Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

Just joined a match where I spotted a vanguard with his back turned. I figured I'd make short work of him with my mace, so I dodged into his back right as he was finishing up a horizontal with the billhook. It somehow connects and I'm killed instantly.

I think I'm done with this game until the devs fix the horseshit that needs fixing, rather than buffs to vanguards and nerfs to everything that can counter them.

Yeah, that's kinda why I stopped playing. Too many bullshit deaths to stupid things like the backswing of a handle decapitating me. These things "shouldn't" be too hard to fix, but when a seemingly vast majority of the community still thinks and is obnoxiously vocal about archers and MAAs being OP because the vanguard isn't invincible. Seriously, gently caress the official forums. I hate them and humanity by proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
C'mon guys, didn't you know that a 2-handed sword makes you into some sort of berserker that can slay all foes at a whim. :jerkbag:

Seriously though. Wtf, are they actively trying to ruin the game so its only played by no-skill shitlords?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Elth posted:

You know, at first I thought you were vastly over exaggerating how terrible the game had become, though I hadn't played since around the January patch.

I started playing again and I'm just amazed at how unplayable the game is now. I used to have so much fun running around chopping heads but now everything just feels wrong. :smith:

Agreed. There's very littele incentive to play anything other than a vanguard, unless you want to piss people off as an archer. I did have some fun last night mashing f10 and engaging guys only to explode into pieces in front of them.

Edit: I've been having a lot of instances of my attacks clearly not hitting when they easily should've, that and random combos when I only use a single attack.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 5, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Slappy Moose posted:

Believe me, I loving wish I was exaggerating. I wish I was wrong and that I'd just been imagining everything that changed because the game was so goddamn fun before the last two patches. It was easily my favorite multiplayer game at the time, if not one of my favorites ever. Which is just why I was so loving angry and bitter when they destroyed the balance without fixing any of the bugs.

I do feel that, fortunately, the most recent patch made things just a bit better. I'm still getting killed by swings that are nowhere near me, or hit by dudes looking the opposite direction of me, and all that poo poo. However, MAA feels a bit better. The weapon swings feel a bit more natural and less retardedly sluggish since the most recent patch. Of course, Vanguard is still the trumps-all-else class. The only counter to vanguards is a fantastic archer, since vanguards have no shield. And, since most archers are played by "B-b-but my kill death ratio!" pubbies, vanguard hordes are basically the best tactic in the game. But it isn't as bad as it used to me. At least by a bit.

Also, have you guys ever played in any of the servers that have FF turned off? Holy gently caress, that is probably the shittiest way to play this game. It's like normal a regular game of vanguards running at each other and spinning their swords, except they never team kill themselves to thin their numbers and instead just become a big mob of blade whirlwinds. Then they complain when an MAA throws a firepot into their midst and kills most of them... (spoiler alert, I am the MAA)

The thing I've noticed is that the whiniest players tend to be vanguards. Usually "archers should be removed" or "the MAA dodge is OP" when I see people whining about archers I'll switch to the light bow for more ammo and faster firing speed and try to single them out to further enrage them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Drunken brawl mode is awesome. Robot Randy and I were playing on a low grav server and the admin switched it to the brawl map. So much fun. Especially the boxing ring. We were taking turns boxing with different speed and damage settings. poo poo was hella fun.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

The game definitly feels different latley. Attacks just dont seem to connect when they should and I get hit from what should be out of range or before the animation gets to me (i know the polearms do this).

It really feels like it comes down to a slight "lag" in the netcode or something. Its not like a highping, its just like everything is just a smidgen off.

Definitely, the animations don't always sync up with the damage model or whatever you call it. Overall though, i'd say it's pretty good considering there are a bunch of people running around flailing things at each other, it's a wonder it works as well as it does.

I played some FFA tonight. :cripes: They may as well change the name to Vanguard mode. Who decided that making the vanguard fast with a strong weapon and pretty good armor was a good idea :psyduck:. They can just wave their sword around wantonly and get kills, it's like putting the game into easy mode.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Some sorta Chiv update, coming in at 1.2 GB...And no servers are showing up. Great loving patch :thumbsup:

edit: I lied, 1 server shows up....a Dev Testing Duel server

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

Running around backwards at lightspeed is officially the best thing.

Expect them to patch that out and still not fix veteran helmets or the trebuchet 3 slash 4 announcements.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Exodee posted:

And yeah, the charge attack is always awesome with fists

fixed that for ye.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Slappy Moose posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Shields let you completely ignore archers and feints. I use shield all the time and do just fine, I don't understand why you guys think it's such garbage. Shield and broadsword on the knight is loving awesome, just run in and block motherfuckers swings left and right, then hack them to bits like it's going out of style.

If you don't like shields personally, fine, but it's retarded to say that they are worthless.

