Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
P.N.03 only exists because Mikami needed a game to fill the hole left in their release schedule after they delayed Viewtiful Joe, and the whole "Capcom 5" thing only came about because Mikami was sick of dealing with Sony (and because he couldn't even get through a single meeting with Microsoft).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AASman posted:

I love Mikami games and I always wanted to try PN03. Is there anybody here that likes it?

It's not a terrible game, it's just really undercooked. At the time they were trying to spin it as an experiment to see whether people would accept games constructed by smaller teams like in the old days, but Mikami has recently admitted that it turned out the way it did because they made the entire thing in a rush to fill Viewtiful Joe's former release slot and because he'd totally checked out after a couple months. Even the name P.N.03 is just an acronym for "Project Number 3" that stuck because the producers vetoed Mikami's original choice and he didn't care enough to come up with another one before it launched.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've already released a Pokemon game with NFC unlocks in Japan, which is almost as exploitative (or would be if Nintendo wasn't so hesitant to actually release the figurines).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The NES/SNES culture is literally an American/Japanese thing, everywhere else in the world had a solid mix of everything. Nintendo was never "The only game in town" outside those two markets.

The C64/Amiga/Amstrad/Spectrum "culture" is literally a nostalgia thing, kept alive by delusional people who can't accept how loving awful the games were for those things. I don't mean relative to Nintendo or whatever, either, they genuinely stink.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

So is literally everything about the NES/SNES. Video games used to be abject garbage. If it wasn't a TV/Movie tie in side scrolling platformer, it was a top down shooter.

There are plenty of action games from that era that are and were fantastic - not just NES games, but games for arcades and other consoles, too - but you sure as hell won't find any of 'em for your Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum or whatever other junk was kicking around at the time, and to just say "they were all bad!" is to gloss over just how loving awful those European facsimiles of Japanese action games really were.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Do you even know what an Amiga is, you idiot? Here's a list of loving awful Amiga games which genuinely stink: Monkey Island, The Settlers, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Dune II, Flashback, Wings, Turrican, Pirates, Sim City, Worms, North & South, Civilization, ...

It's telling that so many of those games are ports from other platforms, isn't it?

Still, I'll concede a few of those (not Turrican, it's a stinker).

I'm assuming he's American so has never seen one before in person, let alone played anything on one.

Nope.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
RE: Wii Fit U, the game is (was?) going to include a little infrared heartrate monitor/pedometer device as part of the package, and they were also preparing to launch the game alongside some of the new online features like user-created communities, so I imagine the delays are connected to that external stuff rather than anything to do with the game itself.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sora (read: Sakurai) is doing the game design, Nintendo/HAL are producing/supervising, Namco is doing the bulk of the actual work. The setup is similar to the one for Other M, off the top of my head - most of the different leads from Namco are partnered with someone from Sora/Nintendo to keep things in check.

They went with NBGI because they had the personnel to do everything in-house, which meant they didn't have to do what they did with Brawl and sub-contract everything out to eight hundred different external studios.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pixeltendo posted:

I thought brawl was made by sora and dudes from Game arts?

It wasn't just Game Arts, there were a bunch of other studios, too - Grasshopper Manufacture, h.a.n.d., some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

When Sakurai made Kid Icarus he did it through "Project Sora", which was basically just a formal arrangement where Nintendo would provide him with staff and/or sub-contract parts of the game on his behalf; it was supposed to be a test run for Smash 4, but for whatever reason they ended up partnering with Namco instead, so Project Sora (but not Sora LTD, Sakurai's studio) was dissolved.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alteisen posted:

Supposedly we got a gimped Prime 3 because during its development Sakurai agreed to make Other M so they rushed it out the door.

Don't know if its true though.

It definitely wasn't forced out the door. It was supposed to be a launch title but they delayed it until they could "make something as good as Twilight Princess", whatever that means.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think that they should do a Pokemon title on iOS, but they could do a Pokedex app and I bet it'd do really well.

Pretty sure an official Pokedex app for iOS/Android is already a thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Install Windows posted:

In all seriousness, I'm sure Square is doing ok with those $20 barely touched ports of their old RPGs they poo poo out on phones every few months. It's certainly not their primary business but it is a steady revenue stream.

If only they were "barely touched"... it seems like most of them are filled with RPG Maker menus and hideous filtered sprites and whatnot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Install Windows posted:

Uh... RPG Maker's menus were pretty much direct copies of Square's game menus in the first place.

I mean in the sense that they look extremely ugly and low-budget.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bovineicide posted:

I also don't see Nintendo ever considering using a platform with as much piracy as iOS and Android, either.

DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aren't those really cheap X360s sold on a subscription basis that forces you to sign up for x years of Xbox Live or something? Maybe I'm misremembering, I don't know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Also, piss off Iwata. E3 2011 was all about you saying the Wii U would be about bringing back older gamers. "Wider and deeper" and all that. That was the entire premise behind the stupid "Wii U" name! And now you've gone back to saying you're not about the CoD market? Do Nintendo care that they're a joke to a large segment of gamers?

Did you read the entire investor Q&A?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"might"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Didn't they pull people off of the Mario team or something for the WWHD port?

You might be thinking of the new Zelda game for 3DS; according to the Iwata Asks article, they broke up the three-man prototype team because they needed all hands on deck for Skyward Sword and Nintendo Land.

WWHD was the exact opposite of what you're describing - the core team within Nintendo was very small (six or seven people plus management, from what I recall) plus an external studio that did all the gruntwork, and it was done in around six months.

(Incidentally, the external studio was Hexadrive, the same dudes who were hired to fix ZOEHD.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Animal Crossing? Flipnote? Pushmo/Crashmo, even.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Papercut posted:

They could still charge (maybe not $50) for their own level packs, other developers do (Trials for instance). This is all a pipedream of course, Nintendo doesn't seem capable of pulling something like this off even if they were willing too.

Sure, if you ignore the repeated instances of them actually doing this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fulchrum posted:

As for who says they won't reveal something at E3, the fact that they won't loving be there. Again.

They were there last year.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I thought they did that cutesy Best Buy E3 thingy. I mean, my understanding was they weren't REALLY there.

edit: wait, you mean 2012. My Reading comprehension good.

No, they were there last year too. The big difference was that they didn't do a live presentation, they just showed a pre-record, but all the key personnel were there and ended up doing their own weird quasi-presentation thing the day after, so it made no appreciable difference.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo allowed Rare to be sold because the Stampers wanted to be bought out and Nintendo knew the studio wouldn't be worth poo poo once people started leaving, and they also didn't like the idea of having to share ownership with some other unknown party, so they agreed to provisionally acquire the remaining shares from the Stampers and then immediately sell the entire company once they'd found a buyer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Toady posted:

I wonder why they don't use a third-party infrastructure, like how Sony went with Limelight for PSN.

They do. A lot of their ancillary services like Miiverse and Flipnote are handled by Hatena, and they recently bought a stake in the company that owns Nico Nico Douga.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

After "Year of Luigi" has there been any word about a character theme for this year?

They haven't even stopped doing Year of Luigi stuff yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Astro Nut posted:

Imagine that recent buyout of one of the companies who tried to sue them hasn't helped the profit margin any.

I don't think they bought them; the company failed to pay the costs awarded to Nintendo so they had a bunch of their assets sold or delivered to Nintendo as partial repayment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fallom posted:

They just put out a demo for an upcoming game that requires Streetpass hits in order to advance faster than a glacial pace.

"They" being Square-Enix.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does the NA eShop not have the big list of straightforward category slots along the bottom row that the PAL eShop has? I see people complaining about this specific point all the time and I really don't get it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Raged posted:

This that means it is canned since the Wii U had failed to develop a proper install base.

Doesn't explain the cancellation of the 3DS version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

That loving Sned posted:

They're supposed to be helping indie developers, but the Vita shits all over its indie catalogue.

Nintendo's indie policies are really, genuinely good, particularly in regards to Wii U, and it's one of the few areas where they're at parity with the other consoles, but in typical Nintendo fashion they don't make any real effort to tell anyone about any of their initiatives.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MechaCrash posted:

They don't want to buy consoles that only play Nintendo games, because Nintendo has made Wii U development fairly unappealing. I mean, why even bother? Even overlooking any difficulties with the development tools, you can't port PS4/Bone games to it, because it lacks the muscle. And if you're going to dial back the specs so you can stick it on the Wii U, why not stick it on the PS3/360, which already have massive install bases?

I know you're talking about big mainstream games, but the indie dev environment on Wii U is very accessible and relatively hassle-free, and there are other perks that make releasing on Wii U a worthwhile venture - Unity Pro comes free with the dev license, for example, and Nintendo also has a deal in place that means you don't have to pay the usual Unity license fee for any game you publish, which is a pretty big deal and will save a lot of indies a lot of money (five figures, around $40k).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MechaCrash posted:

Okay, then I will amend my statement to "consoles that only play Nintendo games and the handful of indies they have courted that are not porting their games to other systems with larger install bases."

You missed my point - if you have a Unity game that runs on Wii U (and I'd wager that most will) then it's not really an either/or situation; the amount of effort/money required to release a Wii U version is tiny by console publishing standards, so there's no reason not to do it if you can spare the initial expense, even when you take the userbase into account.

Also, it's not an issue of who Nintendo is or isn't courting; they don't court anyone, and that's kinda the problem.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rudoku posted:

It's an extra "gently caress you" to non-Japanese players. Didn't they release Mother 2 on the Wii at the normal S.Famicom price a long time ago?

