Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

On saturday morning I woke up in a 5 star hotel I'd checked myself into after losing my keys while pissed. I have no recollection of how that happened.

This is the very best sentence.

Sadly my bachelorisms are in slightly short supply because I've not had the chance to really unwind lately, but I'm looking forward to getting back to microwaved food/Jack+coke/X-Files marathons in my underwear, while on a fully nocturnal sleep schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Kalos posted:

What sort of beer is typically used in a Snakebite? I've only heard of the Black and Apple before, which is Guinness floating on Cider (and cinnamon sugar on the rim if you're fancy and gross)

Here in Glasgow, it's Tennents and Strongbow, sometimes with a dash of blackcurrant to colour it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I was recently reading about coffee and read that cowboys on the trail made coffee by just putting grounds into a pot of boiling water and waiting for the grounds to settle. I tried it in a sauce pan and it works. Boil water, stir in grounds, wait 5 minutes, pour off liquid into mug. Perfectly clear coffee with way easier cleanup.

This is what my parents taught me was called a 'stinger' and they picked it up in med school. It's great it you have ground coffee at work, but not sieve/strainer/cafetiere/etc. You need pretty course-ground coffee beans, though. Spoonful in the mug, boiling water, stir once, and let it settle. Persistently floating grounds can be coaxed to sink by stroking the surface with the back of the spoon or, in a pinch, tapping them with a fingertip smartly. Works a treat. You just have to be careful when you get to the bottom of the mug.

Combine with a roll-up for a seriously early-morning-hangover vibe, if that's your thing. Recommended, personally.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

So I'm about to become a bachelor after 12 years of living with parents/military dorms/marriage as an adult.

Any tips for becoming a 30 year old bachelor?

Take two weeks to sit in your underpants and listen to 80s rock records. After that, work out what you need to do to not feel like some kind of goon-cave scumbag, and do that regularly. Otherwise, everything you survey from the comfort of your sofa is yours, and rock that poo poo. Start cooking insanely complicated meals at 10pm involving steak (see thread for advice on the best way to cook steak!) and eat at 2am because why the gently caress not?

Also: showerbeer. It will change your life.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So yesterday, I went down to visit at mate of mine who lives in the same apartment block as me. He's moving house, so he's looking to get rid of a bunch of stuff, and let me have a root through his back room where all his junk is stored. I came away with an old keyboard, some 8.5kg dumbbells, a bunch of useful decorating equipment, a 5.1 surround sound system, and some booze. Quite a lot of booze. Turns out he went teetotal a few years back, and had some stuff left over that he was never going to drink.

Here's a picture.

We have: almost full bottle of 12 year Highland Park; unopened 10 year Laphroig, a 2/3 full single cask Speyside single malt from the Whisky Appreciation society (which is 60% ABV and 20+ years old), a collection of 4 British ales, a surprise bottle of Hobgoblin, four bottles of Asahi Japanese beer, and sundry tiny bottles of random booze. All with a healthy layer of dust.

I may be in prison come Monday... bachelor weekend mode engaged.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Hayden posted:

Awesome score on the Scotch, but toss the Asahi and don't expect too much from the other beers. Some beers benefit from aging, but most deteriorate pretty quickly past 3 months from packaging. Generally speaking, only stuff with double digit abv is going to hold up past about six months. The brewery I work for pulls our beer off the shelves after 120 days, for what it's worth.

For thread content, I just got off a 14 hour shift. I'm drinking my eighth beer, then I'm going to take a quick shower and get about six hours of sleep. My boss is picking me up to take me to a brewers conference in Austin, where I'm going to stay in a shithole hotel, attend a few technical seminars, eat a bunch of free food, and drink my weight in free beer. My boss told me to pack, and I quote, "At least four packs of cigarettes, your drinking pants, and shoes you don't mind puking on. Also, leave your self respect at home."

I love my job.

*edit* When I say that beer deteriorates, I don't mean it'll taste off, I mean it'll make you loving sick. Also Laphroiag is amazing and I'm jealous.

Had a couple of the Asahi last night, no ill effects. i'm well aware of what beer past its prime tastes like, so I'll go carefully. I mean, it's not like I don't have back-up booze, right?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm still transfixed by this part.

I'm hoping my pronouncement is merely tongue in cheek and I wake up in my own bedroom on Monday. Got some friends coming over, and it's likely to get... boozy.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kastein posted:

You can, and I have. You just have to use liquid nitrogen to freeze it.

