Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

KoRMaK posted:

Moving to a new gig at Oracle?

lol.

Me right now after getting through arduous recruitment process :slick:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:yotj:! Instant offer after interview, reachable via Chicago public transit (train), salary jump and better politics! Goodbye, poo poo rear end giant corp, hello new corp.

:yotj: :respek: :yotj:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MJP posted:

:yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj:

OKAY SO
I GOT AN OFFER AND ACCEPTED IT

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sirotan posted:

I'm deploying this (well, S4B) to my org this weekend. I did some testing of course before I started to install it everywhere but am not entirely confident it's even going to work come Monday morning. :ohdear:

It's lync, it never works.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:suspense:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

larchesdanrew posted:

gently caress my gay rear end life. The "interview" was just me pissing all over a cup and then verifying that, yes, I know what a network switch is. The real interview with the hospital itself isn't until later.

So you're complaining the screening interview was too easy ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:boom:

Nice av as always

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pr0digal posted:

A machine isn't connecting to the SAN, better go check it out!

:aaaaa:

That would do it.

That doesn't look to ba- is that the fibre strands :stare: ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pr0digal posted:

I'm assuming a user kicked it right out of the box under the desk. That thing on the end is what it's supposed to plug into. Whole thing just popped right out.

Thankfully fixing it is not my problem :woop:

Its not a removable transceiver then ? oops

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RFC2324 posted:

Were you not aware that Scots are notorious hoarders?
Nice casual racism in the ticket thread

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RFC2324 posted:

Some of my best friends are scottish

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

iRend posted:

An interview came in.

We're interviewing a network tech / firewall dude for a SIEM / IPS role. Very similar area of expertise, but very different hardware/policies.

We've been told by higher ups we're not allowed to ask technical questions of the candidate.

What sort of questions are left???

Culture fit :sun:

But seriously wtf ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

larchesdanrew posted:

Apparently they hired an IT guy two weeks ago. He was supposed to start last Monday and then just never showed up and no one can find him.

He read this thread didn't he ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

PCOS Bill posted:

I thought nationalization made everything better and more efficient.

DroneRiff posted:

outsourced IT supplier

Oh look its the for profit private industry bit that's shite

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Agrikk posted:

Okay, so on Friday I was on a call with a partner and some of its sub contractors. Maybe ten of us on the call.

Partner decided that we needed, needed, to have video enabled on the WebEx session to build teamwork since most of us work remotely and in different countries, etc.

Meeting progresses and about 45 minutes in, one of the subcontractors stands up in front of his chair at his desk, drops trou and boxers, sits back down and starts to rub one out. On camera.

I cannot un-see this. :negative:

:dogbutton:

What the actual gently caress ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

FireSight posted:

I've brought this up to Apple, talked my way up to a "Senior Enterprise Advisor", and apparently having this on two networks with different network equipment isn't proof enough for a good on their end. Fuckers are making me take an AppleTV home and test it on a CONSUMER grade router to prove that it's an OS issue and not a network configuration bug.

This sounds reasonable, if they've never heard of this issue before it's probably something wrong with your switch / router configuration

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

go3 posted:

AV is just another line of defense.

Eh, it's actual effectiveness these days is incredibly low and there's been an amazing run of horrifically bad security vulnerabilities found in the most common vendors software.
Google "project zero" if you want more details.

For instance https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=693&redir=1

quote:

When you install TrendMicro Antivirus on Windows, by default a component called Password Manager is also installed and automatically launched on startup.

http://www.trendmicro.com/us/home/products/software/password-manager/index.html

This product is primarily written in JavaScript with node.js, and opens multiple HTTP RPC ports for handling API requests.

It took about 30 seconds to spot one that permits arbitrary command execution, openUrlInDefaultBrowser, which eventually maps to ShellExecute().[

TrendMicro helpfully adds a self-signed https certificate for localhost to the trust store, so you don't need to click through any security errors.

Using anti virus has become more of a compliance thing than actually improving the security of your network.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fishmech posted:

Sure, but it's also integrated into the OS these days in the first place, so it's essentially impossible to go without it unless you're pulling the sort of bullshit where you run hacked up "slimdown" OS installs to begin with.

Installing a third-party AV in 8/8.1/10 is kinda like insisting on still installing Trumpet WinSock to handle TCP/IP.

