Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

-Keep Itachi as a bad guy. He was a horrifying villain, a million miles stronger than almost every character. His motivation was simple in that he wanted the EMS and to test his power. He felt like the standard the rest had to live up to, someone from the "new generation" that was on par with the Kages and Sannin, and the illusion based nature of his fighting was really cool. They could have had Sasuke still beat him, maybe using his Orochimaru powers giving him the edge but losing them at the end so that Sasuke wasn't stronger than him at the end (like Ichigo in bleach and his hollow abilities giving him equal footing with Byakuya)

Am I the only one who thought that from the first time we heard the story about why Sasuke wanted to kill Itachi, that it was pretty obvious Itachi wasn't a total bad guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

KittyEmpress posted:

No, when I first heard the story, my brain instantly went to 'why did he do that. There was probably a reason.' Because up until then, all the badguys had motivations besides 'lol kill everyone' (Except maybe Zabuza, I don't remember his motivations.)

Zabuza wasn't really evil. He was just hired to to a job. Soon as he lost a the reason to continue fighting Kakashi he stopped(and then killed the ever living poo poo out of the real villains)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I don't agree that Itachi's secret non-villainy wrecks his previous place in the story to the same degree that 4th Hokage Dad does.

Naruto being the heir to not one but two brilliant geniuses undermines pretty much everything he's been since day one and huge portions of the story that were about bloodline not mattering and seizing the destiny you want. Regardless of the revelation of alternative motives behind the actions, Itachi still did murder his entire family. He still did present the image of an invincible monster, he still did say things to Sasuke intended to influence his behavior. Itachi having pure motives doesn't undo actual events, which were the actual impetus for Sasuke's character changes and conflicts. Naruto being the son of the greatest ninja of all time does completely undo his character changes and conflicts because those changes and conflicts were rooted in overcoming his own mediocrity, which now never existed.

Now, you can argue that the changes Sasuke went through AFTER the reveal were bad form for the character, but it doesn't undermine anything that came before. Where as Naruto being the 4th's son all along is basically saying that his fight with Neji was a gigantic lie. So it's not really the same at all.

How so?

The series was never about bloodlines not mattering(Or has been hypocritical about it since the start)

Naruto has always had a built in advantage because of the Kyuubi being able to funnel him chakra. It's the only reason he beat Neji Everyone he beats in the series besides maybe Kiba, and honestly he's not learning Kage Bunshin in that one night without having the infinite chakra from Kyuubi anyway.

Naruto was and is a genius, he just was a man made one. Even if the 4th wasn't his father he would still be better simply because of the time and place he was born.

Naruto was telling Neji that people aren't stuck in a certain destiny just because of where they are at now. Just because he was born in the branch family doesn't mean he has to give up hope and just be angry.

The only person who preached Hard Work over Genius in this series has been Lee, and he gets his rear end kicked.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Elfgames posted:

This is bull, Naruto has worked harder than anyone in this series except maybe Rock Lee. He was shown training to the point of absolute exhaustion multiple times, with tree climbing, and rasengan, and even with his elemental manipulation when he did the clone training that's him doing 1000 times the raining all at once remember that all the pain and exhaustion from those clones does affect his real body. He is absolutely hard work guy.

Honestly Neji probably worked harder than anyone in the series.

Neji literally taught himself his clans ultimate techniques, without any help from anyone else(I mean I guess he had TenTen to throw stuff at him).

Naruto had Jiraiya and Kakashi to teach him. As well as the ability to look both right and left at the same time. Neji didn't have any help what so ever in learning how to use his clans abilities, and managed to master his clan's ultimate at a very young age.

Which is why Lee's Hardwork over Genius schtick is even more hilarious as Neji pretty obviously puts in just as much work as he does.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 22, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The forehead tap was to bring back the thing that Itachi did to Sasuke when they were young.

Itachi could have implanted the spell to burn Tobi when Sasuke saw him any time Sasuke was in his genjutsu.

Sasuke's Mangekyo is his own. The Amateseru that Tobi almost got hit with was a spell that Itachi cast. Like the spell he put in Naruto to counter sharingan genjutsu's.

Sasuke after finding out about Itachi's true history realized that everything had done was for nothing. He killed the only person in the world who truely cared about him (Hence him getting the Mangekyo after finding out.) Madara used that to slip him enough bullshit to get him to act how Madara wanted him to act.