Oh, and they most definitely will stick to your lips and give you frostbite. Careful.

Pimpin' new av you've got there, pal.

Bachelor Friday engaged: tobacco, Laphroig, trousers off, watching nerdy films.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

Beer cubes works wonders for warm beer. Vodka doesnt freeze, as been mentioned, and watered down vodka defeats the purpose. Ice cube shot glasses are the way to go.

drinking Bloody Mary's listening to music as loud as I can in my new house as a bachelor owns.

edit: Been a Bachelor, decided to buy a house instead of pay rent.

Or those whisky stone things — lumps of stone you freeze. I'll often order a single malt and a separate tumbler with just ice in it when I'm at a pub, so I can dunk the ice for thirty seconds and then pull it out again. Does the 'chill slightly' and 'drop of water' in one fell swoop.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Zemyla posted:

I was going to write :words: about whiskey stones, but The Worst Things for Sale wrote everything I wanted to say about specific heat capacity.

If you must get something, get reusable ice cubes, which are basically water sealed in plastic. They may look stupid, but they have the phase change that something needs to be truly effective at cooling.

Interesting! I've never used them (because :effort:) but that's a good read. Science: 1; pretentious wankers: 0.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm curious. How do the rest of the bachelor crowd prevent drunk texting? Or do you just embrace it and let it ride?

Comedy option: get too drunk to text.

Serious answer: I don't know. I've not done it in years...

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

French toast and a pale ale is dinner, right?

Absolutely. Mix it up with Guinness every so often for special occasions (or because your iron intake is low).

Just got back from an excellent dinner at a friend's place. His wife went to bed early (they have a very young wee boy) and the two of us stayed up drinking wine and watching terrible sci-fi. I'm back at my place now, had some tea, got my tobacco, my 12 year Highland Park single malt, and it's time for yet another Firefly rerun on Netflix because :getin:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Jut finished 24 hours coding over 2 days.

Now I have whisky and damnit I am getting drunk on a Tuesday night.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kastein posted:

Turns out bread goes from perfectly fine to moldy as gently caress basically overnight, so I just ate some peanut butter and jelly with a spoon. Not because I don't have any money, mostly because I didn't feel like getting off my rear end and going to buy more bread...

Scrape the mould off.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The recipe I'm cooking calls for a slotted spoon. I don't have a slotted spoon. I do, however, have a drill, a file, and some knackered drill bits that needed using up.

Result: slotted spoon.

In the interests of safety, I'd like to reassure all concerned parties that safety beer googles were worn at all times.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

why not just use a fork? What were you cooking?

The obvious solution is seldom the most fun.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kastein posted:

I hope deburring was performed because that's going to hurt if you forget and eat off it sometime. Screaming and bleeding from the lips isn't very bachelor. :ohdear:

Of course. Broke out the files immediately. Then again, it's a serving spoon, so I don't eat with it.

JEEVES420 posted:

The kind that finds the solution with least amount of work...lazy kind I guess.

Jeherrin, what were you cooking? This is important man.

Cassoulet. It required spooning out 1/2 kilo of cannellini beans from a big pot of stock they'd been cooking in for an hour or so. Not fun with a fork, hence bachelor DIY madness.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

birdlaw posted:

Only YOU can prevent bush fires.

...is the wisecrack I was going to make, but you sorta beat me.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Put a finger/face guard on that I don't see a problem with letting the kids mow the lawn.

Nah, pseudo-industrial accidents are all part of the learning process.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Weeeeellll its Friday night, it's my birthday, my mates are all busy/in different cities, so I've got two bottles of wine, some violent movies, and I am sorted. :getin:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Drink and Fight posted:

Famous Grouse is delicious. It's my go-to for flask filling.

Aw man, I'm sorry you feel that way :(

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

You don't need to do that with brown rice — just 1:2 rice:water works a treat. To improve brown rice, the following:

A glug or two of oil in the pan, LOTS of turmeric, heat it up until the turmeric just starts to sizzle. Chuck in the rice, mix it around until it's coated nice and yellow. Let it heat up nicely before dumping the water in. Bring to boil, then stick a lid on and put it on your smallest ring on its lowest setting.

Leave for forty minutes.

Shovel into face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The advantages of being a bachelor: head to my regular bar at midnight, have two slow drinks until they close at one, get two more free from the staff while you shoot the poo poo over a couple smokes until the staff leaves at half two.

No one back home to complain. It helps to be self employed and working from home.

• Locked thread