Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

By Thor, raiding is powerful. You just roll up with your massive horde of Vikings and you take their money and there's just about poo poo all they can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Anyone wondering where to start with a Norse ruler in Old Gods:

HALFDAN WHITESHIRT

KILL ALL ANGLES AND SAXONS :black101:

This is Jorvik about two months after Halfdan's tragic death in bed; Northumberland went independent due to Gavelkind but some loyalists within the Jarldom forced the Jarl, my Nephew, to give the title back and swear fealty to me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shadeoses posted:

I've been trying to get a full conversion mod working with the new patch, and I've isolated the issue. 'adjacencies.csv' can't be changed at all. The only way for the game to load without crashing is to copy the vanilla file over, and have portages and straits randomly crisscrossing the Empire. It's pretty weird.

I can't remember the details of what they did but the Luc Invicta and Elder Kings people on the official forums have this problem figured out I believe.

Anyway I just got home from raiding Rome and Venice. My boys sailed into port carrying 1247 gold. I can only imagine the epic, world-shattering party that is now going on in Jorvik.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I just spent a century uniting the Empire of Britannia as the heirs of Ragnar Hairy-Breeks based in Jorvik (edited the file so Norse can make the empire because loving gavelkind would rip the kingdoms apart every time I died otherwise), but that's not the story here.

Reviewing the world - Scandinavia is loving terrifying by the way - I went to see if any Zoroastrians remained over by the Caspian. A couple of provinces cling to the fire as the Seljuks invade. But... what's this? In Persia proper?

:stare:

The last time I looked at this part of the world was only about 40 years ago when there was nothing in the region that wasn't Islamic except for those Mazdaki provinces below the Aral Sea. The man responsible for this is one Shah Kosrau the Liberator, who apparently came to power 36 years ago. I don't know where he came from, he's the first of his House. I don't know how he beat the gently caress out of the Muslims so comprehensively despite his fairly impressive stats, but the Shahdom of Kosrau is huge and powerful. I don't know how he's converted so many provinces so effectively, but the Manichean religion looks pretty well restored and established.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Annath posted:

I want to start a custom ruler Thorgenics program to create a dynasty of genius berserkers. However, I prefer my genetic Wunderkind be legitimate, rather than legitimized bastards. Is sibling marriage possible, or only "giving a good tumble" on the down low?

Easiest way is to just open the console and type marry_anyone though I believe you need to do this any time you load a game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone played the "Winter King" mod? I have been holding off on buying TOG until the modding scene caught up with it, but now I see that Winter King and VIET have comparability patches out. I already like VIET, but I never got around to playing the king.

I've played it, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. You can legitimize Arthur Pendragon and go off uniting Britain as him, in the name of Christ. Or try to remake a Roman Empire based in Britain. Or you can play as a Pict and defend Britain against all the foreigners.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pipski posted:

I'm even worse at this game than I am at HoI2. Clear something up for me - I can't just start a plot against anyone, right? I only have two ambition options - have a daughter or get rich - but I want to assassinate my brother before he kills my kid.

You can start a plot against almost anyone, actually, but for the most part you don't do it from the Click To Choose A Plot bar on the intrigue screen. Instead, go to the character sheet of whoever you're gunning (knifing?) for, and there's a little icon where your own Choose Ambition button is (just under their big Coat of Arms). Click that and you can select a plot to start against them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

TOOT BOOT posted:

The latest official comment is that we're getting 2 more years of expansions:
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/341505597478432768

Then presumably CK3 in 2015 or 2016.

It's barely been out a year and we've already had this much new content. By the time 2016 rolls around CK2 is going to be a hell of a game :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There was a major patch recently and it broke all the mods. GoT hasn't updated yet. In fact as far as I know only Project Balance and The Winter King have updated since 1.10 hit, of the major mods.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Enigma89 posted:

gently caress, I bought this game just because of that mod.

Don't worry, it'll get updated pretty soon. Just play vanilla for a bit, I prefer mods myself too but even on release day CK2 was a hell of a game and it has only improved since.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I trust you need an exceptionally high diplomacy and intrigue to pull off being Sir Bearington?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

SkySteak posted:

I assume this is going to break saves? :smith:

On the Pox forums Doomdark says it's save compatible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Whilst I like the sound of this, I'd honestly pay a full DLC's price just for the ability to join plots you learn of.

:hist101:: So I hear you're plotting to kill my firstborn son.
:byodame:: I swear I know not what you mean, my liege!
:hist101:: I'm in.
:j:: What?
:hist101:: I'm in. He's a useless rear end in a top hat who brings me nothing but trouble.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Has anyone experimenting with modding figured out a way to get piety and prestige onto buildings? TOG added a Monthly Piety To Liege attribute that you can attach to things but it seems to only work coming from temple holders and sadly my hope that it might be shortcut and available to you directly if you put it on your own castle buildings seems to have been in vain.

I'm back to working on my EK building submod and it'd be really useful to be able to attach prestige and/or piety gains to buildings, especially when you're talking about things like holding White-Gold Tower and so on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Try using monthly_character_prestige/monthly_character_piety. (Unless that's limited to patrician mansion upgrades for some reason.)

Already tried that and it does seem to be mansion-only. Why, I cannot fathom. :psyduck: It does show up on the building popup but you don't actually get the stuff you're supposed to be once it's built.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LowellDND posted:

Okay. What is a good spread for the tax/levy laws? I havent touched them. And is it better if the pope appoints bishops, or if I do?

The optimal laws tend to vary for Castles, Cities, and Temples. Let's go through them real quick (These are all just my opinions, nothing authoritative about it)

Castles tend to have a good amount of soldiers and moreover they tend to be better soldiers. They have low incomes, however because they are so ubiquitous you'll still make significant money taxing them, so try not to let it fall below Low Taxes. I usually go for one of the middling levy options just to keep my vassals from getting too mad but you can push it higher as long as you keep taxes and crown authority reasonable.

Cities are all about the dosh, so I usually pump taxes up to max and drop levies down to nothing. Use the income to build your own holdings up, hire mercs, and pay holy warriors, and the lack of their levies won't hurt you.

Temples usually provide a balance of both, but you want to keep the church sweet for two reasons: First because if a bishop likes you more than the religious head, you get more from him, and vice versa (high taxes don't matter if he hates you and just gives the tithes all to the Pope), and second because you now gain monthly piety from your vassal priests depending on their holdings. Generally keep these at None or Low.

Papal Investiture makes the Pope and your religious boys happy, but there's a major benefit to Free Investiture, which is that you can assign almost any male in your family except your immediate heir to the Bishopric and they'll be omitted from succession. If you've got a lot of kids this can really save your bacon by keeping them out of trouble and stopping the usual assassination shenanigans or civil wars upon your death.

Also remember that in the Cultural Techs you will build up, over time, better relations with your various vassals. By the time you get to like Feudal Vassal Opinions V that's +10 to your relations, which could offset a higher levy law or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah this is true, another reason to keep the Big Guy happy is because excommunication is a massive problem that will gently caress you six ways from Sunday. And if the Pope comes to you saying "Yo switch to Papal Investiture bro" then generally you want to just do it and rectify it at a later time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah the game could definitely do with a bit more finesse in regards to rebellions and might benefit from some sort of fear aspect to opinions, be it just a simple "Craven vs. Tyrant +10" or something more in-depth and/or hidden. I can totally understand some opportunistic bastards trying to rebel against a child or someone they think is a soft touch, but if I've ruled for decades and am either reasonably benevolent and enlightened, or alternatively massively brutal towards rebels, I'd say I should be fairly safe regardless of other considerations.

Perhaps most simply coalitions could still form but would require significantly more support before they actually take a shot at their goals? If you've seen a couple of rebellions crushed and the ringleaders publicly tortured to death or something, that's likely to encourage rebellion, but it's also going to make sure you're damned confident about victory before you start anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

GrossMurpel posted:

So I'm trying to get access to those glorious horse archer retineus and tactics, how would I go about getting a Mongol into my court? I can't simply invite them because their reasoning is always "False Religion ------" which makes it impossible to sway them into coming over. I'm completely out of ideas.

Raid until you capture a Mongolian woman, make her your concubine.

If you're not playing someone with raids and concubines I don't know what to tell you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kainser posted:

You can capture people in any form of war.

Exactly, war. You don't need to officially war to raid, you can just show up with 10,000 screaming Norsemen, which is far safer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Necroneocon posted:

I am 35 pages behind this thread but after 20 pages of goon sperginess about "pretty borders" I was hoping that Wiz hasn't done his last CK2 plus because I want him to add something that makes every county a random color because pretty border colors are the dumbest thing to complain or freak out about. It's not ADD, it's just really dumb and the gooniest thing possible.

So please Wiz, can you do that if you haven't made the last CK2 plus, thank you I will love you forever. That or make all county colors black. :sparkles:

You don't really 'get' Paradox games, do you?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tindahbawx posted:

Would there happen to be a mod that lets you mass send Intrigue Plot invitations to a whole bunch of characters at once?

Clicking each one, clicking send, clicking Intrigue again, Clicking the invite button, Selecting the next one.....etc...etc... gets very old very fast.

Like say a bunch of checkboxes down the invite list of people that you can just tick to mass invite?

Similarly a mod to tell everyone involved in plots to knock it off at once would be nice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dauntasa posted:

Looks like I'm sticking with vanilla!

Seriously! C'mon Wiz, get it together.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Demiurge4 posted:

How much is Constantinople worth? Venice usually nets a nice 50 gold for the capitol.

Constantinople is worth fuckloads, usually over 100. It's easily the best province I've found for raiding, though it does take a lot longer to siege due to the Theodosian Walls.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Christ, can you imagine the :supaburn: that occurs every time an election rolls around in Byzantium? It's a whole new layer of intrigue and politicking on top of the regular stuff.

I'm playing an Elder Kings game as Pyandonea, which I've just united after a 94-year long struggle. Where's your precious immortality now, Orgnum? Not so hot now that your favorite balcony was sabotaged and you fell to your death, huh?

Once I get some ships Alinor is hosed :black101:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rejected Fate posted:

Weeeeell I just killed a lot of Caliphs for no real reason then. Whoops.

Oh man, the history books are going to be a hell of a thing for your future.

quote:

In 1124 Emir Rejected Fate was known to be responsible for the deaths of seven of his rivals, and the 'accidental' deaths of nineteen more can be inferred to be his doing as well. However, it later turned out that there was no need for him to do this whatsoever. Upon confrontation with this fact, the now-Caliph Rejected Fate was reported to have said "Whoops."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rejected Fate posted:

Something really needs to be done about vikings in Azerbaijan in CK2+ :psyduck:

Yeah, they need to be tolerated!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Daktar posted:

Tell me my borders look pretty. TELL ME THEY'RE STILL PRETTY!

Welp, no sleep for me tonight, or I'll have nightmares about this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fardels Bear posted:

Anyone else have their son come back from Mikelgaard like this?

At least he's not gay! :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Considering they're supposedly 'smaller' DLCs I'm betting one alt-historical widget like Sunset Invasion and one Enhancement/Tweak pack to add more diplo options and rivalries and suchlike without actually adding in new game modes or massive content additions.

That was my first guess as well when I read the quotes. It definitely sounds like one sensible, mechanics-oriented one and one wackier one.

Personally I'm gunning for Atlanteans.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baron Porkface posted:

how do I proactively deal with someone gathering a host?

This is really a three-part solution.

First, assess how many knives would plausibly exist in Europe at the time - discount wooden and blunt ones, but anything sharp and concealable should be counted.
Second, armed with this knowledge, purchase all of the knives.
Third, drive these knives into the back of the individual who is gathering a host to attack you.

e; ^^^ t:mad:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine posted:

LODS OF EMONE

I've been enjoying Sonendar all day as the Clockwater dynasty but this insane Morganite brilliance is something else. :10bux:

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a limit on how many children you can have on one character?

Not a hard limit but I believe there are a couple of modifiers that reduce your chances of having more kids as you have them. I might be full of poo poo though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lord Lambeth posted:

Have paradox given any indication on what they plan to do for further DLC? I'm just curious how much longer they'll keep tweaking things.

If I'm remembering right (And I might not be because I'm often an idiot), they said they've got a couple years of DLCs still planned out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Strudel Man posted:

Dear god. The dark ages Britannia mod is certainly interesting and thorough, but there are a fair number of questionable design decisions. Like the one where if the High Kingdom of Britannia is inherited by someone with martial below 11 (or below age 20, or who has less than 500 prestige, or a number of other requirements), it immediately and completely dissolves.

Certainly a surprise when you've been destroying kingdom titles to get everything nice and unified under the High King, and suddenly you're dropped down to a count.

Holy poo poo that's absurd, I'm glad I didn't play a very long game of it so I never came across that :psyduck:

Also, crossposting this from the general Paradox thread because I'm kind of dumb and had both open at once when I wrote it.

Is there an easy way to make a new map or adjust the existing one extensively? Obviously more than one mod has done so but I'm wondering if things like Sonendar have taken months of work or what. Any tutorials? There's one or two on the Pox forums but it seems pretty darned longwinded to add one province and I can't imagine it'd be viable to come up with a whole new map all by yourself like DrSunshine has if every single province requires that much.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hooray all the mods are broken :woop:

Enatic makes me happy though. Very happy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Stalins Moustache posted:

Just a quick question!
I love the Total War games, but I don't like the combat :s I simply love playing diplomat and taking over all of a continent and a country and making my kingdom superior. If I like that type of diplomacy game, is this game worth playing? I recieved the game as a gift some time ago, and I tried to play it as well but holy hell it is way too much to take care of. Should I just push myself through that?

Oh boy are you in for a treat son. Stick with the game until it clicks, this is the game you've been dreaming of.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nolanar posted:

The nice thing about Elective is picking the best member of your entire dynasty for succession. And then the game does this.

Paradox, why do you do these things to me :qq:

:ck2:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

SynthOrange posted:

Should have had a blot.

A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted to make Blots able to sacrifice an arbitrarily large number of prisoners so that you could basically put 50 people to the noose if you had them. Imagine my disappointment when I found that it was not a simple "max_sacrifices = 4" but rather every single sacrifice has its own mini event chain and duplicating it would be more trouble than I could be arsed with. :arghfist::effort:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine posted:

(Paradox forums Sonendar)

Oh hey, that was me! (Using my girlfriend's account.) I'm very happy to see a few mechanics in for Sonendar because, welp, sacrificing heathens to Them Who Dwell Beneath the Deeps :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

YouTuber posted:

http://www.medievalists.net/2013/07/21/crac-des-chevaliers-struck-by-missile-heavily-damaged/

One of the most famous crusader castles, Crac des Chevaliers, just got whacked by an airstrike in Syria. Pretty extensive damage to a really historic building. What a shame.

Oh gently caress :ohdear: That place is amazing, I've always wanted to go.

• Locked thread