Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

What's the deal with the resort hotels right now? I'm considering an early December trip and there isn't much availability. Is that because everything is actually booked or have they just not released more rooms for reservations that far out because of covid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Not every resort is open. Plus I think people are like starved for Disney so the end of the year may be pretty filled up.

Are the ones that are open at reduced capacity?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It might make regular queues a bit longer, but unless it's doubling the wait for every other ride it's still a net win for me. I'd rather wait an hour and a half for 1 ride and 2 minutes for another in the FP line than wait an hour for both rides.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zero One posted:

I think you took this wrong. I read it more like "plenty of people are willing to fly to Europe or Alaska to cruise so needing to fly to Nassau, San Juan, or New York isn't a stretch."

Edit: FYI there is a cruise thread since we are way off topic here now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876784

The people going to Florida for cruises aren't flying to Europe, so the comparison isn't really valid. Florida is where a ton of cheap cruises depart from and it's way cheaper to get to somewhere like Orlando than it is Nassau. There are cruises out of Orlando that are 5 nights for <$300. Flights to Nassau are gonna cost more than the cruise itself

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zero One posted:

But a 7 night to the far western or eastern Caribbean is a different story. Those are already multiple thousands of dollars for most rooms before all the add ons. An extra couple hundred to go to Nassau vs Orlando isn't much when you dropped $900 on a cabana in St. Martin.

I'm not talking booze cruises, I'm talking eastern Caribbean. I mean, you can certainly pay multiple thousands for a room if you try, but you can easily do a 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise out of Florida for way less than that. Even balcony rooms on Carnival or Royal Caribbean can be had for less than that.

https://www.priceoftravel.com/2819/cheapest-cruise-lines-for-caribbean-cruises-13-lines-ranked-by-price/ compares example prices last year before the poo poo hit the fan, until you get to the Disney cruise level none of them are starting at more than $1k per person. Yes, they have rooms that are more expensive, but there are a poo poo ton of cheap rooms on a cruise

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cool, good to know that I won't be able to take my 7 month old anywhere since he can't be vaccinated and all the anti-vaxxers won't be wearing masks

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FastPass owns, I hope they keep it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

"Kids don't belong at Disney World" is the gooniest take I've seen in a while.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

just inconveniencing yourself and occasionally everyone around you to have kids there below a certain cutoff age.

This is literally everything you do with young children but people should still be allowed to do things, especially the theme park designed for families

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No one said that.
You sure about that?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah at those prices I think there should be a minimum age requirement so small children don't ruin it.

Hazo posted:

Buddy this is how I feel about Disney World in general

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

I don’t care about kids at the park. I just feel like, if they are so young and not super going to retain the memories, why not go some place cheaper.

One of the Podcast the Ride guys took his kid to Seaworld cause they have the Sesame Street characters and that seems like a much cheaper way to have solid kid fun at a theme park without paying big Disney $$$

The same reason you go on any vacation with a kid that young? "The trip is for the parents" isn't some super confusing concept.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Seeing a child melt down on main street isn't necessarily a sign of a terrible decision to bring a child to Disney World, it may just be a sign that there is a child in your vicinity because they melt down all the time whether they're at Disney or not. Just because you see and notice a lot of bad moments doesn't mean those families are having a terrible vacation.

If you don't like being around small children and you're at the theme park that caters to families maybe it isn't the children that are the problem?

If you think taking young children there is a bad idea then don't take your young children there :shrug:

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 6, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

effervescible posted:

The vaccines are very good but if you want a recent Disney anecdote, friends of mine got back from a two-week trip a week and change ago. They were diligent about masking up (trip started before Disney required it again.) Their older son got COVID and spread it to his little sister and father as a breakthrough infection. Symptoms didn't show up until after they got home. A friend who hangs on Disboards reports that a bunch of people there are reporting bringing sick kids home too, for whatever that's worth. As a vaccinated adult, I wouldn't go to Florida right now if you paid me, but at least I'd have some protection if I did. Taking kids who can't be vaccinated feels like throwing them to the wolves right now.

ok, I'm coming around on the whole banning kids from Disney World thing :v:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The Mu variant is just beginning its spread and is showing a lot of vaccine resistance. It's probably a really, really bad idea. The parks are likely to be hell crowded until at least the week after new years', unless Mu just eats like half the population.

Covid is obviously still very serious but you should stop doomreading cspam. Mu is less transmissible than Delta and the prevalence in the US peaked in June before declining significantly

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/heres-how-many-breakthrough-cases-have-been-reported-in-mass/2486308/ this is one state and vaccines were really only approved for the majority 6-ish months ago. as titers fall, we're gonna see some neat poo poo.

Wow, vaccines with an advertised 94% efficacy are actually 99.5% effective in practice and 99.995% effective at preventing death! This is great news, thanks for sharing!

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 10, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

-The vaccinated are dying at more than 0.1%. but I'm glad the thousands who have died are just a percentage point to you.
No they aren't. Even in your super scary link that was supposed to scare us it was 0.004%

According to the CDC as of 9/7 2,675 out of 176,000,000 vaccinated people have died, that's 0.0015%
11,115 have been hospitalized, so 0.008%

quote:

And then there's Mu (e: which did not pop up in june and disappear, what? https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210909/mu-covid-variant-qa it's happily hopping around right now, if a bit slower than delta) , the vaccine dodging rear end in a top hat variant, which only has early reporting to read on right now.
I don't think you read that link because the conclusion is basically "eh, we should keep an eye on it" not "OH GOD THE SKY IS loving FALLING"

quote:

You also have to keep in mind the link I linked is best-case scenario. It's a super high vax area. FL is not.
Can you think of any reason why a super high vax area might have a higher percentage of hospitalizations be among vaccinated people?
I'll help you out, pretend an area is 100% vaccinated, what percentage of hospitalizations do you think would be among vaccinated people?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Disney should absolutely be requiring proof of vaccination and maybe even rapid tests on kids <12, but shutting everything down again just isn't going to happen barring something catastrophic happening and vaccinated people hunkering down and never leaving their houses isn't gonna stop something catastrophic from happening if it's gonna happen

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wonder who they talked to? I would think if they went to the customer service desk and talked to them they could get a refund.

You shouldn't have to take time out of your vacation to stand in line at customer service for this, they should just refund you and still extend your window.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Boxman posted:

It's a bar, strike up a conversation, brag about how much coaxium you stole from the First Order (or how badly you wrecked the Falcon)

(if you are not the sort who thinks that is fun yeah probably, but we exchanged pleasantries with our neighbors and it was fine).

Talk to them about how it's weird to be sharing a booth with people with all this space plague going around

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Did we all get a group rate or something? I’ll be at the parks the week of 2/7.

2/19 here :toot:

We just did a round of omicron so we figured with the peak seeming to come down and our immunity being as high as it's gonna be for a while now was the time to strike

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm here now, I absolutely recommend Genie+ every day you're going to the parks if you want to ride rides. It's $20 a day to get 2-3 extra rides in per day, if you're already staying at a Disney resort (especially Grand Floridian) that's a small amount of money extra per day to not have to wait 1-2 hours for every single ride you want to do. You can also book the individual lightning lane passes for the top rides in addition to the regular Genie+ lightning lane passes, so you can have multiple things lined up at the beginning of the day and then add extras throughout the day once the 2 hour window or your first LL is used.

If you're talking about 14 days at Grand Floridian then you could do Genie+ for the full 14 days and book an individual LLs each day as well for <$1000 on what's likely to be a $12000+ vacation. (I would personally recommend something more like park tickets for 8-10 days instead of a full 14 and do other stuff on the off days, in which case it'll be even less expensive to add Genie+).

It's mid February and these are the worst crowds I've ever seen, December is going to be bonkers. Unless your idea of fun is just standing in line after line for a 2-5 minute payoff don't cheap out on Genie+

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Doesn’t help you now, but you can book another LL 2 hours after you book one or after your window, whichever comes first. So you can book at 7:00 and then another at 11 (2 hours after the park opens) regardless of what time your first LL was for

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

It looks like something I would love to take my son to someday, but because the price is so high I’m worried the other passengers would be disdainful of children present. Even though it’s Disney.

