Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This is the reason my 2dr isn't that big a deal. I almost never have the seats up since I haul so much crap around on a regular basis. So far my best is 7 complete desktops/monitors for a deployment. Some of it spilled into the passenger seat though :)
Not the most I've hauled by any means (there's been a few Costco trips with one or both parents where we buy a bunch of crap before remembering we took my car) but I was proud of this one, ladder in a Mini:

Had to leave the seat tilted forward but at least there was a decent bit of room for front/back adjustment. I just remembered another one that was difficult, passenger plus her bike (regular adult size mountain bike), took off the front wheel and barely fit it in. Obviously not a huge deal volume wise but the dimensions just made them a massive pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I drive an auto :ohdear::ssh:. It does not prevent hooliganism.

I left foot brake though so uh, at least I'm putting both feet to use I guess :effort:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finally got my :rice: wheels mounted:

Hard to tell there but the barrel/inside face is painted blue. Hey it matches my interior accent color :colbert:, and other set of mirrors which I've been working on repainting a better blue. The black on the ones here is actually chalkboard paint, I wanted to maybe draw stuff or do other random colors but couldn't commit to anything. Unfortunately I couldn't find appropriate chalk in stores the other day (just sidewalk chalk which apparently fucks it up) so now I'm just waiting for the mail.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

Nice ones! I honestly think white spoked rims are the best, those will most likely be on my ST sometime in the future.
Thanks, it's been something I've been wanting to do for years but finally got it done. I put opticoat on them so hopefully they won't be a nightmare to clean later.

White chalk came in, a few seconds later :haw:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ludicro posted:

S'up Cooper S bro?

You can't really see it in the above pic, but what I really love about my car is the interior.

As I'm far too poor and inexperienced to have a new one, I got this one used about 5 weeks ago. Its a 2007 petrol model in exceptional condition, 1.6l turbocharged engine which I believe delivers 181hp and can do 0-60mph in about 7 seconds. Unfortunately while the car might be capable of going that quickly, I am not. All that is left to do really is add some bonnet stripes and a checkered flag roof in time for the London to Brighton Mini rally.
:911::hf::britain: ...it took me a while to notice the wheel was on the right in that picture :downs:

I think that's 170HP while the later ones at some point got a bump (and more efficiency) with some engine tweaks. Does that red on the doors extend all around to the rear as well? Looks pretty wild. I just remembered there's matching shifter/ebrake boots if there's not enough matching color in there for you. And red side/dash panels! (instead of those gray pieces), but I'm not sure they're the same color.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Trambopaline posted:

Hmm okay, that's interesting. I might have to do a fair amount of test driving to see if it suits me.

I'm just trying to plot out my next purchase if i ever flog my aging E36 to death. I figured I must not be that much of a demaning driver of my car because even when I think that I'm trying to thrash the car around tight mountain roads, I haven't really reached the point where I've gotten any meaningful tire squeal out of an FR. My line of reasoning from that point was then to ask if upgrade to a newer FR, am I paying FR tax for extra performance I wouldn't actually be using?
Well you can use it, it's a matter of figuring out how to do it. I'm not sure it's a big deal until you reach the limits of the tires (or chassis or whatever), and even then there's all the fancy computery bits and what not compensating one way or another, on top of different cars having their own personalities.

Back to figuring out how to use it, Chris Harris has a few videos covering FWD driving that might be helpful. Other than learning the driving differences I guess it's just a matter of experience and getting used to how the car responds. And maybe learning left foot braking if you don't do it already :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I guess it depends how hard your E36 as to whether you would really notice the dynamic differences. Have you ever had any "might be an idea to get some opposite lock on right about now" moments in it?

The main problem with quite a few modern cars with DBW throttles is that they kill throttle input on brake application, making left-foot-braking impossible, and so by extension you just can't drive the cars properly.

FWD is fun in a "grab the car by the scruff of the neck and throw it down a twisty road" way in something with a half-decent chassis, and you don't even need a "hot" hatch - if anything, there is more satisfaction in going balls-out in an underpowered car, and even a well-driven 1.2-1.4 cooking model can make itself known to "fast" cars on a country road.

