Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Kira's abilities manifest as a way for him to protect himself just due to how much he doesn't want to get caught. It does get silly when he breaks out an invincible heat seeking bomb and the ability to rewind time, but dang if it's not cool.

How Another One Bites The Dust works exactly still confuses me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It seems to work two ways over the course of the manga.

1. Originally, Bites the Dust attaches itself to Hayato, which causes Killer Queen to no longer be summonable by Kira unless he retracts it. For as long as Kira leaves Killer Queen on a non-Stand using target, anyone who gets information about his identity from that target is blown up and killed. Time is then reset to the morning of that day/time of the implant of Bites the Dust(?). Any deaths that occurred before the reset are destined to happen and cannot be prevented even if the person Bites the Dust is attached to does things differently. The only way to prevent these deaths would be to have Kira withdraw Killer Queen from whomever he has implanted it into, canceling out Bites the Dust's effect. Additionally, only the person that Killer Queen is attached to retains memories of before the reset.

2. Kira can implant Bites the Dust in himself and tell everyone who he is, blowing them up and sending him back in time. He retains his memories of before the reset.

ASB seems to combine both of these aspects of his skill.

Okay this makes a lot more sense, thank you! I was confused on what happened to those who Bites the Dust killed and what all carried over to the restart. Gotta read the last two volumes of Part 4 now that they're not duwang-ed, that woulda helped

Waffleman_ posted:

Kill da bitch!

Act 3 owned.

Act 3 freezing Sheer Heart Attack was great, but Koichi almost crushing a person under an Act 3 Freeze weighted object as interrogation method might better.

And then Josuke comes crashing through the window on a motorcycle

Part 4 owns

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think a lot of the fun of Part 4 comes from the Araki going a bit hogwild on what Stands can do. Unlike Star Platnium's ability of stopping time and punching things real good, Crazy Diamond can "return things to their original state" which is used really well when Josuke needs to do things like track a murderer or find out why Okuyasu's stomach just exploded.

Stands can now do all sorts of crazy things, not just things that hurt the other guy like place sound effects, make really good food, swap faces or be a giant transmission tower that imprisons you for life. The possibilities are endless!

It also saddens me greatly that Yukako's Stand, Love Deluxe was never used after it's first appearance because that is a fantastic name and a Stand that is just hair is a pretty sweet ability

Also, Josuke is the best JoJo

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
drat, Josuke's hips

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Midler and High Priestess are crazy in the Part 3 fighter so yeah High Priestess owns. With Kakyoin and Polnareff's rad handshake too, that's gonna be a fun episode.

I wonder if they're gonna show Midler this time now that she has an actual design or if they're gonna keep with her being a body the crew goes to check on only to see her teeth smashed in.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was also hoping that High Priestess would take one episode and next episode could introduce Iggy and N'Doul and end with Kakyoin getting his eyes obliterated, but oh well. The Suzie Q stuff with Holly is pretty cute if I recall correctly so should be good.

I just wanna see gross realistic dog Iggy at the end of the episode.

E: I forget, does Avdol actually do anything until DIO's manor? I don't remember him fighting any Egyptian God Stand except for his and Joseph Bast affair? At least when Kakyoin comes back, he loses at video games and gets gut punched.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 29, 2014

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The tradeoff of getting Avdol and Iggy and then losing Kakyoin was weird. I guess Araki wanted somebody out

I remembered Kenny G, that's where Avdol uses his LIFE SENSING FLAME and then gets chumped by Vanilla Ice. I always forget Hol Horse and Boingo because that fight is just silly. First time I read the orginal Oingo Boingo fight, I was slightly buzzed and man I could not stop giggling

Let's see who can eat these oranges the fastest and put the most cigerates in their mouth

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 30, 2014

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Diamond Is Not Crash: Okuyasu

I don't even remember how this was explained. I'm gonna just believe Tonio's food made Okuyasu healthy enough to withstand explosions.

Also, Part 6 does it for a whole fight if you count Limp Bizkit, the one who lurks in the dark, with the ability to create invisible zombies.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

okayasu got exploded so loving hard his soul just assumed it was over and didnt even wait to actually die before going to the afterlife

FirstAidKite posted:

Like I said before, I'm pretty damned sure Okuyasu was just too stupid to die. Dude only ever followed what his brother did and when it came time to die he didn't know what the hell to do so he just kinda stumbled back into being alive cause he's kinda dumb at this whole "dying" thing.

It's kinda like how Bruno was too rad to die but instead of rad he was just too dumb.

Wow. Part 4's great.

Okuyasu Nijimura's not too smart ya know!

e: Folks in the anime thread talking about lasting injuries and I'm just thinking about N'Doul

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 30, 2014

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sometimes I forget about Bast and then I wonder how I'm a JoJo fan.

Also, I've started going down the slippery slope of JoJo figures and I don't think I'm gonna get out okay. It started with getting Crazy Diamond. Then I realized....I could have figures all of my favorite characters and Stands...

Word of advice, don't start buying JoJo figures unless you can toss money around like it's nothing, you have an iron will, or you somehow only have one favorite character/Stand.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ah yes, Kakyoin's Stand, Green Character

I have yet to find any good looking Green Character figures actually. Part 3 anime made me realize that I want a Hierophant Green lava lamp.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Some of the JoJo merchandise is crazy. Like I'm pretty sure there are Sticky Fingers pencil cases. There's those JoJo's converse that like really slick that I'd love to own. There's a Kira figure where one of the little add-ons is him holding a "sandwich" bag and that's wonderful.

I know for a fact there's a tie you can buy that's a replica of Kira's tie and has the Killer Queen skulls on it and it's basically the sickest thing ever. It's like $100+ and I want it so bad despite knowing it will clash with every piece of formal wear I own.

But it's just fun to collect cool figures of things you like. And since JoJo stuff already has sick designs, it's even better. I really want a Soft & Wet figure because I love it's design but I'm not even at Part 8 yet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My biggest hope for Part 4 anime is that it causes a resurgence of Part 4 merchandise cause I will buy all of it.

trucutru posted:

You know what doesn't class with that tie?

yeah.

Just wait for the inevitable suit and you're done.

Oh my gosh

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay, but seriously, where the gently caress is Mickey?!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Butt Ghost posted:

I would very much like to read Golden Duwang, yes.

Just put Kira's Mona Lisa boner speech over Bruno's Taste of a Liar scene and you're good.

Man, Part 5 had some really great ideas. I'm tempted to call it Part 3 2.0 with much cooler Stands. It was kind of a slog at times but I can never hate Bruno or a Stand named Notorious B.I.G.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I remember thinking Sex Pistols was gonna be a lame Hol Horse, but it used way more and in cooler ways. Mista was a cool guy.

Also Sex Pistols #5 pulling a Speedwagon when Bruno was unzipping himself was great

FirstAidKite posted:

The best part about part 5's fights are that they often incorporate 2 stand users at once as a means to shake things up instead of just having 1 stand user.

This was great, having a group of Stand users be remotely organized. The Illusio fight had like three people and I recall both Bruno and Mista working in tandem vs Grateful Dead and Beach Boy. It definitely made them more interesting. Does that happen more in Part 7/8?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 5 has some good ideas and is fun to read at times (It's got dudes unzipping themselves and vomiting scissors), but it's kind of a mess in it's current state and I wouldn't read it again until a re translation.

Diavolo has wonderful hair though so Part 5 has it's merits

I really want a physical compilation of Part 4 though, I'd read that every goddamn day.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

This and Limp Bizkit is what sold me on the fact that I should probably start reading JoJo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
God I forgot Limp Bizkit's user was named Sports Maxx.

JoJo is great.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nahxela posted:

Valentine was fighting for the United States of America :911:

Excuse you, the United States of Valentine. Valentine fought to create a better life for his son, Funnier Valentine, and grandson, Funniest Valentine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

I have never felt more inadequate.

fake edit: In lieu of finishing Part 6, I started reading Purple Haze Feedback and I'm really enjoying it. A plethora of interesting (all Jimi Hendrix) Stands and it's pretty cool that JoJo translated to a novel form rather well. It's also making me care about Passione characters that aren't Bruno so that's impressive.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There was more than one arc in Part 4 that existed just because Josuke wanted $$$ to buy a new pair of shoes or pants or whatever. I don't know how well people are gonna like waiting a week only for the episode to be Josuke and Okuyasu goofing around town, but I hope the reaction is good.

Part 4 also has an arc dedicated to Josuke and Jotaro shooting rats that can turn people into flesh puddles with steel balls so Part 4 is great.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Beef Waifu posted:

This is the reason why Part 4 is the best.

The reasons of why Part 4 is great are many. One of my personal favorites is Rohan eating a spider in his first appearance so he can perfectly encapsulate all facets of a spider to be able to draw it

Potsticker posted:

I wonder if David is going to turn that character into a midget after he's defeated as well.

This happens not only once, but twice. So humbled by a defeat you shrink from six feet to barely three.

Waffleman_ posted:

How did people like waiting a week only for the chapter to be Josuke and Okuyasu goofing around town?

Good point. I don't know how you people caught up with JoJo do it now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Potsticker posted:

Was it the creepy puppet guy who also shrank? Koichi himself became a midget from his first appearance too iirc. Part 4: Midget is not Crash

Yep, he had Surface which was just a wooden puppet that hangs out in his locker.

Aurain posted:

Someone wants me to write an article about JoJo for them for their site, a kind of welcome to JoJo thing. What image from parts 1-3 (up to where the anime is at) is the most "JoJo" in you guys opinions?

e: VVV This was my initial thought too, and it was always guaranteed a special section of its own.

From Part 3, I feel LET'S GO! is pretty critical and a Kakyoin ReroRero image/gif is manadatory

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 12, 2014

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SALT CURES HAM posted:

According to Jorge Joestar, at one point the town of Morioh sprouts legs and walks around. There's also an army of Karses on the moon because, while each universe reset creates a new Kars, it doesn't delete the last one.

Can't forget Funny Valentine's son and grandson, Funnier Valentine and Funniest Valentine.

Jorge Joestar is just dumb.

Boogaleeboo posted:

e: Purple Haze Feedback really the only one worth a drat.

Just finished Purple Haze Feedback and it was really good. Please read that. I tried to read Dead Man's Questions which is about Kira being a Ghost Detective, but I kinda fell off it. May try to get back into it or try and finish Part 6 for like the third time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't see how your first sentence leads to the second.

Jorge Joestar is dumb as hell in the best way. poo poo like Funniest Valentine and 37 Cars on Mars is amazing, but yo it's dumb. I wanna read that and Over Heaven one day

Torquemadras posted:

Finished with Part 5 now. I'll just start with the obvious thing that absolutely everyone will have heard a billion times already:

What the gently caress was up with King Crimson?

I gathered it works like this: King Crimson constantly sees ten seconds into the future, and if he doesn't like what's happening there, he goes "NOPE" and starts evading. However, during those ten seconds, everything else continues as if King Crimson hadn't seen the future... only at the end, King Crimson erases that time so that nobody remembers, and kinda merges himself back into the regular timestream. Meaning he can do whatever he wants while everything happens normally - he stays in the equation, while simultaneously telling the equation to go gently caress itself and doing his own thing.

What I don't get is how he could kill Narancia. Previously, King Crimson only removed himself from the "equation" - he moves just to the exact spot to deliver a devastating surprise attack, he flicks his own blood into people's faces, he deletes the exact time that a bullet spends travelling through his body... Basically exactly like Dio's The World, only much, much better defensively. Goddammit, and just when I thought I understood that Stand! :mad:

The zips of Part 5 I downloaded had three different explanations for how King Crimson worked and eventually I just stopped caring. My biggest question is why is it so mad. King Crimson is constantly gritting it's teeth. What's bugging ya, dude?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

I think it was said somewhere that if you weren't strong enough to have a stand, you would be killed by the arrow. I'd guess what determines whether or not you're strong enough is whether or not you can survive the injury inflicted upon you and Koichi definitely did survive that ordeal, even if he did have some outside help.

Josuke healing Koichi sorta cheated the system. Koichi woulda died because he didn't have the [ FIGHTING SPIRIT ] needed to be able to use a Stand. It's why Echoes is just an egg when Koichi summons it against Bad Company and he had to ask Josuke how to summon a Stand to just do that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Josuke's a pretty cool JoJo. Not a lot of development with him, he just hangs out with his friends, makes $$$ and punches people who are jerks.

His Stand is also super cool with a good color palette

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oingo Boingo fight is great because the tension comes from who can eat oranges the fastest and who can fit the most cigarettes in their mouth.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Only late Part 3 fight that doesn't completely own bones is the Anubis fight because I felt it really dragged. Maybe I was wrong though! David Production will lemme know

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I felt like when it got to Evil Polnareff, it was starting to over stay it's welcome, but I read Part 3 like over a year ago so I could be totally wrong. All the later Part 3 fights are amazing though.

The Gamer fight lasted like fifteen chapters, but it holds a special place in my heart because Kakyoin talks poo poo about how he's pretty good at games only to lose.

And Star Platnium playing baseball

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The sad thing about this is that Kakyoin was pretty awesome before they got to Egypt.

Then he gets his eyes slashed by N'Dour, disappears for most of the arc, returns at the end only to lose to D'arby Jr., and then gets killed by DIO.

It's real sad to me since Kakyoin was my favorite Stardust Crusader. He plays off Jotaro and Polly pretty well and is generally pretty competent, but once they get to Egypt, dude gets chumped by every fight he's in.

At least he was able to learn the secret of DIO'S WORLD with a 20 meter Emerald Splash

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Ok: If DIO sucked your dick during the time stop you probably wouldn't even notice except your dick would have a friction burn or something after the fact but your nerve endings probably wouldn't respond during the time stop. But if King Crimson sucks your dick during the time skip he can make you cum and you don't remember?

God bless you.

Please use this analogy to explain to me what happens during Kira's Another One Bites The Dust

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Bites the Dust isn't actually complicated it's just long:

Thank you for this, I knew Kira used it as a way to keep Hayato quiet, but never sure why a time loop was needed. I read the end of Part 4 when it was still Duwang-ed, so I should probably re-read it. I do remember the only way for Hayato to beat Bites the Dust was to get Kira to retract it in order to defend himself with Killer Queen

vvv - Thank you, this was also helpful. This is a handy analogy.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 8, 2014

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

This is a pretty cool shot.

JoJo had a good amount of horror traits when it started, and while it never really lost them, it's cool to see them come back every so often.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo's got motherfuckers named Speedwagon, Vanilla Ice and Limp Bizkit, so please respect the serious narrative of the esteemed manga book that is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Maybe I'm just bad at reading mangas, but sometimes I just skim actions scenes I don't quite get. and wait for Speedwagon or those who fill his role later to explain to me what just happened.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pomp posted:

Please don't make fun of FF, I really like her and you're making me upset :saddowns:

F.F is cute and she's just drinking a Big Gulp in some scenes and that's pretty cute. F.F is good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I have almost no doubts that's fake, but I just want Speedwagon in ASB so I can play as the best JoJo character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love how the first time Jotaro encounters Josuke's Crazy Diamond, it establishes something stronger than Star Platnium. I believe he says if he couldn't stop time, Josuke woulda slugged him. And all through Part 4, Jotaro is sufficiently neutered. Mostly because he can only stop time for five seconds and the fact most of the Stands he fights are long range and one's an indestructible seeking bomb.

I was kinda worried when I first saw Jotaro in Part 4 that a lot of fights would be ORA'ed away, but nope. Jotaro acts more of a mentor to Josuke and Koichi and only contributes a bit. Jotaro's a fun protagonist in Part 3, but I'm glad he was toned down in 4.

• Locked thread