Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So seeing as "A World at War" is at a pretty good reduced price, is it worth the buy even considering I might only be able to ever get solo games going? Also, do they have any Scenario Packs that bundle several together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Obfuscation posted:

All I know about AWaW is that it's Third Reich derivative so I'm guessing that it's bad, just buy Totaler Krieg(or Unconditional Surrender) instead.

Hmmm, seems like USE is better for solitaire play, thanks for the recommendation. Now to track down a physical copy!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Part 1 was Culture before Culture.

Do they have a review for Stalingrad? If not, Victory in the Pacific :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
THIS guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Palmer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

He's like... a boardgaming superhero or something

Edit: Someone needs to play against him and curse him out "Palmer you son of a bitch, I read your book!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 3, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I may never play ASL in my life, but this is a cool idea.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey Hunter's Over the Top thread got me thinking: are there people that play miniatures wargames using virtual tabletops like VASSAL or roll20?

I suppose that sort of obviates the point of playing that kind of game if you're just going to abstract your Napoleonic regiment into a NATO counter, but then it would come with the advantage of pixel-perfect positioning and measurement, freedom to shape terrain as you wished, freedom to have army compositions that aren't limited by your budget and/or handiwork, and all the rest of the advantages of storing the game digitally over the internet.

I believe Tabletop Simulator might have a lot of miniatures wargames in the Steam Workshop.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Over The Top

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

If there's any particular issue giving you trouble I'll do a mini-LP right in this very thread!

I would do a full thread for "Retaking Vierville" or something simple like that, but I feel like people would just be bored. If there's one thing I love, it's solo ASL.

Considering there's currently a guy with a thread playing World In Flames, all by himself, I think yours would have as much participation.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

I'd love to see someone doing a UCS LP myself.

I'm tempted since I like how easy it looks (and it would give me a reason to play it) but I don't feel confident enough with the rules.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Flamethrowers give enemies a bonus to hit you. I can't promise that you'll be long for this world.

Actually, just for fun, I may make a house rule that when the "Fat Samurai" flamethrower unit dies, it creates an explosion in its hex.

Now I'm hoping that my tank somehow runs him over. :getin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It looks like the maps are different scales.

:thejoke:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I was thinking about Germany getting all the attention but then I hosed it up.

Are they actually meant to be played together, despite being so out of sync? That seems kind of ridiculous.

Yes, theres a current WIF lp going that uses all the maps

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Can someone explain what the boxes in the ocean squares in World in Flames are and why they matter?

I'm reading the LP and I've no idea whats going on in the naval portions.

From what I understand of WiF, the boxes within sea zones are a sort of representation of how vast and distant navies are in real life. In order to fight another navy, you need to search for them. You perform a search roll, compare/check the result and then that may have you finding your opponent (or not).

The boxes matter because it means you can't stack a huge amount of ships in a zone to make it impossible to attack.

Posts in the OP for the WiF thread, regarding Naval Units and Combat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085#post440047973
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post440473551

quote:

Each sea zone has sea-box section, 0 through 4, these are the where the naval units are kept in the sea zone during a turn. The higher value section you are in, the easier it is to search for enemy units. (More on naval combat and searching later). The USS Detroit has a movement value of 6 and a range of 3. All naval units that first move into a sea area are in the 0 sea box. She can use one movement point first to move to the East Coast area, if there is no further movement, she remains in the 0 box. She has 5 points remaining, it can move up to the 4 box, spending one point per numbered sea box. A ship may want to move to a sea zone and stay in one of the specific boxes to help defend other naval units in that specific sea box, or to help with naval bombardment. She can spend two movement points to move into the North Atlantic. If moved there she would have 3 movement points remaining and could move no higher than the 3 box in that location. A naval unit does not need to have any remaining movement points available to be able to return to base at the end of the turn. If a naval unit is forced to return to base, either through combat or at the end of the turn, it can return to a country's port that is within double the unit's printed range.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 14, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASLRB and SK1 came in today. I need a counter clipper :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Man, since you bought the ASLRB now you're going to have to buy Beyond Valor when it's back in print!

RIP your wallet forevermore...

I just wish Canada didn't have some weird law that makes Oregon Lamination products illegal (Seriously, I can't find one anywhere)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BrainBot posted:

100% agree. I'm looking at the feasibility of getting one shipped to a hotel while I'm in LA for work.

Apparently there's a guy on BGG offering to bring some to Vancouver and Ottawa, since he'll be visiting those locations this year. Figure it's worth a shot :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I just wish there were a place in the US to get Raaco boxes for less than like... $75 per box.

Googled some

http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?st=Raaco&catalogId=15003&categoryId=800000005978&langId=-1&storeId=10194

Does that help?

