Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

The only real problem with an SV650 sumo/scrambler is that you shouldn't wheelie it. Crazy Klaus (as seen on Suburban Delinquent) has a beater sv scrambler that he relentlessly abuses, and it's beautiful.

Unrelated rant- I hope the cesspool visionary who signed off on the 690 SMC muffler was banned from the industry. I don't understand how you can make something that looks and sounds so good, and yet miss that it gets hotter than a header pipe in may. It's melted so many things so far, including the bike's own tail plastics, and has just taken a huge glob of plastic from my cover. This, despite the fact that the plastic was accidentally in contact with it for no more than half a second. Now I have this four inch square bit of black plastic that is not coming off under conventional removal means.

Oh, and I burned my hand trying to get it wiped off. A real piece of stellar engineering right there, KTM.

I haven't been reading this thread so sorry for being a couple of days late on the reply. What tail plastic is it melting?! Definitely didn't ever have an issue with that, even after a 2+ hour ride on the slab in the middle of summer - I was always amazed that I never managed to melt the turn signal. I did melt a brand new pair of overpants on the header, which is why I wrapped it.

The Powercore 4 that went with the bike runs cooler than the stock exhaust but as Z3n said it screws with the midrange, and it's pretty loud. Takes about 15 minutes tops to swap over, so you can give it a shot and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Toss it up on ADVRider, it's crawling with dudes that have 690 enduros

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I already had that song on my ride playlist (because Spotify's Discover Weekly feature owns) and now I'm doing my best to purge the video from my brain because ugh, git yer feet on them pegs you kids! :corsair:

I can tell I'm an old man because whenever I see dudes on 'tards or dirt bikes doing dank whoolies it's all good but guys doing highchairs on ratted out sportbikes = fuckin squids

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
gently caress paying $100 after labor + taxes just to get two tires mounted and balanced on wheels that are already off the bike. Several of the local shops used to charge $25/wheel, but now they're all up to $35/wheel, plus tire disposal, plus anything else they can come up with. $15 for 3oz of DynaBeads? :catstare:

I should be changing them at home, but I don't trust myself not to scratch the poo poo out of a wheel since I've had rim protectors slip on me before, and I don't have the room for a tire changer that'd get used maybe twice a year.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

A fan that redirects hot air from the rear cylinder and exhaust pipe? WHAT A NOVEL IDEA

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/stay-cool-with-new-coolflow-fan-kit-for-2017-harley-davidson-touring-motorcycles

Sorry? I can't hear you over my 4" Spal.

and it's only $300

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

The_Raven posted:

What the gently caress is the problem with these bagger-waddling assholes who are suddenly putting megawatt sound systems in their shitpiles. Is it that their loving open pipes can only be heard in the next town, so they need a system playing something suitably badass like Luke Bryan or some other prissy faux-country twaddle so they can be heard in the next loving county?

My city (Salem MA) has a charity run shortly before Halloween every year, and it is loving retards-on-parade. Everybody gets drunk by 10AM and drags out their driveway jewelry with 2-year-old oil, 6-year-old brake fluid, underinflated, dry-rotted tires - but the chrome is loving blinding - and half the Electrotard Ultra riders had bags full of amps and 6X9s so loud it was drowning out their lovely potato factories. Is this the new version of HURRR CHOPPA CHOPPA!!1!

gently caress me.

I wonder how many of those guys have killed the stators on their bikes trying to run bigger systemzzzzz

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
We're probably all on DHS watchlists for clicking that link

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
loved my FJR(s) but man it is going to feel like a porker compared to your VFR

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Coydog, the bike is rebelling against the tool tube.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
White connector was on the bike when I bought it, so :iiam:

I didn't have stalling issues, but I put a stock can on the bike almost immediately after I bought it. It came with a FMF Q4 that was loud as gently caress and killed the midrange. I was told that it already had the Akro map in it, but never had that verified at a dealer.

Archives access required: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100205&pagenumber=33&perpage=40#post383539123

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm starting to feel really loving bad, because I sold him the bike. The one time it stranded me it was my own loving fault - I accidentally pulled the key with the lights left on and killed the battery. The dash I had replaced by KTM under warranty for the same issue it's showing now. I didn't have the stalling stuff but I went back to a stock exhaust right after I bought the bike. No issues with it melting plastics except for the header burning a hole in my pants. That said, I didn't ride the piss out of it (the way it really should be ridden).

If I'd known the bike was going to be this much trouble I would've just traded it in somewhere vs inflicting it on someone else.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The WR450Fs are sold as road legal enduros in the UK and elsewhere, 1000 mile oil changes seem to do just fine and they don't go through top ends like motocross bikes seem to.

That said, "800 mile day on a sumo" makes my taint hurt. That's pretty goddamned hardcore.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
IIRC from my '07 FJR, getting to the mirror bolts is something around 4-6 allen screws to remove the two black inner fairing panels on that side of the bike. The screws are small-ish but not too bad, just make sure you don't lose the little clips that they screw into.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Also Unrelated- KTM can't design on their first try a gas cap that doesn't leak gas so now I get to make a viton rubber gasket of my own to fix their design problems. At least it's cheap, and the bike is well documented.

I've seen people replace that cap entirely with vented screw on caps a la your standard dirt bike. I'm sure there's an anodized aluminum one out there in KTM orange somewhere. You'll lose the locking functionality though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Heart, soul, personality, character, heritage, Diesel StyleTM, :italy:

sorry, he rides a KTM. that Diesel style is for Ducati poseurs like me

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Those absolutely appeal to a different kind of buyer. My guess is sport bikes, especially rashed up track bikes, will attract low-balling dumbasses.

I've sold two bikes on Craigslist, my FJR and my FZ1.

With the FJR I had less than 5 people contact me about the bike, two of which came to check it out; the second one bought it. Took ~3 weeks.

I figured the FZ1 would take forever to sell and get a ton of idiot tire kickers, but it actually took less than a week. I only got one hit on it. Guy showed up to look at it, offered $4200 on my $4500 OBO listing, and rolled out with the bike. He didn't even ride it first.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
City commute? The SMC was awesome. Highway commute? I loved my FJR. They didn't meet in the middle particularly well - you can do both on either but the SMC wasn't a rocket couch on the slab, and the FJR wasn't going to jump curbs and make detours over railroad tracks very well.

There's a WR250X that's been all adventured up on CL near me that might kinda make a happy medium, but holy Christ it is ugly as gently caress.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is that "say goodbye to your license" territory in GA? Anything 30 and over in Ohio is 6 points and you'll probably get slapped with a misdemeanor for reckless op

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ripoff posted:

AFAIK GA charges you an extra $200 fee on top of the standard fine that, if not paid, will result in your license being suspended. Otherwise it's the normal points stuff.

Funny enough, super-speeder kicks in when going 85+ on highways too which is laughable to anyone who's been on I-75 or 85 against traffic. I do 80 on those highways and get passed like I'm sitting still.

I remember driving from Athens to somewhere on the west side of Atlanta 15-odd years ago, doing 85 two lanes over from the HOV lane and getting my doors blown off by a minivan with 3 kids in the back. I guess mommy had somewhere to be and she wasn't loving around

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yerok posted:

I've been thinking I'm overdue for some more mushrooms/LSD but I don't know anyone here yet. Wondering if maybe it's time for good ol' DMT. I mean I know that the real answer to my problems is roughly a dozen more motorcycles.

DMT and shrooms are a totally different trip, but have fun either way

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Everyone has at least one family member that makes you question if someone pissed in your gene pool. Some of us have several.

Side note on the "at least he wears a helmet" thing: had a brief discussion about bikes at lunch with a customer this week, when I noticed he wore an HD-branded jacket into the restaurant . Mentioned I was looking for a new summer jacket, and he mentioned he wore a vest and chaps in the summer, but not wearing a helmet kept him cool.

Leathers + no helmet? "Yeah, the leathers will at least make sure my wife can have an open casket at the funeral"

I guess the motor company has invented a leather vest that will automatically deploy itself over your face if you ever get in an accident.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

What is this bizarro garbage design?!

Eh, riding home at 10pm with a tinted visor is terrifying to me, since you really can't see as well as you think you can. Maybe you are an owl, or something.

edit: I do miss how awesome a full mirrored visor was. Looked great, and intimidates everyone.

Apparently they won't put in an internal sun visor because it keeps them from getting Snell certification

quick change of subject: you guys in ATL are screwed, part of I-85 collapsed: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-atlanta-highway-idUSKBN1713CT

"Man, Atlanta traffic can't get any worse" "Oh, really?" :smug:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I got my eyes lasered about 8 years ago for around $3500. I was blind as a bat and had/have a slight astigmatism. Best money I've ever spent.

