Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

madeupfred posted:

What does the Y Axis represent?

Wii Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

That loving Sned posted:

Speaking of character customisation, Tearaway lets you completely change your characters' face. No matter where or how many eyes or mouths you have, Atio or Iota will still express themselves in cutscenes.

Cool, I've thought that character customization is pretty limited for a long time. Like, why can't my character have 7 eyes, all over their body (well, okay, at least their head)? why can't I put a single eyebrow over my character's third ear? Why does the mouth have to be below the nose? Why does the nose have to be narrower than the face?

Those kinds of things could potentially make my character look dumb, but so what? And anyway, usually my gripes have been that "I just want to make the nose slightly longer, but I've already maxed out the slider"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
You know how skyward sword had the horrible motion controls?

Well, The Legend of Zelda: The Next One has to shoehorn some dumb tablet gimmick in there.

Granted, it could be something mostly harmless, like inventory management or map, but more likely they will have some annoying accessory you have to use constantly.

e: Oh man, I hope they revisit Phantom hourglass and have the whole game be played with the touch screen.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

Tap screen to use selected hookshot/shovel/bomb/any zelda accessory ever.

Tap screen to select, then aim with the tablet in first person

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

romanowski posted:

this would be fuckin' rad though.

Well at least the gyro aiming would be.

I will find out where you live and pee in your mailbox.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

petrol blue posted:

I'm assuming they'll use second screen aiming, like on the Link's Archery Range minigame? I figured it was basically a 'look what the next zelda game will have' thing.

Oh dear god please no more motion controls and no more voice controls. You have plenty of buttons on your controller now, you don't need to substitute a button with waggling.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Their next gimmick should be a hand held you can hook up to the TV.

No gimmicks, god drat it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

A handheld with a docking station that has built-in graphics hardware that pushes up the on-screen res. :getin:

Developers could make games for this complex POS, or they could make games for a more powerful (and probably more popular) console that has no dumb gimmick like that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ImpAtom posted:

Handhelds. The PS4 is going to do better than the Wii U almost certainly but there's a pretty good chance it's going to not exactly set the world on fire over there despite having no meaningful competition and a better launch lineup than the US release. That isn't an excuse for the Wii U's drastic underperformance but the Japanese gaming market is very quickly moving to handheld and mobile devices. (And has been for a while.)

Or it could simply be that PS3 is ancient and the alternatives are Wii (also ancient), Xbox 360 (:lol: and ancient), Wii U (:laffo:) and I guess in the future Xbone (:newlol:)

MrBims posted:

No, release Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

Mario & Sonic at the Paralympic Games

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Wait, you think the Metroid Prime series tarnished the Metroid brand? Let me tell you about Other M..

Metroid Prime was real good, Metroid Prime 2 was impossible and I never played Metroid Prime 3 because gently caress motion controls.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

TaurusOxford posted:

How was Prime 2 impossible, and did you even TRY Prime 3? The motion controls were fantastic.

I don't remember much other than at some point I just hit a brick wall in Prime 2.

No, I did not try Prime 3, because I did not own a Wii, because gently caress motion controls.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Quest For Glory II posted:

Some resurrection of a property that they're willing to bankroll through another developer.

Wrecking Crew.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, as someone who is poo poo at Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors looks interesting. Maybe they casualize it enough for me to feel like a badass mowing down hundreds of enemies. Assuming I ever buy a Wii U, of course.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

DarthBlingBling posted:

WiiU is still in the hearts of some kids I guess (can only assume the Twitter user is a child, or has a mental age of one anyway)

It's a joke https://twitter.com/FrostBandit/status/416093251959934977 and https://twitter.com/FrostBandit/status/416313774610472961

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Went to see Frozen earlier, ads before the movie: Mario & Sonic at Sochi, Super Mario 3D world, and several Lego-related ads, both playsets and video games (on Wii U and 3DS). No other consoles advertised. Wii U is for babbys who watch Disney movies and play with Legos.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Link's awakening is loving awesome for a handheld game, dude. Don't even start that poo poo.

Link's awakening is loving awesome. Period.

edit:

KittyEmpress posted:

Generally what makes me dislike old LoZ games is the lack of direction and how you're supposed to wander around and hope you get to the right point eventually. It's tedious and annoying, and I don't know a single person IRL who hasn't admitted to using Nintendo Power to figure out how to beat them when they first played.

I actually have only seen Links Awakening once, and very briefly played it, so it was a bad example for me to use maybe.
ilar combat and gameplay but with less wandering and needing a guide to figure out where to go.

Link's awakening was pretty handholdy for its time. Every time you complete a dungeon, you will get a hint on where to go next, and there is that phone booth you can visit to get a hint on what to do next. So yeah, it's a bad example

Wheany fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2014

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ImpAtom posted:

Even if they hire more people, it is pointless to hire more people to invest in a game that is fairly unlikely to be worth the investment. They would be better off using new people to increase productivity on their more popular franchises or to invest in a new IP.

Well if the lack of workforce has been the reason they have been so slow to release games, they need to start hiring more people anyway.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Holy poo poo that looks bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

surc posted:

(see, plugging cables in that don't make it work, etc.)

Holy loving poo poo this. My big brother seemed to think that plugging a coaxial cable from the wall to the back of a set-top box and then a scart cable from the set top box to a tv is some kind of dark magic.

I'm sure he would have been just fine if he had to connect a garden hose to, idk, a water filter and then another hose from the filter to a pool.

But add electronics and his eyes just glaze over.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
That Frostbite tweet wasn't very funny coming from an official account. It wasn't friendly ribbing, it was just kicking someone when they are down. And besides, tweeting "your console a poo poo" to one manufacturer is bad policy anyways. If Nintendo manages to pull anothe Wii-like success form their arse in a few years, that tweet (or the attitude it reveals) could bite Dice in the rear end.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Louisgod posted:

The tweet was super funny

Nah

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SBJ posted:

just look at the Scroogled campaign of Microsoft

Also a lovely campaign, btw

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SBJ posted:

I'm not as invested in defending a bad purchase from a bad company (at the moment).

Who's defending their purchase?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Blacktoll posted:

It is an outrage! This tweet shows the moral degradation of our once outstanding video game corporations. It is slander, it is ugly and invites the full wrath of Nintendo as an entity, as well as it should. With as much righteous indignation I ask how can a company like Frostbite dare to utter such lies about Nintendo to whom Frostbite owes everything to. Their actions will cause a bitter fallout which the industry will feel for quite some time. I for one believe that their rank, juvenile behavior is the height of baseness and I won't stand for it.

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

It was a dumb unprofessional tweet and it wasn't that funny. I don't think anyone was particularly angry about it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Soul Glo posted:

:munch:

Oh man, REALLY? Source?

Also: Why?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The Taint Reaper posted:

They should have made it based around Rosilina, since she makes Toadstool and Daisy look like pale imitators.

Agreed and she also gives me epic bon0rs. True story.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Splatoon will bomb hard. Then the next Battlefield or Call of duty will take the gameplay concept and make it brown and gray and it will be v. successful.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

CrashCat posted:

Not even because I want to see people look foolish but because it proves what garbage the real stuff is.

ClickHole is not nearly as funny because it is pretty much exactly the same as real clickbait sites. The Onion actually has better headlines than real news sites these days, because they have to summarize the joke in the headline instead of trying to trick you into clicking the link.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Excels posted:

some brony at ubisoft hid rainbow dash keychains in certain cars parked around the city

i wonder if they're still in the wii u version

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It wasn't just any old pony keychain, it was a IWTCIRD :nws: keychain.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Hyrule Warriors looks real fun, and much more accessible to me than old Dynasty Warriors games. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I want to buy the console for that though, because nothing else looks like something I want to play. Maybe proper Zelda whenever that is released. And maybe if they ever make a good Metroid.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Did you play dynasty warriors on the ps1/2?

It's that

But with Zelda poo poo

I know, right?!

Looper posted:

You want W101.

I've watched Chip Cheesum's LP and nah.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Golden Goat posted:

You said Dynasty Warriors was less accessible then Hyrule Warriors. Wonderful 101 is definitely not for you. Neither is Bayonetta 2 I suppose.

If it's anything like Bayonetta 1, I would probably just get frustrated after 5 minutes and never play it again.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay, everyone who wants me to buy W101 of Bayonetta because I think Hyrule warriors looks good seems to think that because you beat dudes in HW, and you beat dudes in W101 and Bayonetta, they're the same.

In DW/HW, you press butan and 30 people die and their corpses fly everywhere and knock other people down.

In W101 and Bayonetta you actually have have to know what button to press and when to press them of the game will kick your rear end.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Also in DW when they give orders like "go defend the cheese storage", I'm like "Is that my or some other dude's name?" because there are like 80 characters and I'm apparently super bad with Chinese names. But in HW when they say that "Impa, you must go and kill all the dudes at the east gate", I'm like "Oh, that video game character that isn't based on a real person, that name I know"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Endorph posted:

maybe you could just... learn the names? 'The dude I'm playing as is named Xiahou Dun. Oh, they mentioned Xiahou Yuan. That isn't the guy im playing as'

It's so obvious now, why didn't I think of that!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Austrian mook posted:

Anyone who doesn't like W101 is a loving retard and needs to be banned.

Same, except every game I like.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Looper posted:

He's right though

So am I

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

whaley posted:

So you only like games for retarded people.

Yes, I like videogames.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey guys I made a new wiiu game that uses the wiiu pad to its full potential!

*gamepad screen is a map and/or inventory screen*

In Zelda you'll probably use it to draw a path for the boomerang before you throw it, like in the Phantom Hourglass (the worst Zelda game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Excels posted:

Phantom Hourglass was awesome, I beat it and it was very satisfying

It was better than i expected after I learned it didn't have traditional controls (after starting the game), but it was still the worst Zelda. Didn't buy spirit tracks because I disliked the Phantom Hourglass so much.

I beat it, but it was definitely not "awesome"

• Locked thread