Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WarLocke posted:

How can I get another weapon kit? Having some AOE in Kingsmouth would be nice so I want to build a shotgun, already have a builder and consumer for it, I just don't have an actual gun to use them with.

Shotgun/Elemental all-DPS build, burn the world down :black101:

You basically have 3 options for getting extra weapons in Kingsmouth:

1 - Buy a QL0 weapon from a Venice Vendor (also available just outside agartha in London)
2 - Complete any of the Missions listed here that have a weapon reward: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552793&pagenumber=31&perpage=40#post417528411 (Remember, all of these missions are repeatable, albeit with a cooldown).
3 - Complete the mission Scrapyard Defense from Scrapyard Edgar at Edgar's Scrapyard. It rewards a QL3 Weapon toolkit.

Overall, though, crafting is mostly useless and you should really never be buying gear. There's mission's in each zone with appropriate QL gear rewards (see the above link for QL 1-3). And the gear from dungeons is easy and plentiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fathis Munk posted:

The game has a lot of aspects I really like so far, but that "only one mission at a time" thing is getting annoying pretty fast. Do you actually have to do all the missions to stay the appropriate level ?

E : Also how important are the talisman skill points ?

You only need to do about 30% of the missions in a zone to keep your levels up to correspond to progression. Do more if you want, or move on. It's fairly self-paced.

The important thing is that you keep current with your story mission and finish the portion for each zone before moving on.

Talisman skill points give you increased defensive statistic and let you use higher level talismans.

You should try to keep your talismans close to your weapon level.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

xanthan posted:

So was rushing my Chaos skill to 9 asap to use my veteran chaos focus a bad idea? I mean the rest are 3s for my talismans and 4 for my other weapon. Only at Savage Coast although I'm able to do some of the quests in Blue Mountain just fine.

Yeah. Savage Coast is like QL 3-4 and Blue Mountain is like QL5-6. A QL 10 weapon is total overkill.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

greth posted:

So I just finished the Last Night series or whatever on Solomon Island, and am being whisked off to Egypt. However, everything there cons red and all the missions are Devastating. I'm in QL5-6 gear (mostly 5 right now), which was plenty for the story quest inbetween. What gives/what am I missing?

The con for mobs/missions is based on the aggregate of your highest weapon/talisman skills. Before heading off to Egypt, I'd recommend having 2 weapons and all 3 talismans at rank 6 (weapons only need 1 of their 2 tracks at this rank). Just run a few miscellaneous Blue Mountain missions. It'll happen pretty quick.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Smith Comma John posted:

Strike builds don't pan out that well for several reasons, the primary one being that the attack abilities are just too weak for whatever reason (the reason is Funcom). Flame strike (or whatever the 2-resource consumer from ele is) is the exception and is fairly nice damage. "Weaken" is a general class of debuffs; the passive you're talking about applies "Debilitate", a specific type of weaken that reduces damage. "Exposed" (increased damage on the target) is a much better type of Weaken for solo content that you can get from the Breakdown passive and melee weapons.

Final general advice: the static stat buff passives ("+30 hit", etc) are already bad a fraction of the way through the solo content, and are awful in the endgame. Pick up percentage-based damage boosts instead.

Most of this is just flat out wrong.

Striker is a very reasonable builder. Flame Strike is an ok consumer, but suffers a lot of flaws compared to Blaze. And Raging Bullet is ususally equal to or superior to Out for a Kill for Solo play.

The stacking hit buff is abaolutely pheomenal (although the weakend one is, unfortunately, harder to stack than the Frenzy one) all the way up through early Nightmare instances since you have haphazard itemization and Hit is point-for-point the god king stat until capped.

We can provide you with a proper Shotgun/Ele group build when you are ready to do elites/nightmares, and you can even run a strike build there without crippling your grou[ since you can Social Dyname to boost the better geared players' damage and they'll appreciate it.

But until that point, yeah, your build seems pretty reasonable. Miight want to grab a passive healing skill or Turn the Tables for some sustain, but you should be fine. Also, grab a Manifestation of some type from Elemental's outer ring. They are all good in their own ways, and it's best to get adjusted to using them since they are pretty much required in endgame Elemental builds.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

rizzen posted:

So is it worth doing Polaris at all? Just about finished all the quests in the first zone, wondering if it's worth finding a group for this early on.

Yes. Polaris is cool as gently caress and the loot is good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Boooooooooooooooo. I want bullion. Although my housemate might want me to take him suit-shopping for a fancy party for the weekend, so I might miss tomorrow's.

