Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

What the gently caress is this, I just saw that the cutcos are recommended on http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Knife_Guide

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

I've always heard that they are pretty good knives but overpriced. No experience with them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My edge pro knockoff arrived today. Is there a recommended resource for learning how to use it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok I've sharpened a bunch of knives and while it's not always the simplest thing to deal with, it's relatively foolproof and holy hell are these babies sharp.

I need to try re profiling a shun next. I assume I will start with the gray stone.

Thanks for the rec! My wife described the paring knife I sharpened as "amazing."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Now hack your edge pro knockoff with the spring mod and the drill collar mod.

The what and the what?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Spring: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprocospfor.html
Collar: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

You don't really need to order those, but they have videos of the mods.

Ha, the knockoff comes with the spring installed. But I'll look into the collar. Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got this one. Used the steak knives I sharpened with it last night and they cut through rib eye like it was tenderloin. Very pleased with the result and a lot easier than the spyderco sharp maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you already know you want the santoku. Get what you want, not what someone else would prefer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's definitely adjustable. I think they just mean that you can set the angle at a fixed spot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just don't. They are nearly impossible to sharpen yourself and they break easily. They're a novelty material.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My poo poo is sharper than when I bought it, but higher quality stones wouldn't hurt I'm sure. I'd try the stones that come with it first.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I despise Global'd handles. I think they're also right handed, which makes the small and slippery aspect even worse.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You hear that everyone? If you don't like Globals you don't know how to use a knife and you might as well stick to eating soft foods with nothing but a spork.

Or maybe folks have different opinions and those who think there is one perfect knife should gently caress right off.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And not holding a knife the right way to use it won't ruin or somehow make it not cut. It's a tool. If you gently caress up the edge, put a new edge on it.

And yeah, they are fashionable overpriced knives. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing. I have a few Shun Ken Onions which are also fashionable overpriced knives. But at the end of the day, there's nothing magical about a sharp edge, nor is there one knife that is the best. Find one that feels good in your hand, then cut poo poo with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tell me why I shouldn't but this.

Tojiro Black Finished Shiro-ko Kasumi Nakiri - 6.4" (16.5cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UANWGE/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is no real reason not to unless you don't want to deal with the highly reactive iron cladding on that line.

Anything special I need to know about taking care of it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So this isn't one of those that will develop a protective patina?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the long rear end Victorinox fibrox slicer. It was cheap but it's awesome. You absolutely have to steel it every time you use it, but I would imagine that's common with such thin/flexible knives.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

It's kinda crazy that they've gone up in price as much as they have, but there aren't a lot of competing options if you're specifically looking for something cheaper. The low-end Tojiro Chinese cleaver is a hundred bucks more. The Moritaka's over two hundred more. About the cheapest `name brand' Chinese cleaver you're going to find outside the CCK is the JCK house brand cleaver, which is still more expensive than the CCK and a couple inches smaller. Same with the Misono #6, which is another `entry level' Chinese cleaver, but'll still run you around US$125 and is under 200mm.

You can always just grab a random cleaver from a shop in your local Chinatown, but it'll be a total crapshoot on quality and if you have a local Chinatown and you're in it you're better off just looking for a CCK anyway.

And for the record, Amazon does not sell CCK slicers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

I got The Miracle Blade III set from Amazon they are soooo freaking good I love them

An 11 piece set for $23? That seems a little cheap for knives. Let's see what the manufacturer has to say about them:

Amazon posted:

High-quality German stainless-steel blades; never dull--no need for sharpening

I would expect magic knives to be more expensive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's backordered, but you can get Victorinox knife set that actually has a good selection of knives today for $106 through this link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0...177402741770316

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Not a huge fan of the serrated parer and utility but for $100 that is a great set.

Yeah that one and third knife down, whatever the hell that is, wouldn't get much use in my house but all the others would see time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry somehow I missed the utility mention in your post. And agreed, a slicer would be nice. I have the 12" fibrox slicer. As long as you steel it before every use it's great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your kitchen experience will be much less stressful when you come to view your knives and pans and whatnot as tools. Tools get banged up, they get discolored, they get scratched. Those are just signs that you use them and they're not just for show.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I want a bigger (longer) slicer, I made sushi this weekend and I realized my fibrox just isn't long enough to do few strokes. What can anyone recommend? I'd spend up to $150-200 but would be happy to pay less.

My fibrox slicer is 12 inches. Works great for $35.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Recommend me a knife GWS!

Ok actually it's not for me, it's for my wife. She would use a paring knife for all her chopping needs if I didn't shame her about it. I think she doesn't like the heft and overall size of a proper 8" or larger chef's knife.

I was thinking she might like a 6" or so nakiri. Any particular recs for that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

I own a fair number of nice knives. japanese high carbon, german, cheapo chinese, retail brands

does anyone have any suggestions for a knife that loving blows everything else away? like if I was going to spend over $200, what should I be getting? Is it all gimmick and ornate handle work at that point, and not so much about the knife itself?

I hate this company because of my interactions with them, so I definitely won't be buying this poo poo, but the JCK mr itou stuff always makes me go 0_0;;;

I feel like I should probably own something that respectable at some point in my life. of course I have no idea if the blade itself is a stamped piece of poo poo or not. thanks magic of the internet and spergy knife forums.

Get on Bob Kramer's list. If you're lucky in a few years he will pick your name and you will be able to pay a shitload for one of his knives.

http://www.kramerknives.com

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I just looked this up and that poo poo is interesting as hell. Seems like a lot of time and effort needs to be invested to become a Master Bladesmith.

Have you seen this? This dude's a master bladesmith. I'd say he deserves the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0f2b_0kn0

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anything I should do to this before I start using it? I've heard about forcing a patina on carbon steel, but with some of it already black I wasn't sure if I should do that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just ran into this on Amazon. Anyone have one/can comment? I trust the brand.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZQSOQ

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

emotive posted:

I've been thinking about getting a knife with this style and came across this one -- anyone ever use it?

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Teruhisa-Nakiri-Japanese-Kitchen/dp/B009NEFGEY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The handle is raw, so I'd have to oil or epoxy it, but the reviews seem great.

I have what may be the same knife in a different finish. I really like it. It is low quality in terms of the finish of the steel, but it holds an edge nicely and feels good in my hand. The rest is just character. I haven't done anything to the handle. Wasn't aware I was supposed to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

pretty sure if my knives hit the floor a giant oceanic rift would open up between mainland china and mongolia

Says the guy who chipped a blade on a tortilla chip.

A TORTILLA CHIP

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Chinese cleaver that I took a dremel to the spine and bolster of because it was so angular and uncomfortable. Looks lovely now, feels great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, if you like the knife and are comfortable with what you paid for it, gently caress the haters and keep the knife.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kenji shills for them, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Kenji got a pre-production sample.

I wonder if it had anything in common with the actual production models. Like, they made a good knife, and then had to figure out how to mass produce it, and make a profit at the price they had already sold them for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That knife is dead sexy. I'd have to see how I felt about the heel after using it though. So uh just send it over I guess

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That looks so stupid.

Literally the only way these cats could figure out how to balance a knife was by cutting the handle off.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should get a Bob Kramer knife

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

These look ridiculous but those handles :chloe:

Not sure if you're looking at the Henckels knives with his name on it, or the ones he handcrafts himself. If not the latter, check out this gallery.

http://kramerknives.com/auctions/gallery/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is beautiful. Do you sell those?

• Locked thread