The various electronic nonsense they throw at cars to protect retards from themselves can get hosed, though.
Crap I keep forgetting about that. I thought (hoped) it was only in extremes to prevent more unintended acceleration incidents, like full throttle and full brake application or something. Have you experienced it yourself in anything yet? I don't think I've noticed it in my patents' recent Prius but I can't say I've driven it all that hard around corners :v:

As for the electronics I think they're fine if they can be adjusted and turned off. Protect people from themselves and random hazards, but get out of the way if the driver wants that. Course that's a matter of different cars (and drivers) again. I haven't noticed the traction control on my car other than possibly saving my rear end once so I just leave it on, and worst case turning it off is just holding a button down for a few seconds.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's the tow mount ones if you have one of those in the front bumper. I'd probably go that route just to prevent drilling holes in mine. (Course I think it looks worse than the normal center mounting)

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You can put random stuff into a 2 3 door too, I had a big garbage can and box of 6000 napkins in the back of my Mini today...although as I was buying the garbage can I was thinking ":ohdear: I don't know if this will fit." The whole "buy a bunch of stuff before remembering what I drive" thing has actually come up a bunch now that I think about it, but it's always been big enough.

Edit: even with humans! The trick is that they can hold stuff so you can cram things in differently when they're involved.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah you can probably blame the truck driver for the crash itself, but it's kinda moot relative to everything else the kid already did before that. And the entire reason the truck driver did it was cause what the kid did in the first place.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

Anyone have tips for cleaning Fiesta ST rados? At least twice, with two different very soft clothes, I have gotten a bit of dust trapped and scratched the clear coat of the rim.
Maybe one of those touchless cleaning sprays? I've thought about them but the price has always put me off (granted I'm cheap). I've heard dish soap or degreaser works well for breaking down brake dust, but I've also heard they're bad for plastics and rubber so maybe do some research beforehand if you try that out. Otherwise one of those big detailing brushes with long soft bristles might work, I guess they're meant to scrub stuff without applying too much focused pressure. Seems like most if not all have a metal core which I'm paranoid about though.

Poisonlizard posted:

Yea, I got tired of that within a month and plasti dipped em black.
Haven't found anything that really keeps the screen clean, fingerprint magnet no matter what.
Or do this. Is buildup noticeable at all on that anymore? And hows it been holding up?

More dirty wheel chat, I'm not sure I've ever cleaned mine since putting them on quite a while ago, reading this thread got me to actually do it finally...it's something I should do constantly considering they're white. I put Opticoat or one of those supposedly fancy coat things on beforehand to hopefully make it easier to clean, I'm pretty sure I put it on wrong (put too much on) but I don't know if it's making a difference in this case. Also painted the inside blue for some subtle :rice: (might as well be black from afar) and to hide how bad the barrel would look when dirty. On the other hand it made it kinda hard to see what was clean/dirty when cleaning the barrels.

Spraying it down got a good chunk off, kinda curious if a pressure washer would get all the rest or still require some elbow grease:

Did the rest by brush and hand (cause the brush couldn't get into all the edges/corners :argh:). It should look a bit brighter than this but it was bright enough to throw off the camera relative to the last shot:

Of course after driving around the left over water/rust or whatever in the little crevices leaks out and splatters around. I should just leave a spray bottle and rag in the garage to do a quick spray and wipe now and then instead of letting it become a pain in the rear end again.

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 27, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I still swear by my DWS. They're cheap as hell compared to other tires and are a Z rated all season. I have yet to be able to push them past their limit on daily driving and they're better than most in the snow if you want to push the limits of when you switch to/from your snows. Although unfortunately they're supposed to be 50k mile tires but I'm barely going to get around 30k out of them. They're only like 220 each for 19" compared to 300+ for drat near any full on summer tire.
:drat: I'm glad I have small wheels/tires, those are $121 for my 17". I got the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (had to look up the invoice to remember that name) a while back, currently $109 each for me. I was gonna mention them for the guy earlier as a cheaper option but when I looked it up it was on par with what he was going with, around $170-180 iirc. They're on sale and under $200 for some of the 19" ones though v:shobon:v

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
CA requires it too but it doesn't seem to be enforced much.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Franco Caution posted:

Also, how is the sun screen thing on the GTI? I really could care less for a sunroof but if I end up with an autobahn its going to have that included. I ask because the one I saw at the dealership had this flimsy screen with pinholes in it rather than a proper fully sealed cover you could open or close to block out the sunroof. Does that actually block out light? I really hope so.
If it's like the one on my Mini (and it does sound similar going by the other guy's post) it does block a decent amount, but ultimately it does still let light in. I've gotten used to it but it can get occasionally annoying if the sun is in the right spot. For the Mini some company has made opaque covers that fit in, not sure there's something similar for GTIs, but otherwise tinting is pretty common as mentioned.