Windows 7 ? 4 eva

Also in some environments (PCI) you need to be able to provide regular reports on when virus updates were installed to prove you are keeping things up to date and third party tools make this easier.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

odiv posted:

So is the plan to just keep the people who browse like a moron off the internet?

In a business environment locking poo poo down via group policy so that only approved software can be run is way more effective. That and being on top of patching

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

go3 posted:

and in non-business environments?

online friend posted:

don't browse the internet like a moron, use adblockers and don't open shady emails

and don't download shady poo poo from wehavefiles4u.ru

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

go3 posted:

dont browse the internet like a moron.

christ we cant even convince people to stop getting blackout drunk while pregnant.

True, but paid for anti virus isn't going to do anything for these folk either

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thanks Ants posted:

So is the point basically that an environment with average users where endpoints can't be locked down with AppLocker should just be prepared to recover from backups a lot? I heard that AV is poo poo loads of times in the other thread but is there literally nothing that can be done if the user is an idiot and training is also not an option? Is OpenDNS Umbrella a load of crap as well?

If you can't train folk to stop doing stupid poo poo, and can't lock the computer down to stop them doing stupid poo poo then the computer is going to get wrecked, and possibly everything on your shared drives as well.
I don't know why this is surprising to anyone :shrug:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fishmech posted:

For that you'd use MSE because of course you would.

I'm not following that, Windows Updates logs when updates are installed, and MSE/Defender definition and executable updates (depending on OS version) are specifically called out in those logs. How can that be harder to track?

If you have a requirement to produce a report showing when definition updates were installed ( which lots of regs require now :smithicide: ) doing this with the free microsoft tools is loving painful by design.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Internet Explorer posted:

Even though we have 1000 feet of wall, front and back to work with, we must limit ourselves to 100 feet, one sided. This is to ensure compatibility with executions done in the early 1900s and not confuse the firing squad, causing a catastrophic failure. (Don't ask about the catastrophic failure that caused us to implement this policy, it was a doozy!)

:perfect:

Reminds me of my first job where the network was amazingly unreliable and I could never determine why, then we moved offices and I found all the chained hubs and cat3 (yes really) under the desks

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pearnicious posted:

Oh. My. God.

Someone is obeying the law by getting a permit to conceal a handgun? In a country where it is perfectly legal and normal for law-abiding citizens to purchase, own, and carry firearms?

GO TELL HR NOW! THIS LADY IS OBEYING THE LAW AND IS OBVIOUSLY A PSYCHO! :ughh:

There's no possible way that her passport is for something like a vacation or...here's a thought, maybe just to take a commercial flight within the US? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/13/real-id-law-facing-backlash-from-states-refusing-t/

Guns do stupid things to people's minds, as is evident here. I'd bet that all of you here in the US have probably been within 5 feet of an armed CCW permit holder multiple times in your lives in public places and been none the wiser.

If owning a gun somehow magically makes a person a psychopath murderer, then everyone here is magically a super-hacker by virtue of using a computer.

What's the "days since a mass shooting in the US" counter at currently ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Anyone who's excited !!!!! about being able to walk about with a loaded hand gun all day, shouldn't be allowed to own fire arms.

Also if you are bringing a loaded gun to your job in an office, you're a nut case.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

SEKCobra posted:

Pfft, obviously you implement policy to disallow this sorta practice. Hell, how am I gonna teach my users to not get hacked if I MITM them. Not to mention that it would be illegal here to even do that.

Why do you think users would notice ?

Also where is "here" ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Collateral Damage posted:

Generally when a system says your password can't be similar to a previous password then yes, it stores your password in plain text.

It is theoretically possible that it generates a small rainbow table of possible permutations when you set your password and checks against that, but I think that's giving people who think that enforced password changes is good security too much credit.

Uh no they don't.

Either: You have type in your previous password to change your password. So trivial to check the with the last one. Or they use the method that you think is only theoretical. Do you seriously believe AD is storing passwords in plain text ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Collateral Damage posted:

Well if you're providing the old password it's obviously easy to compare. But if it says "Your password can't be similar to your 5 previous passwords" then you know it has at least 4 of those stored in clear text.

But if you have the password "Password01" and then change it to "Awful123" and then try to change it to "Password02" and it tells you it's too similar to Password01, then it has Password01 stored in clear text somewhere. e: Unless you have generated rainbow tables, of course.

No, it has the hash of the Previous x passwords stored

You take the new password , repeatedly mutate it , generate the hash and compare to previous hashes

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'd like to apologize on her behalf :3: When I got my new cochlear implant processor and was told it was bluetooth compatible, I was so goddamn jazzed. And slightly weirded out. The music is inside my head now! :psylon:

woah, cyborg future :psylon:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Agrikk posted:

Ever get a case/ticket that you know is the leading edge of a very massive shitstorm, but the case creator just doesn't know it yet?

I got a support case escalated to me, followed by a very nervous phone call by <customer> VP of Operations saying basically the same thing:

"Hey Agrikk, we are running low on IP addresses in our Production VPC. Can you please increase the number of available IP addresses?"

So I take a look at the VPC in question and it has a /20 mask specified. and almost all of the four thousand IP addresses are in use. Welp!

Edit:

For those who might not know, it is currently impossible to resize a CIDR block on an existing VPC. Choosing the right-sized CIDR is literally The One Thing You'd Better Not gently caress Up when examining your VPC design for just this very reason.

AWS has a helpful doc on the subject:

That's it, just snapshot all of the production instances of a $XX billion company and flip them over to a new VPC! What could possibly go wrong with migrating and re-IP-ing several thousand EC2 instances, RDS databases and service endpoints?

Yeah, this is going to be a fun conversation to have. But at least I know what I get to work on for the next few months.

Why would you migrate them rather than just use cloudformation to bring up new machines in the new vpc ? If you have several thousand pets you're doing the cloud thing wrong

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MrMojok posted:

As I have established numerous times in the IT threads, I don't know jack poo poo. So again I come to you guys for ideas.

Today, and last week or the week before, people at several client sites discovered they couldn't pull up pinterest.com. The name couldn't be resolved.

At one site, I connected to their fortigate firewall and that firewall (using Cogent's DNS servers) could resolve pinterest OK. But the local DC could not. At one point on the DC I did dnscmd/clearcache and this helped the DC to suddenly begin resolving pinterest, however on the local user PCs even after ipconfig/flushdns they still couldn't.

Both times I ended up on the DC doing net stop dns&net start dns, and suddenly all local user PCs could resolve the site again.

Looking at the event logs on servers at the affected sites, I don't see anything other than the "DNS server encountered a bad packet from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" type errors. The only site I know of this has happened with is pinterest, although I assume others might have been affected and we just didn't know.

It has happened at sites where we use Cogent, and Level3 for internet. Although as I said when connecting to the site's firewall, I could resolve the name. It appears to just be an internal DNS problem in each case.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Do the sites that are unresolvable all have a large NS list like pintrest ? e.g. require a TCP response instead of a UDP one ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

SeaborneClink posted:

I secretly hope you're my company's TAM.

:same:

Agrikk posted:

It's cool. I hope that you are that user. :cheers:

a bit harsh :)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

GreenNight posted:

poo poo. Wrong thread :saddowns:

Made my day though

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue_monday posted:

My bosses are finally onboard with Macs in a Windows environment being a spectacularly bad idea. This is after three years of me telling him this, and repeatedly being demonstrated by the litany of problems the Macs have caused over the years. They are also now finally onboard with wireless devices being a bad idea.

Workplaces with competent IT have no issues with a mixed environment

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

We have constant issues with the Macs locking out AD users but I don't know enough about macOS to even know where to look in the logs to find out what or why. :(

Why are you looking on the mac, and not the domain controller logs ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not actually that incompetent, I don't think.

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know enough about macOS to even know where to look in the logs to find out what or why. :(

So the first thing you did when you realised you didn't know where to look was go research the right place to look, right ?

Or did you immediately give up because it was something outside your comfort zone ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LethalGeek posted:

It's almost like there is a pattern in the world with Macs, their users, and everyone being tired of their junk.

I use a mac, because that's what <currentjob> gave me. Had a pc at <oldjob>

Supporting them is not some complex esoteric thing. School IT departments manage this for gently caress sake.This is a solved problem that's trivial for someone competent. If you don't want to buy them for people then Apple's lack of a corporate repair scheme is a better reason.

quote:

They are also now finally onboard with wireless devices being a bad idea.

Missed this the first time. This is hilarious and also a massive :redflag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MF_James posted:

This all started because a guy complained about supporting a single mac

Inspector_666 posted:

We have constant issues with the Macs

• Locked thread