Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OxeHunden posted:

One Piece I tried both. Back in the day I got the US shonen jump and read it for about a year in that. Then a couple of years later I thought I'd give the anime a shot but couldn't get past the first 15 or so episodes. I'll give Legend of Galactic Heroes a go. It's one of those things that's always been at the back of my mind but never got around to actually watch. I'd kinda forgotten about FMA tho I completed the first FMA and was ok with it so Brotherhood is a good suggestion.

Have the battle angel alita mangas and enjoyed the first series but fell off Last order after a couple of tp's (viz manga?). Have just re-read Lone Wolf and Cub and might pick up Samurai Executioner and Path Of the Assassin as well. So yeah, I'm all over the place in genres :)

Thanks for the suggestions, it gave me something to look for.

Have you given Gundam 00 a try? I know you mentioned a few others, but it seemed absent from the list. The second season's not that great, but the first is really well written and ties up most of its plotlines so it can be enjoyed without absolutely having to watch the second. Mushi-Shi is another show you might enjoy. Each episode is like a little stand-alone Ghibli movie, and they're all wonderful.

As to manga, Blame! and it's spiritual sequel Biomega are both really good cyberpunk series if you want something along the lines of Battle Angel Alita. Volume 1 of Blame! is loving hard to find nowadays, but it doesn't really add anything to the story and can be skipped.

I also note a disturbing lack of Azumanga Daioh in that list of anime. You should fix that promptly. :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OxeHunden posted:

Hmm I don't think I tried OO, I think a buddy of mine has it so will ask him. Worst that could happen is I don't like it :) Mushi-shi, I think I've seen the manga around but haven't picked it up. Just watched a fan-made trailer on youtube and it looks very well done. Will definitely check this one out.

I did watch the first episodes of Azu-manga but never got around to continue it. It was funny enough so if someone around me has it I'll give it another go.

The list I posted wasn't a complete list of what I've watched, it was more of a guide line to what I liked/didn't like but so far some great suggestions have come from all and I am getting my indoor easter sorted I think :) thank you everyone.

On the mangas, can you go directly to biomega and skip blame?

Yes you can, it's a sequel in spirit rather than an actual one. Just has a similar main character that's very obvious if you've read Blame!

Oh, and if you want something similar to Azumanga Daioh to check out as well, have a look at Nichijou. It's only subbed, but it's very funny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zenintrude posted:

You guys recommended Haibane Renmei to me after I wrote about liking the realistic, day-to-day/slice-of-life aspects of Niea_7.

I'm 4~5 episodes into Haibane Renmei and I'm finding it to be impossibly boring and the characters completely uninteresting. There's nothing about Rakka that makes me want to know more about her even though I'm clearly supposed to be feeling invested in her integration into this strange society. It comes off similar to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village in which there hints that something is off yet people (mostly) blindly accept their situation, and much like The Village I just feel like the writer thinks it's more compelling/clever than it actually is.

That said, what else might I look into?

Time of Eve sounds like it would suite you. I know I enjoyed my time of eve.

(Thanks again for reminding me it existed, Chas McGill!)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SomniumObmutum posted:

So I've been in the mood for some balls to the wall crazy action. I finished Gurren Lagann about an hour ago, and watching that was inspired by watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and wanting more stuff in the same vein. I've had G Gundam and Redline recommended to me, and I wanted to get some ideas from another source. Hunter X Hunter is sounding like its probably going to be a thing I'll enjoy from reading what people were saying about it on the past few pages, what else can I watch that will make my jaw drop and my fist pump into the air while cheering?

ETA: I'm not really into blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore but its not completely out of the question if the associated stuff is awesome, if that helps, but what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.

Dead Leaves is an hour of solid over-the-top entertainment. Also whoever recommended Redline is correct, though you want to get the blu-ray version if you can. It's worth it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

I've been told I had a weird start to anime.

My first ever anime was the movie Redline. The style was really cool, but the story was meh.