Cthulhuite posted:

You've all put me at ease, I think I'm probably going to just run in there and throw money at them to get this car. Easily the most fun I've had behind the wheel!
One of us, one of us :getin:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GutBomb posted:

It's about the same size as a super Nintendo. So really small.
And a related side note, there are drivers on the road today that were born after the N64 came out so that might not be the best reference if The Locator happened to be a younger driver :v: (but probably not going by the reg date). We are old.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I see a Mini and CarPlay mentioned, time to contribute my monstrosity!:

Apparently I don't have that many pictures of my car. And mostly bad. Mine is the tacky one on the right:

2008, had pretty much every known common engine problem, many at least once. Replacing it with a Kona N soon cause I make questionable decisions, it's weird and dumb in mostly right ways for me. It's...kinda like a hot hatch? :ohdear:

Bape Culture posted:

E: holy poo poo just noticed the new binnacle! That’s insanely trick. What a great bit of design
The what and the what now? Been keeping up with Minis up until the last few months and don't remember mention of that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

This thing:

It looks all digital but it’s actually just a portrait screen in between two physical gauges that are lit to mimic screens. I’m impressed.

I’m impressed you got your phone working with the older style stereo. As soon as I looked at retrofitting on my current one my eyes just glazed over. Automotive wiring is not the one.
Ah yeah, "binnacle" confused me there. It can actually be retrofitted to previous years too iirc, not sure how far back though.

My setup mostly works, and no internal wiring to mess with. It's basically just an Android phone with one of those wireless CarPlay adapters. Music audio goes through an old Bluetooth-iPod adapter that hooks up through the original iPod integration. Phone audio (and Siri) is...broken, cause the car's Bluetooth pairing doesn't stick anymore for whatever reason. Not sure whether it's something broken car side like messed up memory or battery, and/or newer iPhone/iOS just not playing nice.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I’m probably not getting it now anyway because of the chip shortage. So it looks like I’ll just get the normal stack like my current one lol

I just thought the mix of analogue and digital was neat :)
Oh dang, they're cutting that out too? I was looking into a Countryman a few months back and the upgraded stereo option became limited to the JCW model. Heard the digital display isn't really used for much so I guess not a huge loss at least.

I like the first and second gen too cause it's just the tach, don't need no speedo :v:
It's a dumb little thing but I like that the Hyundai N models have a tach focused screen available on their digital dash.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rusty posted:

I went and drove a Kona N at the local Hyundai dealer and loved it, and probably would have just bought it then and there until they guy said it had a $5k markup. I understand the ionic markup I guess, but even those weren't selling on the dealer lot, they had like 10 of them and were only marked up like 3k. Anyway, no way I am spending 40k on a Kona. I took a shot of my GTI by an Ionic 5 for size comparison since everyone says they are so large compared to what you think they are. It was large, but not that big.

Anyway, if you are in the Portland area and want to see a bunch of Ionic 5s, there are tons at the beaverton Hyundai on the lot and for sale.
Yeah Kona N markup is ridiculous, been hearing $5-10k from most places here in California. Found some dealers that do MSRP but didn't have the color I wanted, best I could find was $395 over which eh whatever, there's barely been any at all down here. Supposed to be coming sometime this month.

And can't tell if you're being sarcastic with that pic :v:. I saw one too, smaller than I expected but still thought the size was noticeable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KakerMix posted:

That they did it at all kinda speaks for how not-an-integra-as-people-remember it is, ironic because they are trying to bank on the name.

That the car itself isn't white and the INTEGRA on the side isn't red is the biggest goddamn crime of all. Like goddamn Honda at least put in the tiniest amount of effort to understand why people like the Integra so much.
Whenever I see the giant name on the side I just imagine Principal Chalmers yelling "that's how people know it's an Integra!"

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Hatch?

At least it’s turbo and has straight pipes.

GTIs are longer and wider :shrug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

From what I understand wrt Mini Coopers, there’s a ton of 00’s-era cars out there that are fun and quirky, but you have to settle for the Tritec or Prince motors, both of which appear to be considered—not worse, but certainly a lot less capable than the modern BMW stuff. Also the Tritec is half Chrysler and the Prince is half Peugeot, which like eww on both counts.