Yeah, seconding this. I've found I do way better when using a shield as MAA. Heater shield plus broadsword is loving awesome. Avoid the buckler like the plague though, it takes up way too much screen space and I think it may still be broken (as in it doesn't block poo poo). It's hard to go back to not having a shield cause archers can plink away at me with impunity, but chucking a firepot :supaburn:into a group is still worth the trade-off for the screams alone.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the wooden cows, there are also some on the "get the petard to the gate map" on the hill behind the catapult.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
They've actually balanced it pretty well now. I still feel like vanguards are bit faster swinging than they need to be, but that's just me complaining. There's still the issue of full damage at all points during a swing.

I was playing on a server earlier today where there were dudes running around with 3-500 pings. It was loving awful trying to fight them. They'd teleport everywhere and end up killing me while winding up a swing. I tried to votekick them, but for some reason people refused to kick them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just had an amazing round of LTS, we just completely rushed and dominated the masons on the moors map all of us spamming Shift + C constantly. :black101:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Wait? There's a guillotine? It'd be awesome if you could get an environment kill with it.

I'm in head chopping, man stabbing withdrawal. RMAing my video card is taking an eternity.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
drat. They just keep nerfing the MAA. Should be interesting to see how badly they gimped him. I'm seeing a lot of vanguard improvement. Big surprise :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess the increase in base speed and sprint acceleration might counter the changes. I'm not wild about the holy water sprinkler being made slower and weaker. It's already laughably hard to use cause it's so drat short. Couple that with a reduced dodge seems like it'll be a terrible weapon to use as an MAA. It does look like the 25¢ staff might actually be of use now.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 26, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

I played this with a bunch of my co-workers today, and it was incredible. But is there really no easy way to host a game? We wanted to set up our own LAN game, but it doesn't even look like there's an option to host at all. The HOST GAME button just...starts a private botmatch.

LAN play is definitely possible. It's strangely not built into the game by default. The official forums should have more info on what you need to do to get it working.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I don't get why archers are hated, it's not an easy class to play by any means, dodging arrows is a skill that can be learned and in FFA half of the time you'll have to melee anyway.

It's because people are bad at the game and think that a game called "Medieval Warfare" should be melee only. Yeah it's frustrating getting shot in the head as you're about to chop some dudes head off, but it's not the end of the world. I think a lot of it is that they take video games too seriously and treat it like serious business.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Well I ran around a little as an MAA in the wee hours of the morning today. The nerfs to dodge are baffling. I can understand reduced speed/distance, or the cool down period. But together, combined with the inability to attack during a dodge makes it completely worthless. Just giving it a cool down with no attack during would've easily been sufficient. There's almost no incentive to use the dodge. The stamina drain simply isn't worth it.

The fire pot though is pretty great now that it can actually act as an area denial weapon. There's still some weird things with it, like the fire effect clipping through the bridge on stoneshill and lighting you ablaze if you run through the tunnel.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not really having any issues with the servers. I did encounter a dude playing as a knight who was almost unhittable cause of his ping. It was only like 130, but drat was it hard to kill him. My attacks would just go through him and so nothing to stop the onslaught of attacks.

I fell back in love with the javelin though, running around as an archer with the basic jav and the short sword is way too much fun. Laugh as everyone perishes to the stab. I guess you can throw it at guys too, but it's more fun to stab. It seems like TB had finally made it more telltale to pick up your used projectiles off the bodies of dead guys too, so that's a plus.

The stat reset glitch is a giant pain in the rear end though, sometimes I wanna use the light bow or the morning star, but nope can't because there's some dumbass glitch that is wildly inconsistent in it's occurrence.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
MAA is truly the best class. Well, the mason MAA at least. His taunts and voice in general are the best. I'm partial to running around spamming "you're welcome". My personal fav is "Pulled your feet from the fire did I?" Bonus points if you can get it to play after burning a dude with the fire pot.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
One of the most important things to do as an MAA is to just run the gently caress away sometimes. Just don't do it in a straight line cause the chase mechanic will get you killed. I played a little bit thus morning before work and drat, the broad sword is probably the best MAA weapon by a long shot. I fully expect it to be nerfed soon thanks to the whining vanguard community not killing everything easily enough.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 19, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

This is just anecdotal, but it feels like the MaA won't be caught up to by the chase mechanic, unless it's another MaA doing the chasing. I have never been caught up to if I just decide to haul rear end.

It's kinda true, if they dint give chase immediately, you stand a pretty good chance if getting away.I'm really glad they made it so the chase mechanic only works from the back. If you're clever you can turn enough while running to keep them from catching you. The buff to the MAA speed is probably the only good thing they've done for the class in some time.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the hatchet bugged or something? I swear it has way longer reach than it should. I played against some Maa using it today and it seemed like they could hit me from way farther than I thought they would. Kind of annoying since I'm not parrying shots I think will miss only for them to end up hitting anyways.

