Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

If they'd put out a comprehensive pack of the D4 dlc (with a bulk discount of course), I'd go for it. But as it stands right now I'm just going to wait for the Vita version which I estimate is going to hit the ground with the dlc as part of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I fired back up into Disgaea 4, which I sort of blame on this thread for popping up so much recently. I'm having a weird phenomena with the network online functionality for visiting senators. Foremost, yes, 'Network' is on, in the settings. It seems I'm neither transmitting nor receiving. I have the same two senators from the same two guys showing up, and it's been about a week of no new records at all. I'm assuming that somehow I'm blocked, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to straighten it out.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think it only pulls senators from your friends list. I may be wrong though.

You can set it to 'friend list only'. But I don't.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I know I'm years late on this but I kind of set aside Disgaea 3 and 4 after scraping past their main stories with lead characters barely making it past lv 120. I know that means I left a lot of 'game' untouched, but I'm getting around to it now (particularly considering how much more good stuff is packed into the Vita D3 over the PS3 copy that's been gathering dust on a shelf).

I have a question relative to Disgaea 3, but some background first. One of my favorite units to cook up in both 1 and 2, was a final-tier ghost that had every omega/tera elemental and healing spell, and buffs / debuffs inherited from subordinates via the old learning system.
There are two significant differences for 3 and 4 that I can see, if I want to once again cook up a mana regenerating apocalyptic soul loving ghost. First, there's a limit to the number of abilities a unit can carry, so there's not much point in trying to get every spell on the ghost possible. No big deal, I can work with that.
Second, the 'inheritance' system isn't what it used to be, and I'm trying to wrap my head around it at the moment. I just simply want to know- if I plan on getting the Tera element / heal spells on that ghost, I'm going to need to have the respective casters ground up to the right level and mana so that they have the abilities I want for the ghost, and then I put the ghost through that unit's 'Class'/'Chara' world in order to obtain them?

And then I could go into the ghost's own Class/Chara world to buff him up like I would a weapon in Item World?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

TEGGS posted:

I believe it's possible in Disgaea 3 to organize a unit's skills and place unused skills into 'storage'. So you could remove all non-Omega/Tera level spells from the unit's available skill list while still actually knowing them, thus giving you more space. So you could theoretically make a character that knows every single spell and weapon skill in the game still.

I'm aware of that... but since you can't take every possible known ability into the field, there's no point learning up the stuff that'll never be equipped in favor of preferred spells. If anything what I can tell it's a discouragement to not simply have one omnipotent alpha caster, and to have multiple units if you intend to field all spells.

quote:

Going to Class World randomly buffs the unit's stat adjustments, up to either 255% or 300%. You get a +1% for each Dropout you kill and maybe five +1% for killing the Class World President. You can only enter the Class World a maximum of three times per reincarnation though (at Genius level).

Cool, thanks for the information! Am I right though that I'm using class/chara world to 'inherit' abilities off of said unit I'm world'ing into?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Did swords return to the glory they were in Disgaea o.g., or are they still the poo poo we've become accustomed to lately?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Oh my goodness. Old school weapon proficiencies! Laharl's classic music (of which I've only heard the chiptune retread from the other Disgaeas from the last 10 years)! The updated Rosen Queen tune! O.G. monsters with hi-res sprites! I'm completely dangling somewhere between a nostalgic surge and satisfaction with the interface improvements... not the least of which is observing how quickly saving and loading behave.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

D2 question. I'm about a little bit into Chapter 2, and I don't think I see a way that there is going to be an XP or mana leeching gimmick like Disgaea 3 and 4 had. Is there a mechanic coming down the way, or is it back to 'participate in combo attack' tedium?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

yellowcar posted:

Thank god you only need one mage class now. Leveling 3 three mages to get the star element is a like pulling teeth.

edit: I see you can use the Dark Assembly to change affinity whenever you want, which I suppose would get your one mage dude learning the other elemental spells...
double-edit... you can change personality & evility, but not elemental affinity. While you only need one mage to reach the 'star' spells, if you actually want to unlock the proper elemental spells, it still has to be done with 3 separate mages.

I've found a happy grinding spot that's really eased up the difficulty in the early game. 2-2 "Frozen River" may not have any +EXP geo bonuses, but it does have some dirt-stupid AI to exploit and makes for a great single-unit development spot. There's a fence that protrudes to the center of the map, and as long as your character can make it onto the end of it, they'll be off the ATK -50 ground tiles. Put yourself on top of, and at the end of that fence, and here's where the magic happens.

Zombies in the map will come at you. The fencepost you're on is too high for a standard attack from three sides, but zombies that flank you there will just stand there and do nothing. Zombies that come around your back to the elevation where they can hit you, *won't actually hit you on the round they climb up to reach you*. You can either pick units off one at a time, or you can throw-stack them into a huge, unmoving zombie that you can leisurely burn down.
There's a shaman in the map that can present the only potential issues, but I've been using Flonne and Sicily to toss out espoirs and heals from the base panel, then moving out of the range that triggers the zombies at the foot of the fence to chase someone else.
Exploiting this map along with the cheat shop had made for some quick early-game levelling. It is REALLY sweet for casters with Fire magic, as the zombies are all vulnerable to it. The shaman resists it, but having an air or physical attack backup will deal with that nicely.

