Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How hard is it to get hired in Disney (on the corporate side)? I remember looking out of undergrad and then grad school, and every entry level position at the time stated they were only available for college program kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Talk to me about marathon weekend at WDW. The soon-to-be-wife and I are thinking about signing up for the half marathon as an excuse to go and I'm wondering what to expect from the parks (crowds, weather, etc.). I've been to WDW a bunch, we used to go for three weeks and stay off-site at a condo, with probably seven park days in there. I haven't been since 2006, though.

I would love to stay at Boardwalk Inn since it seems close to the finish in EPCOT, and it's just a cool place from what I remember.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

PkerUNO posted:

Please spare a thought for the last remaining installation of Star Tours, which will host the last ever trip to Endor later today. RIP, Rex.

Fun fact: In the queue area, the PA would say "Paging Mr. Egreog Sacul" which is George Lucas backwards.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Welp, the wife and I got into the WDW Half Marathon, so time to plan my first trip there since May of 2007! Very excited, but a little unsure about where to stay. We used to do the Sheraton Vistana resort right off property, but that's overkill for two of us. Port Orleans looks pretty close to Epcot, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Highly recommend Port Orleans. The races are a blast, enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've done 3 now at WDW.

Oh awesome! Port Orleans looks like a good balance of cost and location. Anything around MK is way out of our budget, others seem a bit far from where we'd want to be. Question on photos when running: is there any way to tie those in with a PhotoPass thing, or is it just MarathonFoto taking all of the character shots? Or do people generally just hand their phone/camera to another runner in line to snap it?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braks, is there a reason the official website won't show me any dates beyond 12/31/2016? Seems strange that you can't book January yet, and I want to secure my room for marathon weekend

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Really? That seems incredibly odd, considering how they stress everything needs to be planned in advance. Less than six months seems crazy to me for such a big trip.

I can see 2017 dates IF I set the arrival date at 12/31/2016, but that's not very helpful

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

This is correct. 2017 package pricing isn't available yet, and probably won't be until about June at the earliest. You can book a room only right now, I think, and then convert it to package once the pricing is available. Unless your ADR date is coming up too soon, there's no real good reason to do that though.

Anya, glad you got upgraded to a better room! Hope you enjoy your stay!

So I just need to sit tight until it opens up? The website isn't even showing me room-only prices, I can't see anything in January unless the check-in date is in 2016. I'm a planner, this is freaking me out. If you're supposed to make dinner reservations 180 days out for the most popular places, but you can't even make hotel reservations or buy park tickets until less than that, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

2017 Disney packages are available for booking on June 21. I know a couple of you goons have been on my waiting list for that.

Excellent! Thank you!!!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone else unable to book a 2017 package through the website? I keep getting "An error occurred while processing your order. Please try again later or contact us if the problem continues."

Edit: nevermind, it went through. January 2017 needs to hurry up and get here

Omne fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

lloyol posted:

Do you have anything for WDW marathon weekend 2017? I thought I'd ask here before going into any detail as my plans for it are far from confirmed.

I just booked for that weekend, seems like decent availability now so I'd follow Braks' advice

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I called to add Magic Express to my reservation, but it's not showing up online. How long does that usually take?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How early from my trip should I receive the yellow tags for MDE? It wasn't a part of my original reservation but I called to add it back in early August. Just not sure if it arrives closer to the trip like the Magic Bands, or if I should have gotten it and need to call

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Crap! American Airlines changed my flights, so instead of arriving at 11AM I arrive at 1PM with a 30 minute connection in CLT. There's little chance of making that connection, and arriving at 1 kind of ruins the day from a park perspective (need to pick up packet from WWoS, dinner at California Grill at 6PM so had planned to hang out at MK).