Edit: Guess it helps to know which box you're talking about, my bad!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

They're just a middle man for shipping from the UK - shipping would be around $70 :(

drat, that's harsh.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Churchill is now shipping! I'm looking forward to this one.

I clicked on the link and was transported to the late 80's. What gives?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I just wish there were a place in the US to get Raaco boxes for less than like... $75 per box.

I've been doing some searching and I found some cool storage boxes that aren't RAACO, aren't $120+ for a box, AND are sold/shipped in NA.

http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hobpacadostn.html

Ordered a case from them with the GG configuration, will see how it performs as I should be getting my corner cutter around the same time it shows up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wargames Thread - Roll 1d6 for Instant Regret Morale Check

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Went to the only miniatures/wargames/etc place in my city that would have ASL stuff in their inventory...

"Haven't had a shipment in 2 years."

:(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone have any tips on Solitaire ASL? I can't really find anything to help me out and since I don't have anyone to play with I'm using VASSAL to practice my Starter Kit #1 stuff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Got my Hozan storage box/case and I'm really pleased with it.

Everything fits nice and tightly, plenty of dividers (and stickers). Container comes with 4 3x12 "shelves" and its all so well fitted that counters don't leave their compartments even if the whole case is upside down and tossed around a bit.

Anyday now I'll start clipping corners... maybe someday I'll even get to play it! :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trynant posted:

Acessories-wise, invest in a key-line. Like, the retractable line you can hook to key chains. It's the best line-of-sight string.

Starter kit is really not that bad to get played. I've taught the game and fumbled through the first scenario in around 2-3 hours. Just, you know, don't start play blind.

Ive done a thorough once-over on the infantry rules, and if all goes well ill have a lot of free time at work soon to set up a game solo and try to bumble through it. Itll be interesting to play both sides.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

I'm doing army lists for a Squad Leader game right now and I'm pretty sure we could have finished Cuba Libre by this point.

Do both at the same time :v: Winner of Cuba Libre gets the game balance advantage for his side in your next ASL scenario.

I wish BV was available for the sale :(.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So I'm trying to come up with some ASL house rules solo play to determine defender placement to remove my own bias, or at least provide a more random setup.

So far I've thought of:
- DR to determine defender's knowledge of initial placement, and if they get advantage
- DR deployment direction and style

I'm wondering if I should come up with something to determine combat style (IE: Always shoots at leaders ASAP, etc)

Thoughts?

quote:

Player rolls DR
White dice
If roll is 1 to 3 - Def. knows HIP
If roll is 4 to 6 - Def. fails roll

Red dice
Odd: Defender has advantage
Red: Attacker has advantage

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

You should look into getting Solitaire ASL :)

Can't find any 2nd Edition SASL, and I think it's out of print with no expected re-print.

Most of the stuff I've found online referencing SASL doesn't have any charts or rulesets.

There's a PDF about some solo rules but as far as I can tell its a dead link.

So for now, I'm stuck with making up my own rules as I bring my game to work tomorrow and play a solo game. Gotta make a 12-hour shift less boring somehow!

*edit* I may steal some stuff from your ASL thread COOL CORN, apologies in advance.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 8, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Go for it. I've been slammed at work and haven't had a chance to do an update in a while :(

Hmmmm, I could always just make a post about my game in your thread, if you're okay with it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Date: June 7, 1944

Following the invasion of Europe, German troops have been frantically trying to stem the allied tide from advancing further and further inland. To that end, elements of two Grenadier and one Fallschirmjager regiment have been approaching Vierville, an important crossroads for the Germans and an expected avenue of attack by US forces.

Wilkommen Kommandant,

Due to the Allied invasion, it is of critical important that you secure the town of Vierville. Reconnaissance of the area suggests that Allied, possibly US, forces are without support weapons or armoured vehicles. Unfortunately, so are we. At your disposal are several infantry elements that are on their way to wrestle control from the enemy. We believe that several allied units have already reached the outskirts of the town, but we cannot be certain until our troops arrive.

Victory Conditions
The Americans win at game end if there are no Good Order German units in buildings N5, N6, M4, and L3

code:
House rule dr was 6, Germans will gain advantage
Deployment
US Forces deploy on the board along hexes N3, N4, M5, L5, with no more than 1 MMC per hex

Tactics discussion
This is my first time playing Advanced Squad Leader, so let's see what I think can be done in the allotted time with the units I have at my disposal.

Since this is an all infantry scenario, I won't have to worry about support weapons. At the same time, however, I won't have any heavy weapons to help dislodge tough opponents.

The Southern part of the map has lots of wooded hexes, but are far away from my objectives, while the Northern part of the map contains lots of open ground and little protection.

I like to play defensively my first time around with a new game so I'm thinking about playing this cautiously. To that effect, my Eastern forces will deploy into K10, I10 and H10, and my Western forces will deploy into I1, G1, and F1. This will allow my forces to either move into the cover of the woods with views down streets and at some buildings or, from the West, move into buildings immediately.