5er fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 11, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Loading up one caster with every offensive spell is the same wrecking machine as it was with 1 and 2. That heavy knight 'defend everywhere' is just going to make this sweeter.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

D2 reincarnation question- does it carry over the evility of the original unit if I reincarnate off tfrom the original class?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wanderer posted:

No, it does not.

God dammit. I was hoping I could get the 10% SP regen per tic back onto a ghost. I don't care for the loli housemaid pigeontoed bullshit look of the witches.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

There's no 'ultimate' humanoid class in D2 is there? It won't break or diminish the experience for me really, but it is one less goal I'm accustomed to.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, 4 is still a very good game (with a lot funnier writing/characters than D2 overall.) Just be prepared for more complex gameplay systems like in D3.

About the only thing that's grating to me going from D2 back to 4 is the ability inheritance system.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Marogareh posted:

I know I should just finish the story and do the postgame but I can't stop making new guys and powerleveling them :negative:

I am right there with you, man.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Huh. I haven't had it freeze once, and I've had a couple days where the game has just been running all day, idling while I was out getting groceries or chores something (item world needs a goddamn quicksave option).

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Drythe posted:

I haven't played any Disgaeas since 2 due to not having a PS3 until now. Should I pick up D2 or Disgaea 4?

They're pretty different games from each other. D2's system definitely feels like a sequelized progression of 1's, with lots of fantastic evolutionary updates. If you go with that one first, it'll feel familiar enough. Disgaea 4 has some pretty big changes from the way 1 and 2 played. Not so much with combat; there aren't any significant adjustments I can think of there. You'll have a little bit of re-learning and acclimation to get used to regarding unit development, but it's still a pretty good game. Hell, if you find your way into a Vita, I'd suggest getting Disgaea 3 for that since it contains all the DLC content, waiting for 4 to release since it'll have all the DLC content, and playing D2 to pass the gap.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Brasseye posted:

I love that you can stack your team into a tower for easy power leveling, but its a shame you can only have one monster in the tower.

If anyone's on the fence about getting the Fuka & Desco DLC I say go for it. So far they've been a lot more useful to me than the generics they replaced.

Generics can get great benefits in post-game reincarnation and whatnot, but for people just hopping into the game and are looking for some npcs with solid inherent abilities, Fuka and Desco are awesome.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tengames posted:

Are there any staticians in Disgaea d2, or is the cheat shop the only way to boost xp rates?

There are statisticians.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

sentrygun posted:

Is there any word on fixes for the crashes and stuff in D2? I'd like to pick it up but playing a Disgaea game that crashes and eats my progress sounds like the worst thing on the planet.

I have a 150 hour save file and no crashes. Disk copy, not digital. And if you are keeping about three or more rotating save files that's the best way to keep bulwarked from fuckups you can't control.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Between D:D2 and GTA5, the moral here seems to be 'The PSN's not entirely ready for digital distribution.'

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Enemies have to be standing on the EXP+% (or Mana+, or HL+ for that matter) panels, to gain the reward.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

sentrygun posted:

If the Cheat Shop works in D4V like it did in DD2...

gently caress yes. I really liked that mechanic. Beats the poo poo out of managing it via senate / homeroom.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Second time I am trying to save, and it seems the 'Save Data' screen doesn't react to touch or any input. Vita's not locked up, I can task in and out just fine. Is there any way short of relaunching the game I can get it to behave?

I am not going to loving want to play this game if going to save is where the risk of crashes are. Sometimes you have those miracle runs in Item World and it would be really infuriating if after the end of a good run you lose it to software fuckup.

edit: I just tricked it out of the funk. I did the long-press on the PS button which brought up the quick settings Vita menu. Funny thing was, I couldn't touch the X to close out, but I could press the PS button again to drop out of the menu, and from there it'd let me poke at my save options properly.
Not entirely cool, but livable.

5er fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 13, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mithaldu posted:

They want you to play in japanese.

