Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Inside Outside posted:

How do you reform Norse religions? Do you get something in the decisions menu after you hold all the holy sites? That would have been really helpful to know before I lost my grand Danish kingdom :(

Upper-left corner of the Religion screen. You need 3/5 Holy Sites.

Loaded up a game as Jorik, fighting Saxons and Scotsmen. Won the first war, Planned Invaded Mercia, took it, and created England.

It all went downhill from that. My heir, who went off to join the Varangians, came back a Christian, and because the Norse Faith was not reformed, I had no way in hell of getting him back.

But I should have taken down Wessex before they became an unstoppable juggernaut that rolled over me with alliances and other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

So I just had a civil war to lower crown authority that I couldn't win because the loving Scots were sitting on two counties. I had 100% warscore, but because they occupied a few holdings, I couldn't win, I couldn't hire enough mercenaries being Norse.

Was that a recent change? Because I can't declare peace, I can't force my rebelling vassal to declare peace for the meaningless territories they're holding, and I can't muster the manpower to force the Scots out of my territory because of the civil war.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, most of northern France has been under the rule of East Francia for so long that it's culture-shifted to German.

Most Frankish peoples are gone, except for the independent lands down south.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Annath posted:

Hmmm... How does one make a trait?

It's not a trait, actually, it's a flag applied to the dynasty in question. I've always wondered if it can be edited mid-game, so I'm not sure of that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

crm posted:

Is there any bonus to having more than the 3 pagan holy sites to reform things?

Every Holy Site held by a member of your religion adds 10% to Moral Authority. So it increases the baseline.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I also think there's a little confusion with the "Petty King" mechanic.

An independent Duke of the proper culture is called "King" of a "Petty Kingdom". In game terms, you're a Duke, and should consider yourself such. When people refer to Kingdoms, they mean big realms like Ireland, England, etc.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I played the Elder Kings mod, I don't know if anyone else has itt, but good lord is it broken. It has some legitimately neat ideas, but it is broken as gently caress.

I've played it, it's definitely playable, but I had to abandon my last save game because the Knahten Flu hit and I finally understood why Paradox didn't simulate the Black Death- it's no fun to play when all you're doing is changing rulers every 5 seconds and clicking away death messages.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

"Special event: Illuminati: have Jewish heads of five major kingdoms".

Turn the entire map Jewish:

"Achievement Unlocked: Ahead of Schedule"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Dev Diary 1 for Sons of Abraham, focusing on Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

The dev diary details the College of Cardinals and other such features.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Boing posted:

Is there a way to mod the 'Designated Heir' honorary title into non-Republic games and have it work properly in a Primogeniture succession? Or is it too tied into the Republic succession system?

e: Nevermind, looks like it's hardcoded to patricians

Could you make a reasonable imitation by having the title set to use 'Born in the Purple', stripping the trait from whatever children are born with it, and using the 'Despot' honorary title that makes them count as 'Born in the Purple' (thus leap-frogging the succession)?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it seems to me like being a Muslim hinders a large part of the game I enjoy, which is seeing where my bloodlines lead.

I think in my next game when SoA comes out, I'm going to mod in a trait like Sayyid that is given to anyone who has a parent with that trait, just to see where my bloodline ends up leading without having to comb through the family trees.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I think I accidentally trolled the paradox forums. The CK2+ dev team has completely integrated the cultural titles edits (that I only updated and provided) to their base game. This has pissed off a number of people and it's created about 4 pages of tears on the CK2+ thread in the paradox forums. I don't know whether to be proud or sad.

The Paradox forum is full of terrible people, you should be proud that they're weeping over your good idea!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh, just lost my game. After 300 years the Shadowing Dynasty was overthrown from the Kingdom of Wales (now consisting of nearly all of Ireland and a good chunk of England). Shadowvia, mightiest castle in all of Britain, held by the bastards.

I could deal with the first revolt, but they then called in all my other vassals. Seriously, I had no chance.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I like SoA, it was priced right for what it was- a smaller addon than, say, Old Gods- but at the same time I would like it better if they'd focused on a single religion rather than all three of Christianity, Islam, and adding Judaism. Give that religion a real strong Old Gods treatment, you know, then move on to the next one.

Granted, there are plenty more expansions to come, and hell, I'll buy them all since I love CK2.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Assuming 'Strange' in Elder Kings means Secret Vampire, it's way, way too common. Half of Tamriel seems to have become vampires. All my children are vampires, and they keep trying to vampire me! My wife is a vampire! My neighbors are vampires, their neighbors are vampires, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Akatosh himself was a vampire. It's a vampire party, and I'm the only one horrified by it!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Don't think Not Jeanne gave birth to the demonspawn, he married Not Jeanne to his heir, the demonspawn was his daughter.

I got the event chain playing Elder Kings (tweaked to fit the setting), and I raised an eyebrow when my vassals bitched about a woman leading them, since this is Tamriel and a woman fighting isn't exactly uncommon.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

CK2, just released, was a vast improvement on CK1. With all the love and care by patch and expansion, they're no longer in the same league.

Try the demo, it should give you a good idea if you can run it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I demand that somebody dig up the text for EVTDESC_SOA_3051, the Antichrist regenerating his eyes must be the creepiest godddamn thing in the game.

Somebody posted an event here before that shows that the Antichrist can recover from castration.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if they're thinking about doing this as a stand-alone- where you can only buy Rajas of India rather than the base game, for example, but in response you don't get to play any of the original content or the DLC that requires the original game. It has the added bonus of allowing future DLC to flesh out various Indian aspects, rather than DLC for DLC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Well in terms of 'deepened' there's still theocracies, inland republics, holy orders that are locked to us. But I agree, there's nothing wrong with adding new areas. Phase 2 is only just beginning, there are a few more DLCs planned.

Pragmatically, unless this is a standalone I would venture that this will be the expansion for India and the rest will need to stand free of it- thus back on the original content (or more map expansions, and more delicious Paradox forum tears). I can't see them doing DLC for DLC. Now, if it IS standalone all bets are off in terms of future DLC for India.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Beamed posted:

I love how overtly they're all posting "WHO CARES ABOUT INDIA THERE'S NO HISTORY THERE GIVE ME BUMFUCK NOWHERE IN EUROPE INSTEAD" without a shred of self-awareness. It's bonkers!

There's a few people out there who are concerned for valid reasons- performance being the primary one- but most of them are just 'Paradox why are you abandoning us Europeans don't you know that the Byzantines are too weak and they need at least 5 more expansions to make them truly great and how dare you now my people will BREED with INDIANS and it'll be awful and you tore away my ability to feel human.'

Really, Paradox DLCs give me two times of enjoyment- first, when they're announced and the Paradox forums just freak (Sunset Invasion was the best for this), and two, when they release and I can actually enjoy them since they're quality.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The Paradox Dev Diary posted:

This system limits your marriage options

I'm very hopeful about this, that it will allow you to set marriage maluses by trait. Not for the European aspects, but for mods that feature multiple races- like keeping Argonians from marrying non-Argonians in Elder Kings (because they can't have children, thus the line dies out).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'll admit, I'm super excited about the changes to the rebellion system, especially if the new Faction Leader calls up the levies rather than everyone spawning their own. I'm sick of having to play whack-a-mole with 10 different armies. Civil Wars tend to be a half-decade slog since the AI moves its armies before mine get there, and I have to manage 3 or 4 different pursuits at once.

Give me two massive stacks crashing against each other so I can win a glorious victory, then despair as my stack is outfought and I have to spend my warchest on mercenaries because drat it, I will not let seven duchies that I could easily re-conquer become independent and make my borders un-pretty! :argh:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the vassal rebellion change is easily my biggest favorite from this patch/DLC. Hopefully revolts will no longer be whack-a-mole with ten small enemy armies, hopefully it can just be settled with stack-on-stack violence.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

No true Michigander should rest until Michigan reclaims its ancient borders and takes back the territory that dares calls itself the 'Wisconsin Territory'. That land has been Michigan from the beginning and this grave injustice must be corrected.

By sword, knife, and good tumble, Michigan shall be made whole once more!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

DStecks posted:

You try coming up with an original city name.

Michigan probably has some of the least imaginative city names imaginable.

We have a town named Hell, the legend going that the founder, angered by the debate, just shouted 'call it Hell for all I care!' and it stuck.

We have a town named Colon, because some guy flipped open the dictionary, saw the word, looked at a map and said 'yeah, that sort of looks like a colon.'

So what I'm saying is sometimes when you're complaining that your town's name sucks, it could be worse. It could always be worse.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Guessing $15, that seems to be standard for the Big Expansions.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Is the CK2->EU4 converter worth it (even at sale price)? I own EU4 but ashamedly haven't started it yet.

Playing on with my converted game was one of the most fun things I've done, so yes, in my opinion, it is worth it, especially on sale.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

So apparently with Nestorians becoming a full-fledged branch of Christianity rather than an Orthodox heresy, the added Nestorian heresy has Cathar gender equality and Zoroastrian marriage mechanics.

Honestly, I'm surprised the Paradox forums aren't burning down in joy.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Is there a reason to make the Indian empire now? Does it have de jure territory?

I think it gets rid of the three Empires and all their de jure territory becomes India. Looking at the decisions, I mean, that's what I think.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Playing Elder Kings, my Argonian Empress is apparently so despised that whoever she nominates won't get elected as Emperor. So I picked a different candidate and all of a sudden all my vassals want my genius heir. My empress is a genius, too, so it's pretty funny.

"Hah! You don't think your son is fit to rule, you're so smart, WE'LL SHOW YOU!"

"Yes. Yes you will :smug:"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Angrymog posted:

My current king keeps wanting to shag various daughters in law and courtiers. Every time I let him, they die in childbirth :(

Modded? My Elder Kings game, courtiers have a 'seduce liege' option, so it seems every time I marry one of my sons off their wife then decides that while they're there, might as well...

It's sort of a dynastic tradition, apparently.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah if you're not cucking every chance you get then you are playing this game wrong.

I always tumble, unless my guy is in love with his wife and doesn't have Lustful. If you're not going full in on the insanity, you're not playing the game right. You have sex with everything that wants you. And I mean EVERYTHING.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

1. No, you can convert at any time you choose, the world will 'advance' to EU4's start date.

2. Everything included in CK2 will be converted.

3. That should work, you'd need to touch it up either with some editing before or editing after- the converter gives you no options, it just converts. If your nation has minimum crown authority all your duke/king vassals, I believe, will be converted as vassals.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

The Aragon-Aragonese DeJure war for Aragon with their Aragonese ally king Aragon of Aragon.

Just how exactly did you end up with 3 aragons?

Guessing it's the Kingdom, an independent Duchy, and an independent county.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think for the maid there is an event that can fire where you have a small chance to try and seduce her and remove celibacy, as well as making her your lover. Maybe not, I have only ever gotten it on Elder Kings games.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know about those specific cultures, but it's probably handled like the Germans: ignored, replaced with one German culture.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Rumda posted:

So no count of a forgotten tiny densely populated island in Lake Michigan then.

Woah now, that sort of thing is perfectly possible without mass media characters.

(Submitting an idea, anyways).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

Not that event. It was basically, "Hey these republic schmucks have been working out of this city you control without giving you a cut. Do you want to go gently caress up their poo poo? poo poo might get real real quick if you do though. gently caress poo poo up Y/N" I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea.

Yeah, there are two ways you can interact with trade posts. The first is this event, which is as you said, 'gently caress poo poo up', and might end with you burning down the trade post (bad), getting a bribe and walking away (good), or the opposing family using their diplomacy to talk your supporters away (bad).

The other way they're thinking of is that one Republic might ask you to embargo a different Republic, with a rather hefty bribe and the promise of paying the peace cost if you lose. If you succeed, all trade posts of the Republic you declared war on lose their trade posts in your territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Yeah definitely. I'd be interested to hear about it, I was thinking of giving it a try.

It's a very fun mod, especially if you know anything about TES. I'm actually considering LPing it whenever the next version comes out and the glut of Paradox LPs dies down a bit.

• Locked thread