Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
My favourite is the friends I've had that in our late teens and early 20s always had to have brand new Mac laptops because they couldn't stand Windows desktops or laptops. Now that they don't have parents or student loans to help pay for them, they're more than happy to buy a cheapo laptop from Wal-Mart (nothin' wrong with it).

Some people I know were pretty loose with the student loans during their first couple of years of school and now regretting it. One woman who last I heard was somewhere north of 70k in debt with an incomplete religious studies masters.

Besides that most of my friends are pretty outwardly responsible with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Jesus I'm a part of a bachelorette party and we're budgeting like $120 each for a nice evening, and that's making sure the bride to be doesn't have to pay for anything. Things like destination parties like that need to be planned a year in advance, which to me is kind of pointless.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Oh! That reminded me of another story.

Tara's mother killed herself. To help pay for some bills/the funeral or whatever, Tara organized a show with a bunch of bands, on the night of another fundraiser for a local community website. Nobody went to that show, instead, opting to go to Tara's show. What did she spend the money on? A super ugly back tattoo, tickets to a Bryan Adams concert, and lots of lovely fast food.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Konig posted:

My dad worked with a man who admittedly was a little simple, he got a rather large inheritance and over the course of the next few months bought (and sold at a massive loss) around 4 progressively worse cars. He started out at a really nice BMW or Lamborghini and ended up with a little shitbox, with nothing to show for it.

Also, I have a friend who just last week shattered her 19th iPhone :stare: thank God her 20th phone is an indestructible cheap Samsung.

Nineteen?! I have had an iPhone for five years and I have only ever once shattered one. I don't even use a case. I've had to send my second one in twice for repairs because the headphone jack stopped working.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Grown man living in his fathers basement apartment checking in. Its downtown, a 15 minute walk from work, and I get along with my parents. gently caress every person who says I should move out. The only way I'm ever leaving this apartment is when I have the down payment on a house.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

It says she ignored it for 15 years. I imagine a large part of that is interest.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

Jesus. I don't understand why it's so common for seemingly intelligent, educated people fail to anticipate how expensive children are.

Many moons ago my father ballparked that I cost probably close to ten grand in my first year of life. And thats with socialized medicine so no paying for the birth itself.

I think my sister had pretty good method of ensuring she had enough resources for her child. Keep in mind she has always known she would be a mother. She bought second hand clothes for a 0-3 year old, some essentials like a crib, baby monitor, and some toys over probably about 3-4 years before she had a kid. So that spreads out some basic costs fairly evenly. Of course, you need to factor in having a relatively stable living environment instead of having to cart this stuff from place to place. When the baby was born she took full maternity leave, and she made her own baby food (if I'm not mistaken), though you need to do a time/cost analysis for yourself to see if its worth while.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

My sister did MK. She and her husband are relatively financially stable and she did it because she liked the products herself, and sold them for some of her friends/coworkers. She wanted to make it more of a big thing but I think she realized it would have to be a full time job for significantly less money.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Giant Goats posted:

I've known a lot of people with high-paying factory and natural resource extraction jobs who've fallen into this trap. Most people don't tend to compare themselves with the person they'd be if they weren't making bank - they compare themselves with the people who are making about as much and a bit more than them.

It's like going out to dinner with friends with the intention of being good to your wallet and your waistline. If no one else is ordering wine and dessert, it's easy to say no. But as soon as one or two people at the table are, you're more likely to give in. That seems to be how eating out twice a day and going on frequent vacations and buying a new car every year happens - with the added justification of feeling like you deserve to be indulged for working a physically demanding job with long shifts. And hey, you're blue collar, so of course it's normal to be struggling to pay the bills.

In this vein, my sister works on the assembly line at a car plant and makes twice the money I do at my desk job. She lives in a town where you can rent a three-bedroom house for same price as renting a one-bedroom apartment in my city. Only one of us is in five figures of consumer debt, and it ain't me.

I've heard this type of thinking called "keeping up with the Joneses".

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

$250 a week? Wouldn't he be better off renting a car?!

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

EgonSpengler posted:

Do you have an iPhone? Every time I sign up for a trial period I use Siri to create a reminder of the exact day to cancel. Hasn't failed me yet.

I've got a Google calendar set up with all of my annual things. I've got a two week reminder, a week reminder, and a 48 hour reminder for everything to either renew/cancel.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

This is the article everyone has been talking about : http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/08/this-is-what-happened-when-i-drove-my-mercedes-to-pick-up-food-stamps/

quote:

Sara Bareilles played softly through the surround-sound speakers of my husband’s 2003 Mercedes Kompressor as I sat idling at a light. I’d never been to this church before, but I could see it from where I was, across from an old park, abandoned in the chilly September air. The clouds hung low as I pulled the sleek, pewter machine into the lot. But I wasn’t going to pray or attend services. I was picking up food stamps.