I'm expecting house to house combat and maybe some melee too.

Board State as of Rally Phase of German Turn 01

*The scenario only uses hexes A through V
**Russian counters have been placed on US counters to act as fog of war

I know its just the deployment/first turn rally phase, but should I add more photos? More text?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I should also mention I plan to post this in COOL CORN's thread, making it easier for me and so I won't have to steal the awesome OP he posted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
German Turn 1

We have nothing to rally and no targets in LOS, can move right on to the movement phase (MPh)

First to move is our 4-4-7 (f), with his 4 movement factors (MF), traverses some open ground before ending his movement on the Woods-Roads for a total of 4 MF.

Second to move is our stack with a 4-4-7 and our 7-0 leader (Sgt. Baumann). They travel East through open ground, then North-East on the road before entering the stone building in I4, for a total of 6 MF.

:siren: DEFENSIVE FIRE ACTIVATED :siren:

As the Germans move into the safety of the stone structure, the Americans swiftly retaliate with the first fire of the day.

An 8-1 leader (Cpt. Highsmith) paired with a 7-4-7 paratrooper open fire on the Germans.

The DRM is as followers:
-1 for FFNAM (First Fire Non-Assault Move)
-1 for Leader ability
+2 for 2 orchard hexes between shooter and target
+3 for stone structure
= +3 DRM

The US player rolls a 5!

5+3 = 8 and since the paratroopers have a firepower of 7 (the first number in 7-4-7) it is checked on the 6 FP for the Infantry Fire Table (IFT) which gives us...

A Pin Task Check (PTC)! The Germans must roll a DR for each unit, equal or lower than their morale. The leader must roll first.

The leader rolls a 4, and passes his PTC.

The 4-4-7 doesn't, however, and has a Pin counter applied to him. He must end his movement and his firepower (FP) is halved. The unit may not advance during the Advance Phase (APh).

That ends the Defensive First Fire.

In the West, the remaining 4-4-7 (h) moves East into the stone structure in I2 for 3 MF.

In the East, our 3 stacks move West. Sgt. Alonzo and his 4-6-7 move to I7 with a good line of sight down the road. The 4-6-7 (H) following them ends in the woods at I8. The last 4-6-7 (J) has to end L8 because he only has 4 MF. Next turn I'll want him in a house.

Next: US Turn 1

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Feel free to use my thread all you want. It is called LET'S play, after all :)

When I get good enough to not have to check the rules every 2 moves (And second guessing all my moves) I'll probably try my hand at bigger scenarios.

I picked up Starter Kit #3 recently... and I'm so very very tempted to grab Rising Sun while the sale is on-going, but I still need BV :(

I'm starting to understand the woes of modules being out of stock/print.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I would almost say go ahead and grab RS while the sale is going on, but it would suck to have a game you can't play while you're waiting for BV to come back into print :(

You should see my Steam library! HEYYOOOO!

:(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hey COOL CORN, I think your link is broken, whenever I click on it I get the message on eBay telling me that the listing is either unavailable or has been removed.

Also, did you know that there is a World in Flames Letīs Play going on?

On another note, just ordered Amateurs to Arms after playing Mr.Madisons War today. I really liked the game as it went, another good CDG from GMT but I really missed the "big picture" so to speak, the naval blockade of the young states, the southern battles, the whole shebang with the indians outside of the Canadian theatre as well as the influence of the Napoleonic War still raging meanwhile. Anyone have experience with ATA that he/she wantīs to share?

From the World in Flames LP thread

COOL CORN posted:

I'll happily remove this if it's inappropriate to put here, but since this is a sort-of-hard-to-find board game...

I've accepted the fact that I'll never get this to the table. If anyone is looking for a cheap copy, I just put mine up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111741885950?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Question for the ASL players out there. When calculating LOS across terrain with buildings, does a building block LOS if the line is directly over a building depiction, or is it the entire hex?

I'm quickly learning that I should just shoot with everyone at everyone at all times. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any penatly for doing so in SK#1 other than less FP during certain phases/cases.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

rchandra posted:

According to some video I saw, the line has to go through the building itself, and it's not permissible to check that before you're shooting - checking the LOF is an indication that you're shooting.

Welp! Time to trash my current game and start anew then. I haven't been shooting with units on either side or certain phases because of that, mainly.

After listening to a bunch of 2 Half Squads, I think I'm going to keep an excel spreadsheet of all my games; file this one under "LOS confusion - must cross over building"

Oh, another question. If a firegroup of two separate stacks has two different DRM's to hit a target, do you use the lowest or highest one?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

The highest DRM (aka the more difficult shot).

Ok that's what I thought, thanks!

I seriously wish my city had an active ASL wargaming group.