Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just sold my broken screen (but functional) iPad on eBay. I'm pretty sure I disabled iCloud correctly, but is there another way to do so? I've already wiped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you wiped it, as in full factory reset, find my iPad would be disabled and iCloud nuked in the process. You can go into iCloud and remove your old device from the list of devices if it makes you feel better.

Thanks, bought myself some more time as something was fishy about the address of the buyer so I googled it and it turns out it is the infamous 600 Markley Port Reading, NJ. Reply-all even did an episode on it (https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/99-black-hole-new-jersey). Cancelled and relisted.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm close to being in the market for a new portable and was previously looking at a higher-end Thinkpad Yoga or something similar. I got my hands on a 12.9" and am seriously considering going with one of those instead. One of the things that I'm very curious about is keyboards. I LOVE working on Thinkpad with its keyboard. Is the best solution for the Pro the Smart keyboard or is there some other one that is highly recommended for those who do a lot of typing and even some light programming? I wasn't sure if the current state of affairs was that go Smart Keyboard or go home or not. Cost isn't the principal driver here, but a productive and effective keyboard.

I am still vetting out all of my other use cases for laptop vs. iPad but wanted to narrow the question on the keyboard for now.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oh great! I appreciate having goon endorsements. I'll check them both out! I especially like the place to put the pen, which I assume it can still charge through the case provided I put it in properly. That's one thing I didn't like when playing with the other case is that the pen kept getting loose and I thought it'd be awkward to keep there in transit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

As far as I can see, Logitech still does not have a solution for the 2018 Pro models. As soon as one is released, I will be jumping on it immediately.

In the meantime, test out the smart folio in store if you can.

Otherwise, you can get a cheap folio style case and pair the iPad Pro with a K811 (backlit, rechargeable, 3 devices) or a K380 (NOT backlit, AA batteries, 3 devices).

I haven’t used the newer Logitech Keys-To-Go. It looks like a rechargeable, ultra thin, water resistant keyboard. But I don’t think it can have multiple device profiles like the K811 & K380.

Oh, the slim isn't for the new pro without the home button?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone try the mouse support yet? I only have the kind you use a USB dongle for so can't at this point, but hoping to find out if it's as much as a gamechanger that I'm hoping it to be. Particularly in remoting into my work Windows machine to actually be productive.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just a warning, the new public beta seems a little glitchier for me than the first one on an iPad Pro 2017. A lot more dropped inputs while playing a game, and the Reminders badge is showing the total number of reminders I have for today, not just overdue ones.

Just hit update on my Air 2, was hoping it was more stable than PB1 as that seemed to be quite a mess.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just got it for $250 at target price matching Best Buy and Amazon. Got it for my wife who wants a basic tablet and wouldn’t appreciate any of the features the air offers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

My Air 2 is still going strong. :woop:

Same for my work iPad Air 2, but it's starting to crash on apps and such. Don't think it has more than another year or so, but that's still saying a lot. Built to last.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is the Logitech the superior keyboard to the apple smart? I'll be getting a pro for work in January and can pick my keyboard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What about for pro 3? I like clicky clacky keyboard

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

I type on my 12.9” Smart Keyboard a lot (right now in fact) and have never had any dropped keys or input issues.

While I haven’t tried the Logitech or Brydge options, I really like how easy it is to pop the iPad out of this keyboard and use as a naked tablet. I don’t want to mess around with disconnecting a big case every time. If you need more protection or don’t mind the extra weight in tablet mode, those would be good options though.

How secure is the pencil in the apple case? Can easily see it bumping off while walking from meeting to meeting if it's just a magnet holding it on the side.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone have experience with the Brydge? I'd be worried about the longevity of the hinges with a keyboard that expensive.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pixelmator Photo is free (reg $5) today. It’s a pretty much must have for photo editing, especially for free.

I don't have an iPad Pro, but will soon, anyone to secure the free purchase? All greyed out for me on both my iPhone and iPad Air

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brydge Pro is on sale for $99 from $169, even on Amazon. I ordered it ahead of my work 12.9” coming my way. One thing that I liked that the Logitech Slim has is the flap that covers and secures the pen. For those of you that have the Brydge, what solution do you have to better secure the pen aside from just putting it in your pocket as you’re on the move between meetings and such? I can easily see myself bumping it and it going flying, potentially without my knowledge.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Probably tomorrow as I just received my 12.9" one for work this week.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just got the 12.9” moving up from an Air 2 and it is incredible, that’s all I can say.

Still trying to work in the Pencil into my usecase, but work was paying so I have it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Logitech slim folio is aces

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

ForScore. It’s industry-standard. You can easily annotate (get the Apple Pencil!), rearranging pages is dead simple, and it has a built-in metronome, tuner, and tons of other features.

I get hired for a lot of musicals and also got a bluetooth page turner (AirTurn makes great ones, but I’ve never heard anything bad about any of the other companies), which might also be useful for you down the line when you’re reading longer things like songs/classical pieces

feel free to PM me if you have any specific music/iPad questions!

Ooh will check it out. I have a pencil already so got that covered. It'll import PDF?