Even then, I couldn’t quite believe it. This wasn’t supposed to happen to people like me.

I grew up in a white, affluent suburb, where failure seemed harder than success. In college, I studied biology and journalism. I worked for good money at a local hospital, which afforded me the opportunity to network at journalism conferences. That’s how I landed my first news job as an associate producer in Hartford, Conn. I climbed the ladder quickly, free to work any hours in any location for any pay. I moved from market to market, always achieving a better title, a better salary. Succeeding.

2007 was a grand year for me. I moved back home from San Diego, where I’d produced ‘Good Morning San Diego.’ I quickly secured my next big gig, as a producer in Boston for the 6 p.m. news. The pay wasn’t great, but it was more than enough to support me. And my boyfriend was making good money, too, as a copy editor for the Hartford Courant.

When I found out I was pregnant in February 2008, it was a shock, but nothing we couldn’t handle. Two weeks later, when I discovered “it” was actually “they” (twins, as a matter of fact), I panicked a little. But not because I worried for our future. My middle-class life still seemed perfectly secure. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to do that much work.

The weeks flew by. My boyfriend proposed, and we bought a house. Then, just three weeks after we closed, the market crashed. The house we’d paid $240,000 for was suddenly worth $150,000. It was okay, though — we were still making enough money to cover the exorbitant mortgage payments. Then we weren’t.

Two weeks before my children were born, my future husband found himself staring at a pink slip. The days of unemployment turned into weeks, months, and, eventually, years.

Then my kids were born, six weeks early. They were just three pounds each at birth, barely the length of my shoe. We fed them through a little tube we attached to our pinky fingers because their mouths weren’t strong enough to suckle. We spent 10 days in the hospital waiting for them to increase in size. They never did. Try as I might, I couldn’t get my babies to put on weight. With their lives at risk, I switched from breast milk to formula, at about $15 a can. We went through dozens a week.

In just two months, we’d gone from making a combined $120,000 a year to making just $25,000 and leeching out funds to a mortgage we couldn’t afford. Our savings dwindled, then disappeared.

So I did what I had to do. I signed up for Medicaid and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.

It’s not easy. To qualify, you must be pregnant or up to six months postpartum. I had to fill out at least six forms and furnish my Social Security card, birth certificate and marriage license. I sat through exams, meetings and screenings. They had a lot of questions about the house: Wasn’t it an asset? Hadn’t we just bought it? They questioned every last cent we’d ever made. Did we have stock options or pensions? Did we have savings? I had to send them my three most recent check stubs to prove I was making as little as I said I was.

On top of this, I had to get my vitals checked and blood work taken to determine whether I was at risk of improper nourishment without the program. It’s very bourgeois. Not. But I did it.

Driving to the WIC office the first time was scary. It wasn’t an office, like I’d thought it would be. It was the basement of a dreary church. We sat in disused pews, waiting to be called for our coupons, which would get us some tuna, some cheerios, a gallon of milk, baby formula.

Using the coupons was even worse. The stares, the faux concern, the pity, the outrage — I hated it. One time, an old, kind-looking man with a bit of a hunch was standing behind me with just a six-pack of soda, waiting to check out. The entire contents of my cart were splayed out on the conveyor belt. When he noticed the flash of large white paper stubs in my hand, he touched me on the shoulder. I was scared that he was going to give me money; instead he gave me a small, rectangular card. He asked me to accept Jesus into my heart so that my troubles would disappear. I think I managed a half-smile before breaking into long, jogging strides out of there, the workers calling after me as to whether I still wanted my receipt.

That was one of the better times. Once, a girl at the register actually stood up for me when an older mother of three saw the coupons and started chastising my purchase of root beer. They were “buy two, get one free” at a dollar a pop.

“Surely, you don’t need those,” she said. “WIC pays for juice for you people.”

The girl, who couldn’t have been more than 19, flashed her eyes up to my face and saw my grimace as I white-knuckled the counter in front of me, preparing my cold shoulder.

“Who are you, the soda police?” she asked loudly. “Anyone bother you about the pound of candy you’re buying?”

The woman huffed off to another register, and I’m sure she complained about that girl. I, meanwhile, thanked her profusely.

“I’ve got a son,” she said, softly. “I know what it’s like.”