But those cars are relatively plentiful and relatively cheap, barring market bubble times.

And if you want the best ICE Mini experience possible as an enthusiast, then you’re basically obligated to shell out for a 3rd generation model with the B48, and that Gen 3 is a radically better car.

Am I correct in that assessment?
Don't know the 1st gen much other than auto trans issues, although I'm sure there's more. 2nd gen I'm decently familiar with, particularly with the early models like my 08. Came out with the 07s and I think tweaked for the 11 refresh or so, and maybe a few other times as they kept trying to fix things. 3rd gen is pretty solid from most accounts, I vaguely recall something...maybe the engine mounts, but could be totally off there (and might be Countryman specific since that's what I was looking into).

But Prince stuff off the top of my head: timing chain potentially blowing up engines, valve cover (or whatever various gasket) leaks, turbo line leak, coolant thermostat/housing leak, fuel pump failure...and new one that I just got recently :suicide:, oil filter (housing?) leak. I've had a few of those happen a few times, luckily got the timing chain fixed before it destroyed the engine.

There's cheapish replacement turbo lines that supposedly fix that problem, coolant thermostat housings appear cheap enough, and the various gaskets and such. It's mainly* the labor that'll get you cause from what I can tell it seems like a bitch to get at anything. So might be ok for a DIYer, but a potential money pit for an idiot like myself. Didn't seem too complex for the ones I looked at, mostly just annoying and time consuming with all the stuff you need to get out of the way first to access anything. I might be able to do the stuff...but also might just end up stuck with a bunch of random car parts on the floor and an inoperable car.

*...well the fuel pump was expensive as poo poo and took a while to come in a few years ago...I wouldn't want to look at that with the current state of things.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I also enjoy the straight pipe turbo cackle, and better fuel economy
Early second gen didn't get the cackle :(. I think it was added back for the refresh. I forget if 3rd gen might've recently lost it for 22s.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Friend gave me a ride in his Mach-E to the Hyundai dealer 100 miles away to pick up my dumb new car:

It is incredibly dumb, I love it. Didn't really get a chance to mess with the settings or anything much yet, basically just put my money down, drove to get some food (...and charge the Mach-E) then back home. Reviews mentioned the softest suspension setting was still pretty stiff...and yeah :v:. Not sure if it's harder or not than my 08 Mini (w/sport suspension option) but was in a similar ballpark of stiff but fine, at least cause I've been used to it I guess.

About the only thing I messed with while driving was changing one of the custom modes to turn everything down, while the other by default has everything maxed out (I think you can set two custom plus the maxed default?). Basically just playing around toggling between like a quiet/eco mode and stupid loud mode, but mostly just to run the center tach dash display.

Oh and the lane centering/assist or whatever was pretty good, if terrifying to use having never driven with one before. Course the US spec Kona N doesn't get adaptive cruise (among other options I would've liked :argh:) but can't say I've ever been a big cruise control user to begin with, just would've liked it for slow traffic at times (in theory at least).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not sure 93 is even available in California :shrug:

Ok Comboomer posted:

“designed to use” implies something like my E36, which has a big sticker on the fuel cap telling you not to put lower than 89 in it

The owners manual that came with my FiST says it was designed to run on 87, but “higher performance may be obtained with higher octane fuel” (or something like that, it’s raining and I’m not about to go looking thru my car’s manual for the exact wording. But my point is that Ford isn’t exactly super clear about how the car’s behavior should relate to octane level)
Hyundai has something like that in the Kona N manual (...going by someone's picture, haven't looked myself). Like says it's fine with 87 then followed up with a bunch of language heavily suggesting you use 91.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

The highest we can get in Canada most of the time is 91. If gas prices ever come back down I'll try it but for the time being I'm happy to have the option of only paying $1.70/L ($7.72/gal)
I was curious which gallons you meant but did the math and found imperial gallons...I think. That'd be $6.44 in US gallons if I'm doing the math right. Southern California prices are pushing up there in places but can still get under $6 here if I look enough.

drat different gallons, and octane rating calculations for that matter :argh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

How did I not know there were different gallons
Cause it's dumb and confusing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The real fun is when you combine it with the different octane ratings. Then you have people talking about something like 30 mpg on 95 vs others with 25 mpg on 91, with no one realizing they're referring to equivalent numbers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And I just discovered E5 and E10 gas, and that E15 may be getting a temporary push soon for dumb reasons.

