Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
In happier news, my friend, who works IT in a local school district, has just received a promotion to Systems Administrator. 9K pay increase, got 3 people under him. It's pretty nice. What's a good
"IT congratulations" expensive liquor? Preferably in a whiskey or rum.

He doesn't really read this thread often, though I have encouraged him to post here. Being in a school district, he has a few good stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I (assume) he meant to post that in the Achewood thread in BSS. The current Achewood comic ( https://www.achewood.com ) features a cat who has had traumatic underwear experiences. The last couple pages in the thread have been underwear discussion.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wait, has it really been three years since your exodus? :pysduck:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Didn't Dell just buy out the stock so he could take Dell private again? Wtf is going on over there?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Mah computer is like mah private castle. Anyone who vi-o-lates the integrity of it will see my wrath! :clint:

you guys are taking this thing WAY TOO loving PERSONAL. Go drink some more. Christ

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

There is a line between harmless prank, and completely taking someone out of service for [Quantifyably long period of time] in a production environment with what appears to be a catastrophic hardware failure. One's a laugh, the other can be an hour or more of frustration as poo poo appears to have just shat itself out of the blue when its some fucker changing a jumper config or some poo poo bringing down a resource on your own team, then complain at the end of the day that the same person is lazy and unmotivated when you done hosed him over and he knows it.

You seem to be assuming that he is lazy and unmotivated over this singular incident. Guy was deadweight to begin with. This guy isn't even the focus for you guys. He is immaterial. All of you are up in arms because he dared to touch another mans precious PC.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Couldn't you carry all you need on an external HDD? or would that just make too much sense for management?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Galler posted:

Those belts are generally not too bad to get back on.
Step 1) actuate tensioner to remove tension on the belt.
Step 2) stick belt back on following the diagram on a sticker in the engine bay (most likely).

Worst case you might need to spend $20 at Harbor Freight for a couple tools. Google "<car name> [year] serpentine belt replacement" and someone probably has written/videoed some instructions explaining where the tensioner is and how actuate it. lovely that it happened but as far as car poo poo to go wrong it could be a hell of a lot worse.

e: vvv :drat:

Yeah if you know what you are doing, it would take you 20 minutes tops. By the sound of things, you aren't too familiar with it, so I would suggest putting the money down for a tow to a shop and having them do it. Seriously, it would take longer to do it yourself, likely.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Didn't Dick Trauma's Pre-Tony boss, in fact, get hit by a bus?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Are we seeing the same AV here? All I see is a spike cod piece with some cartonnishly bright blood splatters. Not really worth all this bemoaning.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That basement is totattly my bag baby.
I get a little giddy thinking about rifling through the piles of stuff

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Then stop doing his job for him?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

My wife was recently embroiled in a battle for overtime pay at her job.

Man, I work at a Nestle Stouffer's plant in a city of about 60K, in Arkansas. I make close enough to 14/hr, with pretty decent benefits. That is pretty much entry level.
Your wife would make more money just driving around picking up cans than she is doing killing her self with overtime.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Volmarias posted:

With 2000 stores, they can pay you a bit more than $4/store. Consider the value you're adding, not just the time it's taking to build this.

You could get your trip to Europe AND a new boat.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy gently caress me running I've just discovered the downside to my current job. My boss is acting like he hired me in to his family instead of hiring me in to the business. He's being a dick over me leaving, hoarding over me how he 'saved' me from a sales job when I didn't have any experience just because he saw my potential. That I'm 'loving disrespectful' for pursuing job offers without asking him what hoops I could jump through for a raise. That I'm 'making GBS threads all over' him for telling him I had an offer before I accepted it, trying to leverage my position to take advantage of him.

Never mind the hard work I've put in to the last two years to put my company in a way better position than before I started.

Official letter of resignation goes in tomorrow, I expect my boss to emotionally dismiss my two weeks and kick me out on the spot.

Not that I am defending his behavior, Good lord, I am NOT, but that's exactly it. The guy is NOT looking at it like a business. He is super emotionally involved in the whole thing You were part of The Team
Plus, you have that carry over mentality from earlier years where you started in at the bottom, and stayed at one company, working your way up. Not really how it works anymore, but that may be how he sees it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dick Trauma posted:

This is amazing. Did you turn around to see her standing there glaring at you. Arm akimbo?

Jazz Hand

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Cloud Social Justice Millennials?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

pr0digal posted:

I get to help move this monstrosity in a couple of weeks. 1600 pounds of pure joy.

Thankfully it splits into two parts but it's going to be a fun process getting it out of the room.

Oh hey, you can just drop that off at my place. I'll take care of that for ya.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Crowley posted:

Almost all municipality admin staff is off to handle today's EU election. I've handled all my tickets, and my documentation is in order.

I'm bored enough to take pictures of my office, and now you get to suffer too!

Thank god for D list priorities! Now, where did they put the stapler oil?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zakutambah posted:

Do they want replicators?
Because that's how you get replicators.

We talking good replicators or bad replicators?
Because I'd dig me on some Star Trek replicators.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Segmentation Fault posted:

The sensitive documents are backed up but there's years of photos that are loving gone unless I can somehow pull a miracle with forensic tools. Shadow volumes exist but they don't go far enough back to before CryptoWall. Not sure if CryptoWall 3.0 just deletes old shadow volumes or if it neglected to do it but Windows deleted the old ones (would be a wonderful irony).

Sounds like someone is about to have an adventure with Bitcoins!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

I literally just made that account specifically to host that video. It's unlisted for god sake

It works fine for me?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Moey posted:

Smarter than all my end users.

I always liked the phrase " Give them enough rope to hang themselves"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Computer savvy" meaning someone who can manage to check their email four tries out of ten.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

please let him out of your basement.

That's entrapment.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

And before you ask, the production assistant has apparently already ruined 3 motherboards and even more processors on this experiment.

I ruined a motherboard by the CPU slipping out of my fingers and the edge falling right onto the pins. I spent an hour with a very tiny screwdriver, a bright light, and a magnifying glass. Still threw errors, though.
How did he manage to ruin a CPU, though? I suppose Static discharge, or dropping one on it's edge onto concrete?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

But none of that old stuff. I want something fresh. I want some made this year wine!

And it better have a little paper umbrella with it!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

seadweller posted:

Oh god it's Midelne's boss all over again. Anyone got that photo of his server room with the desk fan helping out? Where has Midelne gone? Did he get out of IT?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2834226&pagenumber=1224&perpage=40#post413450688

Midelne has popped up a few time in these threads when people ask about him. I don't recall what job he is working now, but he has said he just doesn't really have anything to contribute to these threads anymore. So, I gather that he has a decent role with competent co-workers.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

The school had the floors waxed.

No one told me they were doing this.

The company they hired unplugged everything.

The company they hired destroyed everything.

I have until tomorrow morning to completely redo every classroom and office.

gently caress my loving life.

Go out and do an emergency contract with some local company to fix those problems, and bill it directly to the school.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Nativity In Black posted:

You can guess which option they picked.

Not upgrading at all?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

iRend posted:

Currently in the process of handing an incredibly complicated system back to the client as they've decided to go for in-house management. We've managed it for at least 10 years and have senior engineers dedicated to specific sections - system management, policy, patching, etc. There's hundreds of appliances across multiple DCs and 100 years of combined experience with this product in my team and we have it running loving excellently.

Handover is to one bloke, over the span of a month, with twice weekly remote sessions.

THIS WILL GO WELL

Ya'll will get it back in 2 years after the dude burns it to the ground from lack of ...well everything.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Larches, I had a dream last night that I took a job doing IT Admin for a school. I sat down at my desk and realized I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
What are my responsibilities? Am I supposed to order stuff? Where are the vendor numbers?!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RFC2324 posted:

What is a network supervisor anyway?

Guy with a clipboard that makes sure the lights are blinking.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Inspector_666 posted:

At first I thought that IBM z13 was neon lighting, which would be :krad:

Giant Nixie tubes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Segmentation Fault posted:

Reset This PC on Windows 10 is pretty similar and I can't wait for everyone to get on it so we can live in an IT utopia

Yeah, screw decent coding, hardware is advanced enough you can just hit the reset button anytime theres the slightest problem.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

I need a vacation.

We lost our internet connection at 10:30 this morning. Verified everything on our end was working as it should. The AT&T circuit had no transmission activity on the fiber. I called in to open a ticket and they said to give them an hour to run tests and get in touch with local techs.

I call back an hour and a half later and ask about an update on the ticket.

:v: The ticket says "customer request ticket closed, no issue to report."

I most certainly did not. I tell her to reopen the drat ticket and get this figured out. She says to give them an hour to run tests and get in touch with local techs. :suicide:

I lose it and tell her I've got an entire school that has been without internet for hours. On top of everything, we've got a shitload of national tests being taken today, and it requires internet. I can't possibly wait another hour on this, so please elevate me to your superior so I can get something scheduled sooner.

Put on hold for 30 minutes and then the call is dropped.

It's now 4:45. We still don't have internet. Last I heard the tier 2 techs were reviewing test results on our circuit.

I've been pushing for a backup connection since I started. Director won't approve an extra $1200 a year to almost guarantee we don't have to deal with this again. It's apparently easier to just blame it all on me and get really pissed off every other month this happens.

*grumble grumble*

I really don't get how Major ISPs don't get shot up more often.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a tech out here who agrees. We seriously can't find one single person in the organization who is willing to give us the login credentials to the router.

This is absurd.

Have you tried tweeting these problems to ATTs tweeter channel? Seems like you can't get poo poo done nowdays unless you start yelling in a public space.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
loving TYOOL 2017 and SMS is still goddamn restricted.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

blackswordca posted:

Huh...

so.. my last job sent me for a training course at the end of 2015... It wasn't IT related, but they wanted it. Looks like they applied for and received a government grant in my name to pay for it...

The reason I found out is I just got a letter from the provincial government asking for my feedback on how useful the grant was for the training course I was on and if the training course has helped me in my current position or potential future positions.. it has not.

Edit:

Looks like the only reason I was contacted is because my mailing info is active in the governments system for my EI claim. All the contact info for the grant, which it listed at the end of the survey was set to && on each line.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how pissed off would the gubment be if they found out about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

" Error: Someone stole your trees!"

• Locked thread