Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

18k and automatic. Not sure what the other things are, but I’ll check KBB on it in a minute. I did the math and homeboy had it only a year and a half, which averages to a hair over 87 miles driven every single day he had it. I’m a complete idiot about cars, but sounds WAY too high.

For what it's worth I have a 75 miile round trip commute and drive a fair bit on the weekends too, which comes out to around 26,000 per year. So it's possible if he has a similar situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Dual mass flywheels are horribly vague and standard on most manuals. If you have a dsg it would be funny to put a gti clutch pedal that lit up a "danger to the manifold" light when pressed to confuse people.

This is the sort of thing that maybe plays well in places where the humor doesn't translate well into English but I encourage you to workshop it some more before taking on the road in freedom loving countries.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

If it's any consolation, the stock paint chips stupid easily too

Every carmaker switched to watercolors to paint their cars someone in the 80s, it seems.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yesterday I was treated to the sight of a veteran salesman being simultaneously surprised and dismayed at his employer's markup on a Civic Type R. I think it may have been legit; dude suggested I wait a few months or look in Iowa.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Four wheel go isn't always four wheel stop, it seems!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i dunno about that i had some souped up charger dude like do the race engine a bunch of times at a red light and then launch it at the green to the fiesta, flipping me off the whole time and im just like yeah whatever dude yer fast got it.

They seem to get doubly agitated when you refuse to race them. I sometimes wonder if it's not some law enforcement bait thing; the Miami police had a couple of riced out seized Civics years ago they'd roll around in and write tickets. But I know that's not likely and it's almost certainly just some twit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was an automatic and still felt great to drive.

That chassis really feels peppy, whether it's a Ford or a Mazda. I really wish they hadn't discontinued the Fiesta ST, though I'm sure I can console myself with the Civic Type R.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

Do the local, so that way you can always walk away if it turns out fishy.

This. If they flake on you, Alabama is the backup.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's ok, it just means it's easier to remove them next time!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The closest thing the US has to that is the Elantra GT. We aren't getting the i30N for a while if ever; the Veloster N is the first N that Hyundai is bringing to the US.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

Way better motor however.

Stick a K20A2 in it. :getin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After The War posted:

Man, that's perfect, but there's no way to get down there. :(

Whereas I do stink and look funny, so that sounds like a good fit!

Greyhound will get you there if you want it badly enough.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After The War posted:

I'm about to make a Terrible Life Choice! :neckbeard:

Point of information: Honda is a Japanese manufacturer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

Yeah this and the interior was 100% trash, the seat matetial was like a cheap pair of walmart gym shorts, the seats looked like some cheesy APC Racing crap from the early 2000's, and the radio has no volume knob.

Give me some leather or even alcantara recaros. And ditch the stupid plastic nonsense bodykit :(. Honda/acura used to be so cool and have such modest yet high level of quality.

I love mine to bits anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Most people tracking them have stepped down to 18's, haha.

The dubs are ridiculous on the Type R.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i do like doing the "what the gently caress" arms at people on the road.

:smithfrog:

On the whole you're better off not acknowledging that other drivers exist. Respect that the other cars exist with turn signals and defensive driving, don't ignore pedestrians, etc, but eye contact, gestures, and other personal communication have a way too high chance of making some diseased motherfucker flip out on you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

Not technically a hatch but im about to pull the trigger on a new civic si - anyone have one? I drove it and it was good except for no e brake and horrendous touch control bullshit.

I have a Type R and that's my opinion of the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

The only wet DCT I'm aware of that's "sensitive" is the early GT-R.

Did they actually fix it, or did they just take launch away?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Where abouts in VA? I run summers year round on my FoST and I live in NoVA, it can get a bit squirrely in the winter but I just consider that a fun bonus. I just got used to doing it with my RWD cars for years so why change what isn't broke.

I'm also in NoVA and not looking forward to the CTR in snow. :smithfrog:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

We sure have a lot of NoVA people in here...

I spend enough time in my car I want something fun to be in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

The RS is amazing and the most fun car I’ve driven. It’s fun on a bun and gets lousy mpg but tons of smiles per gallon. Supposedly Honda is making a more subdued styling version of the Type R but it isn’t confirmed yet.

There are a bunch of rumored Type R variants. More power, subdued styling, no touring package, AWD. No telling which will happen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

I miss my RSX every day. Almost impossible to find one that hasn't been driven into the ground with 150k+ miles.

Loved that car. Never once failed me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

joe944 posted:

11mpg in traffic sucks.

It's pretty terrible on the highway too!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

waiting for the volume knob myself what a comfortable useful sedan

Yeah, I'm going to be really interested if you can transplant that head unit with volume and fan controls into an older Civic because that would make me a really happy panda.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm biding my time until CTRs come off lease and I can get one <$30k... until then I am looking for a 2nd gen manual Fit for around $8k so I can drive out to a GridLife event and do the Sundae Cup.

Are any of those hitting leases? I thought demand was high enough they were holding out for marked up sales.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

People are leasing them, I mean when the leases get returned to the dealers :)

Oh, your meaning came through fine! I was just surprised they were doing leases at all instead of 100% wildly inflated sales.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

If you're willing to shop around you can get them for MSRP now, but yeah, the lease on them is loving insane. Something like $500/mo, $2500 down, 3yr, 36k miles, $22.5k residual

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other cars as fun and as small as the Fiesta ST now that it's done in NA?

A Fit Si would own

Would like to see a Civic Type R engine in a Fit or CR-Z.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

don't drive like an rear end in a top hat

seriously underrated advice for a variety of conditions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Maybe I still have PTSD from United, but flying Delta domestic as Platinum gets me upgraded 99% of the time and they treat me great.

I've even been upgraded to first on flights to Mexico and stuff where you get real food on real plates with metal silverware. I nearly cried.

Wrong tab mang, that goes to the business travel thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

oooh where is that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516448

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

The logo fell off my key fob. I think I'm doing this right?

Can't see a problem.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

i would drive a type r but after i sold the wheels cause i can't imagine how terrible 20" wheels are to deal with

They're more than a little annoying. The huge rear end heavy wheels are my only real gripe with the car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

I feel like Honda could sell a ton if they were to offer a "Type R Stealth Edition" that kept all the go-fast bits but had Si wheels and aero. Something that could still be hooned but didn't look like it belonged on the cover of a Need For Speed Underground game.

On that note I'm also surprised there's not a Si hatch.

If you get it in a dark color it's less of a visual riot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Weird. The VW salesman at my local dealer said he'd put three orders in for them already, and was happy to take mine down if I wanted it.

He can put in all the orders he wants. Doesn't mean he'll get any.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

the ones they sold in the 90s that were actual hatchbacks

What's a hatchback?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Why do the prerelease cars tend to have the wacky paintjobs/wraps? Is there a specific reason for it?

Used to be to disguise the shape but anymore it's just tradition and attention whoring. I expect they're going to start selling ads on them like NASCAR at some point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Honda is apparently planning to close the Swindon plant in 2022, I wonder what this bodes for the Civic Type R:

https://news.sky.com/story/honda-to-stun-ministers-with-closure-of-swindon-factory-11641154

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Had a dream last night that I was rallying my stock GTI in Finland (like you do), went over a big jump, and the front end came up mid-air and I landed smack on the rear end. Woke up wondering how I was going to explain it to the insurance company and my wife. :stonklol:

Those Duke boys are at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Get the F150. States have stopped fixing pot holes.

Can confirm, DC beltway pothole ate my passenger front tire today; I just put the summer wheels back on three days ago.