Good thing the raid isn't tomorrow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

You guys aren't on a Wednesday/Sunday schedule anymore?

This is what happens when you treat bogans like real people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rommel1896 posted:

So for DPS in nightmare dungeons I'm using an ancient AR/Shotgun build from months ago. It's still half-decent but is clearly no longer optimized after the recent patches.
What is the current top-DPS build, using say Pistol/Shotgun? My gear is mostly 10.4 with three or four 10.5 pieces.

The current best pistol/shot build is on the offsite forums.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That build is the Weekend Warrior/Generic Solo farming build and wrecks everything super easy and fast that doesn't have some ridiculous gimmick (like fungals). It's not a build for new players or anything other than farming, but it'll chew through Trans missions and Nightmare mobs all day. And yes, for QL10 greens -> QL10.2s, that's still a completely accurate build. Minor tweaks when you get customs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

elhondo posted:

Ankh normal is weird, I'm convinced. I've been running it as a tank in QL8 Blues for a bit, and have run the gamut from smooth to impossibly stupid. And the failed runs have included folks in QL 10. I think having an overgeared healer presents a really hard tanking situation, in that you need the big heals (due to no mitigation with QL8 dungeon drops), and not enough hate generation to overcome a powerful healer.

If you have agitator and blade torrent nothing can pull off you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That dev letter is moist with the tears of broken dreams.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You are leaving a ton of damage on the table by not having a damaging blood consumer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

VisAbsoluta posted:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showpost.php?p=1582237&postcount=31

Is this build any good for newbie, solo play? Not really interested in late game raiding/nightmare dungeons, etc.

You can safely assume that any build that suggests healing talismans and isn't for group healing in dungeons can be shitheaped.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yue posted:

Besides that, I'm stuck in that weird position where I'm upgraded enough that people don't want me for 18/18

I don't know who these people are, but there could not be a more wrong statement about progression in this game.

Unless you have 5 full sets of 10.4/10.4 gear, you aren't done with 18/18.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brain In A Jar posted:

I read someone in chat saying that 100k for the first runspeed upgrade isn't worth it?

Are they full of poo poo?

I like going fast.

There s gently caress all else to spend pxr on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thehumandignity posted:

I don't use melee in dungeons, why are we talking about this. :psyduck:

Because when someone asked you the direct question "Do you use melee in dungeons?", you couldn't figure out how to type "No".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Am I missing something or is the Savage Coast designed to just completely gently caress you up?

Everything is trivial is Kingsmouth for me, I'm wearing all QL3+ weapons and most charms, but the second I try any mission on the Coast I get my poo poo handed to me.

I've gone from being a walking god on one side of a small tunnel to being unsure what will kill me first – the monsters, or diabetes from the sheer number of soda cans I slug constantly like some sort of twisted addict on a binge.

Holy s*** I don't know who all these people giving you advice are but I've never seen them in game and I'm pretty sure they're giving you a bunch of advice that you can't possibly use.

The correct a f****** answer is to skip the missions at the hotel and to just go down the road to the center of town and get the easier quest from there.

Holy s*** what the f*** is wrong with you people.

I'll add it inappropriate swearing later since I'm yelling at my phone and it won't swear for me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bursk posted:

Can I get some advice please re Blood/Fist healing? This isn't for a NM build or anything like that, so it doesn't have to be 'perfect', but I'd still like some suggestions. Currently, I have:

Cauterise
Empathy
Exquisite Corpse
Surgical Steel
The Scarlet Arts

So what to use as an elite? Cold Blooded or Fired Up, maybe? And what should my 7th active be?

Brawler
Healing Sparks
Hot Iron
Lick Your Wounds (I'm guessing this should be replaced, for sure)
Out of the Woods (swap this for Empowerment?)

How are Making Amends and Shadow Medic? They look okay to me, but I need some opinions. Even if I do slot them, I'll still need a replacement for Lick Your Wounds.

Thanks.

The core of fist healing is:
Cauterize/Surgical Steel/Creature Comfort/Empathy
Healing Sparks/Brawler/Making Amends/Empowerment/Improved Bursts

Grats. Roll all your HoTs and Empowerment will give you all the throughput you ever need.

If you want some extra single target heals, take Nurture. If you want AoE heals, take Shelter. Or just take both.