That’s the funny thing about being poor. Everyone has an opinion on it, and everyone feels entitled to share. That was especially true about my husband’s Mercedes. Over and over again, people asked why we kept that car, offering to sell it in their yards or on the Internet for us.

“You can’t be that bad off,” a distant relative said, after inviting himself over for lunch. “You still got that baby in all its glory.”

Sometimes, it was more direct. All from a place of love, of course. “Sell the Mercedes,” a friend said to me. “He doesn’t get to keep his toys now.”

But it wasn’t a toy — it was paid off. My husband bought that car in full long before we met. Were we supposed to trade it in for a crappier car we’d have to make payments on? Only to have that less reliable car break down on us?

And even if we had wanted to do that, here’s what people don’t understand: The reality of poverty can spring quickly while the psychological effects take longer to surface. When you lose a job, your first thought isn’t, “Oh my God, I’m poor. I’d better sell all my nice stuff!” It’s “I need another job. Now.” When you’re scrambling, you hang on to the things that work, that bring you some comfort. That Mercedes was the one reliable, trustworthy thing in our lives.

That’s how I found myself, one dreary day when my Honda wouldn’t start, in my husband’s Mercedes at the WIC office. I parked gingerly over one of the many potholes, shut off the purring engine and locked it, then walked briskly to the door — head held high and not looking in either direction.

To this day, it is the single most embarrassing thing I’ve ever done.

No one spoke to me, but they did stare. Mouths agape, the poverty-stricken mothers struggling with infant car seats, paperwork and their toddlers never took their eyes off me, the tall blond girl, walking with purpose on heels from her Mercedes to their grungy den.

I didn’t feel animosity coming from them, more wonderment, maybe a bit of resentment. The most embarrassing part was how I felt about myself. How I had so internalized the message of what poor people should or should not have that I felt ashamed to be there, with that car, getting food. As if I were not allowed the food because of the car. As if I were a bad person.

We’ve now sold that house. My husband found a job that pays well, and we have enough left over for me to go to grad school. President Obama’s programs — from the extended unemployment benefits to the tax-free allowance for short-selling a home we couldn’t afford — allowed us to crawl our way out of the hole.

But what I learned there will never leave me. We didn’t deserve to be poor, any more than we deserved to be rich. Poverty is a circumstance, not a value judgment. I still have to remind myself sometimes that I was my harshest critic. That the judgment of the disadvantaged comes not just from conservative politicians and Internet trolls. It came from me, even as I was living it.

We still have that Mercedes.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Aagar posted:

This in general is bad with money, but I also have a specific question and this seems as good a topic to post it in.

I was home alone (Ontario, Canada) with my hungry twin toddlers when a guy came to the door passing himself off as someone with my current energy provider. He wanted to see my bill because on the chance that I was being billed improperly, and distracted as I was I stupidly showed him. As soon as he started talking about how I could save I wised up that he was with an energy retailer (Just Energy Conservation Program) I took back my bill, took his pamphlet and sent him on his way (not signing anything, obviously). Then I did some Googling on JE and wow, what a nightmare.

For those not in the know, JE tries to get you to sign over with them so that you get a flat rate on energy (electricity and gas) with the vague promise of savings because "hey prices go up!" while at the same time throwing in a lot of nonsense about green energy and reducing energy usage to lower costs. While it might work out most of the blogs were full of people who ended up paying way more a month than they were before. Add to this their sleazy at-the-door effort to pass themselves off as anything other than an energy retailer.

I realize it was the height of stupid to show him the bill - the twins were hungry and off-the-wall and I just wanted the guy gone. I didn't see him write the account number down, but it doesn't mean he didn't memorize it. And their were stories of unscrupulous agents who would forge your signature and sign you up regardless (I didn't get that vibe - he was just a kid - but who knows?).

I tried calling my current energy provider to block the account, but they said they could not as it would be legal to move the account over (assuming I had legally signed and agreed to the deal). If they do manage to sign me up I would have to fight it with the Ontario Energy Board. The representative I talked to didn't seem worried, as there is also the step of having to confirm with JE that I do want them as a provider (which I would obviously decline).

I guess my question is: is there anything else I can do? I'm not super worried, and I guess if push comes to shove and they do illegally sign me up I can fight it, but if there is something easy to do to head off this fraud at the pass I'd do it.