Tried that. The voices just seem less... emphatic? Maybe it's the language barrier but Axel is somehow less overwhelmingly annoying. This is not acceptable to the Disgaea experience.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have not played whatever game Stella or Rutile come from, so I have no idea who the hell they are. But they are great a-list team members right off the bat.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You have to have a Disgaea 3 save to get them so apparently you have :v:

I must've not gotten to whatever content they were in :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rutile has guns listed as one of her weapon fortes, but I'm not seeing any gun abilities available for her at the evility vendor. Why is this?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I love the cheat shop's inclusion in Vita D4 so much. I do not miss the tedium of having to use senate hearings to adjust enemy difficulty. I also appreciate the straightforward, easy toggle for Internet-shared visiting voters. Sometimes I just want to get something passed, and I don't want to deal with Jimmy Cockmaster's 9999 Majin who will poo poo up your floor because you didn't bring a loving barbell into a vote with you.
e: I know the PS3 proper games had a setting for shutting it off but it'd put you through a few bitch-at-you messages for disabling it, and the last time I toggled it back off and then back on, my foreign minister never seemed to get dispatched, and I only ever saw the one same visiting senator ever again.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

King of Solomon posted:

What the gently caress is with the Prism Rangers? Why are their growth rates so high? It was weird enough when it was just Prism Red, but the generics have ultra-high growth rates too.

Their unwavering commitment to bad television programming for the preschool demographic.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I never paid Emizel much mind when I originally played D4, just because of how much of an annoying bitch he was thru his introductory chapter. He's a pretty solid rear end beater in a game where magic can be the win-button.

I loving love the cheatshop too. I like taking on story mode with broken, overlevelled characters. It makes the pre-map enemy poo poo-talk amusing.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

5-2 also gets you level 99 enemies at 8 stars - bonus XP for low-mid-level grinding, plus there's two easily reachable EXP+50% blocks to throw onto the geopanels. There's another two in the back of the map, but it's faster to just ignore them.

I abused the poo poo out of that map, PS3 era. I just cooked up about six expendable armor knights to take care of hurling the characters I cared about to all the xp bonus blocks.

5er fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

RC Cola posted:

Is D2 worth picking up? I loved the first one and haven't tried the others.

Yes. If you loved the first one, yes. If you loved the first one, all the ones in between will be fun too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just did my first Omega Fire. There's stupid anime poo poo, and then there's stupid anime poo poo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Endorph posted:

God no. D3 has the worst story in the series and I say this as someone who kind of likes it. It's basically one gag (demons consider doing evil acts to be 'good' and good acts to be 'evil', so that a student who is always on time and is super polite is considered a rebellious badass, while a slacker who plays games and reads comics all day is a model student) repeated 1000 times, while famed anime voiceman Vic Mignogna goes 'muahahaha' over and over.

The best characters have barely any screentime, too. D4 is way better both gameplay and plot-wise, and improves a lot on D3. Go for it.

I endorse everything going on in this post.

edit: further, I'd have to say, if you burn through everything in D4 and just feel hungry for something next, go for D3 then. Just be prepared to compromise on a couple mechanical things, like no cheat shop and some steps backward on a couple weapon skills.

5er fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 22, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I haven't indulged in Chara world yet at all, and I understand a lot of what's written so far but I would like to know. If I hypothetically want to get sword affinity or abilities onto a character that doesn't have it, how would I use chara world to do it?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Hunter Noventa posted:

If it's a generic, the easiest way is to reincarnate them into a sword-using class to learn them. if it's a special character, it's a pain in the butt. But the general proceudre is this-

1. Acquire a Runner (I usually go for the Super Hero, give him a fist and three pairs of shoes)
1a. Acquire a Blaster (Optional, but a mage with a staff and a maxed out low level spell can clear the gate keeper off a lot of Chara World levels before you bring out your runner)
2. Learn Skills on Donor (In this case, probably a generic who has the affinity)
3. Reincarnate the target to level 1 and unequip them (So the enemies in the chara world are weaker)
4. Use the Aura Pyramid to get huge piles of mana on the Target without gaining levels (The cost to learn a skill via the chara world is something like, 10x the base cost of the skill, and you'll want to make sure you've got extra in case the secret dojo pops up)
5. Make sure Donor and Target are in the same Evil Area
6. Enter the Target's chara world, blitz past everything. (I usually only stop to take out the null symbols that nuke all the lower blocks, and therefore reveal any Heart Conservatives, Aptitude Boxes or Evility Boxes)

You are a peach. Thank you!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I know most of you guys loving hate the idea, but if Pokemon can make the leap to 3d rendered units, I think Disgaea could.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I'm a bit dissapointed that Disgaea 4 uses the Sardine poo poo so much, especially when the rest of the game is a pretty harsh (by Japanese standards) political satire.

Disgaea's 'thing' has always been making a typecast for a character then running it the gently caress into the ground. Which kinda describes anime as a whole anyway.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Emron posted:

He literally yells "sardines" when he attacks in game. Though Fuka's dream poo poo was way more annoying.

Yeah the whole game is largely guiding a pack of anime schizophrenic narcissists to world salvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Emizel's got some great evilities that improve his general base magic special damage, and his single target damage output. If you get him rigged up with fire spells (chara world will be needed as was discussed for tera/peta versions), and have Stella just out driving down the fire resist in general, that boy can be a proper murder machine. His inherent specials aren't all the greatest, but I like his third one, when you can get the enemies to checkerboard out just right.

As for the Valvatorez / final sword ability, that happens at lv500 as also was said.

• Locked thread