Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where the hell are the Haswell Thinkpads?

I really want something just like the 11" Macbook Air - extreme portability but without the price point or do I not have any options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any Surface Pro 4 users?

Considering ditching the Thinkpad but hesitant.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it possible to install other OSes (Windows,CentOS) or boot from a USB Drive with a Chromebook? If so, what functionality is lost?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don’t recall reliability issues with current Surface products but earlier products were rough.

On the other hand, pretty much every super-thin device - Apple, ASUS, Microsoft, etc. uses glue and if they something breaks they’ll often just simply give you a new device.

The Surfacebook 2 looks really, really good but I don’t see a 13” laptop that’s still slim and accepts a 1050 or 1060.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it possible or realistic to use a Surface Book Studio with a eGPU Thunderbolt Enclosure? I'm back to traveling for work and while I know it would be overkill would it work?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone switched from a desktop pc to a gaming laptop but still plays stuff like Squad, Battlefield or Escape from Tarkov? I'm one of those weird digital nomads and lugging around a whole pc even an SFF kind of sucks. It looks like Intel and Nvidia are releasing new chips this winter and will this finally be possible? I don't have to play at max details or 4k but 1440p with nothing less than 30fps would be nice.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1583692299308978176?s=20&t=OWSbLq4HksVGWgTTv0Tqpw

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

:words:

There will always be new stuff coming out, I'd probably not expect mobile 40x0s to be widely available until Spring or later. You have a budget in mind?

My budget is about ~$1,500. And I'd have the device probably hooked up to an external monitor. According to some of the recent press releases we should see som announcements at CES. Maybe it'll just be a paper launch, but I think it's worth waiting a few weeks to see how things turn out at the least.

Hadlock posted:

Battlefield runs ok at 1080p on my 1050ti

Anything newer is probably more than adequate

Nice.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

A whole slew of new gaming laptops announced at CES. Asus in particular has revamped several models. ROG Strix [Scar] coming with new 16 and 18(!) inch 16:10 displays. The Scar has an optional mini-LED display. 13th gen Intel and RTX 4000 series, as well as a few Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 series machines. New cooling setup with 3 fans in some systems to cool 175 watt 16GB RTX 4090. It looks like they've even added a camera which is only notable because the last few years of ROG Strix machines famously omitted the webcam, lol. The Zephyrus G14 is also getting an available mini-LED display as well as Zen 4 cpu's and up to an RTX 4090 as well which is probably going to be insane in terms of performance and price. Going to be an exciting (and expensive) year for gaming laptops.

This is interesting,

https://twitter.com/anandtech/status/1349446367878414336?s=20&t=oXz-Ilu4ebX6YAIbCjx4Bw

I'm kind of confused why they didn't just use a Thunderbolt interface, but it seems like a really cool concept. Does anyone know how the earlier models turned out? It does seem like it'd be a couple grand but what's also a little interesting is that it'll be available around February.

Is ASUS the only manufacture doing this?

Edit - Blah, this is the earlier RTX 3000 press release but they updated it for the RTX 4000 Mobile - ROG XG Mobile 2023

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 5, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there such a thing as a 13" laptop with a 3060 or 3070?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That doesn't seem to be terribly outrageous, but we still don't have any benchmarks or reviews. Supposedly, we'll see something around February.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Nvidia's website is now listing pricing and pre-orders for RTX Mobile 4000 laptops. They don't have every vendor but it's a good preview of what will be available along with pricing - link

I've been crawling through benchmarks for a while but does anyone know how well a RTX 4000 Mobile would play something like Squad, Escape from Tarkov and Battlefield 2142? It doesn't have to be a ultra quality but if I left the majority of settings at medium what kind of FPS would I get a 1440p and 4k? Or what game is this comparable too?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I am going to be traveling for a while but still want to play real pc games without lugging around a whole system. For my work laptop, I've got one of those portable laptop mounts and I'd like to do the same with a gaming laptop. It works with my Surface Book 2 despite being a little heavy but it mounts perfectly on the stand I have below but a little concerned some of the bulkier devices might not fit - has anyone actually done this?

The Legion 16" laptop shared earlier with a i7/16GB/3070 Ti seems like a really good deal for $1,500. Is that the general price point for 16" laptops? Do slimer non-gaming 3070 or even 4070 16" laptops even exist? The only thing that stood out to me was the Samsung Galaxy Book 3 but it was well above $2k.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Looks like the only thing the 4070 has going for it is the extra GPU cores but memory and memory speed are the same.

I am just using the laptop mount to get my device at eye level while my keyboard and mouse are on the desk. Normally, it'd just be a laptop facing me but with the Surfacebook or other laptop convertibles I can flip it around and have the screen directly facing me which is pretty cool.

The Surface Book is heavy but it's still relatively slim enough to fit on the stand but I can't touch the screen and need to be careful not to wobble the desk.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 15, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is the ASUS ROG Flow X16 the only 2-in-1 convertible laptop/tablet that has a Nvidia RTX GPU and a 16" Screen? Is there anything similar from other manufactures?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there any update on RTX 4-Series Mobile availability? I need to buy something soon but older RTX 3-Series are getting close to the $1,200 mark too...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

What are you looking for?

Performance wise, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between a 3060/4060. Basically, whatever is the best deal but these recent ones do have FHD not QHD screens.

I'll probably wait until April to pick something up but it is absolutely wild you can get such good hardware at sub $1,000.

Does AMD not have something equivalent to a 3060/4060 mobile?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 1, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

?? It's a big difference between the 3060 and 4060. 4060 hangs around a 3070ti mobile (more or less, some things higher, some lower. Probably averages out a smidge below) and keeps a lot of performance as you scale down the wattage. I think you may have been comparing the 3060 desktop vs the 4060 mobile. Those are pretty close.