All of the other passives are tiny marginal increases. Like maybe 1%. Maybe. At that point, you could just as easily take a utility passive like Glimmer of Hope. At early Gear levels, Mad Skills is pretty good, but don't feel like you need to throw a ton of AP at pistol for it.

For utility actives, Radiance is good for single target healing, Fired Up/Cold Blooded for AoE, Exquisite Corpse can save a stupid tank, or Hematic Rites if you are supporting terrible melee dps.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

Maybe if you're under geared. I can fist heal 18s in dungeon drops with cauterize/surgical steel.

What do you think the odds of the peraon asking for pre-endgame healing advice is undergeared? :iiam:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reverend Dr posted:

Which would at least give fist healers something to do other than just mash cauterize/surgical steel.

Muzzle on cooldown to keep Rising Vigour fully stacked imo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zasraik posted:

In dungeons what is a shotgun user primarily good for?

Healing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cleretic posted:

I voted for the Orochi female outfit, though. It's weird, but it has appeal.

Yeah. It's called trying to look like Geary.

Spoiler: Everyone wants to be Geary.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mango sentinel posted:

So I'm running around Savage Coast with QL6 blue weapon and QL3 green taismans and feel woefully underpowered what am I doing wrong here?

Not pressing buttons every second.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Or the loving moon could be rising in Virgo.

How about you doofuses post some parses instead of anecdata.

Like I tell you every time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kumo posted:

Regarding crafting- can you only use dust, water or fire components to make talismans or can you add glyph runes too?

The reasons I ask is that often when you disassemble talismans rune components are there too.

Those components make glyphs, which use separate Glyph Toolkits. You can then jam those glyphs into your crafted talismans.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

Today, Cheston's and Platbeard's flamethrowers showed up separately in a parse.

That's normal. It splits names based on the last apostrophe. So Cheston's "Dragon's Breath" becomes Cheston's Dragon's "Breath". It's how ACT works.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cheston posted:

Who actually updated ACT for this game to begin with?

The Pyramidion

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Mayan dungeon was just fine. Don't be daft.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Marx posted:

Because right now it seems like the only way to win is not to play.

You have learned my most important lesson, Grasshopper.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I bet the solution to scenarios is Blades/Chaos. :smug:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

I didn't know you could C4 them until I ran it with someone else and saw them do it. I had just blade/chaos'd them into oblivion.

You're drat rights you did. Never stop spinning.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

Because there's a reason to have more than one rocket launcher?

One for each skin. :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

But think of how many purple overdrives you would need. That's what seven of them?

Just do what I did. Ninja them from goon lair groups.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That was my second Overdrive.

My first came from farming 100 greens from Weekend Warriors. :thurman:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CopperHound posted:

I found one on a steam forum. Can I find people to level with, or should I expect pretty much a solo game until the end game?

The core of this game is exploring Haunted Houses, Haunted Amusement Parks, Haunted Mines, Haunted Egyptian Ruins, Haunted Soviet Nuclear Facilities, and, occassionally Hell Itself. You do some Scooby Doo poo poo and pull off the monster mask to find that the man in the gorilla suit was Old Man Dobbers, but a centuries-old Robot Chaos Demon who was actually eating the missing children.

"Levelling up" is mostly just collecting new abilities for your action bar like they were pokemon and ia really incidental to finding out that ~spoiler spoiler spoiler~ was where Vampires and Werewolves originally came from.

That said, everything except the dungeons that you'll be concerned about is comfortably soloable and you really only need other people to break up the occasional monotony.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The name of the game has always been "exploit early, exploit often". Which, honestly, is one of th ose albatrosses it will never divest itself from.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

There are people for whom they aren't massively laggy?

The opposite. Some fuckwits are still playing on their Commodore 64s, so they "lag" that bad all the time. Coincidentally, these are the shitlords who can never hit interrupts and/or move out of abilities during boss fights.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just want more jumping puzzles. Ones that you can't corpse hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

There will be no more good investigation missions, Funcom fired the dudes who wrote them and the dudes who programmed them. The only programmers left are the ones who excelled in wave defense style missions or long hallway missions, and the one dude who masterfully puts them together for lovely hallways with several wave defense points. And don't forget the twitter twats writers who create the stories behind those hallways and wave defense parties. I wonder how much of the TSW bible/roadmap is left for those writers to use before we really get to see what their ideas are like.

I hear Uwe Boll got a job with Funcom and his task is to make the Tokyo invasion awesome.

I am so sad to see the ever genial Hugh this melancholy. I personally blame each and every one of you.

• Locked thread