Any suggestions?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wife and I have figured out that the easiest way to solve our travel dilemma (AA changed our flight schedule, so we arrive later in the day and too late to hit up a park) is to extend our trip out a day. Anyone do this? How hard is it? Do they kill you on the price of the added night?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Alright, managed to get a new flight out of Orlando and extend our hotel an extra day, so now our arrival day will be park-free. Also means we have another day for some food. Right now we've got reservations at the following places:

- California Grille (Thursday night)
- Sci-Fi (Friday afternoon)
- Trattoria (Friday night...needed a pasta dinner before the half marathon and Italy was booked)
- Royal Table (Saturday night)
- Le Cellier (Sunday night)

Any other suggestions? MK seems to lack destination dining other than Royal Table/BOG. I've only ever done Liberty Tree as a group (4-6 people), would it be good as a couple?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If I'll be there as a sort of honeymoon, where do I go/who do I talk to about getting a button so we get that special treatment too?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I just wish there was a way to *confirm* that you are scheduled. We are about 35 days out and haven't gotten our tags yet. I've had to call the reservation line twice for different reasons, and every time I've checked they've not had our flight info, so I've given it again. Why this can't be done online is beyond me

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

Magical Express is a hot mess right now. As long as you have made a ME reservation, you'll be allowed on the bus. You don't absolutely have to have the luggage tags. If you don't receive them in the mail, you can check your bags at your originating airport and hang on to the baggage claim ticket they give you. When you get to Orlando, give the Magical Express cast member that claim ticket and they'll grab your bags for you from baggage claim. Or you can grab your bags from baggage claim yourself and bring them with you to Magical Express and the driver will load and unload your bags from the bus for you.

Oh I get that there are workarounds for the bags. My main concern is what I've bolded above: There's no way to confirm this, since every time I call they seem to have no knowledge that I've made a reservation already. I'm fine collecting my own bags if needed; I don't want to get to the Magical Express and for them to deny me boarding because they can't find any reservation under my name, and then have to find alternate transportation to the resort.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Good news: We got our Magical Express luggage tags. Yay!

The balance on my trip is due 12/6, 30 days before arrival. Yet I don't see anywhere to actually pay it. I've searched through the My Reservations and My Itinerary sections but there's nothing about paying a balance. It offered to allow us to begin check-in, so we did that, but nothing about paying the current balance. Any ideas?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

Did you use a travel agent? If so, only the agent can process a payment.

Nope, booked it online at Disneyworld.com.

Based on all of these issues, we're definitely using an agent next time. Do you book disneyland trips as well?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

/\ those HM shoes are awesome. Wish New Balances fit me.

They just cancelled the half marathon due to expected thunderstorms. Early to call that, especially with how sporadic and rare morning storms are here, but I guess they want to avoid the shitshow that happened at the Wine & Dine race last year. Registered runners get a refund via Disney gift card or transfer their registration to any other 1/2 within 2 years. They're also getting 2 day park hoppers for the cancellation, not a bad consolation gift.

Wife and I are here for it, and the sense from other runners I've talked to is that everyone is pissed. I get it, there's no shelter at the start or most places on the course, and you gotta cancel before people start showing up. It the mood is not good. We will probably defer to next year

Also, you have the choice of: refund in the form of a Disney gift card; two one-day park hopper passes; or deferred entry into another half in the next 24 months

Omne fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 7, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Back from our honeymoon/half marathon trip to WDW! My thoughts...

- Cancelling the half was absolutely the right decision, given where the course takes you and the set-up needed. Disney really gave us good information and was quick with options. I'm sad that we didn't get to run, but this just means we get to go back next year! The wife wants to try the Dopey challenge, hopefully I can talk her out of it

- Port Orleans - Riverside was great. Loved the boat access to Disney Springs

- Best meals: California Grill and Skipper Canteen. These places are awesome!

- Worst meals: Le Cellier and Trattoria al Forno. Trattoria's food was just disgusting; Le Cellier was running a whopping 40 minutes behind scheduled reservation times, forcing us to eat quickly to make it to our viewing spot for Illuminations. Not cool, and the food was not worth the price tag.