You can take money out of your paycheck pre-tax to put it in a flex spending healthcare account and use that to pay for lasik. That may make it a bit more affordable.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

bigbillystyle posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that flex spending stuff to save up for it.

just remember that you have to use whatever you put in that flex spending account in that year or you get taxed on it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
So like, Hard Gay but muddy?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you're looking for a tip, just to see how it feels, you'll never get a real power bottom (end). Gotta make sure you're getting the full stroke. Pays to get a full flush through the system first if you're really going to be digging around in there, too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Real men don't ride Ducatis.:clint:

What's that? I can't hear you over the music in this Starbucks

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Took a four hour round trip on the slab up to the Iron Pony this afternoon to go try on some new gear. On the way up, a lovely young lady decided that, oh poo poo, she needed to get off at THIS EXIT (where 71 kicks right and merges with 70 just south of downtown Columbus for anyone who knows that area) and swung over from the far left lane, across the no-man's land between the continuing highway and the offramp and into my lane, and then jammed on her brakes so she didn't rear end the guy two car lengths in front of me. No signal, of course. I was already on the brakes, but had visions of being rear ended and thrown from the bike again.

Flashed my high beams at her, got the "yeah yeah sorry-not-sorry" wave in the rearview. I CANNOT loving WAIT for self-driving cars to be the norm.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Posted in the other thread: don't buy this, don't even bother to go looking at it unless you really like having your time wasted

Beach Bum posted:

Posted in wrong thread initially

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcy/6106450271.html

So uh, how hot is this bike likely to be?

Backstory: This thing showed up yesterday with a similar ad, but didn't mention doubling the price to go to the DMV to get the title. When my buddy who's shopping made the inquiry, "the guy who was actually selling the bike" hung up on him after calling from a different number from the one in the ad and then the ad went down.

Buddy has a work phone he's going to call from to try and set up a viewing. I'm going to go with him and see if we can't get a picture of the VIN plate and make a note of the address.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Who's more entitled, Harley guy for taking up a whole parking space, or you for deciding you need to park there too and taking it upon yourself to move his bike so you can? Do you check cars to see if they're unlocked so you can pop them into neutral and move them out of spaces you want, too?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

yeah see the problem is that a person who is skilled and careful, who would move your bike without damage, is also the kind of considerate person who wouldn't gently caress with your bike in the first place.

I absolutely do not trust average gixxerbro or Dr. Chopper to move my bike without dropping it.

maybe if Dr. Chopper is an actual doctor with the income and insurance to match

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Those are people who want to like bikes because they want to be cool, so when they don't like bikes they think maybe they're not cool because obviously cool people ride bikes. They're the same kind of people endlessly posting selfies on social media and looking for validation from their circle of acquaintances.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow, I follow every traffic law religiously, you should try it.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm the guy doing 110 on the highway zig-zagging, I know the pass, the pass has become me.

:shrug:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Ask her if he unplugged the airbags and cut the seat belts out of his car too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Get some strong-assed magnets and put them on the bottom of the bike so they line up perpendicular to the sensor loop under the pavement. I used a couple from an old dead hard drive I had.

I did this to trip a traffic light sensor by my old house when I couldn't get the city government to adjust it. Assuming that parking gate uses the same kind of sensor it should work.

edit: or just crash it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQZLd6AABE

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It causes plastic gas tanks to swell too, whether the bike is sitting or not.

The entire ethanol situation is retarded from every angle, but there are plenty of more useful things the AMA could be lobbying for/against instead of tilting at that windmill.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

revmoo posted:

Everyone should be carrying at least 100/300 and uninsured/underinsured coverage.

Yep, and you might want to look into an umbrella policy too, especially if you have a decent net worth.

Speaking of insurance: I'm in no way putting any blame for that accident on the Porsche driver, but I am a little surprised that he was driving a financed P-car without either gap insurance or under/uninsured motorist coverage that would at least have the bank off his back about the note on the car. "I'm a responsible person, I'm not going to wreck" might sound good in your head but it doesn't do poo poo to protect you from loving morons like YN.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

rdb posted:

Did someone screenshot that Reddit post? It's deleted and I can't quite figure out who did or didn't do what.

FWIW I think I pay $300 a year for everything on my S1000XR. 250/500/100 plus a 2M umbrella for liability and $500 deductible on comp/collision. Insurance in America isn't that expensive if your credit and driving record is good.

Who's your insurer? I'm paying like $550/year through Allstate on my Multi for 100/300/100 with 500/100 deductibles and no umbrella, and that's with homeowners/auto multi policy discounts and excellent credit and driving records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

It sounds like I'm paying too much in insurance, here's my current bike insurance:

I also have 2 cars, renter's insurance, and an umbrella policy with the same company. They have been easy to deal with when I've had claims in the past though.

As said earlier your age and location factor in, and mid-weight sport bikes are commonly stolen and/or wrecked so they're not cheap to insure.