Gas contracts and rented water heaters are the biggest racket in Ontario. I worked in a call centre that dealt with water heater rentals and the lengths each company would go to to switch customers was unbelievable. It does NOT help that Enbridge lets other companies use their bill for services, and people are too stupid to flip to the last page of the bill now and then to see what they're actually paying for. You bought a house 15 years ago and didn't realize it had a rental water heater, but you've been paying it the entire time? You want a refund? No.

I consider rented water heaters bad with money. $25 a month for a stable product that needs to be changed every 10+ years or so. It is way cheaper to just buy a new one and have it installed.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

melon cat posted:

My prediction- after Forex fails, he's going to get his real estate license. I don't know why, but these days real estate sales seems to be the latest occupation choice among delusional people who think that money grows on trees. Once he gives up on real estate after 2 months, he'll be selling super-juices through Vema.

Not long ago one of my friends pointed out why some people go into real estate. People see it as an easy cash cow with minimal training/education. Little do they realize how much work is is to consistently sell houses.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

All this talk of 'exclusive' credit cards reminded me of the Centurion card from AMEX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card).

I still stand by my philosophy that if a big company comes to you with an 'exclusive deal' when you're a regular consumer, you're getting fleeced.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

melon cat posted:

A gambler will always tell you what they've won- never how much they've lost. :eng101:

I'm always really cautious of those dummies at the water cooler who're always talking about "the hottest stock to buy". In my experience, they're never doing any actual trading. They're just spouting some armchair-daytrader nonsense they overheard somewhere and want everyone else to think that they're some sort of investment banking guru. If there's a hot stock, the people who are actually in the market sure as heck won't be talking about it.

Ding ding ding! I've always thought if someone is spouting off about the hot new stock/whatever tip and they're not in the industry, wherever they're getting from its probably 7th+ hand information.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Sex Weirdo posted:

A guy that I work with has been doing this. He claims to have like 6-8 or so of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums full of gasoline, rigged up on a big rack in the garage with hoses and a pump. The funny part is he filled most of them months ago and is stuck using some pretty expensive gas now.

This might not be legal. If it is, it is incredibly dangerous.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Per pack? Like, pack of 20 cigarettes? Holy poo poo. No, a pack of fancy smokes is about half that where I live.

One of my favourite things at a Canadian corner store was when Americans would balk at our $15+ per pack of cigarettes. "Well I'll go down the street to the other corner store. You're obviously ripping me off!" "Sir they're $2 more a pack there." We'll see about THAT!"

*comes back 10 minutes later*

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Jesus tap dancing Christ I have a bunch of friends who literally don't care where they park and I don't think their yearly tickets combined would reach $5k. Granted, our tickets are cheaper in some areas.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/contractor-s-repeated-delays-frustrate-mount-pearl-woman-1.3023645 posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/contractor-s-repeated-delays-frustrate-mount-pearl-woman-1.3023645

Ivany hired contractor Mike Shea in 2012 to build a basement apartment and to renovate the upstairs of the Mount Pearl home.

However, after spending $250,000 and going nearly $130,000 over budget, Ivany for the longest time could not even get an occupancy permit to move into the apartment.

Spending $250k seems a little on the steep side as it is, letting the contractor go $130k over budget is BWM.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

The 250 includes the 130

whoops. I totally misread that.

Horse chat has me in absolute stitches. I've known plenty of 'horse people' in my lifetime and the sane ones were few and far between. Lets go ahead and drop the price of a car on a saddle.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Reminds me of all those early groupon stories where businesses got clobbered by groupon demand (and probably gained few if any new customers from it)

http://www.businessinsider.com/london-baker-makes-102000-cupcakes-groupon-deal-2011-11

It seems like a stupid idea for most businesses. If there's a rotating cast of 40 different nail salons running groupons, when is a chronic groupon shopper going to pay regular price?

I gave up on Groupon in my area because the only things that were on offer were nail salons, yoga, dubious dietary consultations, or other questionable para medicine services.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

FWIW there are definitely people who do this as a lifestyle choice, and not just because they're desperately trying to make ends meet. No idea whether that's her situation but if she lives alone or with one other person it definitely could be the case.

When I buy a house I plan to live in the basement apartment. I"m a single person with somewhat simple needs. I'd rather be getting double+ the rent for the house until I get sick of living in a basement or I've paid enough of it off.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Sepherothic posted:

Why go to a doctor when you can buy vaccines that totally not rat poison on the Dark Net?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkNetMarkets/comments/3g5tni/buying_vaccines_on_dnm/

It was once suggested to me by a nurse (in Canada) that instead of shelling out the money to get hep vaccines I could have walked into a public health office and told them I lived with an IV drug user and I would have gotten it for free because I fall into a targeted demographic.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

When my sister got married she and her husband requested cash/gift cards. They both met when they were a little older and bot had fully decked out houses, so they didn't need anything. What they did need, however was money to do some renovations. They made a profit on their wedding.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm not sure if bailing him out so he can finance a truck before his on-paper income and credit score is too bad to do it or letting him default on student loans is suicide in this metaphor.