Relating it back to the thread topic, my Kona N is getting like 5mpg less than my 2008 Cooper S, ~25 down to ~20. Might be within 2-3 on my current tank though!

Edit - new page, so uh, Kona is still fun and dumb. Suspension is still hard, but the middle setting is probably the best cause it just dampens out all the bounciness of the lowest setting. Hardest is just...I can't imagine using it on anything but a perfect road/track. Speakers suck. The non hatch-y part: just having a little more ground clearance is amazing, not a huge amount but basically enough to not have to give a poo poo about scraping on steep entrances/driveways, speed bumps, etc.

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 20, 2022

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

also the people that are going to slide backwards into you the first day it snows.
Not a problem in Southern California :smug:...unless you go to the various nearby enough activities where you might have to deal with snow.

Ran into that a little bit when going to Mammoth a few weeks ago, trying to beat a storm into town. Luckily wasn't too much snow covered road yet when I got there and was able to get to the hotel ok enough. Bought some chains earlier, but didn't want to use them cause the manual said to not use chains with the stock wheel/tire size. Not sure if super thin sets or tire socks might work ok.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Supposedly this trick works for wind noise at least:

tl:dr (dw?) wrap some cord around the bars, like the spiral around long car antennas.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, I’m saving up for a new car, I’m considering getting the hyundai Kona N hot hatch, reviews seem positive but my main worry seems to be how the suspension will handle daily driving on not perfect streets, any of you ever drive or use one? What are your impressions?
I put over 5K miles in mine so far, the suspension is...ok enough. Highest setting feels pointlessly hard (outside of maybe perfect track conditions?), but the low and middle are usable day to day. I'd say the low is stiff but can still be bouncy, while the middle is maybe a little stiffer but the noticeable difference is that it basically dampens out the bounciness.

Otherwise whatever quick initial impressions I had are in one of my posts a few months back, and current impressions are still good. Still would've liked the better option spec that's available elsewhere, but otherwise yeah, can't think of any major complaints that'd make me want anything else, particularly for the price.

Well the gas mileage isn't so hot but at least prices aren't as bad as a few weeks ago :smithicide:. Longer highway driving I get about 25-30 MPG US (and a little more on really long steady road trip drives), like 18-22 on surface streets, total average around 22-23. For comparison in my 08 Cooper S I think I got about 3-5 MPG more.

Edit: just got back from a drive and was reminded of the brake squeal. Supposedly some brake lube like Permatex helps there…or just brake a bit hard or light enough that you’re out of that squeal sweet spot.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 18, 2022

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheBacon posted:

California only allows 85% on the 2 front windows iirc and yeah only a small strip on windshield. Not that it really stops anyone
I thought it was 70% but either way yeah no one gives a poo poo. I've also seen tint places that have some coverage with regards to fix it tickets like removal and discounted replacement if that ever comes up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sure; but they don’t need a special tint law to do that.
Sure, but it codifies a legal situation for them to do it. Plus lets them give tickets which, if not taken care of (likely in the case of low income folks), can snowball into much worse stuff.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Picked up a wireless dongle for the android auto in my 7.5 GTI, really wish I'd done this sooner! Got it set up last night and it seems to be working pretty much flawlessly.

https://www.aawireless.io/
Wireless is nice, got a CarPlay one for my Kona a while back...cause Hyundai's nicer infotainment setups (at least of the Kona's generation) don't have wireless but their lower end ones do :argh:

There's also pricier stuff (in the $250-300 range last I saw) that's essentially just a full on Android device on its own. They can still do CarPlay/Android Auto, but the whole schtick with those is being able to use standard Android apps, like for video streaming or car data (if you have an OBD reader), or whatever crap you can think of on Android.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

A Kona N is for 35,000 and comes fully loaded with heated seats :eng101:
Not a huge deal but what are the options like where you are? In the US we have one trim but missing a good chunk of options that are in other markets that have a higher trim available. Main things I've wanted were cooled seats, sunroof, and adaptive cruise, and there's a decent chunk of other stuff missing for the US.

As for the suspension, it's fine...not great by any means but usable enough, for me at least. It kinda depends what your expectation of "fine" is. I was coming from a Mini with the sport suspension option and that was somewhat on the stiffer end of things, and the Kona is comparable. I've driven a decent number of people around and no one has said anything really, other than when talking with other car people and paying attention to it. I do plan on eventually moving down to 18" wheels with fatter sidewall tires to help once I need a tire change though.