Other people are already disdainful of children in Disney, gently caress em and do what you want with your kid

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I understand what you're asking correctly: you do not have to make a park reservation for any park you're hopping to at 2 pm. You just show up. You only make a park reservation for the park you're going to first that day. So, say you're going to Epcot at 10 with plans to hop to Hollywood Studios at 3pm. You only need to reserve Epcot for that day.

Just to add to this, from what I understood from googling you cannot park hop until you've visited your reserved park. So if you've got an Epcot reservation and plan to park hop to HS in the afternoon you can't skip Epcot.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I ended the night at Epcot 3 out of 5 days on my recent trip just going around and eating and drinking as much as possible. Epcot is the best park

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Still checking multiple times a day for Space 220 and lounge reservations and nothing for late March. drat you people, go eat somewhere else so I can cross this off my list.

Dining reservations were tougher than usual on my most recent trip. I ended up creating a rube goldberg machine that would check the reservations I wanted every 5-10 minutes and text me if one opened up and it still took weeks to get some stuff, several times I got a notification that something was open and it was already gone by the time I was able to login and reserve it so reservations are lasting 5-10 minutes tops for some stuff. In the past when I've done something similar I've been able to get anything I was looking for in a few days.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It was neat and the food was pretty good. The buffalo cauliflower was really good.

There is certainly better food in Epcot since you can trip and fall into a restaurant with amazing food in the world showcase, but it was still a worthwhile experience imo

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Unfortunately:

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1503835388766478344

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Oof, if you can believe it the rest of the thread gets worse

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It sounds like it could have been pretty cool but they couldn't figure out the hard parts so they just gave up

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Not really steak, but the short rib from Jiko is the best meal I've ever eaten

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

They already weren't requiring masks indoors, when I was there in February it seemed pretty silly that they required masks on buses but not when you're crammed into a line for an hour inside. It's like having a small designated "no peeing" zone in the pool.

It's just a reality that risk of COVID exposure is going to be a thing for everything you do in public for the foreseeable future

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alg posted:

Nobody here is antivax. Nobody who isn't already vaccinated will get it, that's the truth. Nothing is discouraging people from getting vaccinated besides politics and conspiracy theories. The gaslighting and falsehoods, especially from people in positions of power (like the CDC) is the problem. The vaccine is not a cure all, and pretending like its the only way out of the pandemic is dishonest. People don't disable the brakes on their cars because they have airbags. Wearing a mask harms nobody.

Then wear a mask

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm not against mask mandates but that ship has sailed and the chances of the covid situation getting significantly better than it is right now is pretty low, so this is the reality you've got to live in

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

In February the parks were so busy we wouldn't have gotten to ride much of anything without aggressive Genie+ usage. It's worse than the old FastPass system because you've got to be actively managing it all day, but it's better than waiting in 45+ minute lines for anything thats a mediocre ride and 1.5+ hours for any good ride

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The times on the lines we did wait in were pretty accurate :shrug:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's also because, as I understand it, the time is (approximately) calculated based on how long the people currently riding the ride waited and not how long someone getting in line now will necessarily wait. Near closing time the line volumes are changing rapidly so the system probably just can't keep up.

I don't know if it is still the case but they used to just give random people a thing to hold onto when they got into line that they would then hand over to the cast member before they got on the ride, and however long it took for that person to get through the queue was what they based the wait times on

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This is interesting but they're also trying to sell you something and not showing you the underlying data so I'm skeptical. Beyond their anecdotes at the end how are they measuring their success?

It mostly looks like they just remove the 5-15 minute buffer

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just get your news from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Once you're able to immediately book a G+ slot for Slinky Dog Dash. This ride will be fully booked in a couple hours so you definitely want to do this as soon as possible.

In February Slinky Dog was booked for the entire day by 7:05. You gotta be really fast to get both RoR and Slinky Dog booked