Also, he requested a read receipt on the email to the family, so now I have to constantly have one unread email in my inbox to prevent new notifications from my family reply: all messages. The ultimate inconvenience.

My coworker who was complaining about spending $6k on toddler clothes and shoes last year and didn't know how store credit cards worked is currently talking to someone outside my office door about getting "professional looking clothes for Jaxon" at Nordstrom for his birthday. He is turning three.

I was reading a thread on Reddit a few days ago about what not to give people when they have kids and one of the big thing was baby clothes. Why anyone would buy any more than one "good/picture" outfit is beyond me.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

melon cat posted:

The answer is lots, and lots of truck loans. Here in Canada we're seeing what happens when the economy craps itself and poor people with big truck loans lose their jobs: lots of truck loan defaults.

A lot of rig pigs get their first paycheque, then go straight to the Ford dealership to buy their lifted F150. And even though many of them were earning good money, their level of spending went up along with it.

I live in Newfoundland and I have been predicting this for years. When the arse fell out of oil/gas and especially with the fire in Fort Mac last fall we have seen a dramatic uptick in personal bankruptcy.

Another user posted about needing some serious perspective, and while I agree with them I have somewhat little sympathy for a lot of people in these situations. You work in a volatile industry - some savings would have been appropriate.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Accretionist posted:

What are utilities like for a remote cabin? And nearest hospital?

Cost of insurance, or coverage for fire. I don't know what its like in the states/anywhere else but I know once or twice a year I hear of a house fire where the home owners either don't have insurance or they didn't pay their fire dues so the fireman watched their house burn. I feel bad but I have little sympathy.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I wonder how many kids think archaeology is like Indiana Jones.

I mean if that's true then marine archaeology must be that but you fight mermaid nazis instead right :downs:

Like with most 'glamorized' professions I always hope people realize how boring or low paying their 'dream career' is.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's some personal BWM for you: our very last year of medical training, by this point well over $400,000 in student loan debt, my wife and I elected to have a twenty five thousand dollar wedding and a four thousand dollar honeymoon we "paid for" ourselves on credit cards, some interest free but much of it riding on APR interest rates. We had literally zero dollars in savings, and were living with, like $800 each in our checking accounts and decided we wouldn't ask family for money. Instead of gifts or money, we had our guests donate to charity with the understanding we'd be earning "soon enough" to justify it. We proceeded to then get pregnant within a year and had a baby, delaying my wife's entry into her staff job 3 months while she took maternity. To top it off, before we even paid down our credit cards, I went out and bought her a NEW (ugh) $70,000 car with just my first month's paycheck to get approved for an auto loan. Also before we had even paid off credit card debt, we'd gone out and bought a house with zero down on 2 (actually relatively reasonably structured) ARMs stacked on top of each other (and were so cash poor that I wasn't sure we would have cash to put up earnest money), but by this point I was reading BFC on the regular and things were looking up.

Being really high earning and living on a budget swings things pretty rapidly the other way toward being VGWM, but that's not what this thread is about. You came here for the red meat!

edit: I will never forget the day someone in BFC pointed out to me what carrying interest on a credit card was doing every month to our cash flow and it was like this light flipped on. Doctors are human beings just like everyone else and it's really easy to justify bad behavior when you've been delaying gratification so long and you see all your peers with their whole lives developing while you're in this arrested development. The resource I read that really made up my mind was "the Millionaire Next Door," just wish I'd read it before I bought our car.

I have been in the medical industry for a fairly long time and before that knew quite a few med students. I honestly thing money management should be a mandatory class.

Edit: Based on a smaller sample size the same should apply to nurses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zrsi2/graduating_this_year_540k_student_loan_debt/

-540k in Student Loans
- Has been to 3 different Dental schools.
- Wants to "buy a practice" when he graduates because he can't stand the idea of working for someone else
- Wants to look into "cheap mortgage" options when he graduates
- Interest only on debt + Basic living expenses are 5k per month.

I can't speak for dentistry but for med school assuming you weren't a complete fuckup with either your loans/spending you should be able to get clear of your debts after like 2-3 years of private practice. I didn't read the Reddit thread but I feel like switching schools three times is a giant red flag.

• Locked thread