Sasuke's true test come s after he gets the info dump from the Hokage's.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 22, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I always figured that Kage Bunshin didn't require any control. So Naruto was able to just dump chakra into it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

You can rationalize this as Jiraiya putting Naruto through a lot of meditation training designed to prepare him for Sage Mode. Remember, pre-skip Naruto was pretty ADHD.

That and Naruto came back much better at using Clones in ways other than "rush enemy".

Jiraiya taught Naruto better fundamentals, and was going to teach him how to use the Kyuubi's power more, however he probably realized that if Naruto got too far there was no way to stop him(as was shown when Jiraiya's poo poo got kicked in by Naruto at 3 or 4 tails) so he probably just toned down the training after that.

Kakashi had the luxury of having Yamato around.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Any one can use any amount of elemental jutsu. They just have one they are an affinity to.

Kakashi has used 4

Lightning
Earth
Water
Fire

The bloodlines come in to play when you want to combine elements in one attack. To make something new.

Haku, Water/Wind = Ice
First, Water/Earth = Wood
Fire, Earth = Lava

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh. The story is and has always been about Naruto and Sasuke's journey.

For a world this side characters are extremely necessary otherwise it makes no sense. That was one of the problems I had with early Naruto, besides the Sand there was no representation from any of the other villages.

The difference between Naruto and Bleach is almost every side character has had his own story arc during the course of the series. Pretty much down to the 3rd tier of characters with names all have a story that they have resolved in one way or another.

The main problem is that right now the stage is just to large for any of the Rookie 9 + Team Gai, who don't have a ability that isn't completely reliant on power(Shikamaru, Ino). The only one who power wise can even approach this level is Chouji and Lee(Gates).

Madara is literally someone who just soloed 5 Kage's just a bit ago. It would make no sense for them to suddenly have the power to fight at this level. Obito is able to freely move between dimensions and is pretty much invulnerable to damage.

The Problem with the side characters he made is that he made them very early on and their moveset when battles were still small scale, and didn't plan out how they would scale(not very well besides Chouji, and Lee(Gates)).

If you notice the people who got the cool fights are the people who can fight while not relying on power, or People with the power to fight on that level.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Thoren posted:

The story is still about Sasuke and Naruto's journey (Seeya, Sakura!) but it jumps around in terms of perspective in order stuff all these characters into the plot. It doesn't really do the story any favors since all it does is make it glaringly obvious that the author is picking and choosing which characters get to keep up with the power creep and new bad guy developments. The result is a huge cast of characters that get the promise of development and panel time early in the story, but never receive it. Then you have new characters thought up by the author who get a bit too much panel time, and then they're dropped off to that lovely "insignificant side-protagonist" role.

A fictional universe doesn't have to reveal the entire world right away. It made sense not to do that early on in Naruto since they were just kids being trained. They had no idea what the world contained and neither did the reader. It was hinged closely to their experiences. And then when the Chuunin exam started, we started getting introduced to all these other characters, just like the protagonists were introduced to them. That's why that arc is still considered one of the best.

If the perspective had stuck with the Team 7 characters discovering these new places and meeting the characters, it would have worked fine.

What you're describing with the power creep leaving behind certain characters only shows how those characters have become a casualty of a story that tries to focus on too much. The whole moveset thing isn't limiting, they can always be expanded upon. Still, Kishimoto has to write down characters like Deidara, who could have just bombed the hell out of the entire war, or Madara, who could be launching meteors onto the army right now.

Lets be real Sakura was never important even early on, Hey Sakura stand there and guard Tazuna instead of joining the real men fighting. She was always in that second tier of side characters

The Series isn't focused on much at all. This entire story is almost always focused on Naruto or Sasuke's POV.

Only other people who have ever had the POV for more than like a chapter when they aren't in a fight, Jiraiya, Shikamaru, Kakashi, and the various villains in their lairs.

The story has only been focusing on 3 things at any given point of time in the entire series past the Chunin Exam(And these things often overlapped). Naruto vs Akatsuki/Madara, Naruto vs Sasuke, Sasuke vs His clan's past. And for the most part all of those stories have converged into one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever counted the number of named characters in Naruto/Bleach/One Piece. Character bloat is probably one of the more common complaints I've read about Naruto/Bleach, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if One Piece had the biggest number of characters of them all, and hardly anyone ever complains about that in One Piece. So I don't think the number of characters is an issue, what makes it bad in Naruto and Bleach is how those characters are handled. I guess it comes down to early arc enemies from Naruto/Bleach are nothing by now, while someone who is relatively weak like Buggy from One Piece is still relevant even much later in a war between the strongest forces in the universe.

