Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I need some extra batteries for my 6D. I read that Wasabi Power and Sterlingtek both make decent 3rd party options. The Wasabi power seems like a better deal and has a better warranty. Any experience with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

ShutteredIn posted:

Cool. Which ones aren't?

I had some Wasabi ones for my 5d that lasted about a quarter as long as the Canon ones.

I just got some Wasabi ones for my 6D. They seem to work great.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

dorkanoid posted:

I just bought a 6D (it was 30% off with the 24-105L, how could I not?!) - and it turns out the provided software really hosed up not only my computer, but the rest of the network.

As long as "Canon EOS UPNP Service" was running, all computers had trouble using the network - the wireless routers were unusable, pings between devices (not running the service) on the wired network were in the 3-4 digit milliseconds, and it lasted until I killed the service.

Great job Canon! :cheers:

I've been running around rebooting everything for hours, and was on my way to do a test of the wiring in all the network cables when I stumbled over the process

Holy poo poo. I thought I was the only one. Killing the Canon wireless transfer program worked for me.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

geeves posted:

The WiFi with the 6D, in the previous pages, has been mentioned to kill networks and was terrible software.

If you're sharing or on another network, something to keep in mind:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post416522122
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post416523938

edit: Reading these two posts, it sounds like the "listener" for the 6D transfer is causing a DDoS of sorts. But I can't confirm without testing it myself.

This is only if you use the Canon proprietary software. Connecting it to my network, my computer then sees it as if it was plugged into USB and I can offload files as normal, albeit a little slowly. The software is a piece of poo poo, but the wifi remains perfectly functional.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
Going to take the a train trip from Portland to Glacier National Park, and then to Chicago. I've wanted to add a telephoto to my kit for a bit more reach, but I can't decide between the 70-200 F4L IS and the 70-300 F4-5.6L IS. I have a 6D, 24-105, and a 100L macro.

What does the goon hive mind say?

I'm interested in getting better wildlife and landscape shots, and love bug pictures.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Canon 100-400L is great for wildlife. And you don't overlap range with your 24-105.

Also consider the 300mm f4 L prime

Does the 100-400L hold up to the other two in terms of quality? I understand it to be an older lens and I am unsure about the push/pull.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
It's a bit out of my price range. The 70-300 is pushing it, but I'm willing to stretch if I find it compelling enough. I like the reach, but not the relatively poor aperture. Reverse that for the 70-200.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'd also suggest the 70-300L. Great IS. The difference between 200 and 300 is pretty substantial for wildlife. Compared with the 100-400, the extra 100mm on the 400 is not as big proportionally as the jump from 200 to 300, while the 70 is very useful on the wide end for landscapes or portraits. It's a great vacation lens if you aren't specializing on birds or sports.

Yeah, yeah, I bought it. And a Gorillapod with a ball head so I can attach that poo poo to trees and actually be in the picture. My checkbook weeps. But it feels so NICE in my hands. :drat:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

I got a similar rebate with a lens and it was processed and in hand within 2-3 weeks.

Also, the printer is great and I've been making prints for family and friends. Stop your bitchin', boy!

ShotgunWillie fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 24, 2013

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
Hahahahahahahaha. I bought the 70-300 two weeks ago.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Binary Badger posted:

It's kinda cheating because it's actually combining four different exposures, but here's the night exposure mode on the EOS M, standard 18-55 STM lens.

The second one IRL it was pretty dark, I almost can't believe how much more sensitive the camera is than the human eye.

Haaaaay, Brooklyn buddy.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -