Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Zhiwau posted:

We have 3 heavy duty Konica Minoltas that are more than 5 years old and I'm actually infatuated with them. Never nad so much as a paper jam with them.
Ssssssh! They'll hear you praising them and start burning everything just to watch you try to douse the flames with your tears. They are printers, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder if anyone manufactures plugs like this, three prongs so that the plug fits nicely into a socket but only the ground is actually wired. INVENTION IDEA: DO NOT STEAL!

It would be easy enough to make for yourself, just use two pieces of plastic for the hot and neutral leads, and then metal into the ground receptable.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Frag Viper posted:

We use Gmail at work.

I have this person at work right now that when they click on their drafts folder, and then click in the body of the drafted email the page refreshes and all text is then cleared and lost. Part of me wants to think that its because they have a metric fuckton of drafts in the drafts folder.

What the hell is causing this? Keyboard shortcuts are turned off, and they aren't using any labs that would cause this. Its such a simple issue, but the fact that this person is a director its blowing up in to a huge issue.
Is s/he using Chrome? I've had this same problem with outlook.com lately.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
"In Trucks"

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Western New York, where I live
Hey there WNY Goon! You in Roc or Buff?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Hello! Buffalo here.

Nerdrock posted:

Jamestown here.
I'm in Rochester, though my work territory occasionally extends itself to Buffalo and Jamestown. Are there WNY goonmeet threads? I very rarely venture beyond SH/SC or A/T. Have you guys- have you seen the sun? I did today. I'd nearly forgotten what it looks like. I grew up in the Hudson Valley and moved to Rochester in 2005. I guess since I grew up in Upstate I don't particularly hate the cold, but I don't like the gray, and by February I'm over shoveling.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

BrainWeasel posted:

"Does that feel bad? You all feel sick to your stomach? GOOD. When you all sit down to talk with [boss' boss' boss] next week, remember that feeling while you're explaining to him what almost happened here yesterday and why he needs to approve the funding for the actually sensible backup system I proposed two effing years ago. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go turn the servers back on; you'll have your access back in about an hour."

Shine on, you crazy BOFH :allears:
This man is who we all wish we could someday be

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

I feel like this is just the fastest way to get fired.
A questionable career decision, yes, but something we all dream of doing!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Danith posted:

The IBM HMC that our iSeries and AIX machine is set up on froze up over the weekend. The iSeries guy rebooted the HMC but it comes up to a blank background and doesn't accept any key combo that he could find to get a console up.. any ideas? I think I have the manual buried in the previous admins stuff he left behind but really have no experience with HMC and how it is set up. The one thing I found on google is that there could be issues if we have to reinstall it and don't know how the LPARS are set up.

Also if our AIX system goes down there would be no way to get it back up without the HMC :v:

Fun times
Your LPARs live on the managed systems, not on the HMC. The HMC just manages the hardware.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
"Sure, I'd be happy to help, please let me just run and get a cashier's check for the full value of my savings and checking accounts first before your company collapses."

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Please do the needful and return his call.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
A puppy came in....

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

(seriously CL is easy as gently caress to deal with and the 400 itself will hand hold you the whole way with prompts and help for every command).
This. OS/400 was designed as a turnkey be-all/end-all system for small-medium businesses with little or no IT staff. They're very simple to run and dirt reliable. I don't understand all the hate.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

We go live with this poo poo in less than an hour.

Murphy's Law is real.
Well I had plans tonight but instead I'm just going to be frantically :f5: for behind the scenes election coverage. What's the election, anyway?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Ask him to flush his dns cache
I legitimately laughed out loud at this one. Well done. Filing this away in the hopes I find a set up for this punchline.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

Wait, why the gently caress are VMs being stored on a USB drive?
Seconding this. :psyduck:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Eh, it could be valid for a USB 3.0 drive.
Bandwidth aside, it's still an awful idea.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

SAN over acoustic coupler. :getin:
Using FCoPPP?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Fibre Channel over PPP? Is this a thing?
Dear lord I hope not, but I kind of want to make it one.

flosofl posted:

Be sure to use an Ethernet to serial converter to bridge it over to the next building.
I have a customer with some ancient machines that have SNA (I think it's SNA) converted to 10baseT converted to fiber to do exactly this.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 22, 2015

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, nobody really knows what they are doing. Especially with Lync.
Skype for Business! :pseudo:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Is all this FTP stuff outward-facing? Did the Sony hack not put the fear of God into your bosses? I'm working for a new client whose security protocols would make Marvel Studios ask "how the gently caress are we supposed to get any work done?" (Marvel is known for having the most retarded of all security protocols)
I'm sure the Sony hack wasn't even considered by anyone in the organization beyond those who had to read about it on camera. The size and scale of Sony's operations are so far beyond that of a local news station in Mississippi that it's barely a comparison worth making.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

The Game of Broadcast Towers
In the Game of Towers, you win or you

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

Around 90 client machines, about 20 servers and a little over petabyte of total storage. They pretty much never have downtime which makes the fact that I have to upgrade their SAN a very fun activity.
This is why you need storage virtualization, like IBM SVC. Takes all the annoyance right out of doing manual upgrades and migrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

pr0digal posted:

Well mostly easier, it has its quirks but it is way better than Xsan and far cheaper (I'm assuming) than an Avid ISIS.

Re: Labor day: our office is officially closed but we have at least one 24/7 MSA so let's hope nothing breaks.
I don't know if xsan is a supported platform to be virtualized by SVC... I've never actually known anyone to use them. I see mostly IBM, EMC, Hitachi, and HP/3par storage managed by SVC. Still worth a look I suppose.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Zune HD (gently caress yeah)
Nice to meet the other person who bought a Zune HD!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

As a downstater, this would be my reaction to having to go to Buffalo too.
As a Western New Yorker (Rochester) :colbert:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

$15,000 later we got all our data back. I've worked almost 60 hours this week and my boss pulled two 40-hour days.

114 open tickets :(
Did you get a root cause for the failure in the first place? Sorry if you already mentioned, I can't remember.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Bitbucket overflowed.

EDIT: Haha what the gently caress is this?

Better than a spec bucket overflow.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Demons!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

OB_Juan posted:

Uuuuuugh lovely black box you HAVE to support. Uuuuugh. Congrats on editing an ini file by hand with no docs. Does supervisor even know how it all works? If so, super lovely not to explain it. Maybe escalate all related tickets to them until they get tired of it and pass the info to you?
Giving tickets to the CE does nothing but increase the average age of all the tickets in the system.

Also it probably increases the size of Larches' liver.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The directory tree of liberty must be watered with the sysadmin's blood.
This had better be the new thread subtitle.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I just enjoy not needing to deal with IBM. AIX is ok (even though I like Solaris more), but the engineers are a nightmare. Why is a shared library acting like a static one (linear increase in memory based on the number of processes using it) on some servers and not others? Engineers can't tell you. Rinse and repeat. I know reproducing and fixing bugs like that is a big PITA, I've sound found Solaris more "solid" than AIX. Also, gently caress PowerVM. But maybe AIX really improved in 7 (last I touched was 6).
Quick, somebody call Oracle, we've found Solaris' last remaining fan. AIX 5 or newer on POWER5 or higher metal runs stupidly well forever.

Edit: I know this is anecdotal but. I have two customers with mixed AIX/Solaris shops. Each has experienced a complete datacenter power loss in the past 6 years or so. In each case, they basically powered on their networks, then storage, then powered on their servers. All the IBM machines were happy and processing again with little to no intervention, while it took each customer a week to tease all the tangles out of Solaris.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

At least it's still better than HP-UX.
Something we can all agree on.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Raerlynn posted:

Isn't that a packet storm? I've had a bad switch do that too.
GM read all about in PC Magazine, and it's why larches should clearly be blamed for not implementing a Token Ring network to prevent this from happening in 1996.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I did a year at Xerox and the desks had little catches to release the table top and slide it forward around half a foot to reveal a cable dump area. The back edge was lined with a rubber strip so cables could fall into this tray wherever you wanted them to. They were sweet.
Xerox did A Thing that wasn't cheap and dirty?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I really like their MFDs, they come with a lot of native quality of life features that you have to pay extra for with other manufacturers.

Like central management worth a poo poo.
I mostly meant in terms of employment. Their devices are fine in my opinion, but their offices are generally depressing. Because who cares if your employeesresources are happy, right?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
It's a good thing I'm off work today because I certainly would be :f5: too much to get anything done.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He will learn nothing and will do this same thing to the next poor sap that fills Larches' chair.
Larches, I will buy a Forums account for whoever they hire to replace you at the station!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

Computer companies!
Is this a certain large, blue company that's existed for about 104 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Edit: I can't read

• Locked thread