In general, I'd love to hear how you use your iPad for music. My current system is a Manila folder I carry around in my case between lessons and home. I throw an AirPod in for my metronome (still working out rhythm) and follow the plan.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Speaking of recently uses apps, i accidentally clicked the minus on one recently and now it never shows up anymore. I can’t find any option to re-allow it either, googling only brings up how to remove the recently used apps part of the dock. I didn’t realize how much i used that until it was gone for one app.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pretty narrow question, but for anyone who has a 2018 Pro 12.9" weigh in on if the Coverbuddy (link below) will work with a Brydge Keyboard? It APPEARS that it will because the side of the cover doesn't extend all the way down and with how thin it is it still may fit into the bracket regardless but would love some confirmation.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7LGYMW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_McJAEbZAPHR95

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hoping whatever kickass new smart folios they come up with backwards compatible to the 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Now that they're scissor keys it may be the ultimate keyboard everyone has been searching for. With the new hover design it looks like they were able to get more surface area. Clever design.

ANY word on backwards compatibility?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

3rd and 4th gen ipads pro

Dang.... can't wait for reviews, but I may actually pony up for this for my work iPad. We're in lean mode and the Covid makes it REALLY hard to justify expensing it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

priznat posted:

I got the keyboard for my 10.5” Air 3 and I miss the 3rd party one I had before. No backlight really sucks. I’d wait for a good Logitech option imo.

I have a Brydge right now and while I really enjoy typing on it, that's about it. I do not enjoy it as an all-around case. So I am constantly swapping it out of that case and into a folio (Amazon, not apple) without a keyboard. My boss has the Logitech and while it does a better job of mixing those two uses together, it is just too damned bulky for not doing it well enough. That's why I'm thinking about the new keyboard with trackpad. The sleakness/weight of the new solution is very appealing and with it seeming like they brought the typing experience up to snuff it may be the best solution overall.

Still wish there was an elegant solution to have a Pencil holder at the top though. The magnet is janky as hell when you're shuffling between meetings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

New videos posted, I really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09_QxCcBEyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0P0FQ770dE

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If you can get a 2018 on a good price, do it. It's an incredible machine. The only thing that has me lusting today is the new Magic Keyboard. If I were buying today and money was an consideration I probably would do the 2018. It's so powerful as is that unless you have some insane needs, you won't notice the extra power. The other features are neat but not game changing, IMO.

But that keyboard though.... get the 2018 refurb and use the savings to get that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if you can turn the keyboard on the touchpad folio around and use it as a .. i don’t know what the right word for it is, but it’s when you prop your ipad up keyboardless. The old iPad folios let you turn them into a triangle wedge that would let you prop the ipad up.

Sometimes I just want my iPad to stand up but I don’t want a big honkin’ keyboard in front of it.

Wondering this as well. For $350 it loving better

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Well poo poo... my 3rd gen 12.9 is trucking along with no issues but drat I want that keyboard. I have the Smart Keyboard now but I’m kinda lusting after the new one... that price though.

I’m just not sure if I can justify it but I do use the keyboard quite a bit.

If I get out of this crisis alive and with a job I’m totally buying it. I’m easily saving more money than that but hunkering down in my home. But socking that all away just in case for now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just loaded 13.4 and my mouse set up under accessibility just worked right away. I disabled the accessibility feature and no problems.

Curious though, not sure where the settings for hot keys went as I’ve lost the mapping for dock/expose/home screen for my other buttons. Has anyone found those?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is clearly an after-thought for mice over trackpads, which probably makes sense. You can't 'drag and pull' like you can in accessibility mode. For instance, since my mouse doesn't have a horizontal scroll I can't move through the expose screen.

That magic trackpad looks like the best external solution in absence of the magic keyboard.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Welp, gotta bring back the Mighty Mouse! (I actually like Mighty Mouse over its successor....apparently Apple was still shipping them with certain edu Mac packages until 2018 :chanpop: )

Hrmm.. I actually may have one in a drawer somewhere!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Found my Magic Mouse 1 that was in a drawer. It pairs, but no gestures are working =/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Yes, you can join me in the three hundred and fifty American dollar magnetic plastic flap club :q:

Three-fifty here! Unashamed

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

The magic keyboards are up for order on apple.com and apparently the 11 inch ones are shipping next week. Ordered one. :toot:

Really looking forward to your trip report.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yeast posted:

600grams for the 11" keyboard.

That's a big boy.

100 grams lighter than my Brydge, so that's nice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Best Buy seems to have the Magic Keyboards on open box. I found a 12.9 one for $300 with no issue and I’ll have it on Monday.

Same return policy for open box?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also. Lick fewer boots... not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

In many ways I think the argument shows a lack of imagination on the part of some people. "I can't think of a reason why someone would want a camera in an iPad Pro" is not the same thing as "There is no need for cameras on the iPad Pro."

I use my camera on the pro all the damned time while at home and I'd be super annoyed if it were gone. Additionally I can imagine that eventually Xcode will be running on it natively and it'll be a useful test bed. It already seems like Apple is positioning it as an interesting suggestion for mounting on a tripod for picturing/movie-ing.

I love turning on my backward facing camera during Teams meetings to show my employees my dog doing something silly on the grass. Worth it.