Actually all of the antagonists from Early Naruto besides Zabuza and Neji are major players right now.

Gaara is a Kazekage and can fight at that level
Orochimaru is obviously able to fight at that level
Sasuke is at that level as well.
Kabuto is at a high level as well.

All of the other antagonists are dead(unless you really want to count Kiba as an antagonist).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is sad to see how hard Hashirama tried to help Madara but he simply doesn't want help. The parallels with Naruto are more than obvious now and this just confirms that the only end is with Sasuke redeemed, therefore Naruto surpassing Hashirama in everyway.

Shame than Sasuke's story isn't as compelling as Madara's.

How is Madara's story more compelling than Sasuke's?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ChronoReverse posted:

I found it more compelling.

For one, Madara had a better and grander goal in the first place.

His friendship with Hashirama was better because they shared a dream, spent a lot more time together (without the unhealthy superiority complex Sasuke had over Naruto) and spent time building towards that dream when they were children.

The biggest problem with Naruto and Sasuke's relationship is that so much weight is put on it but really there isn't that much to it in the end. Even before this flashback, I'm sure I wasn't the only one that thought "Wow, Naruto sure places a lot of emphasis on Sasuke as HIS BEST FRIEND".

You might say "oh Sasuke saved Naruto's life and vice versa" but historically, fire-forged friendships borne in times of war tend to weaken and even be let go when the intense events that brought it about in the first place are left in the past.

I didn't say whose bond was stronger.

And between Naruto and Sasuke it's always been one-sided. Sasuke grew to repect Naruto, but never really viewed him as a friend.

Naruto views Sasuke as a friend because he represented what Naruto wanted to be as kid, and while working together (the worst thing Kishimoto did was rushing the Chunin exam after Zabuza instead of having at least one other mission to link Team 7 as a closer group. )

So their relationship is nothing like Madara's and the First's.

Madara had people close to him die, but it was a war and poo poo happens.

Sasuke literally had his hero the person he looked up to the most kill off all of his friends and family. Sold his soul to Oro to get the power nessecary to fight him And then find out that it was all planned by Konoha and he killed the only person that cared about him.

Madara has way less of a reason to be angry right now. Madara's problems could be solved via politics, if he just accepted the title of Kage he could mend relations. But nope time to genjutsu the mooooon

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ChronoReverse posted:

And all I'm saying is because Madara and Hashirama had a stronger friendship, their story is more compelling.

Madara went nuts in a big way but his dream and trauma was bigger in the first place. Sasuke, well at least his revenge is actually kinda small in comparison.

I'm not going to go into how silly the turnaround is for either though because both of them come off as trite.

Ok, I can accept that line of reasoning.

How is Madara's trauma bigger again?

Madara at least grew in in a time of war. Sasuke grew up in a time of relative Peace. He should be well acclimated with death.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AshB posted:

So I mean, if everyone in the clan has brain disease that makes their eyes' power correspond to how unstable they are, how come Itachi, the second or third most powerful known member of the clan, is completely sane?

Itachi isn't really sane.

He's just not evil.

"Hey Lets show my brother, me killing our parents for 3 straight days".

"I really hope Sasuke turns into a well adjusted person after this":shepface:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SerSpook posted:

This is pretty much it. None of the Uchiha (well, other than Sasuke) are really evil. They just have a really hosed up worldview due to their condition.

We need Ninja Therapists, and pronto.

Sasuke's not really evil.

He has legitimate reasons to be angry at Konoha right now, they forced the Uchiha into an position where they felt like they had to plan a coup, and then proceeded to force his brother to kill all of his family.

Sasuke probably is the sanest of the Uchiha we have seen so far(That's saying very little) I mean he is asking the right questions to the guys who have the answer to everything. How Sasuke reacts to knowing the truth should be interesting though.

Cause there really is no way we don't get a final Naruto vs Sasuke fight, And if Sasuke takes the right lesson from Harashima's flashback Sasuke is going to be fighting Madara, I guess the only end game for this is Sasuke goes against Madara but still hates the Leaf and what it has done.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Itachi left him in a coma that no one in Konoha could cure. He might have been in that coma until the day he died if Tsunade hadn't come back. It is really the weakest aspect of Itachi's face turn.

IIRC, Tsunade pretty much said Sasuke would have been fine in another two weeks or so. Tsunade not coming back would have hosed Lee though.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tobirama is a hypocrite, I was re reading the chapters of Danzo's fight with Sasuke and in the flahsback he appointed Sarutobi as the Third Hokage exactly like Hashirama wanted to do with Madara.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely man. Plus I would think Danzo and Tobirama would have gotten along swimmingly judging by their personalities.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 28, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AshB posted:

His power is supposed to literally be fueled by hatred, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of that going on. You could argue he hates the Uchiha, but that's being very charitable given his demeanor is nothing like that of an angry or hateful person. Everything he does is extremely calculated to protect his home rather than a motivation to destroy anything out of hatred.

It's fueled by love actually. The hatred is a side effect of having every one you love die

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AshB posted:

But he never suddenly became hateful. Not even after Shisui or his entire clan died.

He hated himself enough to commit assisted Suicide.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah and we've known for a while that Jiraya had a spy in akatsuki for some time. I actually thought this had been explicitly mentioned but apparently not. The writing is on the wall though.

It was mentioned in a Databook IIRC

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Art, Animation, Time

Pick 2.

Hint: For weekly shonen episodes time is always picked.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

No, this is loving stupid: http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/627/15. We're definitely trapped in an infinite genjutsu right now. Naruto's ridiculous battlefield powerup, Karin's battered wife syndrome, people being happy to see Orochimaru. No seriously, the Third and his goddamned tortured experiments in Taka should be 150% pissed right now and trying to kill him. For reals, though, this looks exactly like what I imagine a mind-controlled world looks like. At this rate, the next chapter for this and Springtime of Youth will be the same.

The third still had a soft spot for Orichimaru even back during the attack. So a reformed Orochi is something he is totally fine with leaving it be.

Juugo is loyal to Sasuke because Kimimaro believed in him. He will agree with whatever Sasuke does.

Suigetsu doesn't really have any motivation.

Karen probably couldn't do anything even if she was angry. Plus she was in charge of one of the facilities that Orochi ran IIRC. She should be pissed at Sasuke for the whole stabbing her thing. Not Orochimaru.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 10, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Jugo has the least personality of anyone in this entire manga (and that's saying something) so him having any original thought would be hilariously out of "character".

Tenten. But yeah.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Robviously posted:

You mean it's not?

In actual comic chat though, Was it a terrible translation error or was the fact that Karin is an Uzumaki kind of glossed over for being sort of a big detail? At least I can see it being a bit deal. A clan that basically made the tailed beasts their bitch is now gonna be heading to where the omega-beast is currently wrecking poo poo up. I mean Naruto and female characters etc but it'd be kind of a neat little foreshadowing given how that point has been kind of important in the past.

Its not that important. I think he said it in a Databook like right after she was introduced.

Uzumaki's can't help but to chase after Sasuke. It's genetics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Still don't understand why anyone would ever trust Orochimaru again. He's quite literally a snake. Also, someone needs to get Karin a psychologist because there's no way she's not going to stab either Naruto or Sasuke at some point.

Every Ninja in this series could use a psycologist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Veg posted:

Ohhh shiiit amazing issue and a double issue in 2 weeks! Yes!

Double issue doesn't mean what you think it does.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Is this WSJ wide or just Naruto?

Wsj I think

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

"yeah he stabbed me in the back too...but here I am anyway...I suggest you just go with the flow as well"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Breaky posted:

Probably has more to do with the fact there's 6-8 people around right now that could gently caress up Orochimaru in a heartbeat if he tried something. He's still strong and all but he wouldn't stand a chance against most of the current zombies alive or Naruto / Sasuke / probably Tsunade or Bee etc.

With his arms he would wreck Tsunade.

He was able to fight Tsunade and Jiraiya(albeit weakened with no arms).

Orichimaru will decimate physical damage opponents due to his skill set.

He and the 4th are equal. If he not a bit stronger.

His problem is that he fucks with the clan that can counter his move set by just using genjutsu

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 11, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Death Bot posted:

Orochimaru stands solemnly in front of two headstones, shaking, weeping.

Jiraiya could fight on that level.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sasuke hasn't had any of his own agency between his fight with Itachi and him meeting up with Zombie Itachi.

The only reason he didn't go back to Konoha after killing Itachi is pretty much because Tobi/Madara lied to him and gave him a reason to hate Konoha by telling him the "truth". Which filled in enough of the holes in information that Sasuke had that he believed it.

And then Tobi/Madara proceeded to put Sasuke in enough fights(with Zetsu just funneling chakra to him so he had functionally infinite) where he had to spam his Sharingan to accelerate the rate at which Sasuke went blind and insane.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Wrong Kishimoto twin.

Edit: Looking at the wikipedia artice on Blazer Drive

Write what you know, huh?

666 Satan was incredibly similar to Naruto.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

...Wow. This really isn't a shonen manga, is it? It kind of feels like Kishimoto is shouting, "Look how edgy I can be!" Killing off the eponymous character in what I'd assumed was intended as a pilot was a kind of clever twist, though.

Shindragon posted:

That wasn't that good. Kishi should stick to shounen. This just scream I"m edgy all over

onii posted:

It just seemed like really generic mafia poo poo that we've already seen in countless mafia movies. Character development wasn't that great either. And the random suicide at the end was weird. Like, he saves the cute girl (who seems to like him back) but then he's like "gently caress it" and shoots himself? Wow, what a twist. :ughh: Yeah, stick to shounen.

Guys. He wrote this story 15 years ago. There is probably poo poo that you wrote that long ago that isn't of the highest quality.

He's only just now drawing it.

I like the Idea and the setting. I don't know if Kishimoto could pull it off in a serialized format, but I still liked it.

And this still is very much Shonen, Young to Teenage Boys are the types that would eat that style of manga up. It's not really any heavier than poo poo that has happened in Naruto, only difference is that the setting is more grounded.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 30, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Terper posted:

I was being sarcastic. :ssh: Konoha doesn't use children in war, not anymore.

Konohamaru did end up fighting a Pain body though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So was there a point to the Kages standing on their own statue heads? Or did they post for a second and then Minato was like "Guys, we actually really need to get going." Maybe they misunderstood where the war was.

So the first could show off and give a speech.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ahh so Minato's gift to Naruto is probably going to be the second half of the Kyuubi

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

It never really occurred to me until now, they are the disciples of the 3 legendary sannin.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bisse posted:

This whole thing just reads like taking the least-effort path to wrapping this series up, writing wise. Sasuke's back! Give everyone a reaction shot and that should cover the 're-introduction after like forever' part. Oh and he's good now so I don't have to do any complicated or unorthodox solution between him and well anyone. And everyone can just react in half a page and then nod their head and that should cover the 'react to sasuke doing a 100% reversal' part.

Basically what i'm saying is this part has been built up for several years and was kind of the entire point of Sasuke's arc and now it's been flushed down the drain in like a few pages. Good show.

Oh and everyone is busting out powerups left and right because, well because they are just shut up and read my beautiful ninja trainwreck

No one has busted out a power-up out of nowhere. Sasuke issue was resolved kinda quickly then again the only thing keeping him from returning to Konoha after killing Itachi was Madara lying his rear end off to him. Once Sasuke had the truth it's pretty dumb for him to keep his grudge.

Plus keep in Mind it would be quite easy for Madara to say during any chapter "BTW I sharinganed the moon like 50 chapters ago, Sasuke is still evil and you all are caught in my genjutsu"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gyges posted:

Don't be silly. Naruto will solve that conflict like he solves every unsolvable problem. They each get a clone and he's got two kids!

It'like looking both left and right at the same time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bisse posted:

Sakura (of all people): Oh by the way I have a hidden super mode (that i never used before) (because if I didnt have one there'd be no chance I can join the fight and author wants a symbolic reunion of Team 7)
The 4th: *enters sage mode*

I like the way Sakura said she'd also been trained by a sannin (sp?) like a kid that also wants to hang out with the cool kids. I bet everyone was like 'aww how adorable, ok sakura, you can have your cute little mode.'

This stage is the one stage that Sakura isn't useless on. Slow moving giant things she can punch.

1v1 fights she doesn't have the speed needed to be effective. This style of fight is in her wheelhouse.

If it weren't for Susanoo Sasuke would be less useful than her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Triple Elation posted:

No, he's a dick for leading her on for all this time and not giving her a straight answer. This has been true since after the Pain arc, but people learned to suspend their disbelief and live with it because it's not a romance manga and there were more important things that needed to happen etc etc. But that last chapter isn't a lazy/selective storytelling thing anymore, Kishi literally went out of his way to keep on doing whatever it is that he's been doing with Sakura vs. Hinata that he clearly thinks is so incredibly clever. It's really only in those terms that I can make any sense of anything any more on that front.

:goonsay:

• Locked thread