I then proceded to watch Akira (HOLY gently caress), the Iron Man anime (does this count, I'm not sure), the first 2 Eva movies (umm, it was cool, I think, but really weird) Spirited Away (decent overall), and GITS (the original version; amazing, but short).

More recently I've watched Jormungand (it had potential but was always subpar), Gurren Lagaan (HOLY gently caress ^ HOLY gently caress), Black Lagoon (drat good, but I felt like it never really got anywhere).

I watched Cowboy Bebop only this weekend, and it really did not meet expectations. It was well done with great characters and action, but the overarching story lacked consistency between seasons and I found much of the second season to be boring. The ending also didn't meet my overblown expectation. It felt shallow and sensationalized.

Right after that, I watched Steins;Gate, and holy gently caress was I glad I did. It had a brilliant plot supported by the perfect rate of progression and an intertwined drama. Not only was each character interesting and exceptionally well defined, but their progression throughout the show in accordance to the various events was exactly what you would expect from their individual personalities.

The last anime I've watched was The Melancholy of of Haruhi Suzumiya, which felt like a more lighthearted version of Steins;Gate that focused more on the characters' interactions.

Now why have I posted all of this? Because I have no idea what to watch next. I'd like to stay away from actiony stuff (since much of what I've watched has been that) and much of the stuff that I've watched so far was at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer something with a good story, but suggestions?

E: I forgot to add Nichijou in there.

If you want something Nichijou-like (Bertilak, give Nichijou a try with your friend, they might like it), albeit a shade more grounded in reality, give Azumanga Daioh a look (the manga's a good fun read too if you can get the chunky omnibus edition). If you enjoyed Ghost in the Shell, give the series (GitS: Stand Alone Complex) a try; There's two full seasons and a movie, and they're pretty decent overall. For something more outlandish, FLCL is a good place to start - it's six-episode OVA and widely considered a classic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

So I just finished Zeta Gundam and Black Rock Shooter and I decided I need something remotely cheerful. Any suggestions for slice of life/romance series with a decent English dub? I've already seen Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star, so that's a bit of a sampling of what I enjoy.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya might suit you. Don't bother with the second season though. Also if you read manga, go get the Azumanga Daioh omnibus. It's fairly cheap and it's about 700 pages of the original 4-panel dailies, along with a few manga-style short stories. Even having watched the series, there's enough material that wasn't used in the anime to enjoy. Plus it's just a drat good read that's guaranteed to make you smile or laugh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Last Emperor posted:

I'll make sure to check those out too, At least with them being short runs I can knock them out in an evening.

I've only watched one episode of Baccano so far but it seems confusing in a good way!

Kinda helps I really haven't watched huge amounts before so there's a lot of shows I need to catch up on.

The first episode is very hectic and a mishmash of events throughout the series. From the second episode onwards, it's a lot more straightforward. It jumps between three main events scattered over three years (New York, the train robbery, and them all catching up about a year after that), but you'll never feel like you're not sure when what you're watching is taking place.

Mors Rattus posted:

As a note, go for the Baccano dub if you can get in.

The accents are great and Isaac and Miria's VAs knock it out of the park.

Their English VA's are drat-near the heart and soul of Baccano :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone give me a timeline of the Ghost in the Shell movies/series? I always thought it was GitS, GitS 2: Innocence, GitS: SAC, GitS: SAC SSS, then whatever the new movie is going to be. However, Major Kusanagi would have had to come back at the end of Innocence for that timeline to fit, or there's something in the middle that I'm missing/is out of order.

The original movies and SAC are two separate timelines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

What about Solid State Society? Where does that fit in? I'm assuming it's based on the SAC series of events.

Solid State Society comes after Second Gig.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

On another note, is it safe to assume that not one of the main characters of Baccano is sane? So far it's one crazy romp made in a style unlike anything I've seen.

Sanity is relative in that show. All you can really accept as fact is that almost every character is having a drat good time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

My only problem with the Baccano! dub is that you miss out on Caaaaarooru~.

