Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Also, Myke Cole has a series out, two books so far, Urban/Modern Military fantasy, that starts with Shadow Ops: Control Point. I'm not sure what the title has to do with the book, I think I remember reading that it was something decided entirely by the publisher and he had no idea what it meant either. Anyway, it's much better quality than I expected, definitely a worthwhile read. I haven't grabbed the second yet, though, because I have a huge backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Seconding Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion and Paladin's Legacy series. Start with Sheepfarmer's Daughter and you won't stop until you get current.

Lex Talionis posted:

Even more conspicuous is the absence of Patrick Rothfuss, whose work I don't actually like but everyone else seems to love.

I really don't understand how people think they're alone in not liking Rothfuss when the dude gets all kinds of hate in this very thread.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm, maybe I should give it another chance and re-read it assuming it's a deconstruction. It just uses a lot of stuff that's very clearly drawing on the 1st Edition D&D manual, but I hadn't considered the possibility she was trying to deconstruct the idea.

Even better is that the followup series, Paladin's Legacy, which was started after like a twenty year break, isn't on the same single-person scale that Deed is. It's mostly about rulers of countries and institutions in the wake of the stuff that happens in Deed, with only a relatively small part being adventurer-scale stuff. And Paksenarrion is no longer the protagonist.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I mostly wonder why y'all keep talking about Sanderson's magic systems when none of his novels contains one. There are fantastic natural systems that work in ways our universe doesn't, and they're treated by people the same way people treat natural systems in our world. By doing their absolute best to find out the rules that drive it and exploiting them mercilessly for whatever benefit they can get.

If you want traditional "nobody knows how the gently caress anything really works", you should be looking exclusively at Stormlight, because it appears a hell of a lot of knowledge actually HAS been lost there, and people are going to have to figure it out through experimentation.

I'm not trying to be pedandic here, this is just a fundamental difference in how most people think about magic and how Sanderson thinks about and works with magic in his books. If it's the way the universe works, then it can be studied, and people will discover the laws behind it and use them. He isn't saying "It's magic, lol.", he's saying "Here's how this universe works, what can/will people do with that?"

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 10, 2013

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Dryb posted:

Why does he need a kickstarter? He's a previously published author writing a book, for gently caress's sake.

He's a previously published author writing a book. That's a pretty good reason in and of itself. Also, his last series got cancelled for lack of readership, dinnit?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

So I started reading The Gap series. I'm halfway through the first book and I have a question...

Are all the books this rapey?

That's kind of like asking about Asimov and robots, or Chalker and body-swapping. No, they're not ALL of that magnitude, but it's a recurring thing with Donaldson.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The last thing I read by Hines was the first book in the goblin series.

Can someone explain to me how somehow now black people are considered aliens, and how Hines has enough influence to try and somehow "win" more black people over to literacy?

I just feel like I am missing a HUGE chunk of this.

Hines has two reasonably popular series in progress and has been very active in attempts to make the SF/F community less toxic for anybody that isn't a straight white man. The "black people are aliens" thing is pretty much a racist idiot trying to put the blame on anybody but himself for there not being more people of color involved in SF/F by saying that the community is by nature welcoming to anybody, because they'd all love to meet aliens, so obviously instead of trying to make the community less toxic, Hines and others like him should be trying to recruit more.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

specklebang posted:

I just discovered that Jack Chalker's Well World and Four Lords Of The Diamond series are on audible.com. I haven't heard the narration but I'm pretty excited about these. I have all the original books and I've read them at least 3 times in my life. Might be worth taking a look.

Man, I love those, but The Wonderland Gambit is on there, and that should be #1 on the Jack Chalker list.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Echo Cian posted:

The only series I don't recommend is Bridge of D'Arnath; the first book was good, but the second had bad pacing and turned into a slog to get through. I haven't started the third because of it.

It didn't get any better beyond that, and was bad enough that I haven't read any of her other stuff.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Vulpes posted:

What is it with Stephen R. Donaldson and :tvtropes:, jeeze.

Look, do you ask Asimov what's with all the robots? Do you ask Chalker what's with all the body swapping?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

uberkeyzer posted:

I read Memory Sorrow Thorn when I was reading constantly and probably motoring through a book a week, and I remember it even then being an endless slog. The third book in the "trilogy" got split into two separate paperbacks because it was so long and it just ended up being horrible and tedious. The world itself was pretty interesting, which made how bad it got really frustrating.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn combines all the worst parts of Tolkien and Robert Jordan, basically.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

I just got Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb for 50c at the library thanks to this thread (mostly the NPR map at the beginning). The character names, judging from the back, are ridiculous: "Prince Chivalry", "King Shrewd"

Not any more absurd in principle than Faith, Hope, Charity, August, Earnest, Clement, or any number of other virtues used as names in any language.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I ran out of books by Stanislaw Lem. Then I ran out of books by PKD.

...so who do I read now? :ohdear:

Seriously, I've got all summer and I love those two to death, any recommendations?

Jack Chalker, maybe?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

funakupo posted:

Agreed that her fairytale retellings skew young. But Hero and the Crown I have a soft spot for and try to push on anyone remotely interested.

Seconding this, it's a great book.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I need to read the Kushiel series at some point just so I can know if it's worth recommending for these kinds of polls.

It's not.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

A3th3r posted:

Have any of you book mavens read "Theft of Swords" by Michael J. Sullivan?

A decent attempt to ape Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, but ultimately not entertaining enough to keep reading.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

We should make our own awards :colbert:

Why would anybody show up for an award called the Goonies?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

I'm trying to find some new books for a friend, and I know he really loved the Magic Kingdom of Landover series by Terry Brooks. Hell, when I was a kid I really liked them too.

Are there any more recent/modern takes on that particular trope that have turned out well?

I guess this not-quite fish out of water fantasy thing, I'm not sure exactly what it is? I remember reading the Blue Adept series by P Anthony waaaaay back, and...ughhhh. I REALLY liked Dickson's Dragon Knight/Mage series when I was younger. Heinlein's Glory Road isn't the type of thing I'm looking for, though.

I think I read a series about some sort of modern engineer going back in time, but I can't remember what it was called. That's besides the point, though.

Any thoughts?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct....96782255,d.cGU

The Cross Time Engineer seems like-and you just posted about it. Awesome.

Seconding Guardians of the Flame, a number of people love and/or hate The Magicians, by Lev Grossman, and its sequels, which is half Harry Potter, half Narnia, and half Game of Thrones (the bad half). He liked Landover, so there's a fair chance he'd also like the Spearwielder Tales, by R.A. Salvatore, which is almost exactly the same thing, except with spear and magic helmet instead of castle and magic knight.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

There is no recommendation of The Deed of Paksenarrion (and the followup, Paladin's Legacy) that is too hyperbolic.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Best novel about your first edition AD&D paladin ever

More like the best D&D fiction ever written, license or no license. Though allegedly Paks wasn't an actual character, just an idea of one inspired by some nerd talk, and is more of an OD&D paladin. Also, Paladin's Legacy, the followup series that was written like 30 years later, centers on other characters. Paksenarrion shows up occasionally, but isn't a POV character.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Wild Cards involves literal corpse buggery and many other awful things, amid which are a few pieces of actual good writing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

FoldOgey posted:

Talking about books that haven't aged well, I recently reread "Midnight at the Well of Souls" by Jack L. Chalker, and boy howdy did that fall flat. I remember it mostly as an adventure across a world filled with different environments and species (which it is). But there is a lot of ham-fisted philosophy, a weird fetish for body-changing and a literal deus ex machina at the end of the book. I may have to continue reading the series to see how deep the well of suck is.

If you're not a fan of body swapping, you should probably not be reading Jack Chalker. That's his thing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's an institutional problem, not a personal one.

Jedit posted:

Which female SF author was it who used her initials over her full name because books by women didn't sell as well?

Two consecutive sentences that contradict each other. Not bad.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

The Janny Wurts series sounds pretty interesting. I might see if I can track the first book down.

I grabbed that, Star of the Guardians, and the first david sullivan book off barnes & noble for pretty cheap. I know Star of the Guardians is pretty worth it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

The fantasy equivalent would probably be books set in contemporary Earth where the "secret world" of magic is suddenly revealed to the world at large in a way impossible to ignore and the fallout from that is then dealt with, but IME it's similarly rare there; stuff tends to end with the revelation, promising a future in which everything changes without needing to show it (e.g. Revisionary). Stross's Laundry series is the only one I can think of offhand where it looks like it'll keep going for a while after the lid comes off. :cthulhu:

There's also Kim Harrison's Hollows series (romancey as they can get, complete with cringey sex sometimes), which eschews showing the reveal and the state before, and is set entirely after the revelation.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gluten Freeman posted:

I don't know any of the other authors, but the Butler books are worth it for the whole thing imo. Those are two of her best books, and they're terrifyingly appropriate for the modern political atmosphere. The only thing I'd note is that they've got them in the wrong order for some reason -- the one in the $1 bundle is the sequel.

Robin McKinley is fantastic and The Hero and the Crown is a great loving book.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Forum accident posted:

I'm a new author and I just self-published my first epic fantasy novel, The Warlord's Crown, and since I'm brand new to this I have no idea how to get the word out!