- Dear lord do some of the rides need updating. It's been 10 years since I've been, having gone for multiple weeks a year the previous 15 years. At least change the script for Carousel of Progress; can't be talking about car phones and laser discs as new tech anymore. Also, pretty much everything at EPCOT that's not Test Track/Mission Space/Soarin needs to be blown up and redone.

- Going to EPCOT the day of the marathon was a terrible, terrible decision. The first couple of hours were packed! It slowed down later, and we were able to knock out more of Future World quickly before dinner.

- PhotoPass is worth it.

- If your FastPass+ game isn't on point, you're screwed.

Now to decide whether we want to do the half again during marathon weekend, or switch to a different race.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I hope you mean Future World. I will concede Future World, that place is a mess of out-of-date concepts, bad decisions, and derelict and uncared for pavillions, outside of the big Three and Spaceship Earth. But nobody should touch world showcase, unless the key phrases are, 'More Rides in non-obstructive places' and 'Changing out the Circle Vision Film in the Canadian Pavillion'.

Yes, I meant Future World. It really stood out as the most out-of-date, should-be-closed portion of the parks. People talk about AK being a half-day park? You could probably get through all of the Future World attractions before World Showcase even opens.

chitoryu12 posted:

People would probably riot if they did that. It's a nice place to sit down and relax in a cool, dark theatre on a hot summer's day, but more importantly it has kitsch appeal that a lot of the other old attractions lack. Being descended from the old World's Fair stuff Disney did, it's downright historic.

Eh, I'm not talking about removal, I'm talking about updating it. They've updated other original attractions (i.e. Pirates, Hall of Presidents, etc.). poo poo, they've updated CoP five times in the past: '67, '75, '81, '85 and '93).

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Reinanigans posted:

It's set even higher because both of our moms are great cooks, so we don't even need to pay for great Cuban food!

So when is Star Wars Land slated to be completed? 2019, 2020?

Not sure if they've said, but if we look at recent history we can guess. Official ground breaking for Pandora was 2014 and it's scheduled to open this summer, so call it three and a half years. Official ground breaking for Star Wars Land was 4/14/2016, so that puts it sometime in late 2019 (to coincide with one of the movies perhaps?)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braks, any idea what this whole travel-agents-get-runDisney-bibs-and-sell-them-early thing is? Wife wants to do Dopey next year and is nervous about getting in when registration opens, but I'm not sure I trust this other way.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Dopey often sells out immediately, like before general registration is even open. I tried to sign up as an AP (we get a week early registration) and couldn't get in, had to settle for the Goofy.

That...doesn't seem right. There's about 8000 Dopey spots, I don't think runDisney would give them all to travel agents/DVC/APs. Did you try to register when regular registration opened too?

Next year is the 5th anniversary of Dopey, so I imagine it'll be nuts to get in. If she really wants to do this, I want to make sure she can.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm not doubting you at all, and I know it's extremely popular and sells out quickly. I just figure they'd hold some spots for open registration, otherwise no one would really get in after DVC/AP/TA/previous finishers get their shot.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Reinanigans posted:

What's the story with the...bibs? Why are the Dopey ones so sought after?

Dopey is all four races back (5)-to-back (10k)-to-back (half marathon)-to-back (full marathon). It's sought after because it's friggin' crazy to do this challenge. A bib is your entry into a race. Normally Dopey (as would all other races for that weekend) registrations would be on February 14th for the 2018 races, but AP/DVC members get a week of advance registration, and I'm learning that travel agents are given bibs to sell as well, prior to open registration.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Does anyone happen to remember what the New Years Eve events were at different restaurants at Disney Springs? We're heading back in January 2018 for the Dopey Challenge, and looking at the calendar....we need to arrive by the 2nd, but the 1st is a holiday and the two days before that are weekends, so it's not extra time off work to spend three more days there. I know California Grill (holy poo poo, $650/person!) and a few other places have events, but wondering about restaurants at DS instead.

Also....are the crowds as bad as the internet says?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BlueBayou posted:

How is it that Speedway was never rebranded as Cars?

It seems like the easiest, most obvious rebrand.

They should nuke the Speedway and do something else with that space.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Eh, they've closed 20,000 Leagues (1971), the Skyway, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Adventure...all of which were original WDW attractions. I think it's time to do something else with the Speedway, that's a LOT of space that could be used for another attraction, something that would straddle Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

And yes, if anyone ever talks about removing Carousel of Progress, I will lead the riots. Update the final scene, but don't take it away

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

poo poo, I stayed at POR in January and there were no USB ports (and the outlets weren't in awesome locations.)

Help solve an argument: what's the breakeven point for an annual pass? Two visits/ten park days?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Lifetime Gross (domestic):

Black Cauldron: $21,288,692
Home on the Range: $50,030,461
Chicken Little: $135,386,664

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Nevermind, stupid website logged me out after two minutes of inactivity.

And California Grill isn't available 181 days out! Grrr

Omne fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 3, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'd be hard pressed to find someone that would be upset at that change, save my friend who worked at the Speedway during her DCP days.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So my wife and I have a tripped planned 12/30-1/9, mostly to run Dopey but also NYE and stuff. We've paid our deposit and made our ADRs. However, I just accepted a job offer that will relocate us to downtown Orlando. Very excited, but have a few questions...

Is the $200 deposit refundable?
If I cancel the trip, I lose our ADRs, correct?

Do APs make their FP selections at 30 days? ADRs up to 180 days from date of reservation?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Congrats on the job! Orlando is a great area, we love it here. As for your trip, I would actually recommend you stay on property for marathon weekend even if you're local. Being at the starting line at 5-6am each morning for Dopey will be a million times easier with bus transportation than driving in (and dealing with closed roads for the races). Not to mention it's great to get back to the hotel to rest and recover right after the race. Have you done a Disney race or marathon before? I can give more specific tips for both because it's quite a unique event.

Thanks, we're pretty excited. We've discussed keeping our reservation for now, just dropping the park tickets (since we would get annual passes). We prepaid for Monsieur Paul's for NYE dinner, so we're not worried about that one, but we also don't want to lose our post-marathon dinners. If need be, we'll do it. Just wondering what our implications are.

In terms of the race, we've both done multiple marathons and halves. We were down this past January to run the half that got cancelled, but this is our first multi-race event

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Ah right, I remember that now. Disney races are pretty unique, and kinda insane in a fun way. If this is your first big Disney one I would suggest being aggressive with your coral placement or be comfortable with the idea of being stuck in a large mass for the first few miles. I typically run on the side of the road in the grass during those parts so I don't have to constantly dodge walkers or the herd.

Yeah we expect it to be totally different than other large races (we've done MCM, NYC and Chicago). I have a 1:55 half for my proof of time, so I should be relatively early for the corrals, and my wife should be one or maybe two behind me. We talked and we will likely just change the dates of our reservation to be for the race days, and then a stand-alone night for NYE.

Braksgirl posted:

The $200 is refundable up to 30 days before check in. You won't lose your ADRs if you cancel your room reservation. They aren't on the same reservation system so dining won't know if you canceled your room.

APs are at 30 days out for FP. ADRs can be made at 180 days out.

Oh excellent, good to know. We had prepaid for Monsieur Paul for NYE, so we figured that was good regardless. We have Citricos for the past-marathon meal and wanted to make sure we kept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We did Escapology for a team building event, it was a blast - especially considering most of us had done one before, and half the team hated them. But we all had a lot of fun. Pretty difficult, great theming. Ours was a murder mystery on a train.

In other news, going to EPCOT and getting our annual passes today! Super excited. The perks of living in Orlando!