It wasn't, but they got the Wii U version for 30 yen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How has Capcom been less supportive of Nintendo system than [publisher xyz]?

What the hell is this thread even for?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People think this thread exists because Nintendo fans can't handle criticism or whatever but it seriously exists because that one dude's posts were loving impossible to read after a little while.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Well yeah, that too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fame Douglas posted:

No one cares whether you bought a Wii U, or have a general fondness of terrible gaming products. Fact is: The Wii U is an unmitigated flop; apparently Nintendo's executives aren't "smart businessmen".

Obviously, Nintendo's upcoming and half-finished-at-release fitness gimmick will save the company!

[Will Smith:]
Wild Wild West, Jim West, desperado, rough rider
No you don't want nada
None of this, gun in this, brotha runnin this,
Buffalo soldier, look it's like I told ya
Any damsel that's in distress
Be out of that dress when she meet Jim West
Rough neck so go check the law and abide
Watch your step with flex and get a hole in your side
Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at,
With all of this, from the start of this,
Runnin the game, James West tamin the west so remember the name
Now who ya gonna call?

[Dru Hill:]
Not the G.B.'s

Now who you gonna call?

(G double E G)

If you have a riff with people wanna bust,
Break out before you get bumrushed at the (Wild Wild West)
When I roll into the (Wild Wild West)
When I stroll into the (Wild Wild West)
When I bounce into the (Wild Wild West) Sisqo, Sisqo

[Sisqo:]
We going straight to the Wild Wild West

Now, now, now, now once upon a time in the west
Mad man lost his drat mind in the west
Loveless, givin up a dime, nothin' less
Now I must put his behind to the test (can you feel me)
Then through the shadows, in the saddle, ready for battle
Bring all your boys in, here come the poison
Behind my back, all the riffin' ya did,
Front and center, now where your lip at kid?
Who dat is? A mean brotha, bad for your health
Lookin drat good though, if I could say it myself
Told me Loveless is a mad man, but I don't fear that
Got mad weapons too, ain't tryin to hear that
Tryin to bring down me, this champion
When y'all clowns gon' see that it can't be done
Understand me son, I'm the slickest they is,
I'm the quickest as they is, did I say I'm the slickest they is
So if you barking up the wrong tree we comin, don't be startin nothin
Me and my partner gonna test your chest, Loveless
Can't stand the heat then get out the Wild Wild West

We going straight to (when I roll into the) the Wild Wild West (when I stroll into the)
We going straight to (when I bounce into the) the Wild Wild West

[Freestyling]
To any outlaw tryin to draw, thinkin you're bad,
Any draw on West best with a pen and a pad,
Don't even think about it, six gun, weighin a ton,
10 paces and turn, just for fun, son,
Up till sundown, rolling around,
See where the bad guys are to be found and make 'em lay down,
The defenders of the west,
Crushin on pretenders in the west,
Don't mess with us cuz we're in the (Wild Wild West)

[Sisqo:]
We going straight to the Wild Wild West, come on

(Wild Wild West)
When I roll into the
(Wild Wild West)
When I stroll into the
We going straight to the Wild Wild West (the Wild Wild West)
(Wild, Wild West) whoo, uh
(Wild Wild West) ha ha ha ha
(Wild Wild West) uh Dru, Dru
(Wild Wild West) I done done it again y'all done done it again
(Wild Wild West) ha ha ha ha
(Wild Wild West) Big Will, Dru Hill, uh
(Wild Wild West) Big Will, Dru Hill ha ha ha ha
(Wild Wild West) the Wild Wild West
(Wild Wild West) uh
(Wild Wild West) one time
(Wild Wild West) uh,
(Wild Wild West) the wild wild west bring in the heat, bring in the heat, what?
(Wild Wild West)
(Wild Wild West) uh can't stop the bumrush
The Wild Wild (the Wild Wild West)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I bought MH3U about a year ago for the 3DS and stopped playing after a couple of weeks because it sucked rear end solo and I didn't have a WiiU to play online. Now that I'm getting a WiiU should I just keep the 3DS version or just get a discount copy of the WiiU version?

There's a free app for Wii U that'll let you take the 3DS version online, so if you have no issues playing on 3DS you needn't buy it a second time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

anyone got that quote from the investor at the shareholder meeting asking why nintendo doesn't make gambling games instead? the reply of basically "yeah we'll keep that idea in mind, you idiot" from iwata was :lol:

Those shareholder questions are always full of ridiculous questions. I remember one guy bitching at Iwata for not providing a shuttle bus to the venue, and another guy complaining about the catering, and one dude asking why such a "socially" "conscious" company wasn't sending copies of Wii Fit to tsunami victims (they were) P.S. Wii Fit is junk and video games are stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U saved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spD40KSnYXs

• Locked thread