AMD has the 6700M/6800M, but only a few models have that. They're good cards, you just lose some of RTX advantage. Mostly they just don't have a lot out in the wild. The 7000 mobile is released but I've yet to see any. I'm not holding my breathe that they'll have a huge footprint either.

And yes, waiting to snipe the right machine is the best bet. This is historically kind of a cruddy time though. Historically the next best time for good sales won't really come until mid-summer. However the calendar has been weird for a while so who knows?

Shouldn't new RTX 4-Series Laptops being come out really soon? Lenovo, HP, etc. all have place holder pages but there's no way to order anything expect for some of GigaByte, Acer and Asus models that are mostly higher end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

:words:

This is just guesswork though. But either way things are slim right now, but they usually are this time of year.

Things have got to change soon though, last year ASUS Models (2022) are still going for their original MSRP of $2.4k+.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any thoughts as to how this would perform in the real world? They even advertise using it with a eGPU.

https://twitter.com/surface/status/1643274729946742784?s=20

Edit - Looks like major AAA titles like Metro Exodus get capped around ~40FPS @ 4k or 1440p [Feel free to check my quick searching] but it's technically feasible for other titles even at higher resolutions. If the bandwidth in the future increases eGPU gaming while expensive could be a realistic option.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 6, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a reason why the Asus Flow X16 is so hard to get in the United States? Or any ETA?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I have a Lenovo Legion Slim 7 15". I don't know what the exact difference between all the models but I am super happy with mine. It's kind of blown away that I can finally actually play modern games on laptop that still relatively portable.

The only thing that you might miss is that the rear extension of the laptop protrudes due to the heatsink. I can see why they did it but it just barely fits in my laptop backpack.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How realistic is 4k laptop gaming at least something like ~60fps?

The reason I'm asking is because I've recently left QHD and found the enjoyment of a 32" 4k monitor. It's freaking phenomenal for work but gaming is a stretch. I'm running a 3060 mobile right now and I am often finding myself reducing this to Full HD or just 1920 which works okay-sh for the games I really like Squad or Company of Heroes 3. Looking at the benchmarks on NotebookCheck... Is it worthwhile to pickup something like a 3080 Ti or 4080 mobile? There doesn't seem to be a significant difference between a the 3060/4060 vs. 3070/4070 excluding the Ti 3070 variant.

Is this realistic? I'm impressed by the build quality of my current Lenovo Legion laptop with just a 3060 mobile. It just works, plays the majority of games and as long as I can hit medium details without crazy amounts of anti-aliasing I am quite satisfied but once frames go below < 30fps the experienced is kind of ruined. Looking at some of newer laptops like a 4080/i7 or older i7/3080ti go below $2k that sounds like a good deal or am asking for too much?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The biggest reason I want one is because I am at the point in my life where I don't care about building a PC. And if I did building something I'd want an SFF PC but making my last Dan A4 while doable was still painful. Something from Lenovo or whomever else means I know it'll work out the box and it doesn't take up that much space. If something goes wrong, I can just mail to whatever and get decent support as opposed to troubleshooting it myself. If I ever need to travel but still want to play games, there's no issue just putting it in my backpack.

I'm not going to buy anything now but it doesn't seem like it's a wise decision to watch prices especially after the holiday season. What's a little annoying if anything is the lack of a decent filter specifically for a 3080TI or 4080 on the major sites.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 5, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If I could find a pre-built in something like a smaller SFF-PC Case, I'd do it but I'm just not a fan of full size or even mid size towers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone used a 3xxx/4xxx in a traditional Lenovo Thinkpad? I'm curious if the thermals or fan noise levels are any better than the Lenovo Legions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any ideas on availability for newer Intel processors? Is it just basically Q1 2024 or do we know more than that?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://x.com/PCMag/status/1745052973347045755?s=20

It starts at $2,199 which isn't bad but drat it's disappointing to see Thunderbolt continually behind. On the other hand is my math right you'd need an interface that supports 256gigabits per second? That seems way too high...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've been scouring for a 4080 laptop for a while and they haven't dropped much in price ~$2k but there are great deals on 4060s or older 3000s for around ~$1.2k. What's really annoying is how so many sites don't let you search by the exact graphics card model.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

What is the durability of the Lenovo slim pro line like? Primary use is games on long flights and it will live in my backpack next to my thicc work laptop.

Best Buy has an open box with a ryzen 7/3050/16gb ram and I need to replace my thinkpad by next weekend. I'd like a 2 in 1 with a graphics card again but getting one soon and cheap but still durable is higher priority.

I've been using a Lenovo Legion for almost a year now and I'm impressed. It does have a gaudy LED keyboard the building quality is just as good as a normal Thinkpad.

Gaming laptops have come a long, long way. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking about just getting a gaming laptop as opposed to building a desktop. It's more than good enough for most games and too convenient.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't see the point of upgrades when you can get a Lenovo Legion Slim with a 4060 for ~$1,200. That's an insanely good deal for a computer that will last a long time, portable and can play games well.

It's going to be insane to see what happens over the next few years. Laptops being able to play today's titles at entry level models is probably something that going to happen sooner than we think.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

This is going to check someone's boxes

Legion 5i Pro 16"
32GB RAM
1TB SSD
$1000
Sold by Costco

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legio...4000159489.html

If it was an AMD it'd be a full BINGO.

That is an insanely good deal. I bought the 2022 / 3060 model last year for about ~$1,600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat, you can now get a 4070 with an i7 for $1,200. That's a incredible amount of value and you can pretty much play every game.