It's probably just lag either on your end or theirs. Did you see what their ping was? I've been hit lots of times by weapons I can clearly see passing in front of me. It's pretty bullshitty, but there's not much you can do about it except try to find a server with a low ping.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My new fav thing is to feint someone into parrying. Kill them, then mash laugh over their corpse. Bonus points if you're a Mason knight. That laugh pretty accurately portrays my amusement.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Coolguye posted:

The problem with LTS is that there ARE a hundred 1-10 matches to every one good one. And for those hundred matches it's about 15 minutes of painfully boring waiting to get back to something actually good.

I usually try to start a vote to change the map if the server will allow it. If it doesn't I'll be as disruptive as possible for about a minute, then declare everyone who tolerates LTS to be some reckless hyperbole, and quit out.

Y'know, I actually like LTS. It arguably rewards smart gameplay more than the modes. Sure the game can be janky and get you killed for no reason sometimes. The caveat is that most players are morons who will all try to rush one guy, sometimes forcing you to square off against 5 guys at once, usually resulting in your death. Yeah it can be a nuisance waiting a couple of minutes for the next round to start, but its not really the end of the world.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

The only thing that makes me rage in this game is an FFA archer that doesn't kill me. Like if I'm facing off against someone and we are battling and then as I go to parry I get winged in the back for little HP but it breaks my parry and then there goes my head. They don't get the kill and they don't get assist points. Makes me mad.

This here is the entire reason to play archer. Short bow it up to get maximum projectiles, I guess rock sling might work too but I kinda suck with it. Bathe in the sweet sweet tears :qq:

Edit: If you're lucky you might even get a few kills.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just started running around as a knight with the grand mace :stare: This thing loving owns. It's got a kinda long windup that really throws dudes off. Pair that with a Norse sword secondary and some throwing axes you'll be killing dudes all over.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

You say this, but poking horrifically wounded people in the middle of a melee in the rear end as a man-at-arms can be quite profitable.

:thejoke: poke them in the rear end

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

Has anyone retextured Argon to look like the Burger King yet?

If someone does this, Malric needs to be Ronald McDonald.

Chivalry: Burger Warfare

I'm imagining a total mod here, fry guys, the kids from the bk kids club (is that still a thing?) Archers shooting French fries. This needs to happen.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 6, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My new favorite thing to do is enter a FFA "duel" server, chuck a firepot a group of dudes waiting to duel, spam laugh and promptly quit.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The best way to pay FFA is a an MAA. Throw fire pot into a crowd, whip out your fists and explode heads. Call anyone who doesn't fight you with their fists a coward in chat.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Awesome, I can make a nauseating pink and green dude for FFA.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Glad to see the hatchet still owns. So far, the server chat is fell of a bunch of people complaining about the customization options making it hard to tell which side a player is on. Why don't they just learn the character models, they all look pretty unique anyway.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Running around as a pink and green, firepot and hatchet toting MAA on low grav FFA is awesome. All while spamming help as you murder everybody.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Archers rule, especially in FFA. Yesterday, there was a dude running around as a Claymore vanguard, totally mopping up all the kills. There were 2 archers and the dude predictably started complaining about there being too many archers. That lead a bunch of us switching to archers and singling him out. The next round almost everyone went archers with slings. Surprising, the guy didn't rage quit.

Edit: I've also taken to having an honorable brotherhood with dudes that are pink in FFA. I consider them part of team pink. The completing in chat is awesome. Surprisingly, most people didn't really care and told those comparing to shut up and deal with it.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 14, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
pfff. look at you scrubs can't even commit to full on obnoxious pink and green with orange trim. :gay:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Griz posted:

Is that default armor? Checkers/stripes is way better

Probably. They don't offer a field full of pink beauty. Plus the butterfly is the best crest(?) to go along with the pink...unless you're a MAA, then the firepot is the only reasonable choice.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I think you're misunderstanding what a parry is. It's a redirection of an incoming attack. For some reason, the course to animate this as the weapon recoiling back towards the attacker which is inappropriate. My guess it's they simply didn't animate 2 different modes for having an attack blocked. Realistically, a knife or just about anything else could redirect an incoming attack. As to how long it could maintain this is questionable, but it's not like this game is terribly realistic anyway.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I was mildly interested until they said "Spike's Deadliest Warrior". No the community is already racist, homophobic, and mysoginist enough already, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Is there a way to report or deal with cheaters/hackers other than votekick? a dude named Ivan P was blatantly speedcheating but the server I was on had disabled votekick.

You might be able to do something via stream. Not really sure though.

I've been playing a bit after the latest patch, and there's some really wonky poo poo, the hit detection seems really spotty right now. Also the MAA dodge is kinda hosed, it works the way it's supposed to, but the camera sometimes freaks the gently caress out in first person like it'll run into/clip through the ground during the dodge. It's really disorienting and keeps getting me killed. Not really the end of the world cause it's just a video game but it's slightly obnoxious...Not even enough to make me stop playing though.

• Locked thread