holy poo poo.

I'll never understand who would pledge $5 not get anything. All you get is an epub of the game manual?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Oral Slither posted:

Someone who is currently broke but would love to see the game get made.

I have no money so I'll spend five dollars to buy nothing with the promise of getting nothing in the future. Gotcha.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I'd be terrified that'd fall on my face.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think the Pebble is the only really successful example of a Kickstarter. Although, the finished product was kind of a useless gimmick, but that was the idea going into it. I'm glad that I sold mine for double what I paid for it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

reaper was also successful if you are basing it off percentage over the pledge goal not total dollars raised
11500% over the goal compared to pebble's 10000%

Reaper asked for 30k and got 3.4 mil
Pebble asked for 100k and got 10 mil

For such a niche product, i think reaper was wildly successful

I've never heard of Reaper before, so I looked it up. Holy crap.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zeether posted:

Remember Bob's Game? He's trying to do a KS for it (again): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobsgame/bobs-game?ref=discovery

Can't wait to see how this poo poo turns out.

Objectively better than Tetris*

*game includes Tetris.

If Lucas hadn't gotten to make Star Wars I think this is about what he would have turned out in the mid-90s after years of sitting on it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

Will this guy never disappear?

Hopefully never.

I'm the video to pitch a product that shows only gameplay footage of dialogue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FrozenVent posted:

Still not seeing how that can possibly come up to 3000 pounds. AKA a motherfucking ton and a half.

Also if someone could point me towards a belt with a 3000 pounds breaking stress... Kevlar, I guess?

He mentions tradesmen or other construction workers. I'd suggest that you wouldn't want a nearly unbreakable belt because there's a significant safety risk in getting your belt caught in a machine or something, and then instead of the belt breaking and you get free, it is unbreakable and you get TORN IN HALF. A lot of safety planning is based around something else getting destroyed instead of you.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Just Winging It posted:

One might say they're charging top dollar.

Yeah, but they put a different spin on an old product.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tim Buckley is pulling in over $2.5k monthly from Patreon.

2400, after taxes is only like $2000, quick back of envelope math tells me he's making about 12 bucks an hour. He also gets no health insurance, so how's he financing all these miscarriages? Congratulations, you are a 35 year old guy with a job that pays slightly more than minimum wage?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

It's problematic.

The problem is that for every one of ^ there's a hundred:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Suspicious Dish posted:

Charge your internet for the hard-working man on the go

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wifiex

I've read that page several times and the best I can gather is that it's a device that consumes your home wifi, stores the "internet" it sucks up, and then lets you tap into it and make a wifi hotspot anywhere? Something about satellites too. I can't make any sense of it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DStecks posted:

You can't, anymore than you can stand in somebody's presence to charge up conversation with them so you can talk to them on the go.

Oh boy, a perfect Kickstarter idea for the Introvert Movement.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

Their Gantt chart has it shipping in Feburary, which seems crazy.

wa27 posted:

Gantt chart

HAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Yeah sure, let me hop in my time travel machine back to 1970 when these things were relevant.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

As someone who fell for the Pebble the first time, I find it hilarious that people are still dumb enough to give them money for another watch after their first one shipped almost a year late without half of the features they showed in the pitch video.

Actually, I wonder if they've finally managed to ship the first watches to Germany yet.

fe: Hahahahaha gently caress me there are still people saying they haven't received their Pebble from the original Kickstarter from 2012.

I loved the first Pebble. I got in the first group on Kickstarter, waited 18 months, got it, and put it right on ebay and nearly tripled my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Wait a second. $53? On kickstarter you can pledge $34 to get one.

Bulk purchasing often leads to a cheaper price per unit.