WARLORD is the first of an already-planned four part series based on a three year long Dungeons & Dragons game I ran, and emphasizes badass action as much as character growth and introspection. There's everything you could want from an epic fantasy series in there, dragons, samurai, dinosaurs, devils, fireballs, giant tombs, crazy evil wasp people, a magician who looks like David Blaine but is actually a person-sized dog, a dwarf that smokes weed, EVERYTHING! The story itself is basically about coming to grips with maturity and responsibility, told in the backdrop of lots of things exploding and bleeding everywhere.

For May Day the ebook is free, so if you want to check it out, I'd really appreciate it!

I read bad books for fun and I'm still not touching this.

Still probably better than the last vanity published book I ended up jumping on to save my comrades. It featured the awe inspiring battle cry "BONSAI!"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Have any tvtropes authors ever actually been published? I don't mean self published or put out as an Amazon e book. I mean has a publisher ever looked at one of these stories and said, "yes we will invest in this"

TVTropers are the kind of people who would hand you a bowl containing a spoon, a jug of milk, a bag of flour, a couple eggs, and some cocoa, and happily say "I made you a cake! Isn't it great?"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Khizan posted:

These are the ones I've gotten/guessed.

code:
Waters Below the Ground		->	?
This Smooth Magic		->	?
Anybody know the ones I'm missing or wrong about?
EDIT: Updated my list with suggestions from the thread, credit given in parens.

Gonna guess "Still Waters Run Deep" and "This Rough Magic"

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Everybody read this story so you can try to help me figure out what the gently caress. It's real short.

Not sure what's not to get.

I see two readings of that story:

1) his own reflection driving him crazy as his brain breaks down from lack of nutrients/ life support malfunction

3) something . . . else . . in the ship

It's definitely the second, because whatever it is, it's contagious, that's what the very end is about. There is absolutely something. Well, perhaps less 'contagious' and more 'parasitic'. Note how he didn't see the smear until he touched the body.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Do these tags mean it actually was at some point that high in sales ranking or is it completely arbitrary

It's easy to be #1 for a moment when it's a niche category. It's a common sales tactic, put your book in a super niche category, rack up a few sales, and bam, you're #1 for a day.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

crazyvanman posted:

I think I know the answer to this, but if I am reading the final installment of the second Thomas Covenant Trilogy, and finding it hard to get through, am I going to feel differently about reading the 'final chronicles'? I read books 1-5 a few years ago, enjoyed them enough but then got distracted by other series. For some reason I'm now finding the depressive gloom of 'White Gold Wielder' is getting to me. However I previously picked up the omnibus addition of the final books. Given that they were written a bit later, does his writing style change or should I expect more of the same?

Don't read the final trilogy. Don't keep making a mistake just because you already spent time and money on making it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

It's always a bad warning sign when a book starts with a pronunciation guide, especially if it's a science fiction or fantasy book.
Page four, the author has hammered home the main character is sixteen and knows sorcery AND is now in the process of learning witchcraft.

....gently caress this I'm out. 4 pages in and I am already feeling the main character is being funneled through a mary sue's worth of specialized training to justify how awesome(and unkillable) this main character is going to be. If anything, my recent James Blish's Cities in Spaces read-through confirmed that if a book starts off poo poo for you, it will probably stay poo poo as you continue to read the book.

What the gently caress are you reading?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

A human heart posted:

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for an author's last name to just be a horse of a particular colour

Wow, thanks for the authentic Indian experience!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ammonsa posted:

Just finished reading The Poppy War by RF Kuang. Really good book. Reminds me a lot of The Traitor Baru Cormorant by the end, particularly with the protagonists Genocide on not-Japan and you realise she is too far gone in her actions to step back, that she only has one path left, that of the monster, that of what she was fighting against to begin with.

Also touched on a lot of racism, addiction, and the loss of humanity inherent in war and war atrocities. I will highly recommend it.

Seconding this, book started out extremely generic YA fantasy except for the setting and the protagonist being a girl, but went great and terrible places. Will definitely be getting the sequel.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I learned something, thanks. I still hate that cover and I'm stunned that a Baen cover could be better, but here we are.

Fortunately the contents are good - I'm really enjoying the convergence of the three teams on the central mystery.

That's because Jack Chalker is fantastic and makes you like walking into his magical realm.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Zero! I thought this was a thing with him, but so far, nope.

e: Wait wait wait. One of the starfish(?) aliens has a backstory where they were once female, and molted and became a dude. It comes up precisely once and is never explored.

Body swapping is his thing, not transformation, generally. Transformation happens sometimes, changing to a new body happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Thranguy posted:

People getting transformed into sex-addicted barely sentient quadrapeds, with the same happening ultimately to the guy who first started doing it, comes up in at least two different series.

That demon series was his last iirc, and he either mellowed a bit or got a better editor at career's end.

Sure, but then there's the wonderland gambit.