...I am also an idiot that never learned to drive stick. I left foot brake and keep my car in manual mode though, so at least I'm keeping all my extremities active :shrug:. I did seriously consider the GR but it was too far out time wise for me, and then the volume announcement (single digit thousands for the US iirc?) made it a moot point, no way in hell I'd be able find one anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

We have the full options, sunroof, cooled seats and adaptive cruise are all included, we also have a couple extra colors like this nice dark grey.
:911::argh:

quote:

I am upgrading from 10 years old the cheapest regular rear end Hyundai Accent trim you can buy, that’s the type of car I’m moving from, is the suspension better or worse?

Does going over speed bumps and minor holes or uneven gravel bumps very jarring?

Also when listening to music how much does road/exhaust noise interfere?
Knowing absolutely nothing about your old Accent, including how worn your suspension is after 10 years, I can't really say. Found this from a review for the 2012 model:

quote:

With MacPherson struts upfront and a torsion-beam suspension at the rear, the Accent is competent and smooth, but almost to a fault. Although it is wonderfully relaxed on the highway, the spongy springs struggle to control body motions. During aggressive cornering, body movements seem to boss the torsion beam around, compromising path control. Hyundai, however, probably wouldn’t try to tell you that this is an economy car for the enthusiast. The Accent is a serene and relaxed form of affordable transportation.
...yeah the Kona is gonna be way stiffer. I imagine everything everyone drives in this thread is going to be noticeably stiffer, with the Kona being among the worst of the bunch. Totally livable personally as my daily driver, just don't expect it to smoothly glide over rougher stuff like some of the more refined cars.

Road noise isn't great but music is fine. Exhaust depends on the setting, the quietest it's probably comparable to any other car (maybe louder as you rev up), while the middle/loudest will have a drone to it at highway speeds.

Not sure if the audio is any different among markets...we have a HK branded system, I've seen Krell for others, might be identical for all I know, but the EQ or crossover or something is weird. So there's a subwoofer...but I've only ever noticed it once. I only knew it had one from spec sheets and one day just going to the back and putting my ear against the speaker grill. One day one random song came on and bam the car was all boomy, that's the only time I've heard it like that. In general I'd say the audio feels pretty tinny, but apparently the potential is there, just not working for me and my music for whatever reason. I know the stereo is a common complaint but haven't dug into a simple fix vs just swapping out the speakers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheWevel posted:

my problem with the hyundais is the interior. just the hardest, monotone black plastic everywhere.

i looked long and hard at the kona n and just couldn’t do it
Yeah this is a big knock if you care about that. I was coming from a Mini and was debating another with various interior options, and the Kona is just...black everywhere. There's a few extremely subtle light blue touches but that's it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I guess I got bamboozled by the name and pedigree so I thought “oh they are an OG luxury Italian car company maybe they’re finely crafted reliable cars” but now I’m reading more and more online about how horrendously unreliable their recent more affordable models are and now I’m fully turned off by anything associated with them. Guess the hornets off the list until I see reviews about their reliability.
Has any "luxury Italian car company" ever been known for reliable cars? Or just Italian...or most luxury brands for that matter, although for the latter you might have to distinguish between reliability vs just expensive as poo poo to maintain.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheBacon posted:

Speaking of fords, does this count as a hot hatch? And why do I want it so much

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3vJxZpWm/2014-ford-transit-connect-xlt
:vince:
I was legit considering a Transit Connect for a while but wanted more performance, so yeah. Ultimate boxy car practicality plus go fast engine fits the hot hatch ethos enough to appeal to the same folks I imagine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sarcastx posted:

Testing a JCW All4 Countryman tomorrow but I'm really not interested in that body style as much as the Clubman. There's some good used ones a few hundred miles away from me so I figure I'll try the Countryman out, and if it's fun enough I'll go on a road trip and pick up a Clubman.

Show of hands: still a hot hatch?
I consider it more of a hot hatch than my Kona N and I'm still here :v:

TheBacon posted:

Lmfao but also isn’t corolla crown in some language? I am just remembering the Throttle House joke that all their models are just different versions of crown.
Can't remember if Corolla was one of them but that video was the first thing I thought of while reading that letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Welcome to the tall hatch club :v::hf::v: