Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uncle Wemus posted:

Given Jonas's swinger parties and Dr. Quym i'd say its likely.
Given the way Monarch talks about the original Dr. Venture, I very much doubt it.

Gumbercules posted:

My guess was that the Monarch played the role of Rusty Venture in the Rusty Venture television show - the rusty venture character has pointy ears and buck teeth. In one episode, Rusty mentions how he doesn't get any royalty money from the show - I think the Monarch gets it and that's how he funds all of his stuff.
Rusty Venture was a cartoon, and Rusty voiced himself.

That episode was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

qirex posted:

Is there a hq youtube or MP3 of what in my mind is "the super science song?" The one with the fast arpreggiated synth and the chorus?
It's one of the DVD menus, so I very much doubt there isn't. Hell if I can find it, though.

Speed Crazy posted:

That was a good episode! I wouldn't put it anywhere near my top favorites, but it was still quality Venture. My only major complaint is that I really wish Doc and Jackson would stop voicing big characters. August St Cloud sound way too much like Jackson doing a silly voice and not enough like his own character.
It's Hank. It's the Hank voice. It's like... almost no different at all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Comrade Quack posted:

The AstroBase is in Manhattan because that's where Doc and Jackson are. There is a tour of the AstroBase on one of the extras of an early season. It's probably not as posh as you're expecting.
Yes, and for the same money in New Jersey, it probably could be. Or it could be the same size, and they'd have a lot more money.

It doesn't matter. They're in Manhattan because they want to be.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Monarch, unable to function without 21 joins SPHINX, takes it over and fights supervillains all while living at the Venture compound and being a massive dick to Rusty.
I hate you for this, because now I want to see a thing that will never happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

a cock shaped fruit posted:

If you want to overthink the whole thing, It's kind of funny that his full name is technically 'Courtney Hate', an interesting spin on 'Courtney Love'.
That's got to be it right there.

Jerusalem posted:

PROS-TAH-TOO! :neckbeard:
BAH MAAAAAHH! :neckbeard:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That episode was amazing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The real question to be asking is: does Rusty know that he used to know the Monarch?

It's his picture in his photo album, after all.

He doesn't, or he wouldn't have treated him like a stranger in college. But STILL!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Victor Echo November" and the last few minutes of the "Operation P.R.O.M." are really the only times anything ever got serious, and coincidentally, they're thought of as among, if not the best episodes they've done.
Victor Echo November?

The ep with the boys' double date with Kim and Triana?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Absolutely. The entire episode is chock full of character interactions, and Brock naked and covered in blood is a highlight of the entire show.
Oh, I agree. I just wouldn't call it a serious episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I used to say that Warburton always sounds like Warburton, and that it was alright because you could still tell Puddy/Joe/Brock/The Tick apart just by his inflection, but Brock has long since stopped being Brock and has melded with Joe from Family Guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Poque posted:

I can't even describe how angry this post makes me.
I'm really glad I didn't have to say it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you for that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Comrade Quack posted:

Why did my inner nerd have to notice Dean is in the back? :(
Why would he not be?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People think that the show being about failure means no character can ever succeed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Preem Palver posted:

To be fair, it's usually only Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick writing, producing, and directing the episodes, and they work other jobs while they're writing up the next season. I would rather have each season take a couple of years to come out than to have them burn out and the show turn to poo poo.
I'm pretty sure all they do is make Venture Brothers. What other jobs have you heard about?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CoolCab posted:

It's "clothes", clones makes no sense. The boys die all the time, sometimes in ways their bodies can't be recovered, and there are literally hundreds of slugs. Rusty is just too jaded and cheap to see beyond the 10$ of clothes on their back.
It doesn't matter if it's clones or clothes, because even though it was clothes, it SOUNDED like clones to most people who watched it.

I feel like arguing about it now is pointless. If the line was clothes, which it was, they should have had him emphasize the TH.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Reign.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the single engine craft discussion all over.
At least that one eventually ended.

It's so weird that so many of us heard cessna. I heard it, and I didn't even know that word until I didn't hear it on Venture Brothers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NeoSeeker posted:

Did they retcon triana's memory of what happened at the end of first season?
Possibly. They've shown several times that her memory has been wiped.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm either acting as the barer of bad news or piling on, but I can't help it.

Shindragon, has anybody told you that your title text has a flub in it? It's supposed to be Manboro miles. Like Marlboro miles, which were(are?) points on packs of cigarettes you could redeem for stupid prizes from a catalog.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

X_Toad posted:

Out of curiosity, what is Warburton's "big role" right now? Venture Bros. obviously isn't a very steady source of work, and the last time I've heard his voice was in Archer as Rip Riley. I remember when he was a regular on Kim Possible and that Kuzco show and The Tick, has he done anything with the same kind of regularity since or is Venture Bros. the last one? Or is he more of a live-action actor?
Joe from Family Guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is the Patton Oswalt bit Jackson talked about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

I marked out a little that he referenced it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Breaking Bad is censored and missing scenes on Netflix too.

Bit odd.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In much of Texas, most people call rednecks "bubbas", and make fun of them every bit as much as we do.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As far as I've been told, only two episodes of Venture Brothers were done using flash-like keyframe animation. The pilot, and the Jacket special. Everything else has been traditionally animated.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nathan Fillion Spider Man is named Mark Knopfler.

Mark Knopfler is the lead singer of Dire Straits.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Djarum posted:

No the bully was calling him "Mark Knopfler" because of the headband he was wearing looked very close to the look Mark Knopfler had during the Brothers in Arms area of Dire Straits.
How the gently caress did I miss that? :doh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember if it is Welker or Lamarche, but one of them did a character whose voice was then pitched down electronically. When the character came back in the later episode, the voice actor went and listened to the episode to refamiliarize themselves with the voice, didn't know about the electronic manipulation and adjusted their voice naturally to do the same thing because they assumed they'd done that the last time :stare:
It was LaMarche as Morbo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a reproduction of a legit homemade one Doc saw on a punk rock girl somewhere according to an old interview.
It was in a Season 2 commentary, I believe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WrathOfBlade posted:

Are these they?
Who talks like that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

:eyepop: I just found out what "Brando's got us on our bellies and he's reaching for the butter" is referencing. This loving show.
Share with those of us who still don't know?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Venturion/Vendata/Blue Morpho?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrSlam posted:

Then again I'm LDS and
You're, like, super not allowed to like Venture Brothers, aren't you?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrSlam posted:

And I choose to watch Swedish Murder Machine Brock have kinky bondage sex with Wariana while 21 kicks the poo poo out of Harangutang.
This whole post was just the best. Thanks for enlightening me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shindragon posted:

I honestly don't think Gary killed Wandering Spider either.
Have you not seen the finale yet? Because they revealed that Gary hasn't killed anybody, and one dude ate all of their butts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean is also a quality starter episode.

...gently caress, now I want to do a VB marathon.
This person gets it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I prefer the idea that he doesn't violate them, he's just weirdly obsessive, which makes it slightly less terrible. It still makes everyone who "knows" that he's molesting his wonder boys awful.

Probably he's doing it all because of whatever messed him up when he was Wonder Boy.
The entire joke is that it plays on how everybody thinks Batman and Robin were gay, and the reveal is that no, when people talk about Wonderboy in that way, the real meaning of it is that he keeps getting Wonderboys killed.

The pedophilia isn't the reveal. It's the setup. The lack of pedophilia is the reveal.

feedmyleg posted:

No. The joke was that Captain Sunshine is a ridiculously innocent/naive guy who can't see how creepy he's coming off. He's Adam West's Batman living in a modern, post-Jason Todd world. "Another one?" referred to another sidekick to potentially get murdered. He's a nonsexual character from a more innocent time where having a young male ward was possible, contrasted with a cynical world that assumes the worst. It's the audience who are the monsters.

It's Doc and Jackson actually commenting on their own overuse of pedo jokes.
This right here. It's this.

Data Graham posted:

And then the very next episode you get the Henchmen suiting back up singing Mars by Holst. If there's any single thing I love more than the "Everybody's Free" montage, it's that loving scene.

The one-two punch that began S2, holy hell, TV's never been better
That was the first episode I ever saw and I was loving hooked.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

So now that we've found out that Jonas Venture is still alive, does this mean that the "great man" that Kano killed was the Blue Morpho?

Kano was silent in all his appearances with the old Team Venture so whoever he killed, causing him to subsequently take a vow of silence, wasn't Jonas.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I've seen a lot of people rewatching the series with new episodes, and I'm seeing "wow, this poo poo is hella racist and they use the R word way too much". Yea, early 2000s the R word was totally cool to use and it was used in comedy A LOT, but racist? I guess there's some stuff, but most of it are broad sterotypes you always see in Cartoons.
It was never okay to use. It was just more common and you didn't have to hear from the people you were hurting afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That wasn't a leak or thought to be fake. One of them tweeted it.