E: I am a big, big fan of Ranma 1/2's dub.

Panty and Stocking has the same problem with its dub. It's hilarious as hell, but Scanty and Kneesocks don't roll their 'R's.

:eng101: School RrrrrRRRuuules should be obeyed, after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Where do I find anime dubs? Like legally.

If you're in Australia, Madman Entertainment streams a few of the series they've licensed on their website.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stravinsky posted:

I am looking for something that is very chill, and relaxed and melancholic. Something along the lines of these:

Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey (I love this one)
Mushishi
Serial Experiment Lain
.hack//sign (Not very good)

It can have action in it, preferable kinda muted though.

Give Time of Eve a look. It's a very serene and chill short series of six 15-minute episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KiddieGrinder posted:

Recommend me a good military anime that's somewhat down to earth and realistic. Mechas are alright but no Voltron type MEGA TRANSFORM MODE GO stuff.

I enjoyed the game Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 but never watched the anime because I don't like subtitles.

So; military (ideally WW2 or something similar?), realistic, and dubbed reasonably well.

Any ideas?

Worst case scenario I'll go with subtitles.

Thanks!

It's a stretch, but Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood might suit this. The world setting is a military state with 1930's-40's aesthetics.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love (most of) the things you listed. Code Geass doesn't give a gently caress about plausibility, it's pretty much a Greek tragedy disguised as a robot anime. The only thing I don't like about it is that the second season kind of goes off the rails and has characters behave in ways inconsistent with who they were in the first season, for the sake of drama.

The studio heads had them rush out a rewrite of everything from scratch for R2, if I remember rightly - That's why it's so disjointed. And it's such a shame too, considering Season 1 ends with what was quite possibly the mother of all cliffhangers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chocobo posted:

Is there anything out there quite like english dub of Cromartie High School? Ridiculous and consistently hilarious?

The english dub of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how realistic would you say the Tachikoma from GITS:SAC are? Mechanically speaking, not necessarily AI-wise or anything.

Not recommending anything, just curious.

Pretty realistic, it turns out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

The first episode didn't seem like a great introduction, but the second episode is quite entertaining. I'll probably keep going.

Too late, you're addicted now. You don't realise it, but you're caught in its fiendish web. And yes, the first episode isn't as good as the rest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Did the same people that did the ep of Azumanga Daioh do the ed or op for Humanity Has Declined? I can't help but think of that every time I hear it.

Had a look out of curiosity and.... turns out you're not far off the mark. Different band, but the same vocalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masumi_It%C5%8D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thunderfinger posted:

Did the people involved with Darker than Black have to sell their souls to Pizza Hut to get this anime made, because it's really distracting how much product placement there is here.

This would probably explain DtB's second season :wtc:.

Also why did no-one tell me there was a CGI Appleseed 13-episode series? Is it any good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Get the Redline bluray it is very much worth having on bluray.

This is the only way anyone should watch this movie, anything less is a disservice to your eyes :colbert:.

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone suggest something fun and lively, maybe even a bit of hot blooded action? After watching Anohana and Clannad recently I need to lay off the drama.

e: I was thinking about it, and then the phrase "angry sci-fi" popped into my head. If anyone can figure out what that means, if anything, I guess something along those lines.

Dead Leaves is 50 minutes of pure non-stop prison escape. On the Moon. By the same same director responsible for Panty and Stocking, along with the more over-the-top action scenes in FLCL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Orv posted:

Hellsing (regular, not Ultimate? OVA/TV distinctions are something I don't understand yet)

The difference is the original anime's plot diverges on a massive tangent to the manga's plot after after Luke and Jan's attack on the Hellsing estate due to that being as far as the manga had gotten when it was made. Ultimate follows the manga faithfully with each OVA being the animated version of the respective manga volume and is well worth watching.

Mercrom posted:

Time of Eve is very well made but the premise and plot are really dumb and ultimately meaningless. They even shoehorned in Asimov's idiotic laws to complete the sci-fi circle jerk.

I find it ironic you failed to understand the plot and themes of a show where the underlining theme is all about understanding one-another.

Redcrimson posted:

Try Black Lagoon. It's an anime send up to 90s anti-hero action movies. It's got guns, swearing, explosions, guns, blood, sex, organized crime, more guns, and Nazis!

Oh god yes, Black Lagoon is the anime lovechild of 80's/90's action movies (with a hell of a good Terminator 2 send-up at one point). Any word on that third season/OVA getting dubbed, incidentally?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I just binged through the first OVA series of Patlabor and loved it. Is the actual TV series any good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

The TV series is decent. It has a few too many episodes about monsters/ghosts/etc (and really, the first OVA series had the best ghost story in all of Patlabor so those episodes can get frustrating at times) but it hits more than it misses. If you want to see more of that cast then it's worth watching.

But before that you should watch the first two Patlabor movies, they're better than the TV show by far.

Madman's got a double set with both of those movies, so I might grab that. I gotta say though, I just loved how any time someone asked "Any questions?" at the end of a briefing, all five of them would immediately start screaming :byodood: "ME! ME! MEMEMEME! PICK ME!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

THe things I liked about Haibane Renmei were it'd music, art, and simplicity. It hints at a larger mystery and a larger story, but the show largely ignores that and focuses on the simple drama. Because of that it never felt surreal to me despite the many mysterious elements and unknowns.

That said, I wouldn't suggest it as per the criteria, buts still a great show. However, if you'willing to watch something darker and more psychological then watch Serial Experiments Lain. Its very abstractly surreal show set in a modern or near future setting.

Does Serial Experiments Lain get any more... coherent (general plot-wise and pacing-wise) after the first episode? It was quite a weird slow one to watch, from memory. There's a bunch of anime fatpacks coming out at the end of the month in Australia, and as both HR and Serial Experiments Lain are amongst them I'm thinking of splurging and giving it another try. I'll definitely be getting Haibane Renmei though, as there hasn't been an Aussie DVD re-release since the original long-gone print run (:argh:), and I loved the few episodes I was able to see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

It helps that it has one of the best gag moments in Ghost in the Shell.

Which moment's that? Been a while since I've seen Solid State Society.

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character, even if there are definitely some less amazing characters at least half of the cast is way too interesting / awesome to rate any one of them as the best.

Something I really loved was by the end of the second season, almost every character got at least one episode centered around them. I think the only one who didn't was Boma.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RubberLuffy posted:

Trigun+Trigun Maximum is 17 volumes (3+14), and the anime only uses material from the first 3 or so. I vastly prefer how things go in the manga compared to the anime, but Nightow's art during action scenes ranges from "what?" to "complete incomprehensible clusterfuck".

Out of curiosity, where's the actual branching point of Maximum and the anime? I'm guessing it's somewhere around when the Gung-Ho Guns turn up?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robert Denby posted:

This is part of what did me in. They mentioned that the father has been dead for a year, and that the brother and sister had been living on the island for twenty years at least three times each in the first ten minutes, and that was before the real exposition dump.

Much as I love awesome animation, I may give it a second chance then.

In the meantime, any good shows like "Working!!" or "Servant x Service" out there, where character interaction is what makes the piece really click, and its preferably not set in a high school?

Time of Eve would probably suit you. Two of the characters are highschool students, but the show has almost nothing to do with that fact.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mors Rattus posted:

Fair warning: don't expect the ending to make much sense or be especially satisfying. The trip there's a great ride, though.

We'll get a third season one day, right? :smithicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can't remember who it was that mentioned the animation quality of Welcome to the NHK dropping off towards the end, but god drat they weren't kidding. After episode 18 it really does get noticeable. Also, episodes 12 and 13 were something really :magical:.

Anyone got any recommendations for something generally upbeat and funny? I picked up Welcome to the NHK, Serial Experiments Lain and Paranoia Agent around the same time, and something tells me watching them together probably isn't good for your mental health. Before anyone suggests them, I've seen Azumanga Daioh, Nichijou, Excel Saga, and Gurren Lagaan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jonjonaug posted:

Have you seen The Daily Lives of High School Boys?

I haven't, actually. After checking it out in the Wiki, I think I'll have to give it a look.

StandardVC10 posted:

Working!! could be worth a try, though some people will be turned off by the lead character being a bit weird- I found the series hilarious once I got used to it. Hidamari Sketch is very chilled out and optimistic.

I've seen a bit of the first season of Working!! I might try watching a bit more and see how I go.

unpronounceable posted:

After Nichibros, check out Panty and Stocking

Sorry, I should've mentioned that I've seen Panty & Stocking too.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cisneros posted:

I was reading some Penny Arcade comic that kinda reminded me of Eatman, but everyone says it's just like Trigun. Now, I somehow have never seen Trigun, is it really comparable to Eatman? the manga was one of my favorites. And since I'm here, is there anything recent like it? I mean, in the "invincible guy goes around fixing things" mold.

If you haven't seen Trigun, you should fix this because it's a great series :colbert:. (And they're right; Sand is quite similar to Trigun in its premise). Start with the series and, if you enjoy it, Badlands Rumble is a pretty decent watch too. It's a Trigun movie that's pretty much a stand-alone 90-minute episode of the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not sure about this one but Haibane Renmei might also be a good pick. It's a very simple, very light drama about angel-like beings called the Haibane and the mysteries of the world they live in. There is one main character that smokes a lot, but it fits her persona and character well without making her terrible in any way (she's actually a rather sweet person), so take that into consideration.

I really don't think Haibane Renmei's a good fit for little kids. It's very slow-paced, and dialogue-heavy with topics that'd probably go over a little kid's head. Not to mention it has a scene of Rakka's wings tearing out of her back in the first episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I know just what might suit you adventure-wise, WYA. Mushi-Shi. The series follows a man named Ginko as travels through feudal Japan and deals with mythical creatures called Mushi. They're something like a cross between spirits, fairies and general mythical creatures - not everyone can see them, and they are just a part of nature rather than something evil. Each episode is largely stand-alone (though there are a few recurring characters) and can be likened to a miniature Studio Ghibli film. Some episodes are slow-paced, but they're all very well-told and interesting stories told in a mature fashion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

You could create a rediculousity scale using Gurren Lagaan episode numbers. It varies a bit throughout the series, but the growth rate of rediculousity is pretty linear.

Actually, it's more like exponential.

Linear?! You use the episode numbers as exponential powers to gauge the level rediculosity the show can reach. You aren't digging high enough towards the heavens! :argh:

As to another recommendation, the first season of Gundam 00 might work. Good action, interesting characters that are well-rounded and mostly serious, and the plot advances fairly well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Also Macross Plus wasn't mentioned so I gotta put that out there. It's certainly no Akira or anything but as far as 80s animation quality goes it's definitely in the top 5.

Fixed that for you :colbert:.

edit: Whoops, got Remember Love mixed up with a Macross OVA. Plus is really gorgeous too though.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fireball Charming is the followup to Fireball, which is pretty entertaining in its own right. I never got around to watching Charming but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the jokes are callbacks.

Fireball Charming's actually a prequel to Fireball - the dates are earlier by about 400 years :eng101:. Also nth'ing that they're very funny little shorts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I had a fairly good idea of what was coming by the end of Volume 1, but I wasn't prepared for that :magical:. I think I'm going to go sit in a well-lit room on my own for a while. For the next week or so. And then perhaps I might look at Volume 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

99% of mecha shows exist to sell plastic poo poo to children/men-children it's what they do within that framework that makes a difference.

I was quite surprised how Transformers Prime managed to hold onto a pretty regular core cast of bots, considering most Transformers series involve at least 2-3 deaths and new arrivals for both factions per season.

WickedHate posted:

How about some heroic anime? For justice, goodness, all that. Alternatively, something with a strong moral message.

Watch Gunbuster if